Information in regards to Boston 2014 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Information in regards to Boston 2014

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tax free alcoholic beverages can be purchased at New Hampshire liquor stores.

In MA, you can drive in the breakdown lane or road shoulder during rush hours on some highways, so check for signs about this. You can miss your off ramp sometimes if you're not careful about this.

Rhode Island clam chowder has clear broth (no milk, cream, or thickening). New England clam chowder has milk or cream in it. Clam bisque is thickened New England chowder. Manhattan chowder has tomatoes in it.

EZ PASS works on MA toll roads.

Last edited:

delray1977

Rinkside
Here is some miscellaneous info about Boston - covers driving, alcoholic beverages, subs and sodas! I copied it with permission from a post on FSU:

You will encounter a rotary or two. The law in Massachusetts is to yield to the traffic that's already IN the circle. Not everyone does this, but most do. If you miss your exit, keep going around and get it again on the next try.
- Carbonated soft drinks are soda, unless you're in certain parts of New Hampshire where they call it tonic. Restaurants have contracts with either Coke or Pepsi, but not both.
- A sandwich served in a long bun is a sub or grinder. Grinder is more prevalent along I-84 through Connecticut and western Massachusetts.
- A place to purchase alcoholic beverages is a package store or packy. With rare exceptions, grocery stores in Massachusetts do not sell beer or wine.

Nationals is getting closer!

:eek::I can't believe that I have lived in Boston half of my life and I don't know some of these facts. Actually I live in the North end, alcohol is sold in the supermarkets and our local 7-11 in that neighborhood, also just to let people know that state laws in Mass require that alcohol stopped being sold in Stores at 11pm.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, grinders are grinders in Connecticut. A "regular grinder" is made on a huge, crusty Italian bread, with lettuce shaved like coleslaw, tomatoes, provolone cheese, and cooked salami, with olive oil, salt & pepper (Not Mayo). In Massachusetts, I'm not sure that this works, but a regular grinder IMO is the best Italian Sandwich anywhere, particularly if the bread is topnotch.

Why are they not subs? Well, it is claimed that the "sub" sandwich was invented in Southeastern CT , and it was called a "grinder" because of the crustiness of a proper grinder roll. Boxes of grinders were often delivered to the local Groton/New London submarine base, where the navy personnel dubbed them Submarines because they kind of resemble a submarine. However, like most fast food origins, this is disputed (but here in the Groton/New London area, we believe it).