4 Accused. Who are Guilty? | Golden Skate

4 Accused. Who are Guilty?

4 Accused. Who are Guilty? =There's 5, I forgot one.

Theres: Kobe, Martha, Michael, and the guy in San Diego (forgot the name)

Do you think all of them are guilty?

Joe

Last edited:
I can't really work up any indignation over Martha Stewart's mishap. The Enron people and other corporate crooks got away scott free, even though they destoyed thousands of people's lives by looting their pension funds and running their companies into bankruptcy. All Martha did was sell some stock after getting a hot tip at a party.

MM

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I agree with Mathman. Her's is minor compared to those others. Of course, I'm really disgusted with Enron for taking down Andersen when it was just a couple of employees and it took down the whole company. My nephew in Chicago was a partner with Andersen and he is one of the sweetest and most honest people I know. He and several others have now formed their own company.
I don't have much doubt that Kobe and Michael are guilty but they do deserve a fair trial. Trouble is, it won't be fair because they have money, etc. I don't know who you're talking about with someone in San Diego. Might just be that I just forgot. I'm assuming the Michael is the guy that presumably killed his wife and unborn child???
And if Martha did sell some stock that way, who of us wouldn't be tempted to do the same thing? I probably wouldn't do it but boy how tempting. It seems they are only after her because she is a successful woman. I know a lot of people don't like her but so far, I don't have a problem with her. I would have to have more proof she is as bad as they say. Seems as if you are a successful woman, a lot of people, especially the media, want to take you down.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Did you mean Scott Peterson? He is accused of killing his wife and their unborn son. Going by what has been reported, I would be suprised if he isn't found guilty. In fact, I would be shocked if he isn't given the death penalty.

Kobe- I honestly don't know. It's so easy for those kinds of accusations to be made.

Martha- If it were anyone but Martha Stewart, nobody would care. Should we be using our resources on this?

Michael- It's like Kobe, it's easy to make accusations against wealthy, famous men. You really have to study the evidence and I obviously haven't.

It's obvious that Michael couldn't pass for ''normal'' by almost any measure. I have a hard time understanding how anyone would entrust their child to him. Still, being different doesn't make you guilty and he has a right to be considered innocent.

That's his name: Scott Petersen. Thanks SusanBeth.

I agree with Mathman and Granny. Martha should be hit with a fine and forget the trial when you compare all she did with Enron, etc.

Kobe = It's a temptation worth not taking. There are so many groupies to choose from but one is going to bring the 'star' to court.

Michael - Same thing. Yet he is obsessed with children, and like Susanbeth says its "hard to understand how anyone would entrust their child to him".

Scott - If he did it, he really is a monster. If he didn't, then it will just pass over. Yet some prosecutors are dumb. It reminds me of Martha Clark. She lost that case and was celebrated as a good prosecutor. You figure.

Anyway the petersen case will be in book form and then a film.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Kobe
No idea. I wish he could get a fair trial, but I'm not sure that possible.

Michael
Even though deep down I think he is guilty, I am not sure he is. I would like him to get a fair trial. The problem is, the public will never get the satisfaction of one, since there is so much cynicsim about the justice system. If he is found not guilty, it will be "he has all the $$$, so he got the lawyers who got him off"; if he will be found guilty, it will be "he is a celebrity, so they really went after him even if he was not guilty".

Martha
I know what she did (if she did it) was illegal, but compared to some of the Enron and WorldCom stuff, it's peanuts. I am not saying there should be no consequences, but to make a scapegoat out of her is plain ridiculous.

Kenneth Lay, Jeff Skilling, Scott Sullivan, etc.
GUILTY!!!

BTW, Scott Sullivan, the CFO of WorldCom, even if convicted, will get 5 years in jail (and $250,000 fine). Makes you think aboutthe fairness of the system. According to the federal "mandatory minimum" guidelines, five years is the MINIMUM punishiment for simple POSESSION (not dealing) of crack cocaine. Now, I don't think it would be really going out on the limb to say that Sullivan (if guilty) did far more damage to the society than someone doing crack. But then again that is just the liberal silly me talking...

Antilles

Medalist
Kobe: haven't got a clue.

Martha: the media just loves to build up celebrities so they cna bring them down. A fine should have sufficed.

Michael: he's weird, but that doesn't necessarily make him a criminal. If he did it, I'm not surprised. If he didn't do it, I'm still not surpised. Odd case.

