Senior Pairs SP - GPF 2013 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Senior Pairs SP - GPF 2013

BounceAround

On the Ice
I have a soft spot for P/T this season
hope they can sneak in for silver

I agree. I admire them for sticking around for so long, especially given their health problems. They have a wonderful connection on the ice, and I hope they do well at the Olympics.

I've been consistently impressed by Cheng and Zhang this season. I'm glad that they finally skated a clean short program because I love the music. She has beautiful arms.

mary01

Final Flight
Wow I just watched all the pairs and they were magnificent, what a competition. The competition started really well, and it only get better and better.
I'm also quite impressed with Cheng and Peng, they keep getting better and better every time I see them. They don't look like a new pair but like pair that has been skating together for many years. My favorite pairs here were P/T and V/T. I always loved watching P/T and their skating just has everything, they really feel the music, and no matter what choreography is given to them, I always find myself liking it. With V/T I just really like their sp choreography, and I love the ending pose, perfect ending with a perfect interpretation to it.

penguin

On the Ice
What a great overall event. I found myself preferring S/S with their artistry and lyrical interpretation this time, but V/T have an undeniable It factor and jaw-dropping tricks. It's nice to see that the scores are somewhat close between 1 and 2 though -- keeps things interesting. And I'm really enjoying Pang and Tong too, I don't know if they can battle for Olympic gold or silver, but it's so lovely to watch them skate well.

I am the first person to admit that S/S's SP this season is one of the least complex programs they've had in recent years but they skated it extremely well. Their basics are a bit stronger than V/T's and they had more speed and power. V/T's program was skated to the music well but construction and transition-wise, it wasn't very complex either.

Both teams executed most of their elements extremely well but I thought S/S had a slight edge. Both throws had incredible height and distance and solid landings. V/T's was probably a little more secure. Both had very solid 3toes but S/S had a shorter entry, preceded by a dance lift and executed the jumps much closer together. S/S had a clean 3twist (which doesn't happen often to them!). V/T had great height on it but the catch was late and her downfall wasn't impeded much (not that the judges cared, 7 +3s...). S/S had more speed and a stronger edge on the death spiral. More speed and unique positions on the spin. Both step sequences were great but I thought S/S had a bit more speed and deeper edges. Both lifts were good but I thought S/S had a bit more speed, flow and ice coverage.

Overall, I'd probably reverse the point totals, so that S/S would end up with a few points over V/T. Not surprised at all to see the opposite happen though. It's V/T that have been ramping up the momentum and have the politics on their side as well being Russia's main and possibly only shot at figure skating OGM.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

1. Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG (CHN) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

2. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

3. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

4. Qing PANG / Jian TONG (CHN) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

5. Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY (GER) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy

6. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

elee63

Final Flight
P/Z are really performing quite nicely. He seemed so relaxed, and it really boggles me how the two have managed to form the glimpses of chemistry that were certainly NOT there at the start of the season.

He seems very supportive of her, and it really is nice to see Peng come out of her shell. Her growing confidence as well as their stellar performances both here and in the free make me think that it really is over for Sui/Han...

sweetskates1

Medalist
I do not think that Sui/Han are over; they are acrobats on ice and unlike any other pair.

P/Z are really performing quite nicely. He seemed so relaxed, and it really boggles me how the two have managed to form the glimpses of chemistry that were certainly NOT there at the start of the season.

He seems very supportive of her, and it really is nice to see Peng come out of her shell. Her growing confidence as well as their stellar performances both here and in the free make me think that it really is over for Sui/Han...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

It's not over for anybody. Sui/Han have also improved greatly and would have been at GPF instead had it not been for a meltdown FS at their second event.

Anyway P/T are likely to retire this season and I think they'll get their third spot back, so room for both plus junior pair Yu/Jin.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Pang/Tong probably won't go to Worlds, so we'll get to see Sui/Han there. It does seem that Peng/Zhang are locked in for the Olympic team now, though. He really deserves it too. For so long he has been an amazing pairs skater, but was totally held back by Dan Zhang. Depending on who retires after this season, I could already see Peng/Zhang as World Champions next season. If they keep improving at the rate they have been this season, why not? They were excellent here at the GPF.