Anyone going to Canadian Nationals 2014? | Golden Skate

Anyone going to Canadian Nationals 2014?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'll be attending the Nationals live this year (the dance, pairs, and men's free skates). I'm very excited because it will be my first time in years seeing Patrick Chan live (I was at the 2006 competition, but I don't even remember if he competed in senior then - he definitely wasn't a frontrunner). Since everyone says he's so much better live than on TV, I want to see what they're talking about. It'll also be my first live skating competition since Skate Canada 2008. Is anyone else going?

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I am planning to go to Canadian Nationals this year, coming from Washington State and booked in at Comfort Inn West in Kanata. Does anyone know if there is a bus or some public transportation to get to the Canadian Tire Centre? Any other pertinent information would be appreciated.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am planning to go to Canadian Nationals this year, coming from Washington State and booked in at Comfort Inn West in Kanata. Does anyone know if there is a bus or some public transportation to get to the Canadian Tire Centre? Any other pertinent information would be appreciated.

Paul!

So sorry we won't see you in Boston, but cool you are going to this competition! Hope all is well!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

There are event buses from some of the major transit stations (which I believe may include the Terry Fox transit station in Kanata) to the Canadian Tire Centre. This is the page, although the info doesn't seem to be up there yet. I'm hoping they actually are having them this year. IIRC, they had them for Stars on Ice when I went in 2012, so they should since this is a bigger event:
http://www.octranspo1.com/events/2013/12/26

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Mrs. P: Thanks for the nod. I hope you have a great time in Boston and get to see some good performances.

blue_idealist: Thanks for the octranspo website. I will keep checking to see if they offer anything in scheduled service or the special event service.

If any other Golden Skaters are there, I would enjoy meeting you and saying hi. I will be generally sitting up high in Section 101 for the Seniors and am planning on staying through the Juniors as well. I will be wearing a gold colored baseball cap with "Golden Skate" and "PaulE" written on it.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Paul, let us know if you are considering going to SC this next season. If SA is inconvenient, I may go since it is only five hours away from Spokane. Have fun in Canada...Chris
Mrs. P: Thanks for the nod. I hope you have a great time in Boston and get to see some good performances.

blue_idealist: Thanks for the octranspo website. I will keep checking to see if they offer anything in scheduled service or the special event service.

If any other Golden Skaters are there, I would enjoy meeting you and saying hi. I will be generally sitting up high in Section 101 for the Seniors and am planning on staying through the Juniors as well. I will be wearing a gold colored baseball cap with "Golden Skate" and "PaulE" written on it.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

If you haven't seen it yet, it's up there now. I may come say hello since I'll be in section 120.

http://www.octranspo1.com/events

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks for the octranspo link. I decided to rent a car from the airport after I read all the negative reviews about the taxi service so I probably won't need the bus. Of course this all assumes that I will actually get there. The weather in Ottawa doesn't look too bad (just cold) but my flight from Seattle goes through Toronto. I am just hoping the cancellations stop by Wednesday. Please say hi when you see me. If I don't forget it, I will have my gold ball cap on.

Good luck to all the skaters and fans who have to travel to Ottawa, I hope their trips are not too bad.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Thanks for the octranspo link. I decided to rent a car from the airport after I read all the negative reviews about the taxi service so I probably won't need the bus. Of course this all assumes that I will actually get there. The weather in Ottawa doesn't look too bad (just cold) but my flight from Seattle goes through Toronto. I am just hoping the cancellations stop by Wednesday. Please say hi when you see me. If I don't forget it, I will have my gold ball cap on.

Good luck to all the skaters and fans who have to travel to Ottawa, I hope their trips are not too bad.

Well, I hope you do make it. It's a shame if you'd have to miss it because of the weather.

Coriana

On the Ice
The forecasts for Toronto and Ottawa from tomorrow on are good. So, we should all be fine. Skaters may have been caught up in the mess yesterday though.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
My commuter flight to Seattle was cancelled due to fog an hour before it was due to take off. So, while I was debating about driving to Seattle, I checked the flight status of my Air Canada flight tomorrow morning and it shows as cancelled. So I am staying home tonight and debating about cancelling my whole trip. I wonder how the skaters from the West Coast are doing with their travel. Maybe flights from Vancouver that go direct to Ottawa are not having the same problems that flights via Toronto are? Anyway, my best wishes to anyone who is underway and trying to make it to Ottawa.

emdee

Final Flight
My commuter flight to Seattle was cancelled due to fog an hour before it was due to take off. So, while I was debating about driving to Seattle, I checked the flight status of my Air Canada flight tomorrow morning and it shows as cancelled. So I am staying home tonight and debating about cancelling my whole trip. I wonder how the skaters from the West Coast are doing with their travel. Maybe flights from Vancouver that go direct to Ottawa are not having the same problems that flights via Toronto are? Anyway, my best wishes to anyone who is underway and trying to make it to Ottawa.

Kaetlyn, Kevin, JeremyTen, Lawrence and Swiggers and a few others could have difficulty. All those in Detroit or Ontario and Quebec are in driving distance so they should be ok. I remember at worlds last year Kaetlyn was stuck at Toronto airport for 3 hours.

I think all will get flights but they wont get the rest up in Ottawa pre event that they wanted.

Coriana

On the Ice
Skate Canada has the practises - and any not broadcast on CTV, TSN and the French equivalent. I assume TSN will have on events online.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm trying to find some live streaming for Canadians but can't seem to find what network is covering the event. Help please.

It's TSN but I'm not sure if they're doing live streaming or just TV. I don't even get that channel with my basic cable package, so it's a good thing I'm attending in person. I guess the only ladies I'll be seeing is those who get uploaded on youtube or the TSN website.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

I'm sorry to hear about your travel troubles - hopefully you find some way to make it, if you still feel like going.

Sara D

Spectator
Nationals!

Hello all GoldenSkate Members!
I will be attending Nationals for the full 3 days of competition and full practice sessions tomorrow. I live in Kanata so it would be an easy commute.

I you will be all coming from Hotels from Kanata, you can the 96A (make its 96A!!) direction towards ScotiaBank place.

I would love to finally meet you all (even though I haven't been actively on for a long time) but I do continue reading all your great comments concerning figure skating. Any particular place or time we can meet?

I will be attending the practice sessions tomorrow and will be there all day.

See you there!

Sara D