4. Martin Rappe 54.72
5. Franz Streubel 67.95
6. Peter Liebers 81.76

Nice program by Peter!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
If you have any questions, just shoot.

When do the junior skaters compete? Except for synchro.

Good score for Liebers. I like his skating and hope he does well at Euros. This is the first season he tries the quad, right? Has he nailed it in competition? He and the rest of the German team really deserve to go to Sochi.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Scores for the pairs,

1. Wende Family 59.96

Both are a bit sick right now, gastric flue but the program didnt seem to suffer under it. But you can imagine what a big issue this could become at the LP tomorrow.
As for the program, their opening double Toe went fine, but the second had to be downgraded sadly as Maylin had to open her´s up. The other elements all went fine, DS, Comb. Spin and Step sequence received level 4 - also good GOE between 1-2.

2. Aljona & Robin 76.29

Both are dressed in blue and white, looks great! Not sure if Aljona made the dresses though ;)

It was the first time that I actually saw them live this season and I got to say, their SP is really impressive, especially the triple Flip - great speed and height.

As I said earlier, the way how their programm is choreopgraphed, the expression in Aljona´s face especially during the step sequence - it just works so well with their last season. I only noticed one mistake and this could become a costly one at Sochi. Robin struggled with their Toe jump.

3. Mari & Aaron 60.42

Just like Maylin and Daniel, one mistake (he fell at the triple Toe) but still the second place at the moment.

Alex D

Record Breaker
When do the junior skaters compete? Except for synchro.

Good score for Liebers. I like his skating and hope he does well at Euros. This is the first season he tries the quad, right? Has he nailed it in competition? He and the rest of the German team really deserve to go to Sochi.

Yes Peter performed a Quad Toe (tiny issues but landed) at the start of his programm and also a very nice triple Lutz - triple Toe that received a highlight distribution bonus.

As for the juniors, well they do have a seperate german nationals in January, those will be help at Oberstdorf.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Synconized Skating

Wow just saw some Syncronized skating, damn thats some impressive stuff! I already have trouble to not collide with a single person, but those young ladies somehow managed to not collide with up to 16 skaters!

Every skater in those large groups had to be in sync with the others, but also aware of whats happening around them - really impressive stuff.

They also have such cute names like Scarlet, Skating Graces etc. My favorites definately were the Skating Graces Novice, loved their dresses in the colours of Saxony which they also represented. Also from my home state were the Saxony Ice Pearls they were different and in a uniform outfit, but not worse at all.

I think it was a real pity that there were only one or two teams actually competing today + they only had FS´s to offer! I wonder why this is the case? Are there just not enough young ladies available for that type of sport?

And why was it only Saxony, Bavaria and Berlin that had teams ready for the competition? Questions I need to find the answers to for sure.

Without competition Team Berlin Novice won in the advanced novice Sys Free skating, with competition however the Skating Graces did in the Basic Novice A, versus the Saxony Ice Pearls.

Definately need to check this more often in future, lovely sport and imagine this at the Olympics - I say why not!?

Ladies in a bit...

Alex D

Record Breaker
Ladies competition

Group 1

Jennifer Parker 48.50

First of all, this young lady just always reminds me of Sasha Cohan. She just does something on the ice when she skates, which is really enjoyable. Every spin was level four, her layback - wow, it received only 2´s and a three! Show me a skater who is able to do this, they are quite rare!
She has an amazing flexibility and her expression of a shy kitten just worked so lovely with that soft music of Ladies in Lawender, that she skated to. Jenny managed to put her triple Toe - double Toe combination on the ice, while both the double Axel and her triple Rittberger were a bit shaky - she still managed to stay on her feet.

Jenny is coached by Brian Orser and was originally born in Canada - I could imagine something big in future coming with this young lady.

Luisa Weber 34.27

Oh dear, that wasnt her day unfortunately. Lets just skip the talk about her jump elements and talk about something nice! Her spins like the flying camel received a level three, her combination spin even level four. Its a pity that she let her negative emotions out so often, but understandable after such a tough skate.

Jessica Füssinger 31.39

I loved her reaction after the triple Toe - single Toe, she gave herself a fist bump and us a big smile. I wish it would had kept going like this, but unfortunately did she fall on her double Axel and triple Sal which was also underrotated.

Still, a nice young lady and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for her.

4. Anne Zetzsche 44.61

I absolutely like this young lady. She has such a great personality on the ice, her whole appearance fits so well to the white black pattern of her dress, which always reminds me of a curtain and I dont mean this disrespectful at all, quite the opposite actually. It looks absolutely fantastic and works so lovely with her blond hair and even the gloves fit amazingly well. For me the girl with the best dress and style today!

Anne is one of those skaters for me, that I instantly let in my heart when I saw her for the first time. Her whole attitude just works for me, she is a bit like a Fin - a graceful butalso sensitive skater. The way how she does the double Axel..., at other skaters those jump preperations can look a bit irritating and boring - but Anne? She just does it in style and its most likely my favorite element of her, even if it was just a single Axel today. Her triple Toe - double Toe however was very well performed so was the level three step sequence.
Absolutely looking forward to her tomorrow - great girl with a wonderful style.

