Can patrick chan close the gap on yuzuru hanyu? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Can patrick chan close the gap on yuzuru hanyu?

qwertyskates

Medalist
Yes, Yu Na Kim's WD from the grand prix series in no way impacted Julia's success this year, and makes her grand prix showings with Yu Na absent (and Kostner doing her usual sleepwalking early season routine) an accurate indicator of her Olympic chances. Hanyu also wasnt unlucky at all to have to meet Chan in both his grand prix outings. Your theories hold about as much water as little paper napkin trying to hold down a flood.

I like Julia alot more than Hanyu who as I already mentioned I am not a fan, but if you think how Julia currently compares to Kim and Asada (or should I say doesnt remotedly compare at this point) is comparable to how Hanyu is a strong factor at the very top of the mens field, then you are beyond delusional. One will be going to the Olympics with serious hopes of a gold medal, and shouldnt do worse than silver unless he implodes, and the other will be trying to hold off a bunch of women to win a bronze medal, with absolutely no hope of doing better unless 1 of 2 skaters has a complete and utter catastrophe.

Anyway I wasnt just comparing who is better or who has a stronger standing right now, but breaking down their skill sets which arent even to each other. And that Hanyu actually is better in some ways than Chan, he has a much higher base value in the long program, and his GOEs can match and even surpass Chan's; unlike Julia who is better than say Asada at practically nothing (even spins Asada can pretty much match her in).

"Laughable", "idiot", "delusional"...look, I'm done debating if the tone cannot be kept civil. This is an interesting debate but not when insults are thrown. Kovtun, if he is skating his 4-5quad program, will come close to or beat YH's BV. If Sochi is Russia pushing for new blood, then yes, all the frontrunners will be threatened. If that is the case, YH might win OGM, but you can't expect then Mao to win with her GPF performance at GPF in Japan vs JL, as JL's PCS and GOE will rise significantly, especially for battle of LP.

If the old rules hold and stature is valued, veterans have an edge over newcomers, then PC, Mao/Yuna, will all keep their frontrunner status.

I didn't want to believe there are PC haters, but it appears different standards are vehemently applied here to PC that they do not say, for Mao, who has often won despite falling and not bringing her A game. To me, PC and Mao are of equal stature and quality of skating, and both enjoy judges' favoritism, and deservedly so.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hanyu`s technical base value is 8 points higher than Chan, unless Chan is planning to make some changes. Despite that he gets huge GOE compared to almost all the rest of the field, a clean Chan would not best a clean Hanyu on GOE, in fact Hanyu might even gain a couple more points there. So unless Chan wins the PCS by close to 10 points or more (and I dont think he would, Japan ice or not) a clean Hanyu would win the LP I believe.

Could Chan get a few points lead in the short program if both are clean. That might be his only chance to triumph in that scenario, either that or adding more base value to his LP.
I agree about the comments on tes but Chan is undermarked for pcs overall; he deserves a bigger cushion over at least Hanyu but the tide has changed. Chan has to up his tes at least skate clean and hit all level 4's on his spins and footwork to have a chance.

spread beagle

Rinkside
I agree about the comments on tes but Chan is undermarked for pcs overall; he deserves a bigger cushion over at least Hanyu but the tide has changed.

Overmarking is continuing in ridiculous manners. I actually like all marks going down, but if not and if Hanyu get 92 PCS than we can put Chan at 99 constantly.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree about the comments on tes but Chan is undermarked for pcs overall; he deserves a bigger cushion over at least Hanyu but the tide has changed. Chan has to up his tes at least skate clean and hit all level 4's on his spins and footwork to have a chance.

Chan is not under marked for PCS and it has actually been suitably marked this season. It's Hanyu's outlying marks at the GPF that are wackier. The difference should be at least 2.5 marks in the SP if both go clean and it should be at least 5 points if both skate a clean free. I'm a fan of both but it's obvious that Chan is a better artistic skater (though Hanyu has improved he should not be getting 92 points with a fall).

pitterpatter

On the Ice
No, I can't show you. Can you show me the tapes of the japanese referee bribing the other judges so that they overscore Hanyu? Probably not. Can you lend us a time machine, so that we might travel to the future and assure ourselves that what you said will definitely happen? Nope.
I've already explained what I think is the reason for such a big increase in PCS. That explanation makes sense to me, as I've seen the judging system work during these past years. If it doesn't make sense to you, it's your business. It's not like any of us can bring proof of what we're saying, here. Threads like these only exist for the sake of arguing.

