Evan Lysacek will not compete this season | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek will not compete this season

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Go check the Evan Lysacek thread. I posted something there previous to this.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Sad news, but not unexpected news. It would have taken a miracle for him to overcome the hip labrum tear in time to be ready to compete this season. Best wishes to Evan in his future endeavors.

Icey

Record Breaker
Very disappointed for him and me. So not this season, does that imply he will compete in the future?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh the saga continues. One would have thought Evan would close the chapter and move on now but of course it appears he can't let it go...He is like the fading actor or actress. I hope he finds happiness but it is time to let "amateur" skating go. e ahs accomplished much and much more than many feel he deserved considering his skill level. He seems to be milking it.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Well I am shocked! No, not really. It is a lot of work to be Olympic ready. Unless you are fully committed and ready to give it 120 thousand % then it probably isn't a good idea to try.
I have never been an Evan fan, his arm flapping always makes me cringe.
I think a lot pf people already predicted this. Good luck to him, he will always be an Olympic champion, he has a lot to be proud of.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Well I am shocked! No, not really. It is a lot of work to be Olympic ready. Unless you are fully committed and ready to give it 120 thousand % then it probably isn't a good idea to try.
I have never been an Evan fan, his arm flapping always makes me cringe.
I think a lot pf people already predicted this. Good luck to him, he will always be an Olympic champion, he has a lot to be proud of.

Evan was fully committed and gave it everything he had. Evan recovered from the surgery that he had in late November 2012. Unfortunately, he was not able to overcome the recent injuries in time to compete this season. Suffering an injury while training, and not being able to recover in time to compete, does not equate to not being fully committed and not giving full effort.

GF2445

Record Breaker
It's really sad to hear that. I was really looking forward to seeing him skate. I wish he took the chance to compete a couple of years agog when he refused to skate due to funding.

All the best to him.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, duh.

Like brightphoton, my only surprise is that he didn't keep up the act until the day before Nationals.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Guess you opted not to use the term 'charade' in this post. ;)

I honestly don't even remember which order I wrote them in.

It's late, I'm tired, and I'm cranky because I just made the terrible decision to re-read part of Weir's book....hang on. I think I'm venting my spleen at the wrong guy here.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Looking very sad, Lysacek is at the Today show studio for a live interview to make a "big announcement" (so far the anchors have only teased the announcement without saying outright what it will be).

NBC has aired a couple of live shots of Lysacek waiting in the green room. His face reflects very clearly how upset he is. Anyone with a heart would feel bad for him. :(

I think this news merits its own thread.

:agree: Thanks for starting the thread, Mrs. P.

LRK

Record Breaker
I wish there would be a video of it online, but I'm going to assume it will be geoblocked as usual. I hate to impose, but if someone could perhaps "report" on what was said for those of us unable to watch it... ? I for one would be very grateful.

I'm sad for his sake - but not surprised. With the reports of his injuries, it sounded as if he was running out of time. Well, I wish him the best in the future.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Lysacek did NOT say that he is retiring from the sport entirely -- and he was asked point blank on the Today show.

He was on the verge of tears during the interview. "My road to Sochi ends here."

(Lysacek was understandably emotional, although Matt Lauer's tone was very gentle.)

ETA:

Nota bene: I'm mostly just paraphrasing.

Lysacek also said that the pain from his labral injury had become "unmanageable," and that doctors told him that training without full healing would put him at risk of permanent damage.

Regarding the question of retirement, Lysacek's answer was along the lines that he didn't want to end his career with his recent very painful weeks on the ice -- and that he wanted to be in control of his decision when to to leave the ice (the implication being that he didn't want injury to force him to make that decision).​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Excerpt from US Figure Skating's official announcement (emphasis added):

INJURY ENDS LYSACEK'S GOAL OF DEFENDING OLYMPIC TITLE IN SOCHI

(12/10/13) - Evan Lysacek, the reigning Olympic champion, announced today that a hip injury will prevent him from defending his title at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. Lysacek, 28, tore the labrum in his left hip in August. Despite aggressive treatment and physical therapy, the injury became more painful in the past month. Heeding his physician's advice that he is at risk of permanent damage, Lysacek will refrain from skating until the injury is completely healed, which could be several months.

"Words cannot describe how disappointed I am to not be able to compete in Sochi," Lysacek said. "The proudest moments of my life have been representing the United States in the last two Winter Olympics. I have suffered numerous injuries over the course of my skating career and they are some of the hardest things an athlete has to overcome. While none of my past injuries have sidelined me quite like this one, I remain determined to regain my health and skate again
."

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49799&type=media

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA:

@JohnnyGWeir
Very proud of a great champion, @EvanLysacek and his graceful bow-out of the Sochi Olympics this morning on @TODAYshow.
5:39 AM - 10 Dec 13
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/410403395204571136

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wish there would be a video of it online, but I'm going to assume it will be geoblocked as usual. I hate to impose, but if someone could perhaps "report" on what was said for those of us unable to watch it... ? I for one would be very grateful. ...

Many Lysacek quotes from the Today show interview this morning are in this text story:

ETA, video of the Lysacek on the Today show + a different text story: