If T & D are The Greatest Ice Dancers of All Time, then... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

If T & D are The Greatest Ice Dancers of All Time, then...

Antilles

Medalist
Dean did do their choreography. I don't know about her being mad at him for working with others, but obviuously there were some kinks in the relationship.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Re: it has to be

Bijoux said:
Bourne and Kraatz. They can do everything.
:rolleye:

TBO, I never really enjoyed T&D. I found them a bit dull, but I guess that's because I'm spoiled by K&P, G&P, A&P, U&Z, etc.

I absolutely deteste the Duschenays for a myriad of reasons. Stating them now would take me too long.

Hmm... My favorites would have to be K&P (I love their Air FD. It's one of those programs where I just watch, and I'm mezmorized). U&Z (I love their 4 seasons FD). A&P (Their R&J FD is probably one of my all time favorites). G&P (I love many of their FDs, St James' Infirmary, Memorial).

Pro, I love B&B's Rasputin.

TV

soogar

Record Breaker
Here's some heresy for you .. I think T&D were overrated. My personal favorites were Usova and Zhulin. However I think that the best ice dancers of all time were Klimova and Ponamerenko... they were reputed to be the best technical ice dancers and they were very pretty to watch. I never got into Gritchuk and Platov but then again, I think that ice dancing has gone downhill ever since they've allowed songs with lyrics. I think that lyrics really cheapen the competition and the programs just don't flow like they used to. Either they're skating to one crappy Scorpions song (L&T) or disco muzak.

thvudragon

On the Ice
soogar said:
Here's some heresy for you .. I think T&D were overrated. My personal favorites were Usova and Zhulin. However I think that the best ice dancers of all time were Klimova and Ponamerenko... they were reputed to be the best technical ice dancers and they were very pretty to watch. I never got into Gritchuk and Platov but then again, I think that ice dancing has gone downhill ever since they've allowed songs with lyrics. I think that lyrics really cheapen the competition and the programs just don't flow like they used to. Either they're skating to one crappy Scorpions song (L&T) or disco muzak.
lol, I don't think Ice Dancing went down because of lyrics, I think it went down when it became itemized. I actually like the Scorpians :\.

TV

soogar

Record Breaker
Once they put an end to the creative programs and banned classical music , the sport died for me. It's really boring to watch now and I think that by limiting the music , they did the sport a great disservice.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Seeing T&D live in Ottawa doing their Paso Doble OSP was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and I am 56. That was 20 years ago. I have seen a lot of skating since, both live and on TV, and nothing else has topped that. I am not kidding. It is impossible to overrate T&D, seen live.

And if you really want to understand how great they were, see whether you can get a tape of their CD's. TD exactly retraced their patterns, closer than some singles skaters did their school figures. Their control was phenomenal.

Second to T&D, I would Pakhamova and Gorshkov. They redefined the sport. Sometime read up on Pakhamova's grave, and you will realize how much effect she had on people. They were amazing. The first time I saw ice dancing, it was P&G skating in the 1st Olympics that had ice dancing, and I have loved them ever since.

Third place is much harder. I would not consider B&B. I disliked their skating then, and dislike it more now, in a very visceral sense, driven by the fact that they so seldom were capable of skating with any fixed relation to the rhythm of the music.

I loved both K&P and U&Z. They were wonderful skaters. But they didn't add anything new to the sport.

D&D were very, very memorable performers. And they did change the face of the sport, but they weren't the greatest skaters. It is unclear how much of what I loved about them was Chris Dean's choreography.

And yes that's just my opinion.

dpp

Antilles

Medalist
Quote:

"Once they put an end to the creative programs and banned classical music , the sport died for me. It's really boring to watch now and I think that by limiting the music , they did the sport a great disservice."

Banned classical music? I disagree. This year alone, D&S and G&P have classical programs. I'm sure there are others in the lower ranks. L&A did bach in 2001, A&P did Beethoven. Those are just the first that come to my head. There is still quite the variety of music. I like lyrics. It hink A&P's Carmina Burana was an amazing program skated to amazing music.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I sure never heard they banned classical music. When did that happen?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
For me, Klimova and Ponomarenko without a doubt. Even though T and D are noteably the "best", K and P are my fav's...........

Don't get me started on Gritshuk & Platov -- they had their moments, but also probably made more blatant mistakes in their programs than any other dance couple on that level. I find their 4-year utter domination to be a bit mystifying and quite frankly rather suspicious.

....Totally agree, Jonny..........42

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
When they required that the music had to have a definite beat, that ruled out a lot of classical music b/c most classical music is melodious and not based on a repitive beat.

Antilles

Medalist
They can get around that though. A&Ps Romeo and Juliet (Prokofiev 98) didn't technically qualify as having a beat. So they added a "heartbeat" sound to the music, and it qualified.

Lcp88

On the Ice
My absolute favorites are Bourne and Kraatz, although I do admit to not having been impressed with their Freedances from 1996/97 and 2001/02. They didn't have enough spark in them.
I never liked all the hype and drama about Usova and Zhulin and Grishuk and Platov. They may have been great dancers, but all the controversy took away from it all.
And also (some of you may want to take a deep breath before reading this :):p ), the more I thought about it, I realized I have never seen T&D. Ever. Any prefromance. I've heard so much about Bolero and how its one of the greatest routines of all time but I've never seen anything clip of it. On a scale of 1 -10, is it really worth downloading?
Laura

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
absolutely, down load it. Better yet, get their paso doble osp, same year, or their blues osp to summertime.

You can get bolero on the winter olympics website.

I'll look and see whether I can find it.

dpp

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
You must see it. It is breathtaking. I have never ever seen a skate that thrilled me so much.

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Torvill and Dean the Greatest Ice Dancers

I don't think there is anyone who can compare or come close to T&D. The rest pail in comparison to the greatest ice dancers of all time.

diamond:)

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
Watching T&D's performances at the 84 Olympics is the reason I started to watch ice dancing. Although I've enjoyed others since, I don't think they would have made me a convert.