Hanyu sees Chan as inspiration and not a rival. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Hanyu sees Chan as inspiration and not a rival.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
It would be nicer if it was valued more greatly in more places than just Japan. And perhaps the fact that Hanyu's popularity is soaring, not just for his skating but for his off-ice personality, is an indication that at least some other people value it as well. He has courteousness in spades.

Not every culture or every person loves the style of bowing so often, you know.

bebevia

On the Ice
...I've personally never been offended by or felt Patrick offensive; that's how average North American guys express determination and competitive spirit. I mean, if you were, I guess you might be shocked by hiphop artists' genuinely friendly demeanour. It's not balletic enough, perhaps? Where is young boiling blood, everyone!

Sweet Hanyu and dude Patrick are just boys being different.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
obviously.

didn't say anything about bowing. sheesh, this is a tough house tonight.

It IS tough when a skater couldn't even say let someone win without being picked on. It is a way to speak, like to say, "I'll let you have it. I'll have that."

phaeljones

On the Ice
It IS tough when a skater couldn't even say let someone win without being picked on. It is a way to speak, like to say, "I'll let you have it. I'll have that."

I did not take part in that discussion except to agree with someone who said that they had no problem with what Chan said. If you have a personal issue with me, let it slide. okay? peace

emdee

Final Flight
...I've personally never been offended by or felt Patrick offensive; that's how average North American guys express determination and competitive spirit. I mean, if you were, I guess you might be shocked by hiphop artists' genuinely friendly demeanour. It's not balletic enough, perhaps? Where is young boiling blood, everyone!

Sweet Hanyu and dude Patrick are just boys being different.
So totally agree!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Phaeljones, I am sorry. I don't even know you or your positions. Why should I have personal issue with you? It's hard to understand why have I offended you? You were talking about more places should adopt Japanese style. I said not everyone likes that style and want to follow the suit. You said it's a tough house here. I said yes it's tough for skaters. If you had said up front not to quote you, I would certainly not have quoted you.:sarcasm:

phaeljones

On the Ice
Phaeljones, I am sorry. I don't even know you or your positions. Why should I have personal issue with you? It's hard to understand why have I offended you? You were talking about more places should adopt Japanese style. I said not everyone likes that style and want to follow the suit. You said it's a tough house here. I said yes it's tough for skaters. If you had said up front not to quote you, I would certainly not have quoted you.:sarcasm:

peace bluebonnet. thanks. misunderstandings abound.

treeloving

Medalist
Wow, even in this kind of thread the regular poster find a chance to bash Yuzuru again, I'm seriously doubt if some people here has "problem" and need help.:disapp:

spikydurian

Medalist
Some people, especially the predominantly female audience of figure skating like to hear sweet words - know that the world is not made of sugar and honey, not even close. When dreams awaken, the reality can be cruel.
:laugh: True, true. This article is so reflective of how the male and female gender behave and react differently to similar situations. Love this bit:

Yes, you argue that men are constantly sniping at each other in tiny ways. You call this “dueling.” -
There are a number of criteria: It’s symbolic, playful, stylized. In its purest form, it looks quite a lot like a performance. But the disposition to duel sort of seeps into everyday speech too — like if two guys, for example, come up to each other, and one of them says, “Hey, you old son of a *****. How the hell are ya?” and maybe insults him a little bit about his bulging midriff, or his thinning hair, or some weird shirt that he is wearing. Women would simply never, never, never do that. They might later privately tell someone, “Hasn’t she aged terribly?” They would never say to her face, “Well, look at the wrinkles on your face” or, “My God! I’ve never seen bulging breasts like those before,” and so forth.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Abbott once tried to adopt Chan's attitude as a way to build up his competitive image and help his own confidence. I thought many people understood his strategy and effort, and even encouraged him to do that. It didn't work for him though. What I want to say is that it might be a way for some skaters to maintain focus and chase away their negative thoughts at the time. Alexei Yagidin did that. Evgeni Plushenko did that. Brian Boitano did that. Evan Lysacek did that. Johnny weir did that. Even Brian Joubert did that. Many other top skaters did that.

This is exactly the impression I get from Chan's 'let him win this' comment. A way to self-boost confidence.

SquishyDumpling

Rinkside
:laugh: True, true. This article is so reflective of how the male and female gender behave and react differently to similar situations. Love this bit:

I hope you're joking b/c that's an annoying generalization to make... I must be a guy then b/c my friends and I act out the guy scenario more than the women scenario :scratch:

Back to topic. I think Hanyu's learned a lot from just competing with Chan the entire GP season. His competitive mentality really improved from SC to the GPF, and I think it had a lot to do with competing against Chan - someone he had a very small chance of beating. He had to adjust himself. Now he's focusing on himself and not on how Chan and the others score, it seems to be working for him. Hopefully he can take this mentality onto nationals, olympics, and worlds.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Hah, that's probably a little worse than Patrick saying I'll let Hanyu have the GPF as long as I get the OGM (it's not like Chan said "I already have 2 GPF titles. So I'll let Hanyu have 1"). But, hey, it's Johnny. :laugh:

Not that it really matters, but for the record he actually did kind of say that... (I've won a lot of competitions and finals in my career, so I'll let Yuzu win this one)

Anyway, I don't think it really has anything to do with competitive spirit or north american culture or whatnot. i honestly think it just came out wrong, and he didn't mean to stir the pot - you can't fault some people for the comment rubbing the wrong way though.

Re: the topic, in a sense, I think Yuzuru was pretty lucky to be skating with Patrick at both events. He got a chance to learn from him and also get a first hand look at his skating skills and practices.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Yuzuru was very lucky to get to skate with Patrick Chan for three events. He learned that he can focus outside of the pressure and re-focus and continue even when there is a mishap. When Yuzuru's blade got caught in the ditch at BEP and he missed both of his quads, he still got up and re-focussed and never gave up. (Patrick did the same at GPF. Even when he was distracted by the sky cam, he never gave up and he fought really hard in that sp skate. One gets the impression that they both inspire each other.) When Patrick Chan gave the interview at Skate Canada and spoke of Hanyu's skating (describing Hanyu's transitions), Hanyu (according to Hanyu) was hanging on every word to learn as much as he could. If there has been any season where there has been shown the greatest improvement in Hanyu's performance, it is this year and having the opportunity to skate with Chan has to be a big part of that.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If there has been any season where there has been shown the greatest improvement in Hanyu's performance, it is this year and having the opportunity to skate with Chan has to be a big part of that.

Maybe a little credit for his new coach Brian Orser?:) I think Yuzuru's stamina has noticeably increased which has helped his LP greatly.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just wish Mr. Chan would learn to think before he speaks. But I've been saying that for many years now, so I guess it's a case where he just doesn't care if he comes off sounding like a mean-spirited jerk.

The only male skaters I can think of who mouth off like this are Chan, Moir, Plushenko, Majorov and Shabalin (who thought D/S should have won at least silver in Vancouver). Only two of these are North American.