Confirmed rosters Olympics 2014 | Golden Skate

Confirmed rosters Olympics 2014

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Great Britain as announced its team, see here.

Great Britain
Jenna McCorkell - ladies
Stacey Kemp/David King - pairs
Ice Dance - Penny Coomes/Nicholas Buckland - ice dance
Mathew Parr - man in team event

Team GB has qualified for the team event. I assume everyone will do the SP/SD (but not qualify for the FS/FD)

Any other national teams announced so far for figure skating?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Great Britain
Jenna McCorkell - ladies
Stacey Kemp/David King - pairs
Ice Dance - Penny Coomes/Nicholas Buckland - ice dance
Mathew Parr - man in team event
GO COOMES/BUCKLAND! I thought they were a delight at TEB.

They make a glamourous team, their skating is a pleasure to watch, and perhaps having them in the spotlight of the Olympics will help boost the popularity of skating in the UK.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Good thread Sequins!

Yes yesway, the team event may be a good way to rise the interest in a country that have middle good skaters. And what a great oppurtunity for Parr. I'm sure he will do better than his best :) I like the team event-idea more and more.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I can give you the first nonofficial names for Germany.

Pairs:

Aljona & Robin
Maylin & Daniel Wende

Ice Dance

Nelli & Alex
Tanja & Stefano

Men

Peter Liebers

While those names need to be confirmed this week, they are pretty much a given.

Ladies

Nathalie Weinzierl (she has not reached the qualification score, but since Germany has a team going on - it is very likely that she will also start in the Ladies)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Australia

MEN

Brendan Kerry

LADIES

TBC

ICE DANCE

Danielle O'Brien/Gregory Merriman

Australia is first alternate for the team event.

Carmen95

Rinkside
I can give you the first nonofficial names for Germany.

Pairs:

Aljona & Robin
Maylin & Daniel Wende

Ice Dance

Nelli & Alex
Tanja & Stefano

Men

Peter Liebers

While those names need to be confirmed this week, they are pretty much a given.

Ladies

Nathalie Weinzierl (she has not reached the qualification score, but since Germany has a team going on - it is very likely that she will also start in the Ladies)

Yup, officially confirmed just a few minutes ago... That´s great for the Wende´s after their long break to have such a great comeback... And a pity for Weinzierl (I have not read it, but I think she will "only" be in the Team Competition) that she missed the qualification score needed by less than a point :/

Yup, officially confirmed just a few minutes ago... That´s great for the Wende´s after their long break to have such a great comeback... And a pity for Weinzierl (I have not read it, but I think she will "only" be in the Team Competition) that she missed the qualification score needed by less than a point :/

There are four international competitions before the Olympics still.

Alex D

Record Breaker

http://www.eislauf-union.de/DEU-Olympia-Team-2014_Newsdetail_258_kkdetail_view_news.html

Yes Nathalie needed 145, but missed it by 0.4 points. The following competitions don't count anymore, as the DOSB had to make the decision for the Athletes today, at January they will nominate the staff like the coaches.

Regarding the official DEU info it is happening Nathalie will start in the Ladies + Team. The team will be "selected" at a later date though out of the following athletes.

Sehr erfreut nahm die Deutsche Eislauf-Union die soeben eingetroffene Benachrichtigung des DOSB entgegen, dass folgende Eiskunstläuferinnen und Eiskunstläufer vom DOSB für die Olympischen Winterspiele 2014 in Sotschi nominiert worden sind:

Herren: Peter Liebers

Damen: Nathalie Weinzierl

Paare: Aljona Savchenko

Robin Szolkowy

Maylin Wende

Daniel Wende

Eistanzen: Nailya Zhiganshina

Alexander Gazsi

Tanja Kolbe

Stefano Caruso

Doesn't that press release say that Nathalie Weinzierl was nominated? So I imagine that she'll take part in both Ladies and team after all? I mean come on, give her a break, it's only 0.4 points!

