Can Plushenko close the gap on Kovtun? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Can Plushenko close the gap on Kovtun?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Em, Plushenko has done multiple times two quads in one Lp program in Goebel days, and the incredibles 4-3-2, 4-3-3 (less times that). After Yagudin, the norm was (even at recent Russian Nationals) two quads per competition (1 sp and 1 lp). In 2006 Olys Lp he skated an auto mode, I believe he wanted this gold medal too much to blow it again, but i ve seen Godfather skated great in earliers competitions.

Sorry I thought I had clarified... He only has done 1 type of quad in completion (4T). Also many guys have landed two quads in one LP (not that it's easy, especially under IJS with harder programs and elements). Only a handful have landed 3, seeing as how it requires mastery of two different quads. A 4-3-3 is very impressive though (not so much a 4-3-2 which I'm sure any guy who landed a clean 4-3 could do anyways).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sorry I thought I had clarified... He only has done 1 type of quad in completion (4T). Also many guys have landed two quads in one LP (not that it's easy, especially under IJS with harder programs and elements). Only a handful have landed 3, seeing as how it requires mastery of two different quads. A 4-3-3 is very impressive though (not so much a 4-3-2 which I'm sure any guy who landed a clean 4-3 could do anyways).

Yagudin didn't do anything other than a 4T either, and I don't see your precious Chan trying anything other than a 4T. Sorry, but this argument is terribly facetious.

Oh, by the way, Plushenko did try the 4Lz all the way back in 2001. He rotated it but couldn't stay up on it. After that he decided not to try again as it was the Olympic season and he didn't want to get injured.

What the people complaining about Plushenko's PCS at Russian Nationals are forgetting is that Kovtun's were also disgusting.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Nijinsky is pure magic you can't belittle it with any crooked reasoning.

Many people look for different things in a skater... I fundamentally look at the elements, skating skills, and intricacy of the program first and expressiveness and theatrics is somewhat secondary to that because good skating is fundamental.

I understand. I just want to enjoy the skating as most of Fs fans. I hope when a team doing the programs they want to make it for us, not for you,because the arena would be emptier than today. I think this is the biggest different between the Russian skating school and the North-Am skating school. The North-Am skating school is the winner today,but look at the empty arenas...

The new system destroyed the Russians for years. They need to build their whole skating on new fundaments.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
karne said:
What the people complaining about Plushenko's PCS at Russian Nationals are forgetting is that Kovtun's were also disgusting.

:thumbsup:

You can actually say the same when people complain about Plush's interviews. Kovtun remarking about inflated PCS at nationals and pointing out Hanyu and Plush as examples was... well, unneeded, to say it like that. Especially regarding Plush it looks pretty disrespectful.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yagudin didn't do anything other than a 4T either, and I don't see your precious Chan trying anything other than a 4T. Sorry, but this argument is terribly facetious.

Oh, by the way, Plushenko did try the 4Lz all the way back in 2001. He rotated it but couldn't stay up on it. After that he decided not to try again as it was the Olympic season and he didn't want to get injured.

It's nationals and we all know Kovtun would be getting inflated scores but at least he executed his content fairly well. But 95.22 points for Plushenko's program with 4 errors is ridiculous.

As for the 2 quads thing, you should probably see what my original argument was before thinking I'm criticizing him for doing only one type of quad... PTF was saying that I thought Goebel was a better jumper than Plushenko, and while that's totally false and I think overall Plushenko is a better jumper, I was saying Goebel had aspects to his jumping that were better than Plushenko.... one being his ability to land 3 quads in programs due to his ability to do two different quads, which Plushenko (and yes, other men who do only 1 type of quad, including Chan and Yagudin) never did in competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Nijinsky is pure magic you can't belittle it with any crooked reasoning.

I understand. I just want to enjoy the skating as most of Fs fans. I hope when a team doing the programs they want to make it for us, not for you,because the arena would be emptier than today. I think this is the biggest different between the Russian skating school and the North-Am skating school. The North-Am skating school is the winner today,but look at the empty arenas...

The new system destroyed the Russians for years. They need to build their whole skating on new fundaments.

Well, it's not like the arenas at Russian Nationals were exactly packed either. :sarcasm:

The new system "destroyed" the Russians because it demanded things from them other than strong jumping, which is why Voronov/Menshov (and to a lesser extent Gachinski who's had some success) haven't flourished under the system. As you said, they need to build their skating on new fundamentals as in more attention to transitions and spins and program choreography... just jumps aren't getting it done anymore.

As Jaana said, all countries were in a position to benefit from the new system. We shouldn't blame the North Americans/Japanese for actually taking advantage and creating well-rounded skaters... the Russians have only themselves to blame for not adequately developing the other important aspects of figure skating beyond jumps.

Only Kovtun has been the breakout skater who's been able to adapt to that (and not become solely a jumping clone), and we can see that his programs are actually choreographed with intricacy (along with the big ticket jumps)... no surprise that he's medalled twice on the GP, defeated Plushenko at Nationals, and is a heavy favourite going into Euros. His style isn't North American either (unless you want to define well-rounded programs/skaters as "North American" :biggrin:)... he clearly has artistry that is distinct from Plu/the other Russians, but has a European flair to it (like a Lambiel or Yagudin).

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Well, it's not like the arenas at Russian Nationals were exactly packed either. :sarcasm:

The new system "destroyed" the Russians because it demanded things from them other than strong jumping, which is why Voronov/Menshov (and to a lesser extent Gachinski who's had some success) haven't flourished under the system. As you said, they need to build their skating on new fundamentals as in more attention to transitions and spins and program choreography... just jumps aren't getting it done anymore.

