Ladies SP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

katymay

Medalist
Once in a while there is a program that is just so amazing and special...and Mao's program was like that for me. I don't even care if the triple axel was rotated or not. The entire program was spellbinding. I am so happy that she got to have that moment!

katymay

Medalist
Adelina has better edges, speed, and ice coverage - so absolutely a clean Adelina should beat a clean Julia. Plus her jumps are much biggerwith good low and she is no slouch with the spins either.

Adelina was spectacular today. Wow! And she is such a pretty girl as well..

David21

On the Ice
So Mao's flip and double loop were cheated and yet you say they were not even UR'ed. Make up your mind :)

Where did I say they were not ur'ed? They may not have been cheated enough to get a < call but they were clearly not fully rotated :)

She is the only one capable to land a very "pretty" looking triple axel and in the SP she landed one which was less than 1/4 UR. I also watched it in the slow motion. I agree that this season she got some favorable calls on her 3A (which were close and could have gone either way) but today she was underscored. She shoould have got full credit on the 3A. But I expected this with Amano making the call, is not the first time he is unfair with Mao. But I don't expect you to admit it, you are clearly biased against Mao.
I hope in the LP Adelina, Mao and Ashley remain on the podium. Good luck to all the ladies and may the best one win

Have you also checked her triple flip and double loop? Do you seriously think that she should have gotten so many +GOEs for those jumps even though they were not fully rotated?

Sorry, but this is ridiculous. An underrotated 3A is still a lot more difficult than a well done 2A.
What are you going to do with a downgraded jump? Give it -5 points just because? :rolleye:

A triple axel is much more difficult than a double axel but how about we start rewarding skaters for doing well and punish them for having wrong skating technique by finishing the rotation on the ice. It's a very new and foreign concept for you (and the judges), I know that.

That is absurd. You clearly don't skate or know anything about the technique of skating.

An underrotated 3A is not a perfect 3A, but it sure as hell is a different jump than a 2A. They should be scored differently.

Yeah, they should be scored differently. If you underrotate a jump, you should (most of thetime) get minus GOEs which is, according to the rules, which you and the judges chose to ignore, the case.

A <3A, with only 70% base mark and -2 GOE gets you 4 points.
A clean double axel with +2 GOE gets you 4.3 points.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Yeah, they should be scored differently. If you underrotate a jump, you should (most of thetime) get minus GOEs which is, according to the rules, which you and the judges chose to ignore, the case.
A <3A, with only 70% base mark and -2 GOE gets you 4 points.
A clean double axel with +2 GOE gets you 4.3 points.
Except Mao's 3A would never deserve -2. For a jump that is <, the range is -1 to -2, and -2 is only deserved with jumps that are close to <<. Which Mao's 3A was not.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Mao's axel looked textbook. It's gotten so much bigger and easier looking this year, where in the past you got the sense she was just squeaking it out. The quality we've seen from the top ladies here is just a new level that what we've seen last year. Amazing what an Olympic season will do.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Once in a while there is a program that is just so amazing and special...and Mao's program was like that for me. I don't even care if the triple axel was rotated or not. The entire program was spellbinding. I am so happy that she got to have that moment!

I feel the same way. Mao was mesmerizing!

chloepoco

Medalist
A triple axel is much more difficult than a double axel but how about we start rewarding skaters for doing well and punish them for having wrong skating technique by finishing the rotation on the ice. It's a very new and foreign concept for you (and the judges), I know that.

So are you saying you know more than the judges?

David21

On the Ice
Except Mao's 3A would never deserve -2. For a jump that is <, the range is -1 to -2, and -2 is only deserved with jumps that are close to <<. Which Mao's 3A was not.

Well, in this case a -1 would have been enough since the call was probably close. But that doesn't change the fact that Mao wasn't punished for underrotating her other jumps.

So are you saying you know more than the judges?

No, but do you seriously deny that judges in the past (and still in the present) missed or simply didn't care about underrotation, e.g. when Sarah Hughes was still skating? Of course they often simply didn't follow the rules which are quite clear about underrotation even back in the old 6.0 days.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Mao's axel looked textbook.

Definitely not, it was relatively small and you could see some rotation completing on the ice while she landed.

I don't think the < call was deserved, though.

