Programs for Kirk, Sasha, Michelle 2004-5? | Golden Skate

Programs for Kirk, Sasha, Michelle 2004-5?

Bijoux

Match Penalty
What would you like to see them skate to next year?

I think Jenny could do both her SP and LP from "Cabaret." Great songs for a great mover. There are so many great choices from that musical.

Also, I'd bet Jenny could work well with New York, New York. There are so many versions available.

Ideas for SP's or LP's for Sasha or Michelle?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Well, this is a fun topic.

Jenny - I agree with Bijoux, "Cabaret" would be a great choice.
While I think Jenny does well with anything, I've found I enjoy
her the most to upbeat, jazzy numbers (such as "Chicago").

Sasha - I'd love to see her revamp "Romeo and Juliet" and use it
as a SP or LP in the big events. The music is perfect for her and
she relates so well to it. She skated this number at the Nationals
exhibitions with so much passion and intensity, and these are
two qualities that I find are somewhat missing from her
competitive performances. Maybe using this powerful music
(which she is already comfortable with) would help to open her
up a bit.

Michelle - I honestly don't care. She has made me love music I
would normally hate. If she retains the emotional intensity she's
showcased for the last 2 seasons, I'll be thrilled. But...in my
dream world I've always wanted to see her skate a competitive
number to themes from "The Mission". It is such moving, lyrical
music and would be perfect for her. But, I doubt she'd ever use
it. Karen skated to "The Mission" at the 1996 Nationals I believe.

Fossi

Final Flight
I must be the only one sick of Sasha doing R&J. It's a beautiful exhibition, I get that. But how many times will she have the same music? I hope for something new and exciting.

Michelle needs something new. Something fun.
Jenny Kirk is so versatile she can skate to almost anything.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I think Sasha is getting pigeon-holed into classical programs. She's got the extension and line for this type of program, but I'd like to see some of her natural fire come out in her skating. Maybe something a little bluesy.

I think Jenny needs to stay with the light, upbeat program.

I'd love to see how Michelle skates to the Violin Fantasy on Puccini's Turandot except for the fact that it's overused. So instead, Prokofiev's Piano Concerto #2 - a dynamic piece of music that MK could really sink her skates into.

I would like to see all three do a program to Prokofiev"s R&J. including, the Pas de Deux music. It would be great to see their own interpretations of the music.

As faras R&J movie background music, it's pretty but doesn't have the bite that prokofiev has.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
For SP's,

Brahms' Intermezzo in A Major Op 118 #2, played by Robert Silverman for Kwan. (Glen Gould's interpretation would be a distant second.) It would have to be cut down from it's 6:18, but there are repeats and a section that could be dropped without losing musical continuity. The first two sections of the piece, with the closing repeat of the first section would work.

Glazunov's music for Raymonda's variation that opens with solo piano, and ends with piano and orchestra for Cohen. Worlds '05 are being held in Moscow, after all.

Juan Garcia Esquivel's "Mini Skirt,: arrangement by Golijov, performed by the Kronos Quartet, with the "wows" and the couple of spoken lines at the very end spliced out. If this is too flippant for competition, then it would a great exhibition.

For LP's,

Joshua Bell's recording of a transcription for piano and orchestra of Chopin's Nocturne in C Sharp Minor would be a classic Nikodinov or a beautiful Arakawa piece, but since the question wasn't about them, it would be a bit of a change of (literally) pace for Cohen, even if the music is classical.

I would like to see Kwan bring back "The Miraculous Mandarin" for her LP.

I don't have any ideas for Kirk.

[Edited to add exhibition programs]

For Kwan, Aaron Copland's "Long Time Ago," sung by Susan Chilcott and Charles Ives' "Memories B," sung by Jan deGaetani. Both singers died way too young.

For Cohen, Glinka's song "Doubt," sung by Nadezhda Obukova.

Last edited:

rtureck

Final Flight
Michelle Kwan:

sp: Janacek string quartet #1
Hope she will give an edgy sensual interpretation
long program: Barber violin concerto

exhibition: Laudate Dominum from Vesperae Soleness de confessore K339
This begs for Michelle's strong seamless quiet EDGES

Kirk:

lp: Strauss Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche, Op. 28
This will be a cute piece for Jenny, I bet she will have fun being Till Eulenspiegel

Bijoux

Match Penalty
The Blues

There are many great skaters who could pull this off, someone suggested Michelle needed to try a new style. I did not hear much about her exhibition program from Nationals. She skated to "Fallen" by Alicia Keys. I thought it was lacking. I don't feel she has the versatility that you find with others such as Kirk or Nicole Bobek who skated to that peice very musically and captured the feeling very well.