5. Anneli Kawelke 44.08

Oh god that poor girl!

I think she was crying at the end, something just went totally wrong there. The music kept playing and playing and playing, and that poor girl was standing there in her final pose and the music just didnt stop. I so felt for her, that must have been horrible!

Anneli wore a red dress with long red gloves, she looked very elegant and performed her double Axel and the triple Sal - double Toe combination just fine, same applies to her triple Toe. She even had 2 level 4 spins in her program - its just not understandable what happened. It was such a pity!

Definately rooting for this one tomorrow!

Group 2

6. Minami Dobashi 35.10

What I liked about her was the interaction with the crowd. She always tried to crack a smile for them, I liked that. Minami performed a double Sal - double Toe combination, sadly her triple Toe afterwards had to be downgraded.

7. Nicole Schott 47.36

She definately rocked her green dress, I really liked that. She also rocked those level 4 spins at the end, damn those looked great! Nicole also performed a triple Toe - double Toe combination and a nice double Axel. Just her triple Rittberger was sadly underrotated.

8. Jenny Urban 44.81

Wow, that young lady really impressed me with her ability to just never stand still. She was in constant motion, her legs, arms, fingers - it was great to see and she kept this going for the full SP! Amazing stamina she has, but also the smile never left her eyes! I am sure she is also a very good dancer, as she never lost control over her body, her moves were spot on!
Jenny performed some lovely level three spins and a great stepsequence of equal level. Just her jumps were a bit off, but as I said - it still was a great performance with an amazing attitude throughout the program.

9. Sarah Hecken 47.56

Wow, while I saw it so often - it still always shocks me. Sarah jumps a triple Toe - triple Toe, the first Toe with a great wide and then ... both underrotated, so was her trple Sal. You could definately feel the "shock" in the crowd, they couldnt believe their ears when they heard the score of only 47.56.

But now to the positive things, her program was quite dramatic and she managed to express that with her movements and the expression in her face, especially the level three step sequence showed that well. While you should never lose hope, right now Sarah doesnt look like she is going to her second olympics, back in Vancouver she was the youngest athlete for Germany, now she might have to watch it from her couch :(

10. Nathalie Weinzierl: 60.83

During the practice and again during the SP I had just one question! How can someone perform with such big ear rings!? She obviously can and it was a very sexy skate as well. Nathalie performed to fever and she expressed that "fever" very lovely with her glothes (short & sexy) - but also her emotions. She is quite a girl to be honest, she is totally "cold" so to speak, but once the music goes on - boom she is there!

Nathalie didnt put a triple triple combination on the ice today, but a very good triple Toe - double Toe and a lovely triple Lutz. Her other elements like the fying sit spin or the comb. spin received a level three or four!

Nathalie is currently in the lead by a tad more than 2 points before....

11. Sandy Hoffman

She is together with Anne my favorite for sure. Lovely interpretation of her music with the haunting vocals, it was just spot on with her movements on the ice. She nailed her jumps like the triple Sal, Triple Rittberger - double Toe on the ice, she had a wonderful comb. spin at the end, great speed and I say it again, her attitude is absolutely gorgeos.

The way how she floats over the ice, is fantastic - yes there are skaters with triple triple combinations and triple Axels, but seriously that young lady has absolute grace on the ice and she isnt afraid to place a double Axel at the end! One of those I would absolutely love to see at Budapest, no offence to the other skaters but she is definately one of my favorites together with Jenny Parker.

End Result SP Ladies:

1 Nathalie WEINZIERL MERC B-W 60.83
2 Sandy HOFFMANN DESV SAS 58.43
3 Jennifer PARKER ECO BAY 48.50
4 Sarah HECKEN MERC B-W 47.56
5 Nicole SCHOTT EJE NRW 47.36
6 Jennifer URBAN ECO BAY 44.81
7 Anne ZETZSCHE DREC SAS 44.61
8 Anneli KAWELKE ERCM BAY 44.08
9 Minami DOBASHI DEG NRW 35.10
10 Luisa WEBER MERC B-W 34.27
11 Jessica FÜSSINGER ECO BAY 31.39

Alex D

Record Breaker
Day one, as it happened:

Internet vs. food

A good journalist can live without food and water for quite some time - but take away his internet for a few minutes or even a whole weekend and he will starve to death.
Many of my collegues had no internet access today, something just went wrong with the internet provider that should take care of that. Lucky me, I always have my mobile internet with me - so I was safe and could give you the updates that you are used to.

What we got loads of though, were drinks (non alcoholic of course) and cookies just like some cucumber salad.

