Hanyu sees Chan as inspiration and not a rival. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hanyu sees Chan as inspiration and not a rival.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
This thread should be about Yuzuru Hanyu's comments regarding Patrick Chan as an inspiration to him (further proof that Yuzuru is classy and awesome). Perhaps those who want to discuss how Chan is misunderstood and his comments are forever taken out of context should start a new thread? I even have the perfect title: Chan's just a soul whose intentions are good... etc.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/409744462701531136

this guy is a native English speaker and added the tag #fightinwords in response to Chan's tweet. I don't think finding it cocky has anything to do with understanding English.

Yes, McCarvel is fluent in English.
But IMHO: "Them's fightin' words" does not automatically mean cockiness. The expression often is used with good-natured humor to indicate friendly competition. (I am a native English speaker.)
I would add that McCarvel went on to indicate his approval of Chan's spirit.

The entire Twitter conversation btwn @NickMcCarvel and his NBC colleague @nzaccardi:

‏@NickMcCarvel 8 Dec
#Hanyu beats Chan in the free skate winning the #GPF13. "I'll let Yuzuru win this one and I'll win at the Olympics," Chan says #fightinwords

Nick Zaccardi ‏@nzaccardi 8 Dec
@NickMcCarvel That's not all he said!

@NickMcCarvel
@nzaccardi Say it on the ice, Patrick

@NickMcCarvel No way, say it to the media! Figure skating (all Olympic sports, really) need more candid stars!​

‏@NickMcCarvel 8 Dec
@nzaccardi Oh I see what you're saying. #AGREED​

wallylutz

Medalist
Yes, McCarvel is fluent in English.
But IMHO: "Them's fightin' words" does not automatically mean cockiness. The expression often is used with good-natured humor to indicate friendly competition. (I am a native English speaker.)
I would add that McCarvel went on to indicate his approval of Chan's spirit.

The entire Twitter conversation btwn @NickMcCarvel and his NBC colleague @nzaccardi:

‏@NickMcCarvel 8 Dec
#Hanyu beats Chan in the free skate winning the #GPF13. "I'll let Yuzuru win this one and I'll win at the Olympics," Chan says #fightinwords

@NickMcCarvel That's not all he said!

@NickMcCarvel
@nzaccardi Say it on the ice, Patrick

@NickMcCarvel No way, say it to the media! Figure skating (all Olympic sports, really) need more candid stars!​

‏@NickMcCarvel 8 Dec
@nzaccardi Oh I see what you're saying. #AGREED​

Precisely, it was a friendly nudge akin to say I'll let you have this one hopefully luck will smile on me instead when it really counts. Anybody who seriously believed Chan was implying he lost GPF on purpose is just, well...don't know what to say as it's not very polite.

You'd think NBC would be more careful about this knowing what happened to Jimmy Kimmel and ABC.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
This thread should be about Yuzuru Hanyu's comments regarding Patrick Chan as an inspiration to him (further proof that Yuzuru is classy and awesome). Perhaps those who want to discuss how Chan is misunderstood and his comments are forever taken out of context should start a new thread? I even have the perfect title: Chan's just a soul whose intentions are good... etc.

When someone started to drag Chan into this thread and talked about Chan should learn Hanyu's poise, I don't see why you have to restrict the other side to explain regarding to this topic?

Abbott once tried to adopt Chan's attitude as a way to build up his competitive image and help his own confidence. I thought many people understood his strategy and effort, and even encouraged him to do that. It didn't work for him though. What I want to say is that it might be a way for some skaters to maintain focus and chase away their negative thoughts at the time. Alexei Yagidin did that. Evgeni Plushenko did that. Brian Boitano did that. Evan Lysacek did that. Johnny weir did that. Even Brian Joubert did that. Many other top skaters did that.

Is Hanyu's way a nice way? Yes. Does every skater have to learn to talk like Hanyu and all Japanese skaters? Absolutely no.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Gee, I'd think most English speakers know this kind of jokes made all the time, sometimes between rivals and sometimes between friends without real rivalry. It's friendly one upmanship.

rocketry

Rinkside
I'm a native English speaker too, and I'm not particular bothered by the quote or cockiness but I found it demeaning that people were implying that their interpretation of Patrick's direct quote came from not understanding English.

Some people prefer for skaters to let their performance do the talking and express only their admiration for others. It's certainly something to admire about Hanyu.

Kalina

On the Ice
This is what was aired on CBC (Patrick's interview is from 3:00 onwards). Perhaps those who saw NBC's broadcast might tell us if Patrick's comments were cut or if both channels aired the same content.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
This is what was aired on CBC (Patrick's interview is from 3:00 onwards). Perhaps those who saw NBC's broadcast might tell us if Patrick's comments were cut or if both channels aired the same content.

