How tired are you of footwork sequences that take 30+ seconds to complete? | Golden Skate

How tired are you of footwork sequences that take 30+ seconds to complete?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
How tired are you of footwork sequences that take 30+ seconds to complete?

I'm extremely tired of them. Every skater takes a minimum of 30 seconds to attempt a Level 4 footwork sequence in their programs these days. Some of these sequences go on for 40+ seconds. That's 1/4 of an entire Short Program.

There is no skater in the World who can do these sequences with every moment of it working with the music. Doesn't matter if it's Takahashi, Chan, Asada, or Jason Brown - they always get stuck on a couple of the steps or turns that stick out like a sore thumb, saying "I'm useless and I don't add anything to this program, but I'm required to be here in order to satisfy an arbitrary rule."

I believe the rules should be changed so that only 22 seconds worth of footwork, counted continuously from the moment the footwork sequence is called as "starting", are allowed to count for determining the level of a sequence. I picked this amount of time because, having extensively studied footwork and gone back and counted the durations of the best footwork sequences ever, none of them ever took more than 22 seconds from start to finish to create their full effect. The GOE guidelines should also state that a clear shape on the ice is required or else points are deducted. I'm very tired of footwork sequences that go in every which direction with no reasoning behind it other than to cram steps/turns in the easiest way possible.

The SP needs to go back to having 8 required elements, since less time will be spent on a single footwork sequence. 2 footwork sequences for the Men should be required and a footwork sequence + spiral sequence should be required for the Ladies. The spiral sequence level rules just need to be altered from how they used to be so that we don't see the same damn sequences all over the place. The crappy catch-foot spirals should not count as a difficult variation. Positions that are actually difficult variations should only need to be held for 2 seconds in order to count as a feature. The classic spiral position with excellent extension (Michelle Kwan level or better) should automatically count as a difficult variation. Make a fully-extended split jump or stag jump inbetween spiral positions count as a feature. Allow 3 spiral positions done quickly in a series to count as a level feature, so that spiral sequences can be better used to interpret fast-paced music and not be ALL about hyper-flexibility.

anthologyz

Rinkside
amen to this! i don't care for all the re-edited music cuts that repeat phrases so the skater can cram in more features. and i think it's especially painful for some skaters who don't have the skating skills to sustain the momentum required for it.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Definitely agree about restoring 8 elements to the SP and making footwork shorter. What do you think about making the Biellmann no longer count as a level feature for the layback spin?

penguin

On the Ice
Totally agree. I love dazzling footwork sequences when they're done well, but the stuff being crammed into programs these days looks so laborious, even when the skater has very good skating skills. When they don't... it's just tedious.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Also about this:

I believe the rules should be changed so that only 20 seconds worth of footwork, counted continuously from the moment the footwork sequence is called as "starting", are allowed to count for determining the level of a sequence.
Doesn't that mean nobody will ever reach a Level 4? I think if this happens, the level requirements should be reworked, too.

LRK

Record Breaker
I must confess that I've found myself longing for a good oldfashioned focussed and dynamic straight step sequence. These just... go meandering all over the place. I must say, though, that I'm glad the rule for skating a certain time on one foot - that was "in" for a while - is gone. With the better skaters one might not even notice, but with many of them it was just ridiculous how they kept waving that free foot around. You could see them thinking: "I will not put that foot down! Will... Not... Put... It... Down... "

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The footwork sequence rules used in the 2005-2006 season were the best. http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-175180-192398-89562-0-file,00.pdf
Wasn't that the season with the first level 4s (for Takahashi and Plushenko)?

I'm extremely tired of them. Every skater takes a minimum of 30 seconds to attempt a Level 4 footwork sequence in their programs these days. Some of these sequences go on for 40+ seconds. That's 1/4 of an entire Short Program.
The answer to the question in the subject line: very, very tired. Even wonderfully musical skaters can't fit all the L4 requirements into a sequence that really suits the music, and I find all the changes of direction and upper body movement disjointed and unappealing. Footwork shouldn't just be about going this way and that, there should also be an emphasis on posture, lines, and the ability to hold an edge for more than a fraction of a section. If it were up to me, I'd do away with levels for steps (and maybe spins as well) and grade them with GOE only, like the choreo step sequence. And I wouldn't be opposed to a time limit for step sequences, just like they have for ice dance lifts.