Ik bin en Berliner

If you believe it or not, there were actual people in the house! I was watching the other nationals like from Sweden or Finnland on stream and there were hardly any people, glad that at Berlin we had some and I would even say it was not badly crowded to be honest.
Exactly that crowd, went behind Christopher Bernecks today, when his music first studdered like a broken record and then totally stopped working. The last minute and a half the crowd was cheering him forward, keeping their hands busy and Christophers feet as well. It was great to see, that the people in the crowd understood the situation and kept pushing him! Christopher scored 60.35 points and is currently on fourth position.

The Quad

Yes we had him today, he came from Berlin and listens to the name Peter. But not like Peter and the Wolf, but more like Peter and the Toeloop. While the jump itself wasnt perfectly landed, he still did exactly this - land it! But this wasnt the only big jump of him today, he also nailed a triple Lutz - triple Toe quite late in his program and performed some nice level two and three elements, but also a level four change foot sit spin.

Second came Paul Fentz trailing by about 14 points, he performed a triple Lutz - triple Toe combination and a clean triple Axel, but sadly fell on his triple Rittberger. I really liked his step sequence and the flying camel level four that he performed and how the crowd got behind him during that.

Third is the german Mozart, Franz Streubel who can do a lot better than what he had shown us today with his triple Lutz, double Toe combination.

Sweet little 16

There was a figure skater once, that figure skater wanted to skate. Sadly there was no ice around. So that little figure skater, was looking for another and they started to build an ice rink. More and more young ladies saw how those two build the ice rink, so they joined them and when they were 16 and the ice rink finished, they learned each other known so well, that they decided to skate together from now on and syncronized skating was born.

While this is probably not exactly how it happened, it does make a good introduction to the next topic in my daily review. I am honest, I seldom watch syncronized skating, reason being? Well, its not in TV, not in the internet - its nowhere except in the Ice halls of Saxony, Berlin or Bavaria.

I really have to say, that I was absolutely impressed by what all those girls and one boy did today. While I am not exactly keen on all the elements, it wasnt as hard to understand as I thought first. A skater basically needs a very good footwork, speed and the ability to read all the other skaters and interpret together the music that they skate to.
Then you need to perform specific elements, like lines, blocks, circles or wheels. By doing so you must stay in sync and most important, not collide with other skaters if you move towards each other. But not everything must be together or syncronized. It can also happen that a specific individual skater performs a spin herself, like seen today at some of the groups. They split from the group so to speak and perform something I would describe as a freestyle. Just like in dance groups, if you are familiar with that.

I must admit, I would really like to see a lot more of this - but unfortunately there were never more than two teams per discipline. My favorite team most likely came from Saxony, they had the cute name Skating Graces Novice , but also their elder "sisters" were really nice to watch when they performed a dubstep interpretation, where they partly moved in slow motion, but dont forget the Starlets or the Saxony Ice Pearls either - great groups!

A team that stood out however was Team Berlin 1. Not only did they have one guy in their line up (maybe for lifts tomorrow?), no they also had outfits that totally reminded me on my time in the US, with the cheer competitions. Absolutely loved their outfit and what they did with the music.

In general, a great sport that I need to keep track of. There are actual world championships of that type of skating, I wonder why they dont just add it to the regular skating events? I would definately support it.

The beauty and the beast

Nelli & Alex, the princess and the nerd. I absolutely loved it how they started their performance today. Alex was a fool, a nerd - a guy no girl wants. Yet Nelli came over and most likely fell in love with the empty expression in his face, or his awesome glasses maybe...
While he was shy and turned his back to her, she convinced him to start a dance. What sounds so simple, developed to a very enjoyable and funny ride on the ice with loads of small details in their choreographie.

A totally different approach but not less interesting was the performance by Stefano & Tanja who came second trailing by about 4.80 points. Those two can do big things in future - their approach is totally different, but they can hit you in your heart.

One last time

this Aljona and Robin said at the begin of the season. About 10 years ago, they won here at Berlin and there is no doubt about it that they will do the same this time.
But their road wont finish here at Berlin, no it will at Sochi and only gold counts. Problem is, a strong russian pair in Volozhar / Trankov - who wants that gold at least as much as those two from Chemnitz do.

The program of Aljona and Robin is very emotional, its totally choreographed for that one purpose, to hit you in your heart and it did in my case. I was sitting there with an open mouth and yes, I like it as much as I like V&T - maybe even a tad more.
The performance itself today was very good, but with a small error at the double Toe. A error that wont matter here, but could be the decider at Sochi.

A decider we still need about our second german team! Right now Vartmann / Van Cleave are on that second position, closely followed by the gastic flu plagued Wende Family. Both pairs had a mistake today, bot pairs want that ticket and both pairs need to skate for their Olympic dream tomorrow. While Daniel and Maylin have been at Vancouver already, Mari & Aaron are still Olympic virgins so to speak.

Jenny, Sandy & Anne

I said it before, keep an eye on Sandy Hoffman and I was right. Damn what a big performance this young lady had today. She floats over the ice with an elegance, that is just fantastic and her jumps like the triple Rittberger - double Toe were spot on, just like her attitude on the ice is. While she isnt leading, that is Nathalie Weinzierl with a very hot and sexy performance to Fever - she still is the one together with two others, that just stood in my head today.