As Jaana said, all countries were in a position to benefit from the new system. We shouldn't blame the North Americans/Japanese for actually taking advantage and creating well-rounded skaters... the Russians have only themselves to blame for not adequately developing the other important aspects of figure skating beyond jumps.

Only Kovtun has been the breakout skater who's been able to adapt to that (and not become solely a jumping clone), and we can see that his programs are actually choreographed with intricacy (along with the big ticket jumps)... no surprise that he's medalled twice on the GP, defeated Plushenko at Nationals, and is a heavy favourite going into Euros. His style isn't North American either (unless you want to define well-rounded programs/skaters as "North American" :biggrin:)... he clearly has artistry that is distinct from Plu/the other Russians, but has a European flair to it (like a Lambiel or Yagudin).

Yes, the Sochi arena wasn't full. Probably the FS's popularity is going down in Russia, too. Plus the competiton was in Sochi not in Moscow or any other great cities. Who knows?
And again, you have a taste. You dont like Plushy's program because you think they aren't well-choreographed programs.. OK. This is your opinion. I just don't understand... why are so popular Plushy's programs on Youtube? Why do love the people? Do you think the Dark eyes program( Senorita showed it to you, and listen to the American commentators) isn't a good program? I like every moments in it. Plus he had impact on people you can't take your eyes off him... this is the most important.
About your well-choreographed programs..... sometimes I ask míself why the skater is doing that? That is so unnecessary! What he/ she wants to express with that motion? Can't express with it nothing, just does it because she/he wants to COllect Points. I don't speak about every skaters.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I havent seen Yagudin live, but Kovtun is far far far away from anyhthing of Lambiel, I guess Yagudin too.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The Russian system under 6.0 is being compared to the Chinese system under 6.0 and that's disgustingly false. China said basically quads first and everything else second. Russia has has focused on skating skills jumps artistry and when plushenko was doing the beilman that reflected a recognition that spins were vital. Csg is being grotesquely inaccurate and the posts are completely disgraceful and disgustingly false and lie filled.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, the Sochi arena wasn't full. Probably the FS's popularity is going down in Russia, too. Plus the competiton was in Sochi not in Moscow or any other great cities. Who knows?
And again, you have a taste. You dont like Plushy's program because you think they aren't well-choreographed programs.. OK. This is your opinion. I just don't understand... why are so popular Plushy's programs on Youtube? Why do love the people? Do you think the Dark eyes program( Senorita showed it to you, and listen to the American commentators) isn't a good program? I like every moments in it. Plus he had impact on people you can't take your eyes off him... this is the most important.
About your well-choreographed programs..... sometimes I think why the skater is doing that? That is so unnecessary! What he/ she wants to express with that motion? Can't express with it nothing, just does it because she/he wants to COllect Points. I don't speak about every skater.

I don't like them because most of them aren't well-choreographed. But it's understandable that other people like him because they like his style of performance and his programs are still entertaining (particularly his exhibitions). I did like his Euros 2012 performances, and I can acknowledge when certain programs of his do have better choreography -- but my definition of choreography isn't fundamentally the theatrics... it's the actual movements between the jumps that exhibit good skating, good fundamentals, good variety. I'm actually glad for the IJS because people tend to think good interpretation/expression = good choreography. To show the distinction, Plushenko's expression during the breaks at the beginning of Nijinksy is good, but when if you call a spade a spade, the beginning is essentially stroking-jump-two foot glide, followed by stroking-jump-break, followed by stroking-jump-break.

Notice that it's Choreography/Composition... it's about how a program is structured and the inherent difficulty between elements.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
To show the distinction, Plushenko's expression during the breaks at the beginning of Nijinksy is good, but when if you call a spade a spade, the beginning is essentially stroking-jump-two foot glide, followed by stroking-jump-break, followed by stroking-jump-break.

Notice that it's Choreography/Composition... it's about how a program is structured and the inherent difficulty between elements.

Who cares of it if the people want to cry after seeing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJXkfMYTX4

some new posts:

"I think I might be crying from the sheer beauty of this."

"Wow, it's amazing! I've never seen anything like it before in my life. So beautiful that it took my breath away! Plushenko gave a flawless performance and he made history with it. That's Art!"

"There never was anybody like him, never will be, spasiba."

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't get that emotional watching his skates, personally, but that's great if he evokes those feelings in his fans. :)

Do you get emotional watching anyone's skates? Not necessarily to the point of feeling weepy - but emotional? This isn't meant as criticism - I'm merely curious. I get the impression that you watch skating from a more... for lack of a better word presenting itself... intellectual perspective. Figure skating can be enjoyed in a lot of ways - and I think that is one of the great things about it - and different things "speak" to different people. But sometimes I think that in a discussion this can lead to people talking at cross purposes, as they aren't coming from the same place, so to speak.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Do you get emotional watching anyone's skates? Not necessarily to the point of feeling weepy - but emotional? This isn't meant as criticism - I'm merely curious. I get the impression that you watch skating from a more... for lack of a better word presenting itself... intellectual perspective. Figure skating can be enjoyed in a lot of ways - and I think that is one of the great things about it - and different things "speak" to different people. But sometimes I think that in a discussion this can lead to people talking at cross purposes, as they aren't coming from the same place, so to speak.

I like this topic...I think I'm going to start a new thread.. Hope that's OK, I think it will yield interesting discussion.

LRK

Record Breaker
I like this topic...I think I'm going to start a new thread.. Hope that's OK, I think it will yield interesting discussion.

Oh, absolutely! I'll be looking forward to reading the ensuing discussion. :)