I also miss footwork sequences that had a pattern and direction. The only thing that should cover the entire ice surface is the Zamboni.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Correct! Charlie White also got a Level 4 that season as a singles skater! :)
I knew that he got one fairly early, but since it wasn't in international competition I didn't mention him.

I think Kostner was the first lady to get a level 4, back in the 2007-8 season.

elif

Medalist
As a ice dance fan I'm hating those steps. Even top teams can't fit that element in their program. You can watch all teams or their previous programs then you can see: all of the steps looks same even programs are different. :rolleye:

96skiluvr

On the Ice
What do you think about making the Biellmann no longer count as a level feature for the layback spin?

Yes! They all look the same now - Sasha Cohen always had the prettiest laybacks, many of which did not have a Biellmann. Watch her 2002 Olympic SP - beautiful layback, and it didn't have a Biellman

mateusp1

On the Ice
Yes... Most of top skaters' step sequence these days look endless and very very very long.

I have to say that I like some of them. Others I do not like.

I am gonna give an example of a skater that I like: Carolina Kostner. She is known for her great footworks.

-Her Bolero Step Sequence, I liked. It is super long(I have already counted the lasting time) and it lasts more than 45 seconds, almost 50 seconds. But, it kinda fit the music and was nice to watch.

-On the other hand, I am not a fan of Humoresque Step Sequence. Yes, it is fast, it s long(44 seconds, I've just counted) and difficult, but you really do not recognize when the footwork starts and finishes. It seems that Lori and Carolina had that part of the music empty and decided to throw the footwork there.

But, I have to say that I like Carolina's older footworks more. My favorites are:

-2007/2008(Riders on the Storm) SP, lasted 30 seconds. This is, also, my favorite program from Carolina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=497d5stpQS0#t=150

-2008/2009(Mujer Sola & Canaro en Paris) SP, great step sequence, just good program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bGFKB6m2zHY#t=146

-2010/2011(Prélude à l'Après-Midi d'un Faune) LP, great steps and great program. Blades of Passion already said that, for him, it was the best footwork in the 2011 worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RMIoHusJm7I#t=227

Another footwork that I really like is Mao's 2006/2007 Nocturne. She decided to reuse the program, but the footwork now is very long and takes forever to finish. Don't get me wrong, the new Nocturne step sequence is beautiful and very difficult. But, the older was lighter and better suited to the music.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Footwork sequences can look long and laborious, but they're an important feature for distinguishing skaters' skills outside of big elements. You can tell a lot about a skater's edge control, performance abilities, and ability to handle difficulty from their footwork sequence. As much as they can damper a performance, it forces skaters to show the fundamentals of figure skating. Kinda like the compulsory sequence in the short dance... a bit annoyingly repetitive to see, but integral to the sport on some level.

If anything I'm annoyed by spirals being shorter... they used to be a highlight -- now they're relegated to 3 seconds of a 10 second ChSp.

desertskates

Medalist
Yes!! Bring back longer spirals. I really miss the wow factor that a really good one could bring.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
What's even more annoying are the super long and laborious side by side spins in pairs. Gone are the days when holding one beautiful position was sufficient in side by side spins (or any spins, for that matter). Also, the lift positions (in both pairs and dance) now look awkward and often downright painful. Same thing with death spirals. I actually don't mind the longer footwork. While we're on the subject of annoying requirements, PLEASE revise the rules such that a Biellmann position is not necessary for getting the highest levels for laybacks. Most skaters just can't make it look good. Give me a Hughes/Nikodinov/Cohen layback any day. If I never see a Biellmann again, I will be very happy. ;)

To summarize, spins, as well as pair and dance lifts, are currently far more annoying to me than the footwork.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'd be all for adding a choreographic spin a la Ice Dancing to the singles events, as long as it DIDN'T require 29783423987434343 changes of position. A single position beautifully held can be so satisfying to see, y'know?

I tend to agree with CanadianSkaterGuy on the importance of footwork sequences though. Perhaps a good compromise would be to require a lengthy one in the short and a far less lengthy one in the free.

I'm actually a fan of IJS, but I've always thought one of the main problems is they take a good idea like "Hey we should give more emphasis to footwork sequences" and then stomp on it by codifying the points TOO MUCH. Does that make sense?

As always, YMMV...