Brian Boitano announces he's gay before trip to Sochi | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Brian Boitano announces he's gay before trip to Sochi

ForeverFish

Medalist
In the spirit of the upcoming US Nationals, a throwback to Ashley Wagner's vocal support of the LGBT community
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...gracie-gold-agnes-zawadzki-u-s-figure-skating

I think it's wonderful that so many current and former US athletes are banding together for the sake of equality (as they say in schools ... liberty and justice for all). My respect for Ashley increased tenfold after her decision to publicly stand up for her beliefs, and to do it in such a classy way. The girl's got chutzpah.

Brian Boitano was just on NBC nightly news with Brain Williams, in a feature about the Russian laws. The footage from Russia showed people getting beat up and was generally critical of the anti-gay laws heading into the Olympics.

RABID

Final Flight
In the spirit of the upcoming US Nationals, a throwback to Ashley Wagner's vocal support of the LGBT community
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...gracie-gold-agnes-zawadzki-u-s-figure-skating

I think it's wonderful that so many current and former US athletes are banding together for the sake of equality (as they say in schools ... liberty and justice for all). My respect for Ashley increased tenfold after her decision to publicly stand up for her beliefs, and to do it in such a classy way. The girl's got chutzpah.

Yes, the girl is a real leader; probably the reason the Americans will win in the team event. :)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Brian Boitano was just on NBC nightly news with Brain Williams, in a feature about the Russian laws. The footage from Russia showed people getting beat up and was generally critical of the anti-gay laws heading into the Olympics.
MM, there is a very lively debate as to why Russia has chosen this particular scapegoat (LGBT) at this time. It seems like there are a few alternatives. The traditional scapegoat in Russia has been Jews; however, for all the negative stuff one can say about Putin, he is not an antisemite, and his rule, for what it's worth, hasn't been bad for the Jewish community of Russia. For years, migrants from former USSR republic fit the bill; one opinion as to why this particular hatred is being reigned back a bit (opinion I subscribe to as well) is that it begats too much violence as many of the migrants can certainly stand up for themselves; the correct scapegoat should be adequately obedient. There is, of course, the constant undercurrent of America-bashing, but that is just too far away; I mean sure, punishing the country's orphans through the law of a year ago build up a bit of the warm-and-fuzzy patriotism, but that just fades too darn quick. And then probably someone came up with the brilliant idea of using LGBT community of the scapegoat. Whoever came up with that was a real genius, if you ask me! Most people in Russia don't know may gays, so they're easy to demonize; as a community, they also tend to be not-too-aggressive, so they're relatively safe to beat up to let the youngsters get blow off the steam. The real irony, of course (sorry if this has already been discussed at length) is that Russian pop culture and pop music uses a lot of the traditionally gay attributes and no one seems to find any contradiction in that!

MM, there is a very lively debate as to why Russia has chosen this particular scapegoat (LGBT) at this time. It seems like there are a few alternatives. The traditional scapegoat in Russia has been Jews; however, for all the negative stuff one can say about Putin, he is not an antisemite, and his rule, for what it's worth, hasn't been bad for the Jewish community of Russia. For years, migrants from former USSR republic fit the bill; one opinion as to why this particular hatred is being reigned back a bit (opinion I subscribe to as well) is that it begats too much violence as many of the migrants can certainly stand up for themselves; the correct scapegoat should be adequately obedient. There is, of course, the constant undercurrent of America-bashing, but that is just too far away; I mean sure, punishing the country's orphans through the law of a year ago build up a bit of the warm-and-fuzzy patriotism, but that just fades too darn quick. And then probably someone came up with the brilliant idea of using LGBT community of the scapegoat. Whoever came up with that was a real genius, if you ask me! Most people in Russia don't know may gays, so they're easy to demonize; as a community, they also tend to be not-too-aggressive, so they're relatively safe to beat up to let the youngsters get blow off the steam. The real irony, of course (sorry if this has already been discussed at length) is that Russian pop culture and pop music uses a lot of the traditionally gay attributes and no one seems to find any contradiction in that!

A very interesting analysis of the situation, Ptichka. It sounds logical to me. And welcome back to active posting! Hope you continue; we've missed you.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ptichka! I'm so glad to see you back! (Even if it's only for a short visit) Did you get to any of the US Nationals events?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Thank you guys! :)
Doris, I got to see pairs and ice dance. I think that gave an energy for a whole week!
BTW - happy Old New Year - today is the New Year by the Julian calendar, still used by the Russian Orthodox church. "Old New Year" as it is known in Russia :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So did I. Both pairs & dance were :love: :clap: :party: although I am sad for the teams whose dreams got crushed.