Alex D

Record Breaker
Doesn't that press release say that Nathalie Weinzierl was nominated? So I imagine that she'll take part in both Ladies and team after all? I mean come on, give her a break, it's only 0.4 points!

Yes, she will start at both - at least I don't see any reason why she shouldn't. As you said, she only missed it by 0.4 points + she showed at the nationals that she can skate much better than she had shown before, therefore the DOSB gave her the ticket. She said it herself "it was a relief to not have to skate with the Olympic Qualification score in mind at nationals".

Those names mentioned above will compete at their respective categories - maybe I wasn't clear there before, sorry if that was the case.

The team itself, those that compete in the team event - will be selected out of those athletes. As we only have one Lady and one Men, we can be quite sure that those will compete. As for pairs and dance - I assume Maylin & Daniel for the pairs and Tanja & Stefano for Dance, but a confirmation is still needed there at a later date.

The Swedish team is Viktoria Helgesson and Alexander Majorov. Good luck to them :thumbsup:

Sweden will also send 3 judges.

I am a little surprised with this announcement. Viktoria Helgesson has had a very disappointing season so far. Yes she is the national champion but I would wait until 2014 Europeans are over to name the lady.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
I am a little surprised with this announcement. Viktoria Helgesson has had a very disappointing season so far. Yes she is the national champion but I would wait until 2014 Europeans are over to name the lady.

I agree. Helgesson had a meltdown this season thus far. However, I am confident she can turn herself around in time for Europeans, so I think the choice is okay.

Czech Republic

Ladies: Elizaveta Ukolova (she lost Nationals to Brezinova but according to Czech Federation's criteria the Lady who won the Olympic spot at Nebelhorn would qualify to Olympics)
Men: Michal Brezina, Tomas Verner

vexlak

Rinkside
Czech Republic

Ladies: Elizaveta Ukolova (she lost Nationals to Brezinova but according to Czech Federation's criteria the Lady who won the Olympic spot at Nebelhorn would qualify to Olympics)
Men: Michal Brezina, Tomas Verner

I do not think that was confirmed yet.
According to their web site, Brezinova was nominated for the EC and the JWC will be determined after their junior nationals. It does not say anything abut OG. Perhaps they are waiting to see if Brezinova can repeat last weeks performance at the EC.

That leads me to ask aquestion.
As per the ISU instructions for the Olympics, those countries with a spot and all alternates should send a form with names of conmpetitiors to the ISU only, no later then 11/1/2014. This is before the EC begins. Therefore I am confused.

Is the ISU only form due by 11/1 name binding and is the country allowed to also register a alternate competitor (just like to WC) or this is not binding and the final name will be sent to Sochi no later than 27/1/14? What is the purpose of sending it twice?

How else will be some countries making decision based on the EC?

That leads me to ask aquestion.
As per the ISU instructions for the Olympics, those countries with a spot and all alternates should send a form with names of conmpetitiors to the ISU only, no later then 11/1/2014. This is before the EC begins. Therefore I am confused.

I can imagine you can send one name plus one or more alternates, just like for ISU Championships.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Czech Republic

Since Brezinova didn't get to go to the Nebelhorn Trophy, she didn't have a chance to be the one to earn the spot.
So the interesting question would be: How did they decide who gets to go to Nebelhorn, since that decision excluded anyone but Ukolova from going to Sochi?!?

vexlak

Rinkside
Since Brezinova didn't get to go to the Nebelhorn Trophy, she didn't have a chance to be the one to earn the spot.
So the interesting question would be: How did they decide who gets to go to Nebelhorn, since that decision excluded anyone but Ukolova from going to Sochi?!?

Many federation do tests after the summer break and assign competition based on the test results.
Brezinova competed only in one or two B's competitions this year with very weak points. Ukolova did JGP and few senior B's with fairly good results.
Nevertheless, Brezinova was clearly better in the their nationals.