NBCSN to show Olympic Figure Skating LIVE on TV | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NBCSN to show Olympic Figure Skating LIVE on TV

Tesla

Final Flight
I'm housesitting and they have dish network and unless I'm missing it I have not seen the NBCSports channel... they DO have universal sports (only one channel, they don't have multiple channels), though.

I believe it's channel 159. We had it but we dropped down our package and don't have it anymore.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I believe it's channel 159. We had it but we dropped down our package and don't have it anymore.

Plugged that in to check and didn't see it pop up - so the folks I'm sitting for must not have it either... It's automatic with the package we have with DirecTV, though. (Unfortunately Universal Sports is not. :no: )

emma

Record Breaker

On my Dish, 159 is NBCSP (the P is the part that I'm concerned about). the channel seems to be called NBC Sports....but I'm just worried that NBCSN might be a different one. I still haven't called to check...On my Dish, the Universal channel I have is around 400 (maybe 401 or 402).

socksthecat

Rinkside
Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean that unless you are a cable subscriber you can't watch the Olympics?

Allow me to clarify: I am in Mexico. I do not have cable, but I doubt very much that Mexican cable would be broadcasting figure skating anyway (although I will look into it...was never interested in cable before). So is there ANY WAY that I will be able to view the Olympics?

sk8ing mom

Rinkside
Yes - channel 159 on Dish Network is NBC Sports Network. It is included with their America's Top 250 and America's "Everything" packages. Unfortunately it is neither included with the main package we have (America's Top 200) nor with their Multi-Sport Pack (which we got just to get Universal Sports).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean that unless you are a cable subscriber you can't watch the Olympics?

Allow me to clarify: I am in Mexico. I do not have cable, but I doubt very much that Mexican cable would be broadcasting figure skating anyway (although I will look into it...was never interested in cable before). So is there ANY WAY that I will be able to view the Olympics?

if you have NBC you will still get the Olympics. you do not need to have cable, at least not in the USA. I'm not sure about Mexico's coverage.

socksthecat

Rinkside
Thanks, Tonichelle. I pick up American NBC through an antenna because I live literally within a few miles of the US. I have greatly enjoyed watching the Grand Prix series this way. So I was distressed when I saw this thread, thinking that I would miss seeing the Olympics since it won't be possible for me to get this new "NBCSN" channel in my country. I found during the last Olympics that I was also blocked online from viewing many Universal Sports videos. I often get the message, "This content is not available in your country." :scratch:

If Icenetwork.com would allow me to subscribe, I would gladly pay the fee. I can't understand why only people in the US can use their streaming services.

I saw on the ISU Forum that someone mentioned TVTeka; however, it seems that the broadcast will be during the day when I'm at work. Does anyone know whether or not any of the Olympic coverage will be available on Youtube later on?

Salchow

Spectator
Hello everyone! :yay:

I'm new here and I was wondering if NBC sports network will be showing sochi figure skating :confused:

Thanks a lot!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hello everyone! :yay:

I'm new here and I was wondering if NBC sports network will be showing sochi figure skating :confused:

Thanks a lot!

Isn't that what this thread is answering? (in any case, yes it will be.)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Slingbox works very well. It also works on your tablet :) - again, provided you have wifi that is streaming quality.

And if you have a smart tv, and your tablet has the ability to push to it, the slingbox stuff can be shown on your tv :)

If you have a dumb tv with an hdmi input port, and a tablet with an output port, you can also display your slingbox stuff on your tv.

If you have a dumb tv and a tablet with no output port, but it does have the ability to connect to a smart tv, you can buy a Netgear push2tv, and again, this works.

this stuff is getting better over time :)

gottadance

On the Ice
it is shown on NBC itself on Thursdya night - so not live but at least we can see it and of course it is live on nbcsports.com
One little caveat:
NBCSN will not be showing the first day of team skating competition (which takes place the day before the opening ceremony).
So team/pairs SP and team/men's SP will not be shown.
Official NBC press release:

ETA, as for odd hours, not so much :) (excerpt below is from the press release).

