Note to sk8ter1964 | Golden Skate

Note to sk8ter1964

C

Cinderella On Ice

Note to sk8ter1964

I hope it's o.k. to start a new topic just for you, but I wanted to be sure you saw this. CONGRATS on your awesome performance at Adult Nationals! It was great to hear that you skated clean, and you've inspired me to work harder on trying to get to Nationals next year. Sounds like you had a great performance AND a great time.

Glad the injury didn't set you back and thanks for the input on the Level 3 Gold.

S

sk8er1964

Re: Note to sk8ter1964

My first thought was OMG! What did I do????? :D

Thanks, Cinderella. It was a truly great experience, that I'd recommend for anyone able to go. There were some really inspiring people there - the folks in their 60's and 70's competing against the 55 year old "kids" - the people at all levels who skated with joy - the masters doing double lutzes, double axels and triple jumps - the masters who had few doubles and little chance to win, but who skated for the fun of it anyway - the masters lady who dislocated her shoulder and still finished her program with a beautiful flying camel. All sorts of terrific, inspiring folks at this event.

As for me, my performance was clean and I received one 4th place ordinal at my first ever event in front of national judges. I had a lot of fun, and even getting there after my injury was exciting - who could ask for more? (I gave my physical therapist heartfelt thanks yesterday - I don't know if I'd had made it there without her.) And my coach --- he's simply terrific! He was able to get me in focus when I got a bit rattled at the start of warm-up by the fact that I was even there.

Now that AN is over, though, my axel is back solid, my bauer is back with no problems, my hydroblade is lower, my sit spin is lower, and on and on and on. All things I had trouble with in the weeks before. Amazing.

C

Cinderella On Ice

Re: Note to sk8ter1964

I just reread your previous email where you outlined the elements in your program and I have to say WOO HOO again because you really pulled off a great performance by skating clean.

Do I remember correctly that you skate Gold Level II? My coach reported back that there was some pretty stiff competition at that level. I think it's one thing to be able to skate well in practices where there is no stress, etc.; but to be able to do well at a national competition, well that's just super. Just the thought of it makes my stomach a little queasy!

My coach also stayed to watch the Level IIIs to let me know what to expect in case I'm able to compete next year. She was encouraging, but I know that I have a TON of work ahead of me to get even close to a competitive level. I understand next year is in Lake Placid. I'm assuming you will go? Maybe we can help each other out throughout the year and then meet in person there?

Who did you travel with? Did you stay for the social event on Saturday and were there other things to do? Is this your first trip to Ann Arbor?

Sorry for all the questions, but inquiring minds want to know!

P.S. They need to have a little cheerleader smilie doing cartwheels. Here's the closest I can come. :rollin:

S

sk8er1964

AN

Gold II was very competitive. There were a lot of really good ladies doing multiple doubles. By next year, I hope to be in their league.

I live near A2 so I didn't travel. However, next year going to Lake Placid I expect to travel with at least my Mom to serve as my coach, since I won't be able to afford to take my coach, and I am the only national level adult skater he has. That will be my first time there - I hear it's beautiful. I also plan on volunteering to help out - I worked every day except my competition day at A2 and it was fun meeting so many other competitors. I attended the social night on Saturday, which was a blast, and a clinic by Olympic ice dancer Charlie Butler on Sunday morning. There was a lot to do, especially in A2 which is home to the University of Michigan and therefore has lots going on!

I'm sure we'd meet - I'm on another website and I met several of the members this year at A2, which was great. Adult skaters are a pretty good bunch of folks!