Evan Lysacek will not compete this season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek will not compete this season

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I hope Evan follows his doctor's advice and heals completely. IMO he is like many other top athletes - they truly believe they can overcome the injuries and push through the pain because they love to compete. In Evan's case he has run out of time for his injuries to heal.

I wish him well in whatever he decides to do.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As much as I do think Evan was lucky to win the OGM, and his skating, not person isn't my favourite he is an amazing competitior and he is OGM. I think he made a legitimate try at going to Sochi and in his heart of hearts wanted to go. I do think he was not realistic or maybe fooling himself regardless of the injuries that came that itwas an uphill battle. I think as an athlete he had to have known his pcs skating skilsl and artistry was not of Buttle or Lambiel and he needed the quad. He really would have to improve a lot or hope for a meltdown from Dai, hanyu, Chan, the third Japanese, Javier let alone hold off the Chinese, the Russian, Joubert, Amodio, Ten, the second American, Reynolds and the Czech boys. I prefer seeing champs like Evan leave on top rather than dwindle down so to speak. Even Queen Kwan sort of fizzled out as a skater though she has great opportunities. Alissa was trying legit too but I htink deep down she knew the body was saying no. Evan can be proud of himself; he had his moment. I hope he can find peace moving on. He will always have OGM and not many can say that:)

LRK

Record Breaker
The Today show's closed-captioning transcript (as well as the video itself) is available here for LRK and anyone else for whom the video is geoblocked:
http://www.today.com/video/today/53788721?lite#53788721 (scroll down and click on the transcript tab)​

Of course, the CC transcript is far from perfect, but it's better than nothing for those who are really interested.

(The video link in this post is different from the one I offered earlier in the thread.)

Thank you, golden411!

KKonas

Medalist
It is so much easier for those of us who have not spent their entire life training to become an Olympic athlete to accept that the dream may be over for whatever reason. In Evan's case, he loves to train and so many athletes are accustomed to dealing with pain that they try to deny its lasting effects. I am sure he really did want to compete in Sochi and even though he may have known it was going to be tough, sometimes you just ignore reality until it finally sinks in that the dream has come to an end. But he did accomplish what he set out to do in Vancouver and winning the OGM and world title (in LA) is no small feat. Wish him the best.

wallylutz

Medalist
He's not retiring? Now I am really worried about him. I can see this as a problem dragging on and on...come on Evan, don't wreck yourself. You got the dream once.

I see nothing wrong with him wanting to remain competitive. Why should a skater remain in the sport solely for wins and glories? Evan has already accomplished everything he could have asked for in his sport, clearly, his desire to remain has a lot to do with his love for the sport. And that I think is a rare trait among elite skaters and one I hope we can encourage, not discourage. Emmanuel Sandu is another example I can think of, similar to Evan.

So long as he is not endangering his long-term health, I hope we can continue to support skaters such as Evan and use him as an inspiration for the younger skaters and non-skaters alike.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan: I've suffered Lysacek's injury, understand his pain

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/s...-not-compete-sochi-mens-figure-skating-121013

UPDATED DEC 10, 2013 5:21 PM ET

It’s been almost four years since we last saw Evan Lysacek in competition. Almost four years since he ended a 22-year American drought by winning gold in the 2010 Olympic men’s figure skating competition.

During that time, he tantalized us time and again with the possibility that he would return to the ice — that we would once again be treated to his unique combination of artistry and power. Each time, injury derailed him, but he never gave up his dream of a comeback.

Sadly, the hopes that he would triumphantly return in Sochi came to an end Tuesday with Lysacek’s emotional announcement that this latest injury — a torn labrum in his left hip — would keep him from attempting to defend his gold medal.

[...]

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Nice words from the Kween! If anyone she knows what Evan is going through.

