Men LP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Men LP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
So, Patrick was clean and lost the free skate to a guy who fell! Karma is funny sometimes!...
If any Patrick's fan thinks that he deserved to win the free, JUST LOOK AT THE PROTOCOLS :laugh:

PChan was clean if you compared to his usual standard of FS skating. But he did step out on one jump, so less visible and costly mistake than Hanyu.

yuki

Final Flight
PChan was clean if you compared to his usual standard of FS skating. But he did step out on one jump, so less visible and costly mistake than Hanyu.

Yes, but then again Yuzuru's base value was 8 points higher than Patrick's (and that's with a botched spin), which gave him room for a mistake. He was scored rather generously in PCS, but apart from the fall his performance was very strong - this is hardly on the level of what happened at 2012 Worlds.

Oh, and seeing Patrick fans cry foul when another skater is overscored strikes me as a bit hypocritical - just saying :slink:.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
Hanyu - excellent. That program is great for him, and the choreography is great too, very expressive. I loved what Brian Orser said in the kiss and cry, that there is still room for improvement. So if he can get a score like this with a fall and a bad combination spin, then he can still beat Chan, even without the PCS inflation as others are saying. I really hope he can skate clean at the Olympics! :clap: The only thing I have to shake my head at is the way he acted after his program was finished. A little dramatic for my tastes...

Chan- beautiful program to Four Seasons. Still room for improvement too though in time for the Olympic Games. He didn't seem to happy with it, though he skated clean pretty clean. Maybe because he knew he had 13 points to make up?

Oda- woohoo! He was so happy to be on the podium, and he set himself up well for the Olympics! Happy for him

Machida- This is my favorite Fire Bird program that any skater has ever skated to. Very artistic and pays attention to detail. Great skate for him too :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm just so thrilled that Nobu medalled!!! :love: I so want him to also do well at Japanese Nationals & make the Olympic team.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
The ice is slippery isn't it?! I cannot believe someone unseated Chan, shocking. This is good for Hanyu, good for skating and even good for Chan. I think it is going to be blood and guts in Sochi, the pressure will be intense. Well, may the best skater win, it will be exciting for us to watch for sure!

Becki

Medalist
I'm just so thrilled that Nobu medalled!!! :love: I so want him to also do well at Japanese Nationals & make the Olympic team.

Me too. But at one point, I was thinking, "Nobu had his turn in 2010, so if he misses up, I hope Tatsuki gets the spot because he has proven to be worthy competitor". But Nobu did really well yesterday, and I think he deserves to be on the Olympic Team if he keeps it up :D

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Congrats to all the medalists and wow Machida for coming back from yesterday!

That said, I think Hannyu's score was way too high... His PCS, especially SS is nowhere near near Patrick.
I don't think we'll see these scores at the Olympics.

I know sky fly will disagree but I think Hanyu was generously marked. His choreography and pcs are not as sophisticate IN the alternative if this is truly what the judges see then Patrick might as well give up as well as Dai. Hanyu imho was overmarked; he deserved to win but not by that much and I have say his skating skills should be much further behind Chan her and overall Dai and chan. The pcs were rather generous for Hanyu because I risk being killed I could see how he could have been furher behind Chan in the fs .

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It also is much, much more easy.

Hey Shayuki you do know we aren't sure whose performance is easier. Techically Hanyu might be more difficult but skating skilsl and all and transitions Chan is far more difficult and his ss are far superior to Hanyu.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Me too. But at one point, I was thinking, "Nobu had his turn in 2010, so if he misses up, I hope Tatsuki gets the spot because he has proven to be worthy competitor". But Nobu did really well yesterday, and I think he deserves to be on the Olympic Team if he keeps it up :D

I'm absolutely thrilled. I really enjoyed his programs this season, especially his SP, and really want him to be on the Olympic Team.

I'm sort of torn because I do like Machida also, but I'm feeling sentimental toward Nobu and love the fact he is making such a great comeback after a some injury struggles in the last two years.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Hey Shayuki you do know we aren't sure whose performance is easier. Techically Hanyu might be more difficult but skating skilsl and all and transitions Chan is far more difficult and his ss are far superior to Hanyu.

Just the technical aspects.

I don't know about that, the transition to especially Hanyus second axel was pretty slick.

