Nobunari Oda Withdraws from 4CC and announces his retirement during MOI | Golden Skate

Nobunari Oda Withdraws from 4CC and announces his retirement during MOI

rocketry

Rinkside
Nobunari Oda Withdraws from 4CC and announces his retirement during MOI

He won't compete at 4CC "to give the younger skaters a chance at the 4CC."

We all knew he planned to retire, but I would've liked to see him at 4CC.

Becki

Medalist
First Miki, now Nobunari :'(

At least Miki was a 2X WC...Nobunari deserves at least one World Medal =(

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There seem to be two threads, can we blend, mods?!

That said, I think Nobunari saw the writing on the wall. He probably knows (or got the indication) that even getting a spot for Worlds was a stretch, so better to retire on a high note and provide an opportunity for someone else.

Also consider the fact that Mura totally got NOTHING and passed over for a skater who finished below him for 4CC, so it is nice that he got this opportunity.

Even without a world medal, Oda has achieved plenty in his career and he certainly made a great run of it this year, earning a personal best in the FS and medaling at all his GP events.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I was so unprepared for his announcement ;_;

It's all the more poignant now, to watch his magnificent Gala exhibition, and understand his tears and emotion.

What a sad loss for the skating world.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Classy guy, that Nobunari.

Now for something cute...

http://eggplantgifs.tumblr.com/post/70416830202/more-oda-babies-x

He's such a doting father! :)

Back when he was 19, he talked about his dream of having a family. He is now choosing to cherish that dream. He will continue to be happy.

Seeing his little one's moves and the warm relationship with the charming loving dad, I hope the name Oda will be prominent again in the skating world in a dozen years from now.