Ice Dance FD - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance FD - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think it's safe to say that the Olympic medals are going to come down to D/W and V/M for gold and silver and P/B, B/S, or I/K for bronze. None of the other teams have shown improvement throughout the season and don't have the political backing to push for the Olympic podium.

I agree. I don't think C/L are contenders at all anymore, regardless of what some people were saying at the beginning of the season, and W/P only have an outside shot. I'm not QUITE sure about I/K - if their beating P/B was just a "fluke," or if they're on the rise.

P/B's short dance concerns me since it seems they often dig themselves a hole in the standings with it. At C of C and the GPF they managed to dig themselves out, but if other teams skate their very best at the Olympics in the FD, they could find themselves unable to.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow, W/P were really hammered on the levels. 3.5 points less BV than CoR and 4.0 less than SC. Yet again, B/S have a fall and are placed ahead of them. :rolleye:

Nice to see that the fight between D/W and V/M is closer. I still think D/W will come out on top because they're technically stronger and both teams are essentially artistically matched. Good momentum for V/M with the judges finally responding well to their programs. Perhaps they might even split the team event and individual event in Sochi.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hmm, well I'm no tech expert but I can spot at least two bobbles by Poje in the step sequences, each one coming on turns. And with the exception of the lift where he flips her up by her skate (which I think is amazing), their lifts aren't as daring or as difficult as P/B's. But again, I'm not a techie at all. LOL.

Matt K

On the Ice
Watching the videos of V/M and D/W again back to back, in the SAME event, confirms how much better V/M are in their edgework, presentation and interpretation. No other team, in both tech and artistic, is even close to V/M's best. I don't like the last 2 lifts though, especially the final one, too simple. Hopefully they get even more comfortable with the programs, up the mileage near the end of the program, and peak in Sochi. Here's hoping, even if the US judge says otherwise...

D/W are running, not skating most of the time. I hate how most of their transitions, especially near the second half of the program are running on more flats than skating and gliding on edges. This is ice dance, not pairs. When they aren't running, and need to skate on edges (step sequences) they either skate far apart (circ. step) or when they try to skate close together they don't extend their positions all the way in the free leg. It was still the case here at GPF.

B/S- even with the fall I liked them better at CoR than here.

P/B- technically much sharper than TEB IMO. Not my favorite FD of theirs but skated well.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It does look good for Marlie / dw. I do think V and M's freeskate has more potential but htey have to add difficulty and smoothness and continue to work on those lifts. remember like in pairs sometimes some lifs dn't look hard but they get the levels.I would have v and m higher on interpretation though than d/W (more of a gap). still I think D and W will be given th enod come Sochi.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
I think V/M freedance score was way inflated for what they did. I knew that would happen. It's like the judges inflated their score for drama and to put pressure on D/W to skate their best.

I agree. There's no way this dance could've gone from 104 to 112 in such a short time. They did perform it very well this time, but it doesn't change the fact this FD is simply bad. The choreo is a mess, the music cuts even moreso, there is no story behind the elements and, for a couple considered "the true ice dancers" by many, there's a whole lot of open holds. I actually think P/B should be beating them in CC, IN, PE and TR. Sorry, but their lovey-dovey, man-woman, blah blah looks are way too worn out to be considered great intepretation.

I am sure the judges inflated the score to add up some spice to the competition. They're the only team whose close scores to those of D/W look relatively believable. Still, Meryl and Charlie should be outscoring them with this FD big time. The SD is a different case, both dances are pretty much equal, but there are lightyears between those FDs.

jan

On the Ice
I totally agree. V/M are ice dancing whereas D/W perform like race horses. There is no comparison.

Watching the videos of V/M and D/W again back to back, in the SAME event, confirms how much better V/M are in their edgework, presentation and interpretation. No other team, in both tech and artistic, is even close to V/M's best. I don't like the last 2 lifts though, especially the final one, too simple. Hopefully they get even more comfortable with the programs, up the mileage near the end of the program, and peak in Sochi. Here's hoping, even if the US judge says otherwise...