Following is a breakdown of NBCSN’s figure skating coverage:

Date Time (ET) Event/Program
  • Sat., Feb. 8 9:30 a.m. Team Event: Ice Dancing Short, Ladies’ Short, Pairs’ Free
  • Sun., Feb. 9 10 a.m. Team Event: Men’s Free, Ice Dancing Free, Ladies’ Free
  • Tues., Feb. 11 10 a.m. Pairs Short
  • Wed., Feb. 12 10:45 a.m. Pairs Free
  • Thurs., Feb. 13 10 a.m. Men’s Short
  • Fri., Feb. 14 10 a.m. Men’s Free
  • Sun., Feb. 16 10 a.m. Ice Dancing Short
  • Mon., Feb. 17 10 a.m. Ice Dancing Free
  • Wed., Feb. 19 10 a.m. Ladies’ Short
  • Thurs., Feb. 20 10 a.m. Ladies’ Free

ice coverage

Record Breaker
it is shown on NBC itself on Thursdya night - so not live but at least we can see it and of course it is live on nbcsports.com

Yup -- although you mean NBCOlympics.com.

Lest you wonder, the background/context for the post that you quoted:
When the OP started this thread on Dec 17, the original title was: "NBCSN to show COMPLETE Olympic Figure Skating LIVE on TV."
The post of mine that you quoted above also was from Dec 17 -- and one of its purposes was to politely correct the misperception (re "complete" skating) in the original thread title.
Unfortunately, the misperception has persisted. Tonight (Feb 1), someone started a thread in Olympics subforum asking why NBCSN had no Thursday listing.

waxel

Final Flight
To other NBCSN viewers:

I guess this is unprecedented having ALL skating programs covered on-air?! Luckily DISH has Universal Sports and NBCSN - but yes, it costs dearly.

This may seem an ignorant question, and I'm not even completely sure how to word it, but I am wondering how you plan to watch? Do you plan to watch all the programs on NBCSN? Or watch some on NBCSN and then switch to the NBC pre-packaged telecast?

I assume you could watch it all on NBCSN and know who wins SP, LP and the medals. I'm just wondering if doing so might not be as exciting as watching the NBC show with all the bells and whistles? Naturally prime time will likely air only the final flight (or final two at most). As of now, I'm going to watch Saturday on NBCSN then also watch the prime time telecast and see what I like better. Maybe a mix of both?

Again, I know this may be a bizarre question, but I'm wondering if anyone else has thought about it??

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To other NBCSN viewers:

I guess this is unprecedented having ALL skating programs covered on-air?! Luckily DISH has Universal Sports and NBCSN - but yes, it costs dearly.

This may seem an ignorant question, and I'm not even completely sure how to word it, but I am wondering how you plan to watch? Do you plan to watch all the programs on NBCSN? Or watch some on NBCSN and then switch to the NBC pre-packaged telecast?

I assume you could watch it all on NBCSN and know who wins SP, LP and the medals. I'm just wondering if doing so might not be as exciting as watching the NBC show with all the bells and whistles? Naturally prime time will likely air only the final flight (or final two at most). As of now, I'm going to watch Saturday on NBCSN then also watch the prime time telecast and see what I like better. Maybe a mix of both?

Again, I know this may be a bizarre question, but I'm wondering if anyone else has thought about it??

I'm gonna watch it live and on prime time. I don't think that will be enough so I'll probably have to watch all the performances on YouTube in between and for days following. I've already put in at work for the 19th and 20th off so I'll have more than enough time! Feel free to judge me.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm gonna watch it live and on prime time. I don't think that will be enough so I'll probably have to watch all the performances on YouTube in between and for days following. I've already put in at work for the 19th and 20th off so I'll have more than enough time! Feel free to judge me.

Definitely not judging. ;) In fact, your intention not to miss a thing makes me smile :) ... so if you are not already aware of the online show below, it might interest you. (The excerpted post below is from the US commentators thread.)

OLYMPIC ICE: Olympic Ice, a studio show available on NBCOlympics.com and NBC Sports Live Extra, will offer verified viewers a comprehensive review of all the figure skating news and highlights taking place each day during the Sochi Games. It will air at 5:30 p.m. ET on most days, from February 7-21. Russ Thaler will host the 30-minute show, and will be joined by analyst and 2002 Olympic gold medal-winning figure skater Sarah Hughes.

slushy

Spectator
Long time member & lurker. I'm shy I guess. For anyone with DirectTV, it's channel 220. So excited to know I have this channel and can watch in HD, unlike Universal Sports. And I plan to watch both, live & prime time!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I even got Saturday morning off from work so i can see all the competition. Now i just need to figure out how to get off work early Sunday morning. :think:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I got my lovely dad to give me access to his DirecTV account.....so I can watch the internet streaming on my iPad and on my computer. YAY!

That said, I still love watching prime time coverage....there's always something interesting. And it's a chance to watch sports I might not be interested in watching in real time.

The timing couldn't be better for some events. I can actually catch some of it before work and during lunch..