Boston sightseeing | Golden Skate

Boston sightseeing

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The main reason I attend Nationals is to see the skating ;). Over the years I realized that visiting each of the cities hosting Nationals might be the only opportunity I have to see the sights of the area. I've been to Mall of America in Minneapolis, the CNN Center in Atlanta, St. Louis Arch in St. Louis, etc. Boston has so many sights that it is staggering. I mean, golly I do want to see the skating, and there are just so many places to explore.

Here's how I think I'm going to see the sights! Boston offers trolley tours where you can get off and back on at many different places. The driver gives you a running narrative about the area and places you will be visiting. If the weather is awful, I may just ride around for the 2+ hours and listen to the commentary. The areas that most interest me are Paul Revere's home, Old North Church - the historical stuff. From what I've read the streets are very narrow, so the trolleys don't take you right up to the door - there is a certain amount of walking involved - but it isn't a lot of walking.

Anyway, if you think you might enjoy this kind of thing look up Boston trolleys - there are quite a few companies. The one I will probably use is Old Town Trolley because they are supposed to be heated and seem to have the biggest fleet so you don't wait as long to hop back on if you've gotten off to see something.

Just throwing this out for anyone interested. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'd join you if I were going to Nats! Sounds like fun (Anchorage, Alaska has a similar trolly in the summer time. Historic tours on trollies are a blast!)

Everettguy

Rinkside
I hope you have a great time while in Boston! You're right, there's much to do - especially in summer. Some other ideas include: Museum of Science / Omni Theater, USS Constitution, Boston Tea Party museum, Trinity Church tour, Isabella Stewart Gardner museum, John Hancock or Prudential Tower roof deck, Faneuil Hall, Duck Tours are fun, The Mapparium, Tour of Fenway Park, shopping along Newbury St, The North End for Italian food and a stop at Mike's Pastry or Modern Pastry is a must, the outside ice skating rink in Boston Common across from the State House, Cheers, etc. There's a new tour based on the Amazing Race and a scavenger hunt but probably better in the Summer. I highly recommend smartdestinations.com and getting a GoBoston pass. You can download it right to your phone instead of paper tickets. There's many other things such as the Freedom Trail walk, Sam Adams brewery tour, etc. Too bad Nationals aren't held in Spring though lol, so many things to do here!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks Everettguy for the additional ideas! You have no idea how many times I've wished Nationals wasn't in the winter :laugh:

Friends keep asking me about what I'm planning on seeing, honestly, a lot just depends on the weather.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Right. And time. If the weather is nasty, I will cancel a trip to see the USS Constitution.... There is so much that goes on at Nats besides practice and comps, like dinners with friends, that it is hard to make plans....sensorary/stimulas overload...Anymore at nats I get so tired due to the stimulation that a nap happens....
Thanks Everettguy for the additional ideas! You have no idea how many times I've wished Nationals wasn't in the winter :laugh:

Friends keep asking me about what I'm planning on seeing, honestly, a lot just depends on the weather.

Everettguy

Rinkside
Good luck with your trip and I hope you're able to do a little sightseeing. But it can be tough with skating, meeting up with friends, weather, etc. Maybe another trip to Boston at a later date for seeing the city! Have fun!