D/W are running, not skating most of the time. I hate how most of their transitions, especially near the second half of the program are running on more flats than skating and gliding on edges. This is ice dance, not pairs. When they aren't running, and need to skate on edges (step sequences) they either skate far apart (circ. step) or when they try to skate close together they don't extend their positions all the way in the free leg. It was still the case here at GPF.

B/S- even with the fall I liked them better at CoR than here.

P/B- technically much sharper than TEB IMO. Not my favorite FD of theirs but skated well.

KKonas

Medalist

D/W are running, not skating most of the time. I hate how most of their transitions, especially near the second half of the program are running on more flats than skating and gliding on edges. This is ice dance, not pairs. When they aren't running, and need to skate on edges (step sequences) they either skate far apart (circ. step) or when they try to skate close together they don't extend their positions all the way in the free leg. It was still the case here at GPF. .

Don't think you know an edge from a flat, but Gordon-Poltorak sure does and she was Tech Controller here and is the Chair of the Ice Dance Tech Committee.

Matt K

On the Ice
Don't think you know an edge from a flat, but Gordon-Poltorak sure does and she was Tech Controller here and is the Chair of the Ice Dance Tech Committee.

Read carefully please. I'm talking about the transitions, not the step sequences:

"D/W are running, not skating most of the time. I hate how most of their transitions, especially near the second half of the program are running on more flats than skating and gliding on edges."

Ms. Gordon-Poltorak is the TECH CONTROLLER, she assigns levels for STEP SEQUENCES (a required element in the TES). There are no levels for transitions in ice dancing as transitions are not required elements in the TES mark.

elif

Medalist
We are criticized Ilinykh/Katsalapov because of the dance holds, but even they are doing some effort before the steps. Looking at the Virtue/Moir: they are finishing their lifts, skating wide apart and then doing some running steps before the both step sequences. I don't understand how their transition score so close to Davis/White. :rolleye:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
This might actually be perfect for V&M. They didnt win but they were very close and closed the gap on D&W considerably. As Carole Lane said just now it is much easier to be the hunter than the hunted and with this D&W are still the hunted, yet the wolf is on their back. I would still favor D&W for the Olympic Gold but V&M have a real shot now. Based on this event there isnt an overwhelming favorite for the Olympic Gold in any event.

jan

On the Ice
Agreed!
This might actually be perfect for V&M. They didnt win but they were very close and closed the gap on D&W considerably. As Carole Lane said just now it is much easier to be the hunter than the hunted and with this D&W are still the hunted, yet the wolf is on their back. I would still favor D&W for the Olympic Gold but V&M have a real shot now. Based on this event there isnt an overwhelming favorite for the Olympic Gold in any event.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

QUOTE]

You have some point here imo. Watching two best ice dance coupes at the same event give a lot of look for not only their programs themselves but also way that they're skated them. Choreography, program, music, costumes - this is one thing, the other is how dancers will use it by their skills, connection and feelings and when we add this two things together we get a complex performance which we like or not. I'm writing this in advance, because I don't want to be misunderstood - my upper statement means that performances in ice dance are composed by many features and in addiction these features are judging by people with different perceptions or tastes so all of us can see each performance in a different way, from many points of view.