I agree with this, I think this thread has pretty much run its course in terms of new arguments/thoughts. This thread topic is pretty :think: to begin with, Patrick is definitely still the favourite heading into the Olympics, although Yuzuru has a real chance at the OGM.

Chan is not under marked for PCS and it has actually been suitably marked this season. It's Hanyu's outlying marks at the GPF that are wackier. The difference should be at least 2.5 marks in the SP if both go clean and it should be at least 5 points if both skate a clean free. I'm a fan of both but it's obvious that Chan is a better artistic skater (though Hanyu has improved he should not be getting 92 points with a fall).

Are you saying the difference should be 5 points in PCS if both skate clean in the free, or 5 points in total? If its the former then I think that's valid, and the marks at the GPF would support that. If it's the latter, then its pretty questionable. As others have established, Yuzuru has a ~7 point TES base value advantage, and as both skaters should get comparable GOEs, the PCS differential would have to be ~12 points, which I don't see happening.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yep I mean 5 points difference in PCS... so if both skate clean Chan should get 96-97 and Hanyu should get 91-92. Considering Hanyu's BV/GOE, this should still win the FS and earn him the victory overall (assuming clean Hanyu is slightly behind clean Chan outside of Japan after the SP), which is correct if both go clean with maxed out content in the FS. With a fall (and no other major error), Hanyu should be getting no more than 88-89, and Chan with a fall and no other major error should get no more than 93-94.

wallylutz

Medalist
No, I can't show you. Can you show me the tapes of the japanese referee bribing the other judges so that they overscore Hanyu?

Did anyone make any an allegation of bribing anywhere in this thread? If so, I must have missed it. Care to show me how or where you read "bribes" into this thread?

Can you lend us a time machine, so that we might travel to the future and assure ourselves that what you said will definitely happen? Nope.

Again, I am completely lost at what futuristic predictions you think I made? There is a big difference between suggesting that an event will unlikely repeat in the future based on the unique circumstances of a past event and making a prediction. Perhaps you need to take a dictionary and read what's the definition of a prediction to begin with.

I've already explained what I think is the reason for such a big increase in PCS. That explanation makes sense to me, as I've seen the judging system work during these past years. If it doesn't make sense to you, it's your business. It's not like any of us can bring proof of what we're saying, here. Threads like these only exist for the sake of arguing.

Here lies the problem. You perceive a conversation here as an argument - a zero sum game. Sorry to tell you that you have it all wrong. I am here to share my perspective and read what others have to say. GS is neither a court nor is anybody on trial here. Your demand for proofs here and there is just plain rude and uncalled for. And even if there is proof, for the sake of argument, I am convinced it wouldn't change the perception of those who are already hell bent in justifying the unjustifiable. Figure Skating has long suffered from this kind of mentality until it all exploded in SLC 2002. While this event is nothing like it, not even close - it doesn't do anyone any favor not to have critical thinking. Instead, these forums tend to fill with irrational and zealous posts making outrageous claims one after the other, which is anything but critical thinking and self reflection. Once again, as far as I know, no one, nor I or anyone else, has made any allegation of bribing however not surprisingly, such false and outrageous accusation was started by someone to totally derail the conversation in a shameful manner. You may want a shouting match, I can tell you however, I am not interested in debating the irrational.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Haha, this should be fun - which GOE were so inflated? :biggrin:

I said GOE was marked in YH's favor at GPF, not "inflated" GOE. I refer you to wallylutz's most excellent post #74 for details.

TEB vs GPF scores is telling. PCS is much higher but so was GOE. It's not one big obvious gesture, but a little shaved here, a little added there that amounts to a medal color change.

Machida in his mistakes-plagued SP scored 26 pts for TES, yet his PCS was 40+, that's unrealistic.

