Men FS - 2014 Russian Championships | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Men FS - 2014 Russian Championships

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If Plushenko indeed said that he 'chooses' the team event and he 'gives' the individual competition to Kovtun, then his arrogance is just ugly.

There is no doubt that Plushenko is one of the most accomplished Russian skaters in recent years. But Kovtun did skate better at Nationals and he did earn his Olympic spot fair and square. It's not Plushenko's to graciously give up...

He's essentially admitting to going against the rules by saying he will compete in team and Kovtun in individual when Russia has only qualified 1 skater.

I wonder if Plushenko won here and Kovtun defeated him at Euros if it would have made a difference.

It's really not fair that Kovtun must beat Plushenko twice for the Russian fed to even *consider* him being Russia's sole male spot, whereas if Plushenko beats him in any of the 2 events they would send Plushenko.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Exactly. He is denying Kovtun the opportunity of a possible medal. It's not his spot until the Fed says its his spot. And I don't know how the IOC or ISU will feel about him saying he will "pull out" with an injury 1 month 1/2 before the event starts. For all we know Kovtun may not be around in 4 years, anything can happen so that's not fair to Kovtun at all especially if he earned that trip.

He's essentially admitting to going against the rules by saying he will compete in team and Kovtun in individual when Russia has only qualified 1 skater.

I wonder if Plushenko won here and Kovtun defeated him at Euros if it would have made a difference.

It's really not fair that Kovtun must beat Plushenko twice for the Russian fed to even *consider* him being Russia's sole male spot, whereas if Plushenko beats him in any of the 2 events they would send Plushenko.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Kovtun's personality. But this tweet suggests to me that he is no shrinking violet, and will do his best to demand fair treatment from the federation.
He "shouts" in all uppercase and with a zillion exclamation marks, "YES!!!!!!! I AM THE CHAMPION OF RUSSIA!!!!!!!!!!!!"
(Although his account is not officially verified by Twitter, seems pretty likely that it really belongs to Kovtun. Other skaters frequently tweet @ this account.)

@Makskovtun
ДА!!!!!! Я ЧЕМПИОН РОССИИИИ!!!!!!!!!!!!&#33.. http://vk.cc/26HhA1
10:34 AM - 25 Dec 13
https://twitter.com/Makskovtun/status/415913527510302722

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Here's another article: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_...not-to-contest-Olympic-individual-event-7136/

"I think that I will select the team event and cede my spot in the men's competition to a young athlete," the R-Sport news agency quoted Plushenko as saying on the sidelines of the Russian championships in Sochi.

"Cede my Spot"?! Wow, and people are calling Chan entitled and arrogant? :rolleye:

What if Kovtun wants to do the team competition? Not to mention, Russia only has one spot.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Have the medalists been to press conferences? Kovtun was really, really happy inK&C. Wonder if Voronov is happy with bronze?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
from Eislauffan on FSU

Press conference

Plushenko said he doesn't know what went wrong. He felt actually quite good and really confident, maybe over-confident. He is upset at not having skated better but he will continue to work and train. He said he didn't really plan to go to Europeans, but maybe things will change. He said not winning Nationals isn't the biggest disappointment in his career, although he would have liked to win his 11th title. And he is disappointed with his performance.

Kovtun said that he is thrilled and will now prepare for Europeans.

Voronov just said that he and his team had set the goal to skate as well as possible and although he made some errors he is quite pleased. Now he wants to get ready for Budapest.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Kovtun cant demand any fairness because the criteria for team is not nationals only , The star article was on twitter before kovtun skated. Pissiev said team Russia will be decided after euros, have done the same in 2010 where they took the spot off voronov after euros , sent kovtun last year when hef he was only fifth at nationals and so on...so I guess he knows it is not only national that matter

spread beagle

Rinkside
I hope Plushenko will skate Europeans. He can surely do better showing than today and leave sport with better performance even without Sochi.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Kovtun cant demand any fairness because the criteria for team is not nationals only , The star article was on twitter before kovtun skated. Pissiev said team Russia will be decided after euros, have done the same in 2010 where they took the spot off voronov after euros , sent kovtun last year when hef he was only fifth at nationals and so on...so I guess he knows it is not only national that matter

Kovtun skated well all season long, he made the GPF, and won Russian nationals. Based on recent results, he's clearly their best bet.

