Men SP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men SP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

figureskater272

Spectator
Great to see Oda do so well, in 3rd, seeing as he was the alternate for this event. The reason why Chan's PCS was a little lower than Hanyu's was probably because the mistakes (especially the miss on the 3axel) took away from the flow of the program. So even though generally Chan's PCS is the best in the business, tonight Hanyu was able to pull ahead. Go Hanyu! SO much potential for him, he's so young!

Can't wait for the ladies!
My wish for after the ladies SP is:
1. Ashley
2. Julia
3.Mao
4. Elena
5.Adelina
6.Anna

However I think the results will be more like this:
1. Mao
2. Julia
3. Ashley
4. Elena
5.Adelina
6. Anna

The top 3 are very interchangeable depending on how slippery the ice is.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Woah, Hanyu actually got a level 3 and low GOE for the last spin, if he wouldn't have messed up the jump inbetween, he would have broken the 100 :eek:

Lol, what would a clean Mao Asada get here in Japan? 80+? ^^"

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Hey there!
I just went through the scores and saw that Machida got the 3Lutz2Toe combo marked as 0 pts, invalid element. I have no idea why. Can anyone clear this up for me?
Cheers
Frenchie

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Wow. Have to watch the recordings when I get home, but looking at the scores...

Oda - in the running for a podium finish.
Yan - crashed and burned.
Kovtun - crashed and burned.
Hanyu - new world record! OMG giant score, almost 100
Machida - crashed and burned. And buried. OMG what happened?! o_O
Chan - wow, that's a disappointing score by his standards.

Let the rejoicing commence (Hanyu fans)!
And the whining/hating/conspiracies (Hanyu haters)!

Hanyu will really need to keep it together mentally tomorrow... otherwise, I don't think even a 12 point buffer going into the FS will be enough enough to hold off Chan...

I can't see Machida's making the podium now - what does that do to his chances of making the Japanese Olypmic team?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
spikydurian said:
skyfly, I will ensure your nastiness will come back to haunt you.

I really don't like being a huge fan of the skater sky_fly20 pushes so much, especially because he/she's disrespectful towards other skaters. I hope the nastiness will haunt the poster, not the skater...

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Hey there!
I just went through the scores and saw that Machida got the 3Lutz2Toe combo marked as 0 pts, invalid element. I have no idea why. Can anyone clear this up for me?
Cheers
Frenchie

The rules say "Solo jumps must be different from the jumps included in the combination". Machida jumped the 2T in both.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Interesting, judges gave Patrick higher SS and TR (barely) but Hanyu really beat him in PE and also beat him in CH and IN.

Wow, that's definitely interesting. I agree with the higher PE, though I'd have the SS gap a bit wider. While CH and IN are arguable, Yuzuru's SP program does have excellent choreography and he interprets it extremely well. :clap: for Yuzu!

Patrick appeared a bit high strung, might it be the pressure? Am surprised and disappointed at the slip up, that was inappropriate and unbecoming of an athlete. You could tell Kathy was disappointed as well - hope he can regroup, learn from this and come out strong in the free. His free is a stronger program than his short, so fingers crossed!

flaneur

On the Ice
In regards to the skycam, I am actually a little surprised Patrick is the first one to mention it (that I know of)... granted I think it only begun this year in Cup of Japan and now here. The first time I saw footage of it at Cup of Japan whizzing about, I thought: now that's potentially distracting.

(Not making excuses. Just an observation) :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow. Have to watch the recordings when I get home, but looking at the scores...

Oda - in the running for a podium finish.
Yan - crashed and burned.
Kovtun - crashed and burned.
Hanyu - new world record! OMG giant score, almost 100
Machida - crashed and burned. And buried. OMG what happened?! o_O
Chan - wow, that's a disappointing score by his standards.

Let the rejoicing commence (Hanyu fans)!
And the whining/hating/conspiracies (Hanyu haters)!

Hanyu will really need to keep it together mentally tomorrow... otherwise, I don't think even a 12 point buffer going into the FS will be enough enough to hold off Chan...

I can't see Machida's making the podium now - what does that do to his chances of making the Japanese Olypmic team?

Actually Yan did OK. Not his best, but not a meltdown.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
pitterpatter said:
Patrick appeared a bit high strung, might it be the pressure? Am surprised and disappointed at the slip up, that was inappropriate and unbecoming of an athlete

No one can always be perfect. He was completly clean in TEB, and this wasn't that bad a skate actually, just bad in comparison to what he did in Paris. Olys are still 2 months away.
And I don't think the F-bomb was that bad either. It happens, I still think it's human :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
Machida doubled his quad toe, them he did another double toe in his combination. That is a huge nono in the short program. All jumps have to be different. If he did 3Lz 3T it wouldve been a valid element. Just bad luck.

Frenchie

Medalist
The rules say "Solo jumps must be different from the jumps included in the combination". Machida jumped the 2T in both.

oh, wow, I had no idea.
Thanks!
on a personal note: this just adds to the reasons for me to think young skaters should focus on mastering the quad salchow rather than the quad toeloop, since having problems with the toeloop is so likely to cause trouble for other elements to come later on in the programme...
I previously thought this to be particularly true in the long, but this new info makes the toeloop seem even more treacherous to me in the short as well!

figureskater272

Spectator
Elena Radionova comming up big in the SP! = 64.38

Her skating has so much life in it, she reminds me of Tara Lipinski in 98. Little girl with big dreams, and not nervous seemingly!

emdee

Final Flight
I really don't like being a huge fan of the skater sky_fly20 pushes so much, especially because he/she's disrespectful towards other skaters. I hope the nastiness will haunt the poster, not the skater...

So agree with you....
Hanyu is my second best man.....
Thanks for your support and courtesy.

flaneur

On the Ice
No one can always be perfect. He was completly clean in TEB, and this wasn't that bad a skate actually, just bad in comparison to what he did in Paris. Olys are still 2 months away.
And I don't think the F-bomb was that bad either. It happens, I still think it's human :)

Haha. I didn't think it was that terrible either (it happens to everyone). Plus I was kind of impressed he caught himself and stopped talking immediately after in the K&C.

flaneur

On the Ice
Also Oda being in position to podium here bodes well for this Olympic berth chances.

Frenchie

Medalist
oh, wow, I had no idea.
to my defense: I knew this was the case for triples, but I thought it didn't apply to doubles.
oh, well. I guess that's just a worst case scenario with the toe ending up as a double and the 3-3 combo ending up a 3-2.
still: go, salchow! ;)