If it WAS going to get called, then it definitely should NOT receive -GOE.

Double fail on the part of the judges. Par for the course.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Of course sotnikova would dump the Flutz dg loop combo! Asada with greater pcs could afford 3a< and 3/2. But the 3a Had no disruptive error. Very surprised about Julia with 2 level 3s. She's so advanced in all areas of skating.

David21

On the Ice
Definitely not, it was relatively small and you could see some rotation completing on the ice while she landed.

Mao's axel technique (and her jumping technique in general) isn't that great. You really don't need to be an expert to see that.

If it WAS going to get called, then it definitely should NOT receive -GOE.

Double fail on the part of the judges. Par for the course.

So are you saying that the judges should have ignored the rules if they didn't like the decision of the caller? ;)
And Mao didn't even get that many -GOEs...

sapphiresky

Rinkside
Mao's axel technique (and her jumping technique in general) isn't that great. You really don't need to be an expert to see that.

Uh...her axel technique is pretty good, I don't see any of the other ladies doing better...and even questionable for some men.

So are you saying that the judges should have ignored the rules if they didn't like the decision of the caller? ;)
And Mao didn't even get that many -GOEs...

Yes, judges can give suitable GOE if based on their personal thoughts about a jump- just like they can give - GOE if they felt a jump should be deemed as UR.
They did exactly the same thing for Julia's 3Lz-3T "e", except Julia got more +1's.

These comments are really biased and actually getting annoying. Can anyone tell me how to find the ignore button- is there one?

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Her 3Axel technique really isn't good, I'm sorry to say. She slows down on the takeoff and tends to spin into the rotation a bit, rather than lunging forward and kicking through with the free leg. Yeah, it's great that she is the only woman who is doing Triple Axel (barely) in competition, but that in itself doesn't mean the technique is good.

Very surprised about Julia with 2 level 3s. She's so advanced in all areas of skating.

Interestingly, though, Julia still would have been in 4th place even with Level 4 calls on those elements. It was the PCS that really hurt her. I agree with it for this performance, because she didn't skate with the same command as in Cup of Russia and this program could use some choreographic enhancements. The heart-drawing on the ice at the end is unnecessary. It works great the beginning, because of the contrast with the sudden upward head movement, but she needs to end with actual skating. Throughout the program there are also several movements that don't really fit this music and are rather generic "pretty-pretty" types of moves.

sapphiresky

Rinkside
^ ^ What's "good" anyway...is there even a standard? Even in other sports, each athlete has their own way and own quirks of doing things, it really matters whether it works for them. Different shooting techniques in basketball, different back hands in tennis, different golf swings.

Would you call Patrick Chan's 3A technique good? Plushenko's air positions during the last OG left a lot to be desired, but it was crazy to see him adjust himself to land those things, so I would call his technique good.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
What's "good" anyway...is there even a standard?

All of the Men in the SP at this competition have better 3Axel technique than Asada. So there's that.

Asada used to step-up and kick-through more on her 3Axel, as you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpZGFBDYc2w

Her technique went downhill after 2011. She stopped being able to get the same height in the jump as she used to, so to compensate for that and be able to get the rotation, she now has a more spinny approach.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
^ ^ What's "good" anyway...is there even a standard?

Wow.

I dunno, if I started playing golf, I'm pretty sure my arms would be flailing all over the place and that would "work" for me. Somehow, I doubt that my "difference" in technique would be a good one.

guanchi

On the Ice
After looking at Mao's vid and where her blade touched the ice (given all this talk bout this), it appeared clearly ur'ed- BUT, you have to REALLY find that exact frame where she touches down cuz she is a fast spinner on that 3a. It doesn't have that hanging, delayed, almost slo-mo quality of the men's (nor should it ever) which are hardly ever called into question.
Sot looked like she was facing forward on the front end of the 3t, but jumps with such immense scale that she actually had to reach down to find the ice to complete the back end of the combo.

penguin

On the Ice
I love Ashley's ponytail. Sometimes plain ponytails can make the skater look girlish (in an undesirable way, giving off a less mature vibe), but hers is sophisticated. So many ladies wear the standard bun (which is fine and utilitarian, but sort of uniform) that I love when somebody does something different. I like Ashley's long program hairstyle too with the softer updo.