Confirmed rosters Europeans 2014 | Golden Skate

Confirmed rosters Europeans 2014

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
The German team has been unveiled, see here. No surprises here.

Ladies
Nathalie Weinzierl
Sarah Hecken

Men
Peter Liebers
Franz Streubel

Pairs
Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy
Maylin Wende/Daniel Wende
Mari Vartmann/Aaron van Cleave

Ice Dance
Nelli Zhiganshina/Alexander Gazsi
Tanja Kolbe/Stefano Caruso

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
^ No big surprises in your neighbour countries either, but GO Sondre and Isabelle in your first big international senior competition :yay:

Norway
Ladies: Anne Line Gjersem
Men: Sondre Odvoll Bøe

Sweden
Ladies: Viktoria + Joshi Helgesson and Isabelle Olsson
Men: Alexander Majorov and one to be decided… probably Ondrej Spiegl if he is injury free. I 'm not sure if there is another man with the required scores….

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
The Norwegian olympic comitee has stated that Anne Line needs to be top 8 in euros to be be considered good enough to get to go to Sochi, even though she qualified a spot at nebelhorn... and shes been injured lately. So happy for Sondre, hes been in top form all season!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
The second Swedish man is 15 years old Ilya Solomin, the new Swedish Junior Champion. I didn't think he had the required scores, or maybe he will compete somewhere before Euros. Congrats, how exciting it must be for him.

His SP from 3.12.45
His FS from 5.00.10

The Norwegian olympic comitee has stated that Anne Line needs to be top 8 in euros to be be considered good enough to get to go to Sochi, even though she qualified a spot at nebelhorn

Oh no, that's hard on her :(

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I can't believe the stupidity of having someone qualify the first spot for your country in fifty years and then leaving her at home. Send Anne Line to Sochi!

The second Swedish man is 15 years old Ilya Solomin, the new Swedish Junior Champion. I didn't think he had the required scores, or maybe he will compete somewhere before Euros. Congrats, how exciting it must be for him.
I checked and he has the minimums from Ice Challenge Graz. Ilya should be good to go for Euros.

The Norwegian olympic comitee has stated that Anne Line needs to be top 8 in euros to be be considered good enough to get to go to Sochi, even though she qualified a spot at nebelhorn... and shes been injured lately. So happy for Sondre, hes been in top form all season!

Her chances of making the top 8 are sadly pretty much none. Her spot will go to Januleviciute who hasn't had a good season so far (he only good performance was at Nebelhorn IIRC).

He got both the SP and FS TES at 2013 Ice Challenge (competing in Junior Men).

I can't believe the stupidity of having someone qualify the first spot for your country in fifty years and then leaving her at home. Send Anne Line to Sochi!

Sadly more skaters might meet this fate. Hendrickx needs to be top 12.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Sadly more skaters might meet this fate. Hendrickx needs to be top 12.
That's far more achievable for him than a top 8 for Gjersem. And it just seems even more galling when qualifying an Olympic spot is such a breakthrough for a country and a skater.

BTW, no shenanigans this time from the Israeli Olympic committee. Davidovich/Krasnapolski and Bychenko have been confirmed for the Olympic team.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Yeah, we should write to the Norwegian olympic committé and tell them how stupid they are :bang: Reminds me of Sweden being stupid not sending Kristoffer Berntsson to Salt Lake City 2002. Athletes work hard and for some it takes time and expierence to succed.

I checked and he has the minimums from Ice Challenge Graz. Ilya should be good to go for Euros.

Cool, I'm so happy for him... one for the future. Are the required tech scores 25 and 36?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
That's far more achievable for him than a top 8 for Gjersem. And it just seems even more galling when qualifying an Olympic spot is such a breakthrough for a country and a skater.

BTW, no shenanigans this time from the Israeli Olympic committee. Davidovich/Krasnapolski and Bychenko have been confirmed for the Olympic team.

Exactly! Norway should be celebrating and pushing Anne Line. WOW to have a top athlete at olympics in another winter sport. I wish Norwegians shouldn't must have skis under their feet to be appriciated :laugh:

Good for the Israeli team :)

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't even understand... Why wouldn't they send her? I can't even seem to frame the question coherently... I'm speechless. Stupidity has this effect on me. I'm just left asking: Why?

Given the crap Katz went through, I wonder what changed their minds this time.

Cool, I'm so happy for him... one for the future. Are the required tech scores 25 and 36?

25 for the SP and 45 for the FS.

I don't even understand... Why wouldn't they send her? I can't even seem to frame the question coherently... I'm speechless. Stupidity has this effect on me. I'm just left asking: Why?

If every country followed the 'we won't send you unless you can challenge for the medals' policy, we'd end up with less than 10 skaters taking part in Olympics...

LRK

Record Breaker
I know! I mean, I wonder if the ladies who end up 9-10th at Euros - for example - realise just what a disgrace to figure skating they are... according to the exalted standards of the Norwegian fed? And that if they go to Sochi they will bring shame and ignominy, not only on themselves - which may not matter - but also onto their Nations? (shakes head) It's just so silly.. Which may not matter so much, except real people - like Anne Line - get hurt.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Given the crap Katz went through, I wonder what changed their minds this time.
Katz only qualified as an alternate at Nebelhorn, so maybe that had something to do with it - she got in because Georgia didn't need two spots, but her best season was 2006-7 so the Euros standard she was set was just too much. Bychenko had to be one of the top three qualifiers at NT and he was the first, so he was in no matter what. I'm not sure what D/K's standard was, but I guess what they did was good enough. They're looking pretty good for a pair who's been together for less than a year.

Bea

On the Ice
The Hungarian team:

Men - Kristóf Forgó
Ice dance - Dóra Turóczi / Balázs Major

Although Márton Markó became the national champion this season, Kristóf Forgó will go to Euros. He was ill at nationals according to the federation.

So the decision to send Forgó was based on his previous results being better than Markó's?

Bea

On the Ice
So the decision to send Forgó was based on his previous results being better than Markó's?

The most important reason has to be that (as far as I know) Markó doesn't have the minimum TES scores while Forgó does. But probably what you said is also one of the reasons for it.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway

We cant understand it either... i guess they dont want her ro place last, which shouldt matter since norway hasent had a lady in the olympics since the 60,s. Anne Lines coach have been talking a lot to the comitee and explaining the high level in skating so now they dont require any placements but they have said that she needs to deliever at europeans to be sent, if she bombs at euros shes out... pressure is on her like crazy and shes been getting a lot of media attention in norway. Shes currently training for euros in sweden

We cant understand it either... i guess they dont want her ro place last, which shouldt matter since norway hasent had a lady in the olympics since the 60,s. Anne Lines coach have been talking a lot to the comitee and explaining the high level in skating so now they dont require any placements but they have said that she needs to deliever at europeans to be sent, if she bombs at euros shes out... pressure is on her like crazy and shes been getting a lot of media attention in norway. Shes currently training for euros in sweden

Thank you for the update. It's great news. Whilst I think that requiring top 8 - especially in that context - is crazy, I think it's fair to expect a skater to perform to a reasonable level in order to go to the Olympics. And by that I mean, perform most of the elements they are capable of and not bomb. The pressure on her will be very high but that's part of sport. I hope she can deliver.