Boys SP - 2013-14 JGP Final | Golden Skate

Boys SP - 2013-14 JGP Final

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Warm up group on the ice. Tanaka looks like he's in a different height/weight class from the rest of them!

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
WHO chose Pitkeev's music? His competitors?
Or did someone lose a bet?
The first 2 minutes were like scratching a chalkboard with a nail.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I actually like his program. I think both of these Russian young men show a lot of promise....Petrov is weaker on the spins though.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I really like Boyang Jin, though he looked on the verge of rushing and out-of-control today! Like the program and he's really worked on his artistry/presentation.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
wow, Tanaka is 19 years old. No wonder he looks like a giant among boys.
Now here is music that is truly fingernails-on-chalkboard quality. But he's skating like the Devil's after him and is doing a good job here. Surely he's the world's longest perpetual junior though, and he's got to move up to senior next year and try to find a place amongst the Muras, Machidas, Hanyus and whomever else isn't retiring on the Japan men's contingent.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow Nathan went for the 3A! Too bad about the fall. I think he'll lead though, he deserves higher PCS than the rest of the field.

Aw, I was wrong. He did get the highest PCS, but the TES cost him. Still, it's a ticket race for the podium. 1-5 on separated by a mere 5 points.

Becki

Medalist
wow, Tanaka is 19 years old. No wonder he looks like a giant among boys.
Now here is music that is truly fingernails-on-chalkboard quality. But he's skating like the Devil's after him and is doing a good job here. Surely he's the world's longest perpetual junior though, and he's got to move up to senior next year and try to find a place amongst the Muras, Machidas, Hanyus and whomever else isn't retiring on the Japan men's contingent.

I think the award for the "world's longest perpetual junior" goes to Evan Lysacek. He went into Seniors because he aged out in Jrs. I kid you not, he was in Jrs for 5 seasons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Lysacek).

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Ohhhh, Nathan Chen was doing so well until he fell on the 3T of the combo. That will cost big, but spins were best of the men so far, and the rest of the skating was wonderful....almost like a baby Patrick Chan. Nathan just moves so nicely on the ice.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ohhhh, Nathan Chen was doing so well until he fell on the 3T of the combo. That will cost big, but spins were best of the men so far, and the rest of the skating was wonderful....almost like a baby Patrick Chan. Nathan just moves so nicely on the ice.

As long as Nathan survives puberty and all that jazz, U.S. men in the next quad is going to be BRUTAL. It will be interesting to see him compete face-to-face with Jason, Joshua and Max next season. (He's still at the junior level nationally as well).

He will be old enough for GP next season!

Well, Tanaka's ISU bio has him skating juniors in Japan for 7 straight years, beginning in the 2007-2008 season. :eek:

Well, you can't really move up when you have five different men competing to senior international spots all those years and three of those men basically typing up all the spots anyway (Takahashi, Kozuka, Oda). You're better off getting the ranking points and ISU personal best score by staying junior.

He ages out after this season so he will have to move up. The good news is that Oda and Takahashi (and Kozuka?) are retiring this season, so there is some room for him to move up the senior ranks nationally and internationally.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
IN Stream is killing me. Stupidly choppy. Maybe it's just my Internet... anyone else having problems?

Becki

Medalist
Well, Tanaka's ISU bio has him skating juniors in Japan for 7 straight years, beginning in the 2007-2008 season. :eek:

Well, that's only nationally. In the 2007-2008 season, he was only 13-14. The earliest he could've moved up to senior was in 2010-2011 season since he was born in November, when he was 15-16. But most male skaters don't move up to seniors at such a young age.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, that's only nationally. In the 2007-2008 season, he was only 13-14. The earliest he could've moved up to senior was in 2010-2011 season since he was born in November, when he was 15-16. But most male skaters don't move up to seniors at such a young age.

Well there was on exception to that rule, Becki. ;)