I'd like to see what Kirk could do with the peice. Of the eligibles, I see only Corwin trying a peice like this. I think Sasha could do justice to that amazing song, but she'd never choose it. Not since her Hernando's hideaway have we seen anything fun. I think she should drop Romeo and Juliet for her exhibition peice, and do Salsa, blues or rock and roll.

Why is Sasha who can do so many moves staying to one type of program? Does anyone think Wagner will get her to try another genre of music besides classical?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
rtureck said:
Michelle Kwan: ...
long program: Barber violin concerto
Which parts? I listened to the piece several times the other night, and I couldn't figure out how to make it into a program, long or short. The second movement adagio is sublime, but I didn't see enough rhythm changes, in it and I'm not sure whether the last movement would drive the people in their seats crazy.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Bijoux,

Interesting about Jenny's versatility and Michelle's lack. I'd say the opposite. I thought Michelle did an AMAZING job with fallen. I'd seen it once before and wasn't impressed. But, at Nats, I thought it was wonderful. To me it showed incredible maturity, feeling for the music, wonderful choreography, and, as I believe that Rgirl put it, that va-va-va-voom factor. None of the little girls skating today could have come close on the whole presentation, IMO.

My feeling about Jenny is that one of the reasons for her breakthrough is that she's found a style of skating that's comfortable for her - light, airy, and fun. When thinking of music for her to skate to, I couldn't see her skating to anything different. I love Jenny, but I don't see her as particularly versatile.

Don't know what Sasha and Robin will come up with. Didn't Sarah almost always skate to classical music? I'd really love to see Sasha try something a bit different.

tharrtell

Littlewild1

Rinkside
I love Jenny's Chicago short program, and I think it really suits her. I'd love to see her have a long program along the same lines next year.

Sasha's working on a new exhibition program. I love R&J to death, but I can't wait to see what she's come up with.

I have to agree with Tharrtell about Michelle's interpretation of Alicia Keyes. BTW, it's "Fallin'," as in

I keep on fallin'
In and out of love
With you
Sometimes I love ya
Sometimes u make me blue
Sometimes I feel good
At times I feel used
Lovin you darlin'
Makes me so confused

I keep on
Fallin'
In and out of love with you
I never loved someone
The way that I love you

Verse 2
Oh, oh , I never felt this way
How do you give me so much pleasure
And cause me so much pain
Just when I think
I've taken more than would a fool
I start fallin' back in love with you

I keep on fallin', etc.

I thought she nailed it. Steamier even than the "menacing sensuality" of The Feeling Begins, but softened with a with an innocent vulnerabilty -- what can I say? I liked it. I thought her performance at Nationals showed a greater depth of artistic maturity than the version that she did on tour with COI last season. Although that was cute, too.

Mathman

Lucy25

Final Flight
I agree, Mathman. I thought Michelle did a great job with Fallin'. That was the first time I had ever seen it. I see her as being very musical.

I have no suggestions for Michelle for programs, but would like to see her pick a piece that suggests a character, and have her interpret the music, not just skate to it.

I am glad Sasha is getting a new exhibition. Very tired of R&J. I think she needs to do something completely different program-wise next year because I have already read "same old, same old" comments about her. She is at the point now where she should show some versatitily.

Jenny has two light hearted programs this year, so she needs more classical programs next year.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I would love to see either Michelle or Sasha skate to something by Debussy...........love his music....

As for skating to a character from a piece of music as opposed to skating "to" the music, it is hard to stay in character, especially when you have jumps to set up for. I remember Irina, really getting into Tosca, selling the program, and gliding into a lutz jump, a very long glide........for me, it detracted from the overall feel. I think, my opinion of course, it is more "eye" appealing to skate to or with the music, to interpret a piece, rather than being a character in a play............42

rtureck

Final Flight
hockeyfan228 said:
Which parts? The second movement adagio is sublime, but I didn't see enough rhythm changes, in it and I'm not sure whether the last movement would drive the people in their seats crazy.

I think there is enough music in the first and third movements for a long program. There is a nice balance of flow and contrast in the first movement. The long melodic lines with a dotted march like rhythm in the background. At minute 5.5 is the perfect place for a Michelle spiral. I am not worry about whether people would be driven off their seats crazy. I want Michelle to skate something nice worthy of a master piece for my video tapes. I lump programs into 3 general categories, the winning programs, the masterpieces and a combination of both. Tara's rainbow program is a winning program, even though I adore her, I don't think it is a masterpiece. Ruh's Gliere harp concerto program, IMO is a master piece, not a winning program, but it touches my heart. Lulu Rach #2 is a combo of both. Lyra Angelica does not have a lot of variation of tempo or rhythm either :)

Of course MK is actively competing, so I guess for winning programs I love to see her skate to Vaughn Williams Job There is enough drama to drive people off their seats. I will choose scene VI, Dance of Job's comforters/ Job's vision, and the epilogue.

Quoting the liner notes:

The endurance of faith over affliction, "this drama of heaven and hell" (Richard Capell), Job divides into nine heavily-mimed scenes, scored for forces including saxophone, organ and a large percussion battery.

Scene I Introduction Pastoral Dance Satan's Appeal to God –Saraband of the Sons of God - Largo sostenuto allegro piacevole .

Scene II Satan's Dance of Triumph - Presto con fuoco moderato alla marcia presto

Scene III Minuet of the Sons of Job and Their Wives -Andante con moto

Scene IV Job's Dream. Dance of Plague, Pestilence, Famine and Battle- Lento moderato allegro

Scene V Dance of the Messengers -Lento andante con moto lento

Scene VI Dance of Job's Comforters. Job's Curse. A Vision of Satan -Andante doloroso?poco pimosso ancora pimosso "Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth". Satan introduces in turn Job's three Comforters (three wily hypocrites [Blake's supposition]). Their dance is at first one of pretended sympathy, but develops into anger and reproach. Job stands and curses God. "Let the day perish wherein I was born". Heaven gradually becomes visible, showing mysterious veiled, sinister figures moving in a sort of parody of the Sons of God in Scene I. Heaven is now lit up. The figures throw off their veils and display themselves as Satan enthroned, surrounded by the hosts of Hell. Satan stands. Job and his friends cower in terror. The vision gradually disappears. (In Keynes's scenario, Scenes V and VI were originally linked as one.)

Scene VII Elihu's Dance of Youth and Beauty. Pavane of the Sons of the Morning Andante tranquillo (

Scene VIII Galliard of the Sons of Morning. Altar Dance and Heavenly Pavane (Andante con moto ?allegro pesante ?allegretto tranquillo ?lento).

Scene IX Epilogue (Largo sostenuto). "So the Lord blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning". Job, an old and humbled man, sits with his wife. His friends come up one by one and give him presents. Job stands and gazes on the distant cornfields. Job's three daughters enter and sit at his feet. He stands and blesses them.

Another winning program possibility for Michelle's long program is Barber's Medea's meditation and Vengeance, or the Medea's suite.

Last edited:

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Sasha's R&J

Didn't Sasha use this at the Canadian Open in December 2002? I saw it listed as her LP on old notes on competitors on the goldenskate general page. I personally loved Hernando's Hideaway as an exhibition and feel that R&J would be a better competitive program. As for Michelle, something along the lines of last year's cuts of music, rather than warhorses; I think that as successful as she is selling programs and making them her own at this point of her career, it's nice to have a piece of music that you associate only with her rather than inviting comparisons. Although I heard somewhere that Oksana skated to The Feeling Begins in themid 90s, not sure. Also, what was the Red Violin program Michelle did years ago? I read somewhere that Aranjuez was also called The Red Violin...confused I am, indeed!:laugh: Jenny Kirk, as nice a young woman as she is, as much of a fighter as she's proven to be, I just can't get worked up about, nothing against her personally, her skating just doesn't move me, strikes me as too frail. Maybe she can put her old ballet experience to use in a "swan lake" or something, though that music has been extremely overused by US ladies, and skaters ingeneral, of late. Maybe R&J would work for her as well, the movie music Sasha used, I mean.

Sarah

Sarahmistral = Very interesting and astute post. I agree Sasha's Hernando Hideaway was a gem and I also think her musical version of Swan Lake is a good competitite piece. There is little of the lake scene in it and more of the ballroom scene. I'd love to see B&S skate to that music or even S&Z, it is definitely a pair piece. I think though, Sasha is one for warhorses.

Michelle, generally is not into warhorses. Can't understand why she went along with Tosca. Although she did a good job to it at the Nats, I would have expected something more unusual from Michelle. Her Miraculous Manderin (Bartok) is a very modern piece which she did in the GP days. It was not well rehearsed but it gave a glimpse of the maturing Michelle which I really went for. At her present age, I think she could do a mind blowing skate to Miraculous Manderin, but I'm not sure the fans would go for some off beat music

Jenny Kirk - for me, is the perrennial bubbly skater like Tara and Oksana. Bouncing around to the music in assorted poses is her style. Die Fledermaus is the right champagne music for her. even her SP is bubbly. She might experiment at some point with say a Rach and see if she can have a more rounded style.

You'll excuse me, I hope, for being so opinionated but watching bodies flow over stages and ice to music has always been special to me. I could do a number on the boys, too.

Joe

sarahmistral

On the Ice
thanks, Joe...I for one would love to hear ("read") you do a number on the boys; I think some of them could use it. ITA on warhorses for Sasha--BOY is Malaguena overused, boy am I sick of it
(while on vacation, I was watching some mid 90's worlds ladies SP & LP, and my mother, whom I can seldom force into sitting still long enough to get her to watch any of my favorite skating routines, remarked of Maria Butyrskaya, oh, she always skates to Malaguena:laugh:)
and I could watch her (Sasha's) rendition of it at Nats (and did, as a matter of fact) again and again and again!

About Michelle, as a person as devoted to music as you are to flowing movement across stages and ice, I got to thinking how cool it is to be introduced to interesting new music by great programs; conversely, I'd give anything for any of my favorite skaters to skate to the soundtrack from the movie "The Piano", but that's just me:)

Sarah

Also, what was the Red Violin program Michelle did years ago? I read somewhere that Aranjuez was also called The Red Violin...
IIRC The Red Violin (the movie) was released in 1998 in Canada. I don't know whether Lori Nichol had access to the soundtrack before the movie was released or not. Anyway, as far as I know the first time Michelle performed the Red Violin it was at the 1999 Worlds exhibition. This was one of the the greatest performances of her career, in my opinion. It was a preview for her 1999-2000 long program.

I think the Aranjuez program also had some (different) music from the Red Violin soundtrack, performed by Joshua Bell, mixed in with the guitar music.
Michelle, generally is not into warhorses. Can't understand why she went along with Tosca.
About Michelle, as a person as devoted to music as you (Joe) are to flowing movement across stages and ice, I got to thinking how cool it is to be introduced to interesting new music by great programs.
ITA, Sarah. I loved the programs that Lori Nichol (the nicest person on ice, BTW) designed for Michelle, for exactly that reason. Lyra Angelica (harp concerto), for instance, is a work that I never would have heard of except for Lori and Michelle. I have read that sometimes Lori had to talk Michelle into using the unusual music that Lori found.

In a recent interview Michelle indicated that she relies a lot on the choreographer to choose the music for her competitive programs. That is, the music and the program tend to come as a package, rather than Michelle picking the music first and then consulting the choreographer to help her make a program out of it.

I thought that both the Red Violin and the Song of the Black Swan were programs where the performance was everything. When Michelle hit those triple-triples the way she did at Worlds in both 2000 and 2001, it made the music sound wonderful. When she was off, the music sounded dark and dreary. Probably the same thing with Tosca.

Mathman

Last edited:

Matt

On the Ice
I don't know if anyone has skated to it before (probably so), but I would love to see any one of them skate to "Pavane" by Gabriel Fauré. It's one of my favourite pieces of classical music. It's light enough IMHO to work for Jenny and even Michelle. It's would be too much of the same for Sasha

My thoughts:

Kwan: She needs something haunting and immensely beautiful. I say anything by Chopin (Nocturne in E Flat Minor) or Einaudi (a little known modern Italian composer for piano). She has a good record with movie soundtracks, so I might go for something from the "Cold Mountain" soundtrack; really haunting bluegrassy music.

Sasha: Piazzola. She's got that dynamic quality that makes me wonder why she hasn't skated to his music before.

Kirk: Incidental music from Broadway shows. I'd say more toward the Rodgers and Hammerstein era (or even the music from "Seven Brides...")

And finally, a thought. We know Jenny has skated to "Chicago". I'm curious...what about Emanuel Sandhu?