Senior Short Dance - GPF 2012-2014 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Senior Short Dance - GPF 2012-2014

GF2445

Record Breaker
i notice the crowd gave a much bigger standing ovation to Davis/White... Rinkside they must be most impressive.

Yes. I noticed that too. Ususally in Japan, the crowds seem to have greater support of the Americans. I love how the Japanese call The United States, the USA.

Also, Meryl and Charlie have skated at NHK for the this year and last year so they might just have a larger fan base there in comparison to the Americans.

I don't know...Does anyone else have a good reason?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
All right time to watch the men. I'll let the rest of you argue over spilt hairs. :laugh:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Well I'm with Nicky and Chris I thought Tessa and Scott should have been slightly ahead instead of the other way around, and W/P clearly ahead of B/S...Nowhere near as bad as in Russia..but it makes me uncomfortable..

Matt K

On the Ice
Not that 8s for VM aren't ridiculous, but can you compare the judges row to row on the protocols? I thought they randomize them for each skater's scores. Maybe I've been wrong about that all this time, though.

Yes, you can. Each judge's marks and GOEs are presented in its one column, it is not mix and matched throughout.
The judge who gave them unreasonably low GOEs and 8.50 and 8.75s obviously doesn't like V/M. I think we can assume who that is ;).

As for the D/W ubers who love Brit. Eurosport so much, they thought V/M should be 1st ahead of D/W.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Not that 8s for VM aren't ridiculous, but can you compare the judges row to row on the protocols? I thought they randomize them for each skater's scores. Maybe I've been wrong about that all this time, tho.

I'm crushed that Anna and Luca scored so low and am curious about that deduction as well, elle_e!

It is really interesting you brought up the point about the randomising of the results in the protocols.
I'm not sure if for every element or PCS, each number from left to right is in a different order OR if each column is one judge's input but then mix each column up.

Does anyone know.

I'm really sad for the Italians. They were undermarked for sure!

M

mylastduchess

Yes. I noticed that too. Ususally in Japan, the crowds seem to have greater support of the Americans. I love how the Japanese call The United States, the USA.

Also, Meryl and Charlie have skated at NHK for the this year and last year so they might just have a larger fan base there in comparison to the Americans.

Maybe they love Charlie's golden locks

caitie

Medalist
Yes, you can. Each judge's marks and GOEs are presented in its one row, it is not mix and matched throughout.
The judge who gave them unreasonably low GOEs and 8.50 and 8.75s obviously doesn't like V/M. I think we can assume who that is ;).

You know what they say about when you assume...

But hmm I didn't know Judge #2 is the same judge for every skater so you could compare their scores all down the entire sheet. Interesting to know, thanks.

Matt K

On the Ice
You know what they say about when you assume...

But hmm I didn't know Judge #2 is the same judge for every skater so you could compare their scores all down the entire sheet. Interesting to know, thanks.

No, that part is randomized. Judge #2 for one skater is not necessarily Judge #2 for another. However, marks for Judge #2 for a particular skater is in line with column 2 for that skater.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, you can. Each judge's marks and GOEs are presented in its one row, it is not mix and matched throughout.

No, that part is randomized. Judge #2 for one skater is not necessarily Judge #2 for another. However, marks for Judge #2 for a particular skater is in line with row 2 for that skater.

Thanks, Matt K.
(You mean "column" -- as opposed to row -- but I get the drift. ;))

caitie

Medalist
No, that part is randomized. Judge #2 for one skater is not necessarily Judge #2 for another. However, marks for Judge #2 for a particular skater is in line with row 2 for that skater.

Oh, okay. That's what I meant. Someone was saying the same judge who scored V/M with some 8s scored another team like so, and I didn't think it was possible to read the sheet like that. And I guess it's not!

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
oh c'mon AGAIN B/S higher than W/P?? How did that happen?!!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, Pechalat/Bourzat and Cappellini/Lanotte are being put to rest for Olympic medal hopes, aren't they? :no::cry:

I'm glad to see it be SO CLOSE between D/W and V/M. Should be very exciting to :popcorn:!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I see the corruption for Bobrova & Slobbov extends beyond Russia now. What a shame. Good to see V&M so close to D&W. My ultimate hope for this year was always for V&M to get their 1st ever Grand Prix final title, and D&W the Olympic title.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I see the corruption for Bobrova & Slobbov extends beyond Russia now. What a shame. Good to see V&M so close to D&W. My ultimate hope for this year was always for V&M to get their 1st ever Grand Prix final title, and D&W the Olympic title.