One of my big favorite girls is Anne Zetzsche since Dortmund. I just love how she rocks that dress, which looks a bit like a curtain. For me the best outfit of the day and the way how she goes to her Axel is just something else, but I really like it. The preperation is even more exiting than the actual jump, at least for me.

Also exciting was the performance of the Candadian girl Jenny Parker who is coached by Brian Orser. Her expression of that shy kitten, just worked lovely with the Ladies of Lawender music and oh my god is this young lady flexible. She bends her legs, like a Russian!

Last but not least a few words to Sarah Hecken. Sarah got her jumps once again downgraded, its a problem everyone knows about - but yet it doesnt seem to go away. Its so sad, because I really like Sarah since she was that young junior girl, that some praised in every article they wrote and she even was our youngest competitor at Vancouver! Personally, I just wish she would be able to perform her jumps - its whats keeping her back since years and its a real pity in my opinion.

Ultima last but not least, a big heads up to Anelli Kawelke. The music guy loved her so much, that he played the XXL version of her CD and therefore she did run into a few issues at the end of her performance. Such things just happen and they will make you stronger! In the end you have won two fans today, the music guy and me ;).

David21

On the Ice
End Result SP Ladies:

1 Nathalie WEINZIERL MERC B-W 60.83
2 Sandy HOFFMANN DESV SAS 58.43
3 Jennifer PARKER ECO BAY 48.50
4 Sarah HECKEN MERC B-W 47.56
5 Nicole SCHOTT EJE NRW 47.36
6 Jennifer URBAN ECO BAY 44.81
7 Anne ZETZSCHE DREC SAS 44.61
8 Anneli KAWELKE ERCM BAY 44.08
9 Minami DOBASHI DEG NRW 35.10
10 Luisa WEBER MERC B-W 34.27
11 Jessica FÜSSINGER ECO BAY 31.39

Thanks for the reviews. :)

I hope that Weinzierl will win the FS tomorrow and will qualify for Euros and Olympics. I was quite shocked when she landed that triple lutz out of steps in the SP. :laugh: I checked the result from last year and there Hecken got higher PCS than Weinzierl; glad to see that changed this year.

Anybody knows what the minimum points required by the German Olympic Committee are?

If Weinzierl hasn't reached them yet, there's only a few competitions left where she can try to do that.

Alex D

Record Breaker
@ Ziggy

Since the german team has qualified, it is very much likely that our Lady will also skate in the Ladies competition, no matter if "qualified". She is there, so why not "use" her ;)

THe req. score was, 145 points.

Just saw the practice Ice Dance and Pairs.

I absolutely love what Tanja and Stefano did, god is she pretty in her dress. Some really good lift´s as well, but also for Nelli and Alex - twizzle were not bad either, but a tiny + for Nelli and Alex there.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Ladies practice short´s

As you all know, Anne Zetzsche my favorite - she has got some big music and she skates so lovely to it, love her bending knee´s. While I saw the program before, it will definately be one of a few highlights this afternoon. Another definately goes hand in hand with Sandy Hoffmann - I put three words behind her name on my note block. Grace, Grace, Grace - such an amazing attitude on the ice and guess what, she does also like Snowboard like me!

I also enjoyed the program a lot of Anneli Kawelke, what a glamourous skate - a bit like a movie and I like what she does with her hands during the spins. She puts them almost flat on the ice.

Sarah and Nathalie - tough call to be honest, I like Sarah a lot but Nathalie as well and I am not sure yet what to make out of Sarahs LP. It has power and fire - but I didnt see enough to really give a good review about it yet.

I wish them all lots of luck!

Alex D

Record Breaker
Results men FS

1 Peter LIEBERS SCB BER 146.08
2 Franz STREUBEL ECO BAY 133.16
3 Paul FENTZ SCB BER 122.55
4 Christopher BERNECK SCB BER 120.52
5 Martin RAPPE CEC SAS 118.47
6 Matthias HECHLER SCKR NRW 78.03

Peter tried the Quad Toe but fell, afterwards he recovered with a nice triple A - triple Toe. Also his triple Axel later wasnt that well, but you must give him credit. Its a really nice program, he keeps looking up into the - nice interpretation to who wants to live forever, also his knee fall at the end.

Franz did a nice start with quad Toe and his triple Axel followed by a triple Lutz, sadly his Axels at the end just double.

Alex D

Record Breaker
You really need to give credit to Maylin and Daniel, what a skate if you consider their condition with the flu! Amazing!

They have such a wonderful programm, such a pity with that silly flu that weakened him. Amazing that Daniel could lift Maylin at the end. They received 172.42 in total.

Also a big fight for Mari and Aaron, but it wasnt enough sadly - just the third place with 168.45 points in total and yes, they were quite disappointed at the Podium.

