Yuna's free program to Adios Nonino - Review | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Yuna's free program to Adios Nonino - Review

jaylee

Medalist
I thought the same at first, but now I think it will be magical if she just interprets the music differently at some moments.

Btw, it's ironic that lots of people on GS criticize Yuna for not showing enough emotion during her programs, that they are usually talking about her lack of facial expressions. A

Personally, I like a mixture of both facial and bodily movements. If you want to like her lack of facial expressions in this program, that's fine with me. But for me, it's not enough--whether she is Yuna or not.

TBH, I don't know what either of you guys are talking about. Yu-Na shows a range of facial expression in Adios Nonino, all reflective of the music. The camera view isn't always close enough to see the range, but it's certainly there in photos.

Same with Les Mis--I was baffled by people saying that she wasn't showing a lot of facial expression, because she was, at every single moment.

Ven

Match Penalty
Personally, I like a mixture of both facial and bodily movements. If you want to like her lack of facial expressions in this program, that's fine with me. But for me, it's not enough--whether she is Yuna or not.

Facial expressions are ok, and Yuna does them. We're in agreement, because I was saying that only using them is the lazy way. Anyone can just fake smile or fake cry or frown or whatever, it's not particularly difficult and it's not particularly appealing. I don't see what the big deal is with the complaints about Yuna, sometimes I see people complaining she doesn't skate around with bright smiles like a 15 year old girl thrilled about winning her first title. News flash, she's a grown woman who's been there and done that, I think she conducts herself in a very sincere and appropriate manner.

Ven

Match Penalty
TBH, I don't know what either of you guys are talking about.

I didn't say it about Yuna. I said I see this criticism about her on GS all the time, which is dumb. She doesn't need to over emote.

Barb

Record Breaker
Mao probably has more stamina than Yuna, no doubt about that. However, her program difficulty is only demanding on paper. Mao has not successfully proved that she can actually land the jumps she has planned. Right now, she only has 3Lo, 3F, and 3S(barely). She gets dinged for UR and 2foot landing on her 3A, and flutz. Heck she doesn't even have 3-3.

ok then you want to talk about they actually put in ice Mao: 3F, 3T, 3S, 3F, 3L Yuna 3F, 3S, 3Lz, 3S.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
TBH, I don't know what either of you guys are talking about. Yu-Na shows a range of facial expression in Adios Nonino, all reflective of the music. The camera view isn't always close enough to see the range, but it's certainly there in photos.

Same with Les Mis--I was baffled by people saying that she wasn't showing a lot of facial expression, because she was, at every single moment.

That could be the case. Maybe, maybe not. I've only watched the program/performance twice, and didn't focus on her facial expressions as much as I did her movements to the music. Still, I think the program needs a lot of work as I pointed out in my review earlier in this thread.

re: Les Mis. I learned to like the program prior to Worlds, but I thought she still looked in anguish--facial expression-wise--most of the time. Not her best program, but I eventually liked it.

I didn't say it about Yuna. I said I see this criticism about her on GS all the time, which is dumb.

I see this criticism about a whole range of skaters all the time on GS, not just Yuna. It just happens that the arguments and the refuting statements are all the same all the time. Just replace the skater's name and there you have it.

bebevia

On the Ice
Oy... the facial expressions!

I remember back in 2013 Worlds, there were two bigs that insisted on

1. Too little facial expressions, vs.
2. Too much facial expressions.

Neither of them argued against another, except against those who thought she did well. Adequacy of facial expression may be subjective, but "too little" and "too much" are very arguable; I expect that would change.

* BTW, Yuna already stood with Biebs on an 2010 American survey article on kids' idol thing. I think Psy triumphs both (...).