Becki

Medalist
Hanyu would've still won even w/o the boost in PCs. I have to rewatch the performance to comment, but I know he skated his heart out infront of a home crowd and that is very admirable :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Just finished watching the men's competition. WOW again for Yuzu he certainly delivered the 1-2 punch at this competition.
He is an amazing athlete. A big Congrats to him! :bow:

Patrick was so happy in the K&C, nice to see. His LP is really wonderful and he skated with a lot of heart. :clap:

I am doing my happy dance for Oda! :yay:

Good recovery for Machida but his low score in the SP really put him at a disadvantage for a medal.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm sure you said the same about the countless occasions in the past when Chan made big mistakes but still got overinflated scores and way too high PCS ;)

Actually when Chan falls or makes errors he does not get personal best PCS; his PCS scores drop (e.g. sub-90 at 2013 Worlds) which is deserved. Haters just complain that his PCS doesnt take a severe enough hit.... and then when he skates clean they find another reason to whine about his PCS being too high because his skating is emotionless, etc.

By comparison a skater like Hanyu or Lipnitskaia falling and getting a personal best PCS, several points above their previous personal best PCS at that, is wrong.

Perhaps some of Chan's PCS marks have been not as lessened as he deserved, but that's nothing compared to Hanyu exceeding his PCS personal best in a FS by 5 points for a skate with a bad fall and Lipnitskaia receiving a PCS personal best for a 3-triple FS with a fall, or B/S getting a personal best FD score with a fall...those will go down as the worst PCS inflation and home favouritism since the IJS was created.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh yeah and the wins of Chan at the 2013 Worlds and 2010 Skate Canada were completely right and in no way, shape, or form wrong, and only Chan haters say otherwise. :laugh:

If you look at my past posts, these are the two particular competitions that I have explicitly said I do not believe Chan should have won.

I notice you didn't include 2012 Worlds in your usual anti-Chan unworthy victories spiel... Perhaps you've finally come to your senses? :biggrin:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CanadianSkaterGuy said:
Actually I never have. When Chan falls or makes errors he does not get personal best PCS; his PCS scores drop which is deserved. A skater like Hanyu or Lipnitskaia falling and getting a personal best PCS, and several points above their previous personal best PCS at that, is wrong.

I'm so tired off this 'Chan isn't getting such obvious favors' crap. Guess what, if a score is a PB or not depends on your skates beforehand too. The 92+ here is too high (I haven't seen anyone saying his PCS were right, and Hanyu himself said he thinks it was too much), but you can bet your behind this would have been a PB PCS wherever he'd have skated. His previous best was 85+ from the GPF 2012 I think, and he would have definitly beat that. Compared to 2012 (and heck, especially 2011) he's faster and doesn't lose his speed towards the end of the program. Absolutly all of his jumps have transitions, and his programs are jam-packed. Plus, he was giving it his all looking at the performance. This is simply a PCS PB because it was his strongest LP skate so far (in the sense of IJS, at least). If you really think he'll go back to something around 82-83 with a skate like this, you might become a sad man in the future. Heck, even Kovtun scored 81+ in PCS, Hanyu's PCS were hardly the only ones that were too high :unsure:

And didn't Chan receive 90+ PCS for his nearly clean LP at 4CC in 2012, and yet 90+ too for his worlds performance with a waxel and falling behind the music? Yeah,I see the big difference to Hanyus horrendous score here :sarcasm:

CanadianSkaterGuy said:
Perhaps some of Chan's PCS marks have been not as lessened as he deserved, but that's nothing compared to Hanyu exceeding his PCS personal best in a FS by 5 points for a skate with a bad fall and Lipnitskaia receiving a PCS personal best for a 3-triple FS with a fall, or B/S getting a personal best FD score with a fall...those will go down as the worst PCS inflation and home favouritism since the IJS was created.

You'd wish. Nothing of that comes even close to 2013 worlds, and at least Hanyu deserved the overall win. After downplaying him, you need to stop trying to use his score to make Chan's look better. It's not working.

spikydurian

Medalist
If you look at my past posts, these are the two particular competitions that I have explicitly said I do not believe Chan should have won.

I notice you didn't include 2012 Worlds in your usual anti-Chan unworthy victories spiel... Perhaps you've finally come to your senses? :biggrin:

I posted in another thread that pangtongfan should now bestow the honour of 'falling and winning' and 'Name-flation' to Hanyu if PTF has a fair mind. Hey PTF, you know it takes a lot of skills to fall and win so really, this is no small honour. Unfortunately, Chiddy now has to step down from the throne. Are you going to crown Hanyu or will you still insist that Chan is falling and winning?

Anyway, Hanyu is undoubtedly the best now. I think he will mow Daisuke and the rest of the guys at Japan Nationals and ready to take over as the Rock Prince (hey skyfall, you should be pleased).;)

I am soooo :disapp: for Patrick. :biggrin: