Yu-na, look out for Russian skaters! | Golden Skate

Yu-na, look out for Russian skaters!

Taan

On the Ice
http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2013/12/136_147244.html
During the upcoming Grand Prix Finals, all eyes will be on the diminutive Russian who overcame a growth spurt last year to establish herself as a future star in her sport. Her skating is generating more talk and excitement than Asada, whose desperate obsession with the triple axel has sometimes been a source of ridicule rather than admiration in the Korean press.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I am a Julia fan but im not that delusional, Mao is the heavy favorite in the GPF and she will be competing on home ice.
this article just screams Mao bashing and wanted to divert an article that she is the not favorite which is not true
the source *Korean Times :unsure:

CarneAsada

Medalist
"Careful Yu-na, there are these Russian skaters who will eclipse you and become the next big thing!!!"

For the third year in a row. Korean media who cried wolf?

MiRé

Match Penalty
I don't see what's so "inaccurate" about this article.
Mao can't land 3A, but she still attempts it. Obsessed? Definitely.

So what's wrong with this article :unsure:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Julia can defeat Yu Na unless Yu Na makes several mistakes and Julia skates perfectly. Her jumps are not as good as Yu Na's, though she does do seven triples (including the loop) to Yu Na's six. The odds greatly favor Yu Na, but nothing is ever a sure thing at the Olympics.

Franklin99

Medalist
I don't see what's so "inaccurate" about this article.
Mao can't land 3A, but she still attempts it. Obsessed? Definitely.

So what's wrong with this article :unsure:
''

Yes, Mao can still land a clean 3A, there are many recent videos on youtube that proves Mao is still landing clean 3A, as well as comments from other skaters saying she's landing clean 3A in practices, right before the competition. While she lands them in practice with no problem, she tends to mess up in competitions. I don't think she should quit that jump, I think she needs to overcome whatever it is that's causing her to mess it up in competition.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I don't think Yuna has anything to worry bout. Julia is good but not refined. I think she needs to slow down and hold her moves a bit longer. The jumps are obviously there but not the grace, she still needs to mature some. Yuna is light years ahead of any other female skater at the moment.

chloepoco

Medalist
http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2013/12/136_147244.htmlDuring the upcoming Grand Prix Finals, all eyes will be on the diminutive Russian who overcame a growth spurt last year to establish herself as a future star in her sport. Her skating is generating more talk and excitement than Asada, whose desperate obsession with the triple axel has sometimes been a source of ridicule rather than admiration in the Korean press.

Wow, what a thing to say!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
"Careful Yu-na, there are these Russian skaters who will eclipse you and become the next big thing!!!"

For the third year in a row. Korean media who cried wolf?

This "article" is such a joke. Judging by the number of backhanded compliments to her competitors, it's obviously another ploy by Korean-based media to get even more people aboard the "Yuna Kim is so great/Korea never lose" train. They're intentionally hyping the Russian babies up so that when Yuna beats them, people (who don't watch skating on a regular or even a semi-regular basis) will be like, "Oh, such talented skaters weren't even a challenge for the Great Yuna Kim" or some crap like that.

Personally, while I love Yuna, I don't see why one has to put down other skaters just to make her look good. She's good enough that she doesn't even need these kind of free BS/PR articles.

Eh. Nationalism, I guess.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For one thing, Julia hasn't had much of a growth spurt yet. At 15, she's still built like a 10-year-old, with no chest and no hips. She doesn't get much ice coverage with her tiny jumps and relies on bizarre acrobatics to sell her spins, which travel quite a bit.

jatale

On the Ice
For one thing, Julia hasn't had much of a growth spurt yet. At 15, she's still built like a 10-year-old, with no chest and no hips. She doesn't get much ice coverage with her tiny jumps and relies on bizarre acrobatics to sell her spins, which travel quite a bit.

I agree with this. While Julia is a very gifted skater, she still looks like a girl at the tween end of teen and doesn't yet have the athleticism of her elder competitors.

Barb

Record Breaker
It is so obvious that this article was written just for Mao looks bad, no to praise Julia, I bet if Julia beats to Yuna they would be attacking her.
And really korean press found ridiculous Mao trying 3A? what a losers :sarcasm:, they are impressed for the 3lutz-3t of Julia but for them Mao`s 3a is ridiculous :rolleye:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I agree with this. While Julia is a very gifted skater, she still looks like a girl at the tween end of teen and doesn't yet have the athleticism of her elder competitors.

I disagree Julia doesn't have athleticism. Fully rotated triples means there's athleticism! She's not muscular. Mao isn't muscular looking. She's an extraordinary athlete with extraordinary athleticism! So is Julia.

Basically i agree this article is atrocious and is all about inviting horrible attacks and sometimes vicious personal attacks on Russian skaters that has been seen here! So whatever!

During the Cup of Russia last week, Eurosport commentators were in complete awe of the15-year-old, predicting that she could “win the Olympics and be the youngest-ever winner.”

I hope the Eurosport guys didn't really say this. Julia's birthday is June 5 and Tara's is June 10.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
did you guys, including TC, actually read the article??

The writer gives praises in good faith and gushes over Julia and young Russian skaters.

New generation of prodigies emerges with sensational jumps, polished artistry

thanks to a group of teenage skaters equipped with the utmost technical ability and polished artistry.

At her best, Lipnitskaia is what great ladies’ figure skating is all about. The 2012 Russian junior champion is an arresting beauty who moves like an ice dancer rather than a singles competitor. In her first year as a senior skater, she already seems to have it all — speed, elegance, musicality, uncanny flexibility, and most importantly, the jumps. The intricacy of her footwork, the consistency of her triples and a mature expressiveness are way beyond her years.

And regarding the Mao reference, it is clearly talking about how she is treated by some "Korean Media."

This is just an article that sets up Yuna for new upcoming challenge (and no doubt about it, it will be a challenge) - there is no malice intended for anyone.

I am so sick of these Maobots making issue out of nothing. Mao who? Yuna-Mao rivalry ended 4 years ago.

minze

Medalist
did you guys, including TC, actually read the article??

The writer gives praises in good faith and gushes over Julia and young Russian skaters.

And regarding the Mao reference, it is clearly talking about how she is treated by some "Korean Media."

This is just an article that sets up Yuna for new upcoming challenge (and no doubt about it, it will be a challenge) - there is no malice intended for anyone.

I am so sick of these Maobots making issue out of nothing. Mao who? Yuna-Mao rivalry ended 4 years ago.

No one here mentioned Mao and Yuna's rivalry you were the first one. what does that have to do with the article? So who is the one making a big deal about nothing?
Mao Who? Google Her

Fifth woman in history to land the triple axel jump in international competition.
Second woman to break the 200-point barrier in international competition.
Third Japanese female figure skater to win an Olympic medal.
Fourth Japanese figure skater to win an Olympic medal.
First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at the Winter Olympics.
First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU competition.
First woman to land the triple axel at the World Junior Championships.
First woman to land the triple axel in junior international competition.
First woman to land two triple axel jumps in the same program.
First woman to land three triple axel jumps in one competition.
First figure skater in a singles discipline from Asia to win multiple world championships.
First figure skater in a singles discipline, male or female, to win all 7 of the current events on the Grand Prix circuit

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Sorry, I actually respect Mao a lot. No doubt she is one of the greatest. What upsets me is that the article is about Russian skaters, but the topic creator quoted one sentence that mentions Mao to stir controversy.