I rewatched canadians and americans three times (each of them, one after another) - overall, by a concept/music/costumes americans might be better, why - music is more familiar, costumes are "rich" and express the lineup of the story telling in music, concept is more visible for spectators, because the Scheherezade's story is (mostly) known. In canadian's case these features are more "complicated" - music is not-so-known, costumes are quite unmatched in my opinion (I wish Tessa has some other dress but now, personally I have no idea how it should look like...) and the idea behind the music choice/choreo of that FD is not easy for everyone. As I wrote in previous GP ice dance threads, there is always more risky to choose some rarely used music and built a fresh concept for the dance to it. At first I had almost no enthusiasm about Tessa and Scott's FD - maybe just because it wasn't executed well. But today's performance was a proof for me that that FD is unique and attention-worthly. They created their little world by that music and their movements to show everyone their story. I'd be a liar if I say that I wasn't paying attention on their tech elements - I was but they were incorporated here just naturally, without cutting the breathing, flow and fluidity of their movement so I could focus myself on reception some emotions which they wanted to give. In Davis/White case...I don't like to repeat myself, but for me transistions in that FD are mostly inexistent - I'm sorry but constant "hoops" and twists not help to built complex choreography and emphasise the story and the music moments...They have very strong tech elements indeed, but between them there is so much empty, awkward moments which could be used beautifully to accent music/connection. They worked with Alex Wong on that FD - I suppose it was for adding some balletic style, but I don't see it at all - many positions are not fully extended, arms are not finished and fluid from one pose to another etc. There is a documentary on YT about russian ballerinas ( "Ballerina") and there is a short glimpse of Scheherezade ballet where Ulyana Lopatkina danced lead role - Americans should watch it and see what fluidity of movement between tech elements should look like by that music.

In case of PCS - as I said earlier different people have different preferences and tastes, but I can't understand a gap between these two couples in skating skills area - as You said this is DANCING, not pairs skating, couples have to execute certain elements but during the dance - for me it means using edges, close dancing holds and matching these features to the rhythm of the music. Virtue/Moir used edges better and more frequently while Davis and White tried to look fast with (very) distracting hops and twists instead of using edges as much as Virtue/Moir. I realise that "edge dancing" may be not as fast/exciting as free holds or making twists/hops/turns/whatever but that "edge dancing" is essential for me and should be marked properly to its difficulty.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Can I just say that Meryl and Charlie take my breath away. That program was just... I can't. It builds in this extraordinary way. They looked a little cautious to me at the beginning, but once the twizzles were out of they way... just... I can't.

For me they win the free dance.

Absolutely! they grow with each competition, and their program evolves as well. Loved the little changes they made and the new ending pose. I thought they were being a bit cautious, maybe settling in the changes to the choreo, but my God, they definitely skated so well to break their own record. I can't wait to see how this program will keep evolving in the following competitions!!

sweetskates1

Medalist
Too cautious and extremely disappointing for us fans. :( I am happy that they only had two weeks to come back from their last competition. They probably slowed down training and will pick up where they left to come out swinging in Boston. It will be thrilling and they will likely break world records. This has the opportunity to supersede their 118+ at nationals and I am going to love every minute, I just hope my biggest fears remain just unfounded dribble and that they do not some how lose at the Olympics.

Absolutely! they grow with each competition, and their program evolves as well. Loved the little changes they made and the new ending pose. I thought they were being a bit cautious, maybe settling in the changes to the choreo, but my God, they definitely skated so well to break their own record. I can't wait to see how this program will keep evolving in the following competitions!!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Watching the competition again I have to say i really feel Virtue & Moir deserved to win this one (although I am trying to be objective I am probably a bit partial as I really wanted to see V&M win their final ever Grand Prix final, and I am a big fan of theirs despite Scott's attitude). Davis & White skated well but were definitely not at their best and most exciting and I think V&M had mostly superior elements and performance level today. Dissapointing result.

Weaver & Poje were badly hosed. Ridiculous to be scored so much lower than P&B and behind B&S with a fall again. The most undermarked dance team in history possibly.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Yay p/b!!! Good for them! Dont care about VMDW at all.

True, maybe 2nd or 3rd then. Drobiazko & Vanagas were such an amazing team and so underappreciated. I always wondered why, and eventually put it down to being from such a small federation with no political pull.

Yeah they needed to be from Bulgaria at least! Lol!

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

1. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE (ITA) Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

2. Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

3. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) Free Dance, 2nd copy, 3rd Copy

4. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

5. Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR (CAN) Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

6. Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE (USA) Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy

Complete Free Dance, Medal Ceremony

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols