Who Competes in the Team Event at the Olympics? | Golden Skate

Who Competes in the Team Event at the Olympics?

fdhfgh

Spectator
Specifically, I'm wondering if the team members must also be competing in the Individual Men's Event, Women's event etc, or if it is possible for example, for the US to send 3 men to Sochi and use, let's say, Jeremy Abbott for the Team and Max and Jason Brown for the Men's Individual? This would be kind of great because it would give more skaters an opportunity to be Olympians, but maybe it's not possible?? Additionally, if only 2 US men go, does the 1 who competes for the Team have to be the higher ranked US man (ie our National Champion) or is the US free to name the #2 man as their Team competitor?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Specifically, I'm wondering if the team members must also be competing in the Individual Men's Event, Women's event etc, or if it is possible for example, for the US to send 3 men to Sochi and use, let's say, Jeremy Abbott for the Team and Max and Jason Brown for the Men's Individual? This would be kind of great because it would give more skaters an opportunity to be Olympians, but maybe it's not possible?? Additionally, if only 2 US men go, does the 1 who competes for the Team have to be the higher ranked US man (ie our National Champion) or is the US free to name the #2 man as their Team competitor?

Yes. The only countries that can send skaters not competing in the individual events are great britain and japan. Under the rules about additional quotas, if a country has a representative/representatives for a discipline in the individual event and their nation qualifies for the team event, they must be the person/couple who compete.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
To add to that, there is no restriction on ranking. For example, were the US to send Max and Jason, Jason would be allowed to skate the SP even though he is lower ranked than Max. Ranking doesn't have anything to do with it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

In other words, it is NOT possible for the U.S. to send an extra man to Sochi who would compete only in the team event.
Because the U.S. qualified for only two men's slots in the individual competition, the U.S. is not allowed to enter anyone other than those two men in the team competition.

rvi5

On the Ice
...Specifically, I'm wondering if the team members must also be competing in the Individual Men's Event, Women's event etc

If that were possible, Canada could have sent Joannie Rochette for the team event. Joannie publicly stated her interest in participating, but didn't want to compete in individuals.

lcd

Match Penalty
The event which seems likely to see some switching as far as short and long program would seem to be pairs, as that "individual" medal competition is the closest in terms of timing to the team event.

The Germans S/S have already stated that they will not compete in the Team event. Germany qualified 2 pairs teams for the Olympics, so Germany 2 (Wendes) will compete the team event.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
The Germans S/S have already stated that they will not compete in the Team event. Germany qualified 2 pairs teams for the Olympics, so Germany 2 (Wendes) will compete the team event.

In my opinion a :disagree: for Savchenko/Scolkowy. Maybe because she is from Ukraine and not feels much like a German. Probably just skating for themselves, but still, she's been given a German citizenship to be able to reach her goals.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Welcome to Golden Skate, fdhfgh! Post long & often.