Odds And Ends – The Simple Topic Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Odds And Ends – The Simple Topic Thread

Icey

Record Breaker
Has our team left for Sochi yet? Travel is rather "iffy" these days with delays and cancellations.
But my real question, has there ever been an athlete who got to the olympics too late to compete? I remember Emily had trouble getting out of NY when she was told she was to replace Michelle.

desertskates

Medalist
Has our team left for Sochi yet? Travel is rather "iffy" these days with delays and cancellations.
But my real question, has there ever been an athlete who got to the olympics too late to compete? I remember Emily had trouble getting out of NY when she was told she was to replace Michelle.

I'm not real sure what the whole team is doing, but on the more "visible" ladies front: Gracie is camped out in Germany to de-jetlag early, and Ashley is traveling today.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
i think most of the us figure skating team is leaving on feb 2

Per @USFigureSkating, Abbott and Castelli were in Munich today for "team processing." I think "team" in this case refers to all Team USA athletes from all sports.

Sorry for repeating what I have said elsewhere:
As of last year, USFS planned to set up a base in Graz for its Sochi athletes.
Don't know if that is still true, but I think it could be. Per @LynnRutherford, Denis Ten has been with Gold and Frank Carroll in Oberstdorf, so Gold's prep there might be a Team Carroll thing (as opposed to a Team USA thing).

desertskates

Medalist
Going back to the eyesight issue, it's funny... when I skated I always needed glasses but would refuse to get/wear them, certainly on the ice & while competing. Now... if I ever skated I couldn't imagine doing it WITHOUT my glasses. I skated for the first time in years within the last couple months and it was a cool experience to actually be able to SEE! Contacts aren't for everyone.

I did adult pairs for a bit with a partner who wore glasses on ice. It worked quite well for him (mind you, this was adult level). But for my own personal comfort, I'd switch to contacts. To each their own, you can't skate if you can't see, but if your eyeballs are driving you batty, you can't skate your best either.