Big big program for Aljona & Robin, some of the elements are just so spot on with the music, absolutely amazing work! You have to love the harmony they got on the ice - just great.
I have seen both pairs now and I cant decide who is the better one. It will be a very close decision I believe - a small error that will decide about gold or silver. Today Aljona and Robin struggled with the Axel which was just single and their triple Toe - triple Toe comb, Ingo of course saw a few elements where they left points on the ice - but overall a very good FS, that fits well to the final mission they got.

They of course won with 215.73

Final results in total

1 Aljona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY 215.72
2 Maylin WENDE / Daniel WENDE 172.42
3 Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE 168.45

P.S.

Aljona & Robin even received twice 10.0 for their choreographie, plus a 10 for int and performance.

BounceAround

On the Ice
Alex,

Thank you so much for writing these detailed reports. Watching skating live is a very different experience (than television viewing) for me, and it's always interesting to hear reports from people who attended the events. I especially appreciate the news about Peter Liebers. He is one of my favorites.

For those of us who couldn't attend, this Youtube user has kindly posted videos from the event:
http://www.youtube.com/user/handschuh1308?feature=watch

Alex D

Record Breaker
Alex,

Thank you so much for writing these detailed reports. Watching skating live is a very different experience (than television viewing) for me, and it's always interesting to hear reports from people who attended the events. I especially appreciate the news about Peter Liebers. He is one of my favorites.

For those of us who couldn't attend, this Youtube user has kindly posted videos from the event:
http://www.youtube.com/user/handschuh1308?feature=watch

Your welcome, more details will come in a bit - it will be a short night for sure :D

Alex D

Record Breaker
Ladies FS:

Group one:

1. Luisa Weber 96.73

Luisa does compete for the MERC just like Sarah and Nathalie do and she has already been the national junior champion in 2010. Her program today did unfortunately not start so well. She fell twice, first on the Toe and right after at the Sal. But Luisa is a fighter and kept going, her reward a nice double Axel - double Toe - single Rittberger combination, but also a good double Axel and a double Flip - double Toe in combination.
As a guy who obviously cant do any Bielmanns, I have to point out that she did one right at the end of her program, but also the other spins in her performance like the flying change foot were lovely to watch.

I am quite curious in which direction this young lady will go in future. With Peter Sczypa she has a coach who can produce good skaters and the most important tool, the fighting spirit she already has.

2. Anne Zetzsche 127.95

She is such a joy to watch on the ice and as I said many times before, there is just nothing that doesnt fit. Her attitude, the outfit, the choreo and that great expression in her face - it just all works so lovely together and puts a big smile on my face if I think about it.

Her skate today was a mixed bag though. She started with her double Axel - double Toe - double Toe combination, but sadly fell on her second element the triple Toe. Her change sit foot spin around half time received a level 4 and that step sequence - just great!

Anne also put a good triple Toe - double Toe combination on the ice, in general I loved her fighting spirit. If an element didnt work out so well, she didnt show it. She just kept on going and that positive attitude is something she should keep, it will help her a lot in future.

What she should also keep is her way how she spreads elements in her program. While she opened with three jump elements, she always tried to mix them up with a few steps or spins - something that was especially to see at the end of her program.

What I hope to see in future of Anne is a program without those sloppy mistakes, that she keeps her positive attitude on the ice and that she keeps on spinning! Great girl, that I will definately keep on eye on.

3. Jessica Füssinger 88.03

Jessy has been the vice junior champion in 2012 and had a really difficult skate today. I remember her from the NRW Trophy´s where she did compete at as a little one - well she still isnt a giant, but you get the message I believe.
For such a young skater nationals are already a big success and we had an almost full house, which can be quite heavy on you.

Therefore we wont talk about elements that didnt work due nerves, no we talk about those that she actually performed nicely like her Layback spin that received a level two. But also the way how she performed to the first musical change, was nicely done and it was great to see that she could still smile after elements that didnt work out so well. Last but not least, she tried double Axel, triple Toe and Sal - brave move no doubt.

4. Minami Dobashi 104.34

This is a interesting one. I am not 100% here, but I believe she either is a pair skater or was. She had a profile on ice partner search and I remember her being together with a guy called Alexander Völler in 2011. Sadly I cant give you the answer to that right now, it can happen however that pair skaters compete solo if their partner is injured. Maybe this is the case here?
As for her performance, well she did a nice Flammengo I believe (ISU website again! not up to date) and she tried to spread her jumps well and always had a little smile for the crowd. What I loved was her dress, damn that was sexy! She also tried to time her jumps with specific music elements, and performed a nice combination spin of level four right after her double Rittberger - double Toe - double Toe combination.

5. Anneli Kawelke 124.37

About 3 years ago, this young Lady learned a double Axel, today she performed this element twice, but also a nice triple Toe - double Toe and a triple Sal - double Toe combination. What men like me dont learn in 10 years, she did in less than 2 and she really rocked her dress. That looked absolutely lovely and fit so well to the type of person she is. On the programm components however, she really needs to improve and thats not because I dislike her style, I love the way how she skates! Its more about variety to be honest, right now she is a shy kitten on the ice and it looks lovely, but then again you cant stay a shy kitten forever.
Still, she is a cute skater and I definately keep an eye on her - which makes me just realise that I would need like 10 or 20 eyes this season, because I saw so many talented new faces that I want to keep track of.