W/P have a more sophisticated program; polished, better posture. I could go on. However B/S have more obvious power and speed and ice coverage and they sell it to the MAX!! And today they were cleaner than at COR. The finnstep and twizzles were less ragged for B/S when also compared to COR. Another plus is that they are the world bronze medalists, so the judges are treading carefully. But its all very close, all should really be decided after the F/D. Looking forward to see the improvements they have made to the "Bird's" program. I'm not a fan of B/S per say but they did their jobs.

Macassar88

Medalist
I think that B/S's SD is a bit better than W/P's - lots of close holds and stuff which account for the extra point. But I think that W/P's FD is much better and they should win that section given that both teams skate to their abilities.

I definitely think that Davis and White should have been dinged more for their twizzles which had that synchronization error and Virtue and Moir should be in the lead. Also it bothers me that they do so many hops (outside of the Finnstep) in order to get speed - especially in the midline step sequence

Still have to watch the other performances though.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks to everyone for PBPs!

I think you meant that Meryl and Charlie might have a larger fan base in comparison to the CANADIANS. :biggrin:

uncchristine99

Rinkside
So exciting!!! I'm on DW's boat but there was an obvious hitch on the first twizzles--for these 2 teams, it's going to come down to little things like that so I was also surprised they took 1st. Like others have stated though, the point spread is so tiny that it doesn't really mean a thing and both teams are on even ground going into the FS. (Kinda awkward as a WR though cuz it obviously wasn't perfect.)

DW were pretty good... it wasn't as clean as it's been all season and it looked like nerves to me. I'm sure they heard VM's whopping 77 points so I think they ran a bit high throughout this performance. They didn't seem as synchronized and things were frenzied at times--the first half of the Finnstep was a bit choppy. I'm surprised they squeezed out a level 4 for that but the 2nd half was lovely. I looooooooooooooove that their beautiful lift from Die Fledermaus is back!! My heart skipped when I saw it! The original lift was okay but this one definitely packs a bigger punch for the money and music and the crowd always loves it. I still can't deal with their music though--it's so aggravating. My Fair Lady is one of my favorites but I think this rendition is just awful--it's very shrill and faux operatic and lacks all the punch that DW are giving it on the ice. It's very incongruous with their choreo IMO. I'd like more instrumentation and more of a pop vocal or even a Glee-ish vocal. The middle section to their Finnstep is great but with every outing now, I'm really annoyed by this "I Could Have Danced All Night." Usually, that song makes me feel very giddy and it's very uplifting but this version just bugs me. :(

VM really threw down the gauntlet. I've liked their SD all season but I still feel like the Finnstep doesn't go in there. The best parts of it are the beginning and end with the slower music cuts. I find them innately provocative and I love their slow and deliberate ZING in these sections versus the jaunty Finnstep. It's super mature and effortlessly elegant--I can't say enough. That's just my opinion style-wise but their technical prowess on the Finnstep is no joke. I really love the first half--I just think they're the best in the closed hold. Conversely, I like DW best in the second half when there's very little closed hold.

Comparison-wise, DW beat VM in only the first Finnstep pass and the lift, which I agree with on the lift. This is my question to you guys who are code experts... with the twizzle hitch from Charlie, how does a judge decide if that's a marked-down level or just a negative or lesser GOE? They had a lesser GOE than VM for this outing and rightly so but for those who say VM should be in the lead and by more because of the twizzle mistake, should DW have been given a level 3? I've never quite understood this part of the code and even across pairs and singles, how do you call something an underrotated 3A with negative GOE instead of downgrading to a 2A, etc.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Comparison-wise, DW beat VM in only the first Finnstep pass and the lift, which I agree with on the lift. This is my question to you guys who are code experts... with the twizzle hitch from Charlie, how does a judge decide if that's a marked-down level or just a negative or lesser GOE? They had a lesser GOE than VM for this outing and rightly so but for those who say VM should be in the lead and by more because of the twizzle mistake, should DW have been given a level 3? I've never quite understood this part of the code and even across pairs and singles, how do you call something an underrotated 3A with negative GOE instead of downgrading to a 2A, etc.

How well they do the twizzles has almost nothing to do with the level on the twizzles, unfortunately. I can't explain as well as Doris, but the first criterion for levels is simply that the twizzles are at least x rotations (no matter how sloppy the rotations), and they you need a certain number of 'extras' such as difficult entrance, hands behind back, grabbing blade, etc to nail the levels further. Something being 'wonky' like on the first twizzle won't impact the levels unless, pretty much, they fail to get the right number of rotations, or they fail to execute one of the other things necessary as a skill to get the level. I hope this is sort of making sense?