RUMOUR: Carolina Kostner might come back to one of her old programs | Golden Skate

RUMOUR: Carolina Kostner might come back to one of her old programs

mateusp1

On the Ice
Carolina has been recieving harsh and severe criticism for her new programs. Skating fans are saying that the new programs are not up to the standard of her previous programs. The thing is: It seems that she really decided to come to one of her old programs. It is not clear yet which program she is gonna change. But, one site(please, see the link posted below) said that she would come back to the Bolero.

Here you can read more about the "change":

http://it.eurosport.yahoo.com/blog/...-potrebbe-essere-vincente-124355718--sow.html

http://www.olimpiazzurra.com/2013/11/pattinaggio-artistico-carolina-kostner-cambia-programma/

I have to say that would prefer Caro to use the last season SP(Frankenstein) rather come back to Bolero. First, because Carolina 2012/2013 SP was one of her best. Full packed of transitions, innovative, great choreography. And Bolero was very good, but not great. Also, I feel that, for this season, her LP(Sheherazade) is slightly above the SP(Humoresque). I see more potential in Sheherazade. Sheherazade has more transitions and choreography than Bolero. If she is gonna change, I would like to see Carolina changing both of her programs. For SP, she could reuse, 2007/2008 SP(Riders on the Storm, my favorite program ever) or 2011/2012 SP(Allegretto by Shostakovich) or the 2012/2013 SP(Frankenstein). For the LP, she could reuse the 2010/2011 LP(The Faune by Claude Debussy) or the 2011/2012 LP(Mozart). I find both Fauno and Mozart to be better programs than Bolero and Sheherade.

But, let's come back to reality: She might switch Sheherazade for the Bolero.

I would prefer to see a SP change, as I said before.

So, what do you think?

mateusp1

On the Ice
The main thing about the Sheherazade:

-She did not perform the program well yet. The jumps are not consistent.

-The costumes she wore so far are kinda bad.

I think that a well skated(and a new costume) for Sheherazade is going to be better than a well skated Humoresque. But, that is my point of view.

MasterB

Final Flight
I am not a fan of skaters going back to old programs no matter what. The thing with her new LP is that she has yet to skate it clean, or clean enough for us to really evaluate it plus the costuming has not helped.

If a change has to be made then I am all for a new LP.

mateusp1

On the Ice
I am not a fan of skaters going back to old programs no matter what. The thing with her new LP is that she has yet to skate it clean, or clean enough for us to really evaluate it plus the costuming has not helped.

If a change has to be made then I am all for a new LP.

That is what I mean... The LP was not well skated and the costume is not good.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't have any problem with her going back to an old program. I do have to wonder what she and Lori were thinking in choosing Scheherazade in the first place. I don't like her short program, particularly, but I think she should keep it and change the long program. Her Bolero would make a big statement at the Olympics if she skated it well. I think she should go for it!

thinspread

On the Ice
I think the choreography for her SP is of a novice quality, so it will help her if she change the SP. Her Bolero from the last season would not make a good Olympic LP. I always thought it would better suit as an exhibition program, not a competitive program. Too empty of choreography and too much posing.

mateusp1

On the Ice
I am mad at Lori.

She has always given Carolina great programs and choreography. But, in the last(and Olympic) season, she gave Caro bad programs(overused music and generic choreograpgy).

jaylee

Medalist
I have to say that would prefer Caro to use the last season SP(Frankenstein) rather come back to Bolero. First, because Carolina 2012/2013 SP was one of her best. Full packed of transitions, innovative, great choreography. And Bolero was very good, but not great. Also, I feel that, for this season, her LP(Sheherazade) is slightly above the SP(Humoresque). I see more potential in Sheherazade. Sheherazade has more transitions and choreography than Bolero.

I think you make good points. I agree that Scheherazade has better/more transitions and choreography than Bolero, but people seemed to really like Bolero (more than I think it deserved).

I think Carolina's SP last season was most definitely better than her SP this season, BUT the difference doesn't merit a change. I think Scheherazade doesn't have enough potential to be received better than Bolero, and would prefer for her to go back to her Mozart or Faun FS.

thinspread

On the Ice
Lori Nichol better retire, if she keep producing these mediocre choreos. I would characterize her works over the last few years as full of repetition and plagiarism.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the choreography for her SP is of a novice quality, so it will help her if she change the SP. Her Bolero from the last season would not make a good Olympic LP. I always thought it would better suit as an exhibition program, not a competitive program. Too empty of choreography and too much posing.

I disagree regarding Bolero. Carolina got a 70 on her LP components at 2013 Worlds--higher than Mao's PCS. For the short program, what will matter is whether she completes her elements. Carolina will score high on the second mark if she skates clean.

russell30

Final Flight
I disagree regarding Bolero. Carolina got a 70 on her LP components at 2013 Worlds--higher than Mao's PCS. For the short program, what will matter is whether she completes her elements. Carolina will score high on the second mark if she skates clean.

I believe its Bolero :biggrin:

BlackPack

Medalist
If it's a masterpiece, I have no problem skaters recycling old programs. The judges know that Caro had new programs this season that haven't worked, so they won't attribute it to laziness.

Bolero would be the best choice. It was one of the finest Boleros ever when clean. Agreed about the costumes - they gave her a stereotypical campy, novice skater's look, not the look of a champion.

elif

Medalist
I think you make good points. I agree that Scheherazade has better/more transitions and choreography than Bolero, but people seemed to really like Bolero (more than I think it deserved).

Sorry but I didn't see any choreography.:rolleye: She is doing a lot of crossovers and she has long long wait before the jump, couple of poses here and there and thats it. A least she is feeling the music at Bolero.

msadot

On the Ice
Still, Caro said these programs represent her better than the ones she had before. Anyway, she would not be alone if she decides to change her programs or get back to the old ones. :)

jaylee

Medalist
Sorry but I didn't see any choreography.:rolleye: She is doing a lot of crossovers and she has long long wait before the jump, couple of poses here and there and thats it. A least she is feeling the music at Bolero.

Er, same statement applies to Bolero. My general impression was that there was more movement and more transitions in Scheherazade than Bolero. But there isn't that much in either.

Icey

Record Breaker
Is Lori going to give her a refund? lol I think Lori took on too many skaters for this Olympics. Carolina is not skating her programs well yet and going back to an old one does not guarantee that she will skate them well either.
I don't think muscle memory last that long.

flying camel

Medalist
I always like Carolina's music, but I don't feel the choreography in her current programs is as good as some previous programs. I think she should keep both programs and look to improve some of the choreography.

mateusp1

On the Ice
As I(and other people here) already said, a new costume and clean jumps would make the LP much better.

The SP needs more transitions and polish. For me, it looks a bit generic and junior. It does not suit Carolina's style. The SP song would make a masterpiece for Alissa, Mao or Kiira. The music(Humoresque) is not for Carolina. It is hard for me to say that, because I am huge fan.

Iscariot

On the Ice
Well the judges are not having any problem with her programs, I mean look at the PCS she is getting even with mistakes, sure the long program isnt something great as we were all expecting but she can changed the coreography, she is not going to the final after all.