Group two:

6. Nicole Schott 145.48

This young lady and former national champion made a huge jump from 5 after the SP to three after the LP. With one exception the triple Flip (slight wobble there), all her elements were clean and good performed including a triple Toe - double Toe, triple Rittberger, Sal and a great level three layback spin. She gave herself a big applause at the end and so did the crowd. She really deserved it as Nicole never lost her confidence and this was her reward!

She is quite a player on the ice as well, I had the pleasure to see her at the Exhibtion and oh lala!

7. Sarah Hecken 148.06

The gap between her and Nathalie is quite huge, which is mainly a result of the bad SP yesterday, but also today Sarahs technical score was about 13 points lower than of Nathalie. While yesterday all her jumps except the double Axel had to be downgraded, none were today. Sadly, she also didnt try her triple Toe - triple Toe element and also had to open up her Sal which didnt work at all today.

On the podium however, her smile worked great. It is something I noticed since years, she is a very lovely young lady but on the ice - she can be a real ice girl so to speak. What I wish for her is a clean program in a top competition some day, a clean SP and a clean FP with her triple - triple, those lovely spins and that fire in her eyes which is hungry for medals.

I follow Sarah as said yesterday for about 8 years now and I still believe in her, call me nuts but I just do.

8.Sandy Hoffmann 142.39

She performed to Evita and just like at Dortmund, it was a spot on performance. I really love her dress with that necklace and how she has her hair - it all works together nicely. I so wanted that great skater on the Podium, of course because she so deserved it, but also and yes I am an egoist there - I wanted a picture of that lovely girl with a medal around her neck for my desktop!

However, often things dont go as you want them to go and Sandy today, only skated the 5th FS with a really low technical score of just about 31. However, her programm components were above 50 points and this was the third highest score of the day and in my opinion, she was the best in that so called "B note". I just love what she does on the ice, it is absolutely entertaining from the first second until the last and you just dont want her to stop.

Sandy really tells you something on the ice, an ability even some world champions never had in that extent. You can argue now whats more important, technical or programm components or a mix of both. To me however, that "B Note" is what makes figure skating to such a lovely sport.
Jumps ok, I know how hard they are and kudos to all those girls that work their way up to single, double and even triple - you all rock. But honestly, nothing beats a story performed on the ice. Be it with grace like Sandy or Anne, be it with naughtyness like of Annika Hocke or be it something totally different - it doesnt matter, as long there is some art and story on the ice.
Sandy´s whole expression is made for figure skating, you absolutely buy it and even if some of her elements like the triple Rittberger - double Toe didnt work today, it still was an absolutely entertaining ride.

9. Jennifer Urban 128.27

I enjoyed the fire in her eyes throughout the performance, she always looked into the crowd! Also to note were her seamless transitions, not only between the elements but also the music. It felt like once piece with lots of variation and that she has a talent for music and dance is well known.
Jenny started with a triple Rittberger today, but had trouble with the triple Sal and her Toe was also just a double or single. In the middle of her programm she performed some really good spins, level three and four like the change foot combination spin.

Personally, I would love to see her dance moves off ice someday.

10. Nathalie Winzierl 175.31

The winner today does come from Mannheim and she didnt even need a triple - triple combination for it. Nathalie did start with a good triple Lutz, that she later combined with a double Toe. She struggled a bit with her Rittberger today, but finished off her program with a nice triple Sal - double Toe.

Nathalie who has also won the FS today, was wearing a nice blue dress and again those huge ear rings, latter didnt seem to stop her from doing some nice level three and four spins.

11. Jenny Parker 132.55

Our Canadian sadly didnt had her best day. Loads of her jump elements were a bit off, but honestly she is just 17 years old - you ned to understand that she was a bit nervous today, as we had an almost sold out house here.

Because of that you really need to give her credit for performing a triple Sal - double Toe combination and that she can do lovely spins with her amazing flexibility isnt something new either. Brian Orser has a talent there, he just needs to form it and that he is able to, we all know from Yuna Kim and Javier Fernandez.

I say that this young lady could be a future national champion - she has a lovely style and I really enjoy her skates a lot.

Final standings:

1 Nathalie WEINZIERL MERC B-W 175.31
2 Sarah HECKEN MERC B-W 148.06
3 Nicole SCHOTT EJE NRW 145.48
4 Sandy HOFFMANN DESV SAS 142.39
5 Jennifer PARKER ECO BAY 132.55
6 Jennifer URBAN ECO BAY 128.27
7 Anne ZETZSCHE DREC SAS 127.95
8 Anneli KAWELKE ERCM BAY 124.37
9 Minami DOBASHI DEG NRW 104.34
10 Luisa WEBER MERC B-W 96.73
11 Jessica FÜSSINGER ECO BAY 88.03

The other reviews tomorrow ;)

Alex D

Record Breaker
Berlin Review

With great joy did I go to Berlin this year, not only because it was my first German Nationals as a member of the press - but also because many of those great German athletes like Anne Zetzsche, Sandy Hoffman, Franz Streubel and especially Sarah Hecken were competing. Latter I haven't seen at all in 2013 - which is a shame, as I really like what she does on the ice.