Thanks for sharing.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see nothing wrong with him wanting to remain competitive. Why should a skater remain in the sport solely for wins and glories? Evan has already accomplished everything he could have asked for in his sport, clearly, his desire to remain has a lot to do with his love for the sport. And that I think is a rare trait among elite skaters and one I hope we can encourage, not discourage. Emmanuel Sandu is another example I can think of, similar to Evan.

So long as he is not endangering his long-term health, I hope we can continue to support skaters such as Evan and use him as an inspiration for the younger skaters and non-skaters alike.
I can't see someone as competitive as Evan being happy to simply show up and skate. He always had that eye of the tiger when it came to competing and i doubt he would be satisfied finishing 8th at US Nationals for instance. Plus with his age the injuries are not going to go away.

wallylutz

Medalist
I can't see someone as competitive as Evan being happy to simply show up and skate. He always had that eye of the tiger when it came to competing and i doubt he would be satisfied finishing 8th at US Nationals for instance. Plus with his age the injuries are not going to go away.

I think my earlier post was unclear, so let me clarify. Without a doubt, Evan is a very competitive skater. It is understandable that he or any other elite male skater would want to prove he still has it - the eyes of the tiger was you put it. So the love for the sport and the desire to show his dominance are not mutually exclusive. It would surprise me if Evan is not cognizant of his position within the sport, I don't believe that. Rather, he chose to believe that perseverance can overcome anything - in time and that is healthy so long as he is willing to conduct a reality check and reassessment time to time.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wish Evan the best in the future for whatever path he chooses. While I was not a fan of his skating, I feel he represented his country well and competed very well. AND he never said a bad word about anyone or did anything to bring dishonor to himself or his competitors. Bravo Evan!!!!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Sadly I always was fairly certain this comeback was doomed from the start. Considering age, years of injuries, time away from serious competing, and the increasing technical demands of mens skating which were well beyond what Evan even at his peak ever managed, 2 and a half years of always being injured and never competing seemed inevitable. Still he can be proud of his career, even if he isnt my favorite skater. Nice words from Kwan as usual. I hope for his own sake he moves on to something else now, maybe returning to pro skating when training quadruples and triple axels and 5 position spin combinations is not required, as it is clear competitive skating is something his body cant handle at this point. As much criticsm as Fumie Suguri gets from many people, atleast her body can apparently handle amateur skating in the vacinity she wants to compete in. Evan's cannot.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Well his doctor said he risked permanent injury if he contineud to skate this time around, and it is already his 2nd or 3rd big injury or reinjury since coming back. I think the writing is on the wall on that part, unless he is going to start training pre novice programs as far as technical demands and be happy with that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

But he IS. That's the problem. He doesn't let himself heal properly, and then he gets injured again or makes it worse. I don't want to see him try to compete if it means that he is ruining himself. I HATE seeing skaters do that.

Lysacek's body is giving him clues. Maybe he should take a hint. Nothing wrong with show skating, and I'm sure as an Olympic champion he's worth a bit on that scene.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
But he IS. That's the problem. He doesn't let himself heal properly, and then he gets injured again or makes it worse. I don't want to see him try to compete if it means that he is ruining himself. I HATE seeing skaters do that.

Lysacek's body is giving him clues. Maybe he should take a hint. Nothing wrong with show skating, and I'm sure as an Olympic champion he's worth a bit on that scene.

I don't think he's planning on World competition again... maybe just a show or two just to say good bye... at least that's what I got from his interview.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sadly his body is saying no more competitive skating it appears. I wish him well and hope he doesn't hurt himself.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I personally think that this was the best for Evan, he could not have competed with all the new and young talent, and he would have had a very hard time in socchi. I wish he would have retired after he won the last olympics, because honestly i cannot see him coming anywhere near Chan or Hanyu

kp1231, Welcome to Golden Skate!

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
His injuries have been well documented, so no surprises that he will not compete. I was looking forward to seeing either of his new free programs Don Quixote and/or Samson and Delilah and how they might stack up against todays men's field.