Its not like this was some skate of Kovtun's life.

supsu

On the Ice
I find it appalling to watch Plushenko skate no matter what his resume looks like. He has no connection with the music until step seq, and also no sophisticated interpretation -running on your skates and hip stroking doesn't do it. Also he does nothing but skate cross overs to the next jump and no wonder he's considered consistent cause it's so very much easier to jump without hard transitions. His age doesn't matter. He's the same as anyone wether 17 or 30, one doesn't get points for age. If his age had brought him wisdom he would have retired a long time ago. BUT i guess he's too arrogant to see that he has limitations. If he were humble etc he would have tried to adjust to the current skating system and learn from others but no. If I weren't so disgusted by his arrogancy (starting from 2010 olympics and the latest letting some one else get his spot) i would feel sorry for him. I get that Chan has his flaws (and I'm not the biggest fan of his) but he's light-years ahead of mr P.

Kovtun has alot to work on but he's cute and has potential. Also his sp is very good and he can jump when he's on. At least he tries to interpret the music.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kovtun skated well all season long, he made the GPF, and won Russian nationals. Based on recent results, he's clearly their best bet.

Its not like this was some skate of Kovtun's life.

That's true. It wasn't even him at his best! LOL. PLushenko was so bad all discussion is over and its 85 vs 67 and Russian male Suguri.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't understand. I looked at Japanese national result but Suguri didn't skate?

It was based on the last time she skated at Japanese nationals and her attempts to get the Japanese nationals. His level of bombing here was like Suguri.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
It was based on the last time she skated at Japanese nationals and her attempts to get the Japanese nationals. His level of bombing here was like Suguri.

I'm SURE if Fumie Suguri had had the opportunity to redeem herself thanks to Europeans, she would have gone there.
She tried all the way.
He's qualified for Europeans and could if he wanted. We all know the russian federation would send him if he did go to Europeans and beat Kovtun. Suguri didn't have that safety net. And yet, according to the press releases, he doesn't want to try.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Maybe given his health it legitimately wouldn't be very wise for him to do Europeans.

Skating at this level - or at the level where he wants to be - requires several hours of practice a day. Participating in the Europeans and regular practice for Sochi during that time aren't that far apart in terms of what it takes out of his body. If that's his only chance of going there, I still don't understand why he's not even going to try.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
If Plushenko indeed said that he 'chooses' the team event and he 'gives' the individual competition to Kovtun, then his arrogance is just ugly.

There is no doubt that Plushenko is one of the most accomplished Russian skaters in recent years. But Kovtun did skate better at Nationals and he did earn his Olympic spot fair and square. It's not Plushenko's to graciously give up...

You obviously don't know Russia :laugh:

It's not his spot until the Fed says its his spot

Maybe they did, To him .

It's really not fair that Kovtun must beat Plushenko twice for the Russian fed to even *consider* him being Russia's sole male spot

Well, No, But they choose, so ...

For all we know, Plushenko started training seriously for this because they asked him to and made him promises,
He did bring in the best male Russian score by far in a while in 2012 Euros without much trouble,
And, He's the one to most likely get the inflations ;)

Skating at this level - or at the level where he wants to be - requires several hours of practice a day. Participating in the Europeans and regular practice for Sochi during that time aren't that far apart in terms of what it takes out of his body. If that's his only chance of going there, I still don't understand why he's not even going to try.

Because he knows there's a likelihood he'd blow it again like last year? :p

spread beagle

Rinkside
If that's his only chance of going there, I still don't understand why he's not even going to try.

I don't understand either. What is lost by skating Europeans? Even if Sochi totally impossible and federation says no, he can still give good last showing and make year of comback worthwhile.