It is expected that home advantage is at work here, like elsewhere,including Canada. however, this doesn't mean PC is now beaten by YH for Sochi, as some are implying.

I like YH, the skater, but he is not a better skater than PC when the whole package is considered, especially between the jumps. In future, when he has refined his skating and program more, then most certainly he will be a great skater.

Though he's great at jumps, he hasn't delivered yet a stunning, moving, near perfect program like PC, Yagudin, Plushenko, Lambiel, etc. did, not at this GPF. Of course as he's still at the beginning of his career, it's no surprise. I am looking forward to something heftier, heavier and more complex from YH in future.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow, I just spit out of my coffee reading that one. Chan who has the reputation around the skating World already as the most held up skater in history, with the largest number of hugely controversial wins in history is "undermarked" in anything. That is rich. :laugh: How on earth could he be undermarked in PCS. The judges are giving him many high 9s and 10s already (even for his bland and forgettable intereptation of Four Seasons which pales in comparision to Lambiel's years back which got mostly mid 7s, what a joke).

I know you're a "lambiel fan" and all, but calling Chan's interpretation of Four Seasons as bland and forgettable is completely absurd -- especially when you compare it to Lambiel's Four Seasons. Lambiel had nowhere near the speed, depth of edges, variety of transitions, or the quality of elements as Chan (other than spins - and even in Lambiel's '06 Worlds FS many positions weren't held). At the time, yes, Lambiel's Four Seasons was marvellous compared to the other guys (and the footwork was particularly lively and well-interpreted), but its choreography and difficulty isn't even close to what we see now in Chan's program. And of course, as a Chan basher and Lambiel uber, you'll say Lambiel's interpretation was better... perhaps you are referring to his interpretation in that section where he stands for literally 15 seconds? :rolleye:

Although I suppose Chan's FS outfit "pales in comparison" to that horrendous, garish zebra/tiger print top which is arguably the worst outfit in men's figure skating history (as Kulik breathes a sigh of relief). :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For the record:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/tara-and-johnny-looking-towards-olympics

NBCOlympics.com: The surprise of the Grand Prix Final was Japan’s Yuzuru Hanyu’s win over reigning and three-time world champion Patrick Chan.
Weir: Being no stranger to wild proclamations myself, I found it odd that Patrick said that he "let" Yuzuru win the Grand Prix Final [after the competition]. I found it arrogant in the strongest sense of the word. Yuzuru really shined in Fukuoka and after a slow start to the season in comparison to Chan's early November world records in Paris.
Lipinski: I think Patrick was probably thinking, "Oh man, this is not good timing," after seeing how Hanyu performed at the Grand Prix Final. After the end of the free skate, I thought, "OK, this guy – Yuzuru Hanyu – really has a really good chance in Sochi." This set Hanyu apart from other contenders: he handled the pressure, stood up to that pressure and stood up to Patrick.
Weir: This was the last meeting of the two before the Olympics and the fact that Yuzuru was victorious, Chan will hopefully be served a wake-up call of sorts and realize that this isn't a one-man game. I am hopeful that both men will skate flawless programs at Sochi and we'll really see who the man in charge is.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

For the record too though I can't link nor have the time to locate, there was a video of Weir stating flat out that he did not like Chan. When asked why, he did some mocking which Chan haters on the site enjoyed thoroughly. (I never brought it up here at the time deeming it unnecessary to start any blown out debate.) It is no secret Weir has expressed his dislike of Chan at least in the past for reasons one may agree or disagree with. I've been hoping he would be professional and neutral as a commentator.

Some people here sometimes quote YT comments to support their views. Personal opinions of biased people are hardly credible or validation.

Letting somebody win is a very common joke when conceding. It is a concession, just like it's understood what a person means when he says, "I didn't win the first game, he didn't lose the second and I wanted a draw for the third but he wouldn't let me.''

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For the record too though I can't link nor have the time to locate, there was a video of Weir stating flat out that he did not like Chan. When asked why, he did some mocking which Chan haters on the site enjoyed thoroughly. (I never brought it up here at the time deeming it unnecessary to start any blown out debate.) It is no secret Weir has expressed his dislike of Chan at least in the past for reasons one may agree or disagree with. I've been hoping he would be professional and neutral as a commentator.