In general, we did have most of our top people at Berlin this year, which is a great honor and also a great chance that gave me a nice overview about what we have in store, for Budapest and Sochi, but also maybe P'yŏngyang. Because of this I was very pleased to see our best three pairs including Aljona&Robin, but also Peter and of course our two Ice Dance pairs who just rock, each in their own special way. While not each competition was a nail biter, most of the seats were filled and definitely gave a positive response to the sports - especially after the Bavarian folk denied us a new Olympic Nomination a few weeks ago.

Quad´s in shorts

Peter said that you need a Quad at Sochi and in general if you want to get anywhere as a male skater. Similar things I heard of Plushenko before and while I am not a big fan of all that "jump theorycrafting" - it´s still such a major achievement for a figure skater if he or she (triple) can land those difficult elements - and landed were two of those here at Berlin.

Number one by Peter Liebers who also won his fifth national title with a great performance to "Who wants to live forever&Smells Like Teen Spirit", while his Quad Toe worked on Saturday at the SP it didn´t at the FS, but he still put a lovely and emotional performance on the ice nonetheless. We saw a few level four spins and a triple Axel - triple Toe combination and a great choreo and expression with a lot of heart in it.

A totally different approach was the Western performance of Franz Streubel who finally showed what he does in practice - a Quad Toe. Streubel is a very funny and entertaining guy, so was his program which suffered a little bit under the fact that he couldn´t practice much after Dortmund, so that he just run out of steam in the end.

Both men will also go to Budapest, with Peter additionally going to Sochi.

2 hot Lady´s, 1 Italien and a Nerd

Ice Dance is for many people a niche sport unfortunately. One of the reasons for that in my opinion is the difficulty of understanding it. Let´s face it, if you don´t understand something - then you also lose your interest in it. We all know this from school don´t we?

Because of this I absolutely love the approach of Alex and Nelli in their programs. They go away from the traditional ice dance, which is a bit stiff and just nail every performance they do on the ice. At Berlin they showed us some really good lift´s, the Twizzle´s maybe not as clean as they could do it - but still! Their emotions and that amazing story, just works for me and I wish that especially in the SD more couples would go away from that stiff type of performing which in my opinion is out dated.

Rewarded were Nelli & Alex with their fifth national title and a ticket to Sochi and Budapest.

Since travelling alone is boring, Tanja Kolbe & Stefano Caruso will just tag along, as they also fulfilled the requirements by the DOSB. Our German / Italien couple who does practice at Berlin, but also Milan, showed us some level four lifts and spins, but also a lovely Twizzle - I really liked the warmth they had on the ice, something you could see very well for instance at those choreographed sequences where they hold each others hand.

For me, as different those couples are - I can´t pick a favorite. Tanja is very charming, Nelli is just cute, Stefano is lovely if you talk to him and Alex ... he is just shocking good!

10 years anniversary

It has been exactly ten years since Aljona & Robin won their first national title at Berlin and while they lost a few points at some elements, like the combination triple Toe where he had a little wobble or the Axel that she only did single it was a victory that never was in any danger. What I really enjoy about their program this season is that it is fitting for their most likely last season. You just see something in their eyes, in their movements that is fully choreographed for that one big title which is still missing in their amazing career. Right now I believe that the higher difficulty of Aljona & Robin, if performed clean is their entry ticket to gold. Nonetheless, they must stay clean and it will be a real nail biter at Sochi for sure.

Also going to Sochi are Maylin & Daniel, who had such a fight to deliver this weekend. Both were sick and had to really be careful this weekend, due the effect´s that such a flu can have on the human body, like exhaustion . Still they didn´t show it, they kept going strong and you really need to give them credit for actually performing elements like the group 5 Axel Lasso Lift which received a level four, just like the step Lasso Lift at the end. What a major element if you consider that Daniel was absolutely destroyed at the end, kneeling down on the ice. Big respect for that from me!

When I go to Budapest I so hope that those two can get a clean skate, they are my favorite German couple - they pretty much combine everything I said about our Ice Dancers before.

Last but not least our third pair for Budapest, which also came third here at the Nationals with a triple throw Sal and Loop and two level 4 lift´s. Vaartman / Van Cleave who in my opinion, made a big step forward this year with their programs. I enjoy watching them and maybe we can have three German pairs inside the top 10 at Hungary.

Mannheim connection

Nathalie Weinzierl is the new National Champion and highest bet for a ticket to Sochi. While she didn´t do any triple - triple combinations, she has a thing for hot & sexy performances like in the SP to "Fever".

