GS meetup! (AKA, who's going?) | Golden Skate

GS meetup! (AKA, who's going?)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ok, I'm sure that all of us we'll get together throughout the competition, but anyone want to do a formal GS meetup?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
We had a pretty darned good one at SA a year and change ago....it was fun. Although it can be tough to coordinate this far out...
Ok, I'm sure that all of us we'll get together throughout the competition, but anyone want to do a formal GS meetup?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
We had a pretty darned good one at SA a year and change ago....it was fun. Although it can be tough to coordinate this far out...

I'm thinking we firm up details the week before...but right now wanting to get a sense of who is interested.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Looks like there are about 6 good restaurants within 300 yards of the arena...but reservations would almost assuredly have to be made....and if you look at the schedule, there aren't many time slots to eat in after Wednesday.
I'm in, provided it's an easy place to get to.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm in but it would have to be thurs or later. I am not flying in till late weds.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm in but it would have to be thurs or later. I am not flying in till late weds.

I'm thrilled that you're going! GS GP Predictions game organizers UNITE! :party: Hehe.

Seriously I look forward to meeting you!

Anyway, that is no problem because my husband I don't fly into Boston until Thursday morning (we're taking a red eye flight Wednesday night).

Looks like there are about 6 good restaurants within 300 yards of the arena...but reservations would almost assuredly have to be made....and if you look at the schedule, there aren't many time slots to eat in after Wednesday.

http://www.boston2014.com/wp-content/uploads/2014USFSChampsMatrixScheduleDraft1.10.pdf

Yeah, you're right, especially if you want to sit in on all the practices.

So here are the options that would enable people to still attend the practices:

Thursday, Jan. 9: 6:15 p.m. until 7:40 (between pairs SP and ladies SP only works if you are willing to miss the opening ceremony)
Friday, Jan. 10: 12:30 p.m. until 1:45 ( betwen junior events/senior short dance)
Sunday, Jan. 12: 11:50 p.m. until 12:50 p.m. (between men's warm up practice and men's FS)
Sunday, Jan 12: 5:15 p.m. to 7 p.m. (between Men's Free Skate and exhibition)

If there is some flexibility regarding practices, a few more options open up. For example, we could opt to do something before the Men's Short program Friday night but that would require missing the ladies practice groups.

Of course I'm always up for informal nightcap after the competition's events are done as well. :)

Anyway, let me know what you guys think and I can get the ball rolling on reservations.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'd like to meet all of you! :) The only time I think will work is after the Mens final and before the exhibition. The crowds at TD Garden will be a lot heavier starting on Thursday. I think getting back into TD Garden before the Ladies SP will probably involve standing in a fairly long line for security. When you figure 15 - 20 minutes to get to the restaurant and then another 15 or so to get back to TD Garden plus perhaps another 10 minutes in line at the door, you won't really have time to order and eat :laugh:

Anyway I'm terrible at this kind of thing and have been known to be wrong from time to time (just ask my husband) :p. Maybe others have better suggestions.

I looked at the TD Garden website and it looks like all the restaurants are membership only...so those are probably out.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I like the way you think. I think we should check out the places Wed or Thur and make our reservation for after the mens on Sunday, but make those reservations by Friday night or we may be out of luck.
(I am 64 so I cant be trusted to such things, BTW :laugh:
I'd like to meet all of you! :) The only time I think will work is after the Mens final and before the exhibition. The crowds at TD Garden will be a lot heavier starting on Thursday. I think getting back into TD Garden before the Ladies SP will probably involve standing in a fairly long line for security. When you figure 15 - 20 minutes to get to the restaurant and then another 15 or so to get back to TD Garden plus perhaps another 10 minutes in line at the door, you won't really have time to order and eat :laugh:

Anyway I'm terrible at this kind of thing and have been known to be wrong from time to time (just ask my husband) :p. Maybe others have better suggestions.

I looked at the TD Garden website and it looks like all the restaurants are membership only...so those are probably out.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I can make the reservation ahead of time! :) I'll look at the options and get back to you guys!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The Harp, McGann's Irish pub, and The Fours, are all OK with me but I am easy....no Thai food, though!:disapp:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The Harp, McGanns and The Fours are all ok with me. I'm not sure what hours The Fours is open so I'll call today and check. We also need to be sure they have a big table to accommodate us. I'm fairly sure we won't fit in a booth :laugh: and we certainly don't want the group divided up between 3 or 4 booths!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I checked out various places for Sunday 1/12/2014 for a party of 10-12 people:

Harp will be open; doesn't take reservations; can accommodate us at 1 table; is ADA compliant; phone 617-742-1010

The Fours will be open; doesn't take reservations; can accommodate us at 1 table; is ADA compliant including elevator to 2nd level; phone 617-720-4455

McGann's Irish Pub will be open; does take reservations; can accommodate us at 1 table; is ADA compliant; phone 617-227-4059

Porters Bar will be open; will take a reservations for after the event (Mens Final) can accommodate us; is ADA compliant; phone 617-742-7678

The nearest restaurant to TD Garden is The Fours then McGanns. Harp and Porters are both about .1 mile from TD Garden.

So, which to choose? All have good and bad reviews depending on which website you look at - yahoo, tripadvisor, yelp, etc. It seemed like Harp had the most complaints, but who knows?

Oh dear! Just realized that there will be football playoff games on Sunday...can't find the times, but that could really complicate eating any place that doesn't offer reservations.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Good work. I like Irish pubs but I am not fussy....so far we are looking at maybe 7-10 souls?
I checked out various places for Sunday 1/12/2014 for a party of 10-12 people:

Harp will be open; doesn't take reservations; can accommodate us at 1 table; is ADA compliant; phone 617-742-1010

The Fours will be open; doesn't take reservations; can accommodate us at 1 table; is ADA compliant including elevator to 2nd level; phone 617-720-4455

McGann's Irish Pub will be open; does take reservations; can accommodate us at 1 table; is ADA compliant; phone 617-227-4059

Porters Bar will be open; will take a reservations for after the event (Mens Final) can accommodate us; is ADA compliant; phone 617-742-7678

The nearest restaurant to TD Garden is The Fours then McGanns. Harp and Porters are both about .1 mile from TD Garden.

So, which to choose? All have good and bad reviews depending on which website you look at - yahoo, tripadvisor, yelp, etc. It seemed like Harp had the most complaints, but who knows?

Oh dear! Just realized that there will be football playoff games on Sunday...can't find the times, but that could really complicate eating any place that doesn't offer reservations.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for our work MF! And waxel, looking forward to meeting you. Glad you get to treat yourself! (It's a treat for me too....:) )

So far on the list
MFarone
CoyoteChris
Mrs. P (+1)
Dorispulaski (+1)
waxel

So exactly 7, though I'm sure we'll get others as we get closer.

tuolsai, sadly will be on a plane by the time we meet, but hopefully we'll all get to see her at some point in other informal gatherings. :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Thanks for our work MF! And waxel, looking forward to meeting you. Glad you get to treat yourself! (It's a treat for me too....:) )

So far on the list
MFarone
CoyoteChris
Mrs. P (+1)
Dorispulaski (+1)
waxel

tuolsai, sadly will be on a plane by the time we meet, but hopefully we'll all get to see her at some point in other informal gatherings. :)

Yes, I will be in touch! I hope to meet all of you who are going at least briefly!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, its always fun to see the faces of those we converse with....everyone is busy but it is nice to sniff noses if only for alittle while. Sad to think we may be sitting next to each other at a practice and not know the other person is a GSer. But I respect the desires of others to NOT get dressed up as pumpkins...
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/Reno2013/normal_zps7c605ab8.jpg

So far on the list
MFarone
CoyoteChris
Mrs. P (+1)
Dorispulaski (+1)
waxel