From my memory of seeing once on NBC, I think they are the same as NBC's broadcast. I don't see a thing wrong here. He did not talk about Hanyu. He was talking about himself. The only nitpicking anyone could do, I think, is he said he LET Yuzuru win this and he'll win the Olympics.

phaeljones

On the Ice
I'm a native English speaker too, and I'm not particular bothered by the quote or cockiness but I found it demeaning that people were implying that their interpretation of Patrick's direct quote came from not understanding English.

Some people prefer for skaters to let their performance do the talking and express only their admiration for others. It's certainly something to admire about Hanyu.

:thumbsup: so agree.

Cultural norms. The "Heroic Boast" in western literature goes back to Beowulf, Homer, and Gilgamesh. Courteous speech is more valued in Japan.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
From my memory of seeing once on NBC, I think they are the same as NBC's broadcast. I don't see a thing wrong here. He did not talk about Hanyu. He was talking about himself. The only nitpicking anyone could do, I think, is he said he LET Yuzuru win this and he'll win the Olympics.

That is indeed nitpicking. I don't think any skater actually "lets" other skaters defeat them, particularly someone as competitive as Chan. I agree he's said foul stuff in the past, but some people are truly mincing his words to vilify him which is pretty unreasonable.

As Yuzu has demonstrated, culturally Japan is more polite and reverent. I mean, he bows after every skate, regardless of how good or bad he does. :agree: And his comments are certainly full of class and humility.

Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek finished in an exact numerical tie (244.77) at 2007 U.S. Nationals, and Lysacek won on the tie-breaker. IIRC Weir's comment was, "Well, I have three (U.S. titles), so I'll let him have two."

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek finished in an exact numerical tie (244.77) at 2007 U.S. Nationals, and Lysacek won on the tie-breaker. IIRC Weir's comment was, "Well, I have three (U.S. titles), so I'll let him have two."

Hah, that's probably a little worse than Patrick saying I'll let Hanyu have the GPF as long as I get the OGM (it's not like Chan said "I already have 2 GPF titles. So I'll let Hanyu have 1"). But, hey, it's Johnny. :laugh:

wallylutz

Medalist

Waiting for the same people who denounced Patrick Chan re: his GPF interview to denounce Johnny Weir as well, one can dream I know. :rolleye:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Waiting for the same people who denounced Patrick Chan re: his GPF interview to denounce Johnny Weir as well, one can dream I know. :rolleye:

I don't have a problem with Chan's statement. I think its kind of fun. I enjoy ribbing. Now I have issue when he states he deserves huge scores for falling three times and those of us who disagree don't understand skating!

But I'm going to win the Olympics, okay live or die by your own words.

The thing is those kind of statements can either turn out really well "The Olympic Games is my destiny" Yagudin. Or they can turn out really poorly. "Yu na is invincible" The one thing I will say is that after losing the free skate to someone who fell-and you didn't well.. I don't know if its a smart attitude to have.

But I applaud him for going out there and stating it.

It should fire up his competitors.

wallylutz

Medalist
I don't have a problem with Chan's statement. I think its kind of fun. I enjoy ribbing. Now I have issue when he states he deserves huge scores for falling three times and those of us who disagree don't understand skating!

But I'm going to win the Olympics, okay live or die by your own words.

The thing is those kind of statements can either turn out really well "The Olympic Games is my destiny" Yagudin. Or they can turn out really poorly. "Yu na is invincible" The one thing I will say is that after losing the free skate to someone who fell-and you didn't well.. I don't know if its a smart attitude to have.

But I applaud him for going out there and stating it.

It should fire up his competitors.

Correct me, when did Chan fall 3 times at the GPF? :sarcasm: If not, why do you keep beating a dead horse?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Correct me, when did Chan fall 3 times at the GPF? :sarcasm: If not, why do you keep beating a dead horse?

I dont think chan fell- he did stumble but no fall. He didnt fall in the free program. He stumbled on the triple axel a ddoulbed the lutz.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Cultural norms. The "Heroic Boast" in western literature goes back to Beowulf, Homer, and Gilgamesh. Courteous speech is more valued in Japan.

It would be nicer if it was valued more greatly in more places than just Japan. And perhaps the fact that Hanyu's popularity is soaring, not just for his skating but for his off-ice personality, is an indication that at least some other people value it as well. He has courteousness in spades.

spikydurian

Medalist
It would be nicer if it was valued more greatly in more places than just Japan. And perhaps the fact that Hanyu's popularity is soaring, not just for his skating but for his off-ice personality, is an indication that at least some other people value it as well. He has courteousness in spades.

Life will be pretty boring if we eat the same food everyday. Imagine a world where everyone think and talk alike. Sometimes what we see may not be what we get.