Peterson: I think he's guilty as sin. Too much lying during the investigation, and who goes fishing on Xmas eve and leaves the pregnant wife at home?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Ok. I see now. Forgot about M J. Well, I have no idea who is guilty and who isn't. If M J is guilty, I hope they get to him soon before he ruins the life of another child. It is all just so weird.
Something inside me just says they are all guilty. But that in no way means they are. Just hope that everything turns out that the guilty ones get their punishment and the not guilty ones are exonerated.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Joe,

As a San Diegan, I feel compelled to clarify that Scott Peterson is not now and was not at the time of the murder living in San Diego. He may have lived here at one point, but actually he's in or around the Bay Area someplace, tho which actual city does actually escape me at the moment.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I have another question about M J. I thought his place was in Santa Barbara but a lot of the time they are talking about Santa Maria. They are not even close. Been to both many times. So, how come?

paintbrushhh

Rinkside
I believe that Martha is being proscecuted because she is:

1. A Democrat

2. A woman

3. A tough, independent woman

4. A tough independent RICH woman

5. A tough independent rich UNMARRIED woman

6. An immigrants' kid who has "forgotten her place" and is "too big for her britches".

If only the prosecutors displayed the same zeal in chasing after the Enron execs.

I wouldn't be surprised if prosecutors spend the day going through Oprah's garbage looking for a crumb of crime.

As to the others, I don't think we'll ever know the truth about KB or MK. To me, Scott looks guilty.

Last edited:

dfj

On the Ice
I'll stick my neck out here:

Martha Stewart: definitely not guilty
Scott Peterson: not guilty
Michael Jackson: not guilty
Kobe Bryant: definitely not guilty

We shall see.....!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Paintbrush, though I agree that the case against Martha is ridiculous, I disagree about all the "reasons against". As to "immigrant's child" -- come on! Even our present Bush-appointed secretary of state is an immigrant's child! Also, her parents were actually born in the US, so let's not overstate the case.

and let's not forget the crooks at World Com
Bronxesgirl, let me clarify: in my fitst post I mentioned Scott Sullivan -- that's the WorldCom CFO.

paintbrushhh

Rinkside
Hi Ptichka,

I thought Martha & Mom always talked about how Mom learned this recipe in Poland. My mistake, assuming your biographical data is correct.

But I stand by my opinion. An influential uppity "girl" who earned her own money is a thing of great fear to a lot of men. To paraphrase, we haven't come that far, baby.

So let's not understate the case.

Paintbrushhh.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Scott Peterson and his family live about one and a half hours from here in Modesto, Calif. The news has been saturated with the case for over a year now. I agree, if he were guilty, he would be labeled a "monster". I tend to give these people the benefit of the doubt. There are a lot of people in prison put there by circumstantial evidence. The evidence so far in the Peterson case is circumstantial, which is compelling, but so far, all the prosecutors have at this point.

Michael Jackson........he is odd and eccentric, but that alone doesn't make one a child molester. I hope for his sake and the sake of the children involved that he's not. I am angrier at the parents of these children who allowed their children to spend extended amounts of time with him, allowed them to spend the night at the house of a virtual stranger. If MJ gets hammered, then so should they.

Martha......being naive and trusting shouldn't be a prosecuted offense.........another example of a female making it big and being punished for it...........

Kobe........If he's guilty, he should do the time. She came to his hotel room.......it's not the same as if he were hiding in the bushes, jumped out and grabbed some female.....42

heyang

Record Breaker
KOBE: don't know enought. I have a feeling that it's a case of each sides interpretation of the event. Rape is a crime that is hard to prosecute. It's easy to claim, but hard to prosecute. Assuming that the young lady doesn't cut a deal for money, I think she believes that the sex was not consensual. Why go through the public spectacle - the only reasons are 'it is the truth' money, or revenge/spite. Kobe may believe that the sex was consensual, but that's his interpretation. Most rapes do not involve being dragged into an alley - rape can also occur when the victim does not know how to stop the attacker. Haven't done any research with regards to the statements made.

MARTHA: I do think that she's being used as a celebrity example. However, I think it's became more of an issue because she seemingly has lied to the federal investigators. If she had just said 'yes, I took action upon advice of someone with inside information', she would've been slapped on the wrist and fined. Is she guilty of insider trading? Probably.

Michael Jackson: I think he probably has molested children, but doesn't realize he's done anything wrong. The guy needs help.

Scott Peterson: Haven't followed this case at all.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Martha......being naive and trusting shouldn't be a prosecuted offense.........another example of a female making it big and being punished for it...........
I would NOT call Martha "naive and trusting".

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
......Ptichka.............that is my own personal opinion of course...A savy business woman she might be, but in this case, I think she was naive and way too trusting as to the advice she received.....42

Last edited:
By the way, I left out Robert - Blake that is. I believe his trial is coming up shortly also. What an array of celebs!!!

As for Robert, he had to be the cutest boy in the Our Gang comedies, and a remarkablly good actor in "In Cold Blood". It's tough to decide. For me, the wife was a bit unusual, and I blame him for getting involved with her. When that happens, what can a guy do? If he did do it, I'd give him 5 years.

Joe