RABID

Final Flight

I guess it doesn't matter the program, if a skater doesn't exhibit excitement and joy then that person has no facial expressions. ;)

MiRé

Match Penalty
ok then you want to talk about they actually put in ice Mao: 3F, 3T, 3S, 3F, 3L Yuna 3F, 3S, 3Lz, 3S.
Yes when you compare GPF results to Yuna's B event (where Yuna got higher score anyways :rolleye:)

And why are you even comparing GPF vs Golden Spin? It would be more appropriate to compare Mao's SA vs Golden Spin given they were Mao's and Yuna's first competition this season.
3F, 3S, 3F, 3Lo (22.33) vs 3F, 3S, 3Lz, 3s (23.66).

People forget Mao has limited amount of jumps she can land cleanly. Yuna proved she can land 6 triples that she has planned without a single negative GOE(2013 Worlds), whereas Mao, who planned to have 7 triples, only managed to land 4 at worlds and 5 at GPF. So yes, Mao may seem to have difficult jump layout, but she can't prove to land them all. On the other hand, Yuna can prove she can land all her 6 triples that she has planned.

Barb

Record Breaker
Yes when you compare GPF results to Yuna's B event (where Yuna got higher score anyways :rolleye:)

And why are you even comparing GPF vs Golden Spin? It would be more appropriate to compare Mao's SA vs Golden Spin given they were Mao's and Yuna's first competition this season.
3F, 3S, 3F, 3Lo (22.33) vs 3F, 3S, 3Lz, 3s (23.66).

People forget Mao has limited amount of jumps she can land cleanly. Yuna proved she can land 6 triples that she has planned without a single negative GOE(2013 Worlds), whereas Mao, who planned to have 7 triples, only managed to land 4 at worlds and 5 at GPF. So yes, Mao may seem to have difficult jump layout, but she can't prove to land them all. On the other hand, Yuna can prove she can land all her 6 triples that she has planned.

You can´t ignore Mao´s jumps for ur or "e" call, the judges don´t ignore it. Mao landed 6 triples in 4cc 2012 and 4cc 2013, and 7 triples in 4cc 2011. I agree Yuna can to land her planned triples clean, but this doesn´t do her program more difficult, therefore you were talking about this new program specifically as if it is the most difficult program even for Yuna, but she is doing the same jumps like last season.

Krislite

Medalist
I tweaked the video to make the choreographic sequence match her timing in practice: https://vimeo.com/81298908

This is about as close as we're going to get to seeing the whole program as conceived and intended until either Korean Nationals or Sochi.

Krislite

Medalist
Well, wadaya know. KSU has confirmed that Yuna is competing at Korean Nationals. :biggrin:

It'll be a different rink from last year, though, a more modern one with presumably better ice conditions and temperature control.

gourry

Final Flight
:yay::yay:

Oops I thought I quoted Krislite but looks like I failed? Anyway thanks for the info, Krislite! One more chance to see her programs, yay!

RABID

Final Flight
Well, wadaya know. KSU has confirmed that Yuna is competing at Korean Nationals. :biggrin:

It'll be a different rink from last year, though, a more modern one with presumably better ice conditions and temperature control.

Thanks, Krislite. So your comment regarding the ice conditions; am I to infer this is S Korea getting its house in order for 2018?

Krislite

Medalist
Thanks, Krislite. So your comment regarding the ice conditions; am I to infer this is S Korea getting its house in order for 2018?

No. The venue for this season's Korean Nationals is simply one of the newer ones built in the last decade. It's not a rink built for figure skaters nor do they train there (too crowded I hear), but its ice surface quality is computer controlled and venue's air temperature is not freezing cold.

I understand that there are rinks being built for 2018, but they won't be ready for a a while.

RABID

Final Flight
No. The venue for this season's Korean Nationals is simply one of the newer ones built in the last decade. It's not a rink built for figure skaters nor do they train there (too crowded I hear), but its ice surface quality is computer controlled and venue's air temperature is not freezing cold.

I understand that there are rinks being built for 2018, but they won't be ready for a a while.

Oh well. Either way, it's good to hear and perhaps in those warm confines she'll start working in some of that YuNa magic into her programs. :)

Franklin99

Medalist

Thank goodness they are building some, but they should have done it as far back as 2008-09. It probably would've given more upcoming figure skaters a chance to blossom by Sochi.