Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Ladies | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Ladies

ks777

Record Breaker
I have to work tomorrow so I won't be able to follow the ladies free skate tonight.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Sorry I was half serious. Because they do comment repeatedly that Asada is not sexy-ish and that's the reason she always lose against Kim.

I think every time Yuna beats Mao it's because Yuna wins on TES. Yuna does get higher PCS but because she usually skates better when they go head-to-head.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What is mountain time? do you live on a mountain? There will be relief and agony once the LP is over. There will be the thrill of victory and the agony of not going to Sochi.

Icey

Record Breaker
Huh? Miki skated the best she could in the SP and was still beaten by four other girls, and the gap with Mao is only because Mao UR'ed her triple Axel. It's pretty clear she's not getting on that podium unless the final group in the LP is a splatfest.

None of what you say makes the short programs tes scores go away. That was what I was commenting on, not who will be on the podium. I still find it interesting that Satoko outscored Mao in tes. Probably my fault, but I have never even heard of her.

Icey

Record Breaker
Right?

Since when is a nine-point gap in the SP considered insignificant? I don't see Miki touching Mao in the LP even if Mao makes mistakes.

The conversation I started was about TES Scores, not the total score for the short program.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm on Mountain time and it's 9:26pm. when does the LP start?

What is mountain time? do you live on a mountain? There will be relief and agony once the LP is over. There will be the thrill of victory and the agony of not going to Sochi.

The time zone in the U.S., Skater Boy.

Badknees, the SP will start at 12:15 a.m. your time (MST). The final group won't be on until 3:15 MST.

For those of you living on the E. Coast of the U.S. (EST), the start time is 2:15 a.m.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am sorry but you can't compare Akiko to Michelle.

Artistry and the soul a skater gives the performance is in the eye of the beholder. Akiko for me is the one who reminds me most of Michelle Kwan's passion and genuine heart for the music and performance. Even slightly moreso than Yu Na Kim who would be 2nd of current skaters in that regard (despite that with her career achievments and greatness she would be the more logical one to compare to Kwan than Suzuki).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
None of what you say makes the short programs tes scores go away. That was what I was commenting on, not who will be on the podium. I still find it interesting that Satoko outscored Mao in tes. Probably my fault, but I have never even heard of her.

Satoka did the hardest triple-triple combination of everyone and made it cleanly. That is why her TES was so high.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Artistry and the soul a skater gives the performance is in the eye of the beholder. Akiko for me is the one who reminds me most of Michelle Kwan's passion and genuine heart for the music and performance. Even slightly moreso than Yu Na Kim who would be 2nd of current skaters in that regard (despite that with her career achievments and greatness she would be the more logical one to compare to Kwan than Suzuki).

:thumbsup:

NMURA

Medalist
I predict Suzuki bombs again. The gap with Miyahara is 3.6 points, which is similar to the gap with Radionova at NHK trophy. Radionova's 128 points put huge pressure on Suzuki (skated right after Radionova) and we know the result. If Miyahara skates visibly clean FS (very likely so), she will get the score of 128 or even higher. Miyahara is UR is not so problematic in this competiton, and the judges will be supportive. In fact, Miyahara at Japanese nationals is even more formidable than Radionova at NHK trophy. Last year's nationals, Suzuki bombed badly after Murakami's stellar free skating. Her mental weakness is more than apparent. Murakami can skate after confirming Suzuki's "result". That is a big advantage. We can forget about Ando now.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I kinda feel bad for Miki. To give birth, come back and deliver a clean program consisting of a 3-3 combo and a lutz, it's all pretty amazing and yet might still not be enough to achieve her goal.

You can tell she was disappointed to be behind Miyahara, but Miyahara did outjump her.

Regardless of what happens in the FS, I think Miki can chalk this up to Sasha's comeback where she delivered essentially a clean SP and showed people she still had it. Hopefully it gives her a confidence boost. It's rather apparent that the JSF isn't doing her any favours but she can certainly hold her head high with that SP.

It was beautiful to see her skate with abandon, when she's known as such a technician and wasn't delivering as well as she could earlier this season.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist

I could not agree more. Have you read Dick Button's new book yet? He has great things to say about Yu Na but also he articulates some things many of us on this board have been saying: that Yu Na's artistry as far as passion, heart, and soulfulness go is just not up to the level of a Michelle and that she needs greater toe point, stretch etc and less of a rounded back. He is also somewhat critical of Mao so this isn't about him picking sides in the Yu Na/Mao debate. I was grateful to him for eloquently expressing what many of us feel.