At the FS however she performed to "Rhapsody" and delivered a very good triple Lutz, Sal and Toe, but also a nice level 4 combination. Her teammate Sarah, while not having a chance for Sochi is at least able to join her at the Budapest squad.

Hecken who didn´t had the best start into the season, was fighting very hard in her FS. She was trailing behind after the SP and only on position four! While her performance on Sunday wasn´t free of mistakes, she still didn´t give in and delivered a nice triple Sal - double Toe combination and two good double Axel´s.
Sarah has always kept me busy to be honest, because I so want her to win that big title, a medal at Euro´s would just be so great for her. Back in the days a few years ago when she did the triple - triple, I was sure she would get there - but it has become quiet around Sarah lately.
She said that she somehow lost the fun on the ice and when she said on Sunday that she has fun again, then this was more important for me than any triple - triple combination. She can be a real ice girl, cold and closed - but she can also be someone who smiles a lot and I am really happy that she found latter again.

You now probably wonder why I put that "bet for a ticket" right at the start. Well the answer is quite simple. None of our Ladies has managed to score enough points to meet the criteria by the DOSB. Nathalie was very close but not close enough.

Therefore our DOSB must make a decision this week. They can either let Nathalie skate for us at the Ladies competition, after all she got the spot for us, was close and could compete at the team event as well, or they will not let anyone skate at the Ladies. While I have some serious doubts about last, we just need to wait and see I guess.

16 chicks or less on ice

Something I really enjoyed this year at Berlin was the SYS competition, I enjoyed it so much that I even skipped the press conference for it. While this might not be very professional approach, it was a decision made by heart and I absolutely don´t regret it.
What those young Ladies and 1 Boy do on the ice, is fantastic and next time I go to such an event, I will know a bit more about the sport and the actual competitors. Right now all I can say is that I absolutely loved the team from Saxony (Ice Pearls) which competed in the Basic Novice A SYS. I hope to get an invitation for your next show ;)

But not only those stuck in my head, there were also teams from Berlin and Bavaria and as far as I know there are real world championships in that type of discipline. I honestly don´t understand, why its not more popular actually and why the ISU doesn´t add those to the Euro´s or worlds. We have 2 free days every year, we even have a noon pair skate this year - I mean why not give those young ladies a bigger audience? They absolutely deserve it in my opinion, no matter if Skating Graces, Starlets or Ice Pearls (just love those names).

I also need to give credit to the wonderful costumes of Team Berlin, god those outfits rocked, so did their show!

Keep it up Ladies & our one guy, impressive stuff!

Pink Panther, Glühwein & Bratwurst

Germans like to eat, they like to eat a lot! Therefore it was understandable that the whole ice hall was filled with the smell of this delicious food.
While you might not think it if you see me, I also like to eat a lot! I am not much a drinker though, so I wasn´t that upset that our Bar had no alcohol and honestly, it wasn´t necessary anyways.

We saw some amazing performances, great talents and also a girl that I cant get out of my head anymore since Dortmund. Her name? Annika? Her profession? Naughty girl! Her status? Rocking hot!
When she appeared at the Exhibition Skate, I was very surprised but also happy! This girl just did it to me and I assure you guys, also NA will be infected with the Annika Hocke virus sooner or later!

Infected also were the "Berliners" during the German nationals. It was great to see that we had almost a full house on Saturday and a very packed ice hall on Sunday. For an athlete competing in front of people is very important and after all their profession. Skaters don´t skate for their coaches, or for themselves - no they do it for us in the crowd and because of this we need to keep going to those competitions, be it small or large - every skater deserves to perform in front of a crowd.
Its bad enough that the judges don´t crack any smile, oh GOD! Some of them are really cold - but its understandable and therefore especially important that skaters can actually look into smiling faces once in a while.

Last words

2013 is now going to an end and I have to say that while I probably spent about 25 days inside an ice hall in the last 3 months - it still was a blast! I saw many talented young skaters like Annika Hocke with her naughty style, but also Sandy Hoffmann who performs amazingly well with so much grace and elegance, Anne Zetzsche the girl with the curtain dress and such a lovely attitude and expression when she does the Axel, Nicole Schott who made that lovely FS and came third at the nationals, or Jenny Parker our Canadian girl who sadly didn´t had her best FS.

Figure Skating is great fun and as sooner the TV stations around the world realize that, the better!

My next stop will be Budapest, not sure yet if as a press member or not. Time will tell, but you can be sure that I will keep posting and give you news and feedback especially about our German Figure Skating world, but not only of course!
I will try to maybe get to Oberstdorf in Jan - Feb, but this depends a lot on my job and financial situation, after all I have to pay everything myself - not easy for sure, but its worth it!

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
Alex D,
This has to be the best review of an event I have ever read! Before, I knew very little about German skaters. Now, I want to know more! I will be watching these skaters, they sound talented.
Thank you for posting the information! You are knowledgeable and have a good sense of humour, too. :clap:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
There's something wrong with this thread (for me). Whenever I click on the 2nd or 3rd pages it always takes me back to the 1st page. It's been happening for a couple of days now.