Some people here sometimes quote YT comments to support their views. Personal opinions of biased people are hardly credible or validation.

Letting somebody win is a very common joke when conceding. It is a concession, just like it's understood what a person means when he says, "I didn't win the first game, he didn't lose the second and I wanted a draw for the third but he wouldn't let me.''

I posted that because it talked about the Yuzuru vs. Patrick comparison. That's why I quoted the whole thing, including Tara's comments. More people post GPF, see Yuzuru as a contender for gold in Sochi; I think that's worth noting.

Also, Johnny has been very complimentary of Patrick throughout the series, so i don't see this comment as a way to make Patrick look bad. He's just staying his opinion; there's nothing unprofessional about that. (Although based on his past comments, perhaps he could be consider hypocritical, since some have pointed out that he's said much of the same when he lost the U.S. title to Evan in 2008).

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I know you're a "lambiel fan" and all, but calling Chan's interpretation of Four Seasons as bland and forgettable is completely absurd -- especially when you compare it to Lambiel's Four Seasons. Lambiel had nowhere near the speed, depth of edges, variety of transitions

NONE of those things inherently have anything to do with interpretation. They are tools that can possibly be used to interpret music, but in and of themselves are simply technical attributes.

Interpretation is about transferring the meaning and emotion of music into movement and theater.

Chan's interpretation is most definitely inferior to Lambiel's. He does not dedicate his entire being to portraying the abstract ideals of the music, as Lambiel does. Chan's choreography is inferior as well, because the movements do not create as much rapport with each other and combine into a greater whole. You need to separate difficulty from what choreography and interpretation actually mean. A more difficult piece of choreography (aka choreography that displays a higher level of skating skills and transitions) can easily be a far inferior piece of choreography.

David21

On the Ice
Machida in his mistakes-plagued SP scored 26 pts for TES, yet his PCS was 40+, that's unrealistic.

It was totally realistic. His TES were so low because his whole jump combo wasn't counted at all (beause of some stupid rule), and not because he made many errors which could have been distracting.

Wow, I just spit out of my coffee reading that one. Chan who has the reputation around the skating World already as the most held up skater in history, with the largest number of hugely controversial wins in history is "undermarked" in anything. That is rich. :laugh:

Indeed. Considering he got a ridiculous 9.71 for IN for his LP, I think it is safe to say that Chan is still getting concistantly overscored by the judges, even in Japan where he had to compete against 4 good Japanese skaters.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
I said GOE was marked in YH's favor at GPF, not "inflated" GOE. I refer you to wallylutz's most excellent post #74 for details.

TEB vs GPF scores is telling. PCS is much higher but so was GOE. It's not one big obvious gesture, but a little shaved here, a little added there that amounts to a medal color change.

:think: You're comparing GOEs across competitions without taking into consideration how well the elements were actually executed. I think Patrick was marked very highly by the judges in terms of GOE here. Patrick had to work hard on all of his elements at the GPF, many of his jumps did not have great landings or were a little off in some way. Kurt, the Eurosport commentators, and others have acknowledged this. Despite that, he received comparable GOEs to Yuzuru who had easy jumps and better flow out of them. GOE is something that can and should fluctuate from competition to competition depending on how the element is performed that day. I don't think this is 'telling' in any way, and Yuzuru could've received even higher marks on some of his elements.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Overmarking is continuing in ridiculous manners. I actually like all marks going down, but if not and if Hanyu get 92 PCS than we can put Chan at 99 constantly.

NONE of those things inherently have anything to do with interpretation. They are tools that can possibly be used to interpret music, but in and of themselves are simply technical attributes.

Interpretation is about transferring the meaning and emotion of music into movement and theater.

Chan's interpretation is most definitely inferior to Lambiel's. He does not dedicate his entire being to portraying the abstract ideals of the music, as Lambiel does. Chan's choreography is inferior as well, because the movements do not create as much rapport with each other and combine into a greater whole. You need to separate difficulty from what choreography and interpretation actually mean. A more difficult piece of choreography (aka choreography that displays a higher level of skating skills and transitions) can easily be a far inferior piece of choreography.

