Upcoming skating teleconferences | Golden