Your bias towards Chan will always be skewed. I can't imagine how anyone would call a FS with a 15-second pose break difficult choreo. How on earth do you justify such a lengthy pause with a few arm movements as good choreography? Not to mention his interpretation in his footwork sequences is distinctly different from throughout the program as if he pulls a Plushenko an turns on the "high energy/expression" switch. Chan will never interpret music the way you want him to in order for you to deem it as "difficult". There are several people including the judges who consistently and thoroughly disagree with you. Surely there are some judges who dislike Chan but they continue to acknowledge his excellent skating and interpretation with high scores.

As for Weir labelling Chan's obviously sarcastic comment as sheer arrogance is pretty rich coming from one of the most pompous outspoken skaters ever. Perhaps the word you should use personally to describe Chan isn't arrogant but infuriating and jealousy-inducing. ;)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
pitterpatter said:
You're comparing GOEs across competitions without taking into consideration how well the elements were actually executed. I think Patrick was marked very highly by the judges in terms of GOE here. Patrick had to work hard on all of his elements at the GPF, many of his jumps did not have great landings or were a little off in some way. Kurt, the Eurosport commentators, and others have acknowledged this. Despite that, he received comparable GOEs to Yuzuru who had easy jumps and better flow out of them. GOE is something that can and should fluctuate from competition to competition depending on how the element is performed that day. I don't think this is 'telling' in any way, and Yuzuru could've received even higher marks on some of his elements.

100% agreed. GOE should vary. Instead of doing some comparisons to TEB - look at his elements from the GPF and say which ones supposedly got too much points... (yes, that means you, qwertyskates). If the only thing you say is "his GOE were a lot higher than at TEB", that doesn't mean much. Despite the fact that the execution might have been diffferent, I might aswell say he was undermarked in GOE in TEB (which I don't even want to do now - it's just meant to show you that this comparison doesn't help you much).

Patrick also got very similar GOE to his TEB performance, which is plain weird. A lot of the elements in his LP were done so much better at TEB, yet they were scored nearly the same. That doesn't really look right to me either, but nobody cries foul because of that (at least I didn't read it). But Yuzuru getting higher GOE for a better performance is supposed to be weird? I don't mean to start a "Chan was overmarked too"-counter attack, we've been there often enough, but scores vary between competitions and this has always been the case. If you want to critizice Yuzuru's marks than do that because of what he actually did on the ice, not because of what the judges did some weeks earlier.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Your bias towards Chan will always be skewed.

The bias here is your own. People all over the World who understand skating have repeatedly stated they feel he is overmarked. Your statements are focused on nothing but propping up a skater from your country. How is it that I am biased when I even said Patrick's program this season is better than Hanyu's?

I can't imagine how anyone would call a FS with a 15-second pose break difficult choreo. How on earth do you justify such a lengthy pause with a few arm movements as good choreography?

Again you say difficult, in reference to skating skills, as if that means anything. It doesn't seem like you understand what choreography is at all. Choreography is not how many turns you can do non-stop and how fast you can skate. Choreography is purposeful, characteristic movement that should convey a greater meaning when taken together as a whole.

"Posing" for 15 seconds can certainly be difficult, just in a different way. Do you not understand what theater is at all? Do you think acting is something that anyone can easily do at a high level? Being able to use your arms, face, and body language to emote is a very worthy ability, and it's something that is measured in competitive figure skating. Let's see Patrick try to do a posing section with the same level of gravitas or appeal as Lambiel or Yagudin. The fact is he can't. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with that either. People have different styles and abilities. The problem is when people fail to appreciate these differences. You continually warp Chan's basic skating ability into proof that he has excellent choreography and interpretation, which is total ignorance for an entire artform.

This is a problem in general that CoP has created for skating. As people add more and more transitions into their program to help their scores in that area, their choreography and interpretation and performance often tends to become worse and worse. Putting all kinds of steps/turns into and between your elements displays a greater technical ability, but leaves the skater focusing less on the actual purpose of the movement, the character of the entire program, the sound of music, and the immersion of performance. It's possible for all of this movement to work artistically, which is of course the ideal, but usually it does not. If the judges actually scored the components correctly this would not be as much of a problem, but the judges instead just give a general mark to skaters for their entire PCS and vary each mark only slightly (in part because they don't understand how to judge all of this to begin with).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The bias here is your own. People all over the World who understand skating have repeatedly stated they feel he is overmarked. Your statements are focused on nothing but propping up a skater from your country. How is it that I am biased when I even said Patrick's program this season is better than Hanyu's?

Again you say difficult, in reference to skating skills, as if that means anything. It doesn't seem like you understand what choreography is at all. Choreography is not how many turns you can do non-stop and how fast you can skate. Choreography is purposeful, characteristic movement that should convey a greater meaning when taken together as a whole.

"Posing" for 15 seconds can certainly be difficult, just in a different way. Do you not understand what theater is at all? Do you think acting is something that anyone can easily do at a high level? Being able to use your arms, face, and body language to emote is a very worthy ability, and it's something that is measured in competitive figure skating. Let's see Patrick try to do a posing section with the same level of gravitas or appeal as Lambiel or Yagudin. The fact is he can't. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with that either. People have different styles and abilities. The problem is when people fail to appreciate these differences. You continually warp Chan's basic skating ability into proof that he has excellent choreography and interpretation, which is total ignorance for an entire artform.

This is a problem in general that CoP has created for skating. As people add more and more transitions into their program to help their scores in that area, their choreography and interpretation and performance often tends to become worse and worse. Putting all kinds of steps/turns into and between your elements displays a greater technical ability, but leaves the skater focusing less on the actual purpose of the movement, the character of the entire program, the sound of music, and the immersion of performance. It's possible for all of this movement to work artistically, which is of course the ideal, but usually it does not. If the judges actually scored the components correctly this would not be as much of a problem, but the judges instead just give a general mark to skaters for their entire PCS and vary each mark only slightly (in part because they don't understand how to judge all of this to begin with).

People all over the world have repeatedly said that he is marked fine. And certainly judges all over the world consistently mark him. Even the judges who have the utmost hate for him will never give him below 8's because they are aware of how good his skating truly is.

Patrick would never do a posing section for 15 seconds because he doesn't take those kinds of breaks... and yes, it's a break... not some purposeful theatrical section full of gravitas as you're trying to make it seem to be. As far as purposeful movements, you will never acknowledge what a purposeful movement from Chan looks like. He's taken the haterade from people such as yourself and actually improved his artistry greatly in the past season or two. However, there is no pleasing people like you. You'll staunchly say the sky is yellow no matter how blue it tries to be. To say he doesn't have the "purposeful difficulty" is bs... figure skating is a sport, and if we are taking difficulty, my money goes to the guy with the higher skating and technical ability, not the one with the most "genuine" histrionics (that isn't Chan of course, since no matter how Chan skates he will never seem "genuine" or have "purpose of movement" enough for you). It's the Olympics not the Oscars. :rolleye:

qwertyskates

Medalist
It was totally realistic. His TES were so low because his whole jump combo wasn't counted at all (beause of some stupid rule), and not because he made many errors which could have been distracting.

With all the falls and stumbles, Machida's TES dropped from Skate America 50 and 44.5 at Rostelecom to 26.5 at GPF, yet his PCS remained the same at 40+ for both, and similar to his 41+ at Skate America where he won Gold, even though he skated without falls at both SA & Rostelecom, but poorly at GPF.

There's definitely unrealistic PCS here.

Otoh, YH's LP PCS went from 76+ at SC, 81+ at TEB to 92+ GPF within a few weeks...

PC's LP PCS went from 90+ at SC, 96+ at TEB to 95+ GPF at the same events and time frame. The Math speaks for itself.

Notice that the lowest PCS PC received this season was at Skate Canada.

I like Machida and YH and I have no problems with them receiving home advantage. It is however double standards to create an uproar about Canada but state with absolute certainty that Japan doesn't do it, when it is quite blatant that almost all the Feds do.

As for Weir's disparaging comments about PC, didn't he say something similar when he lost to Lysacek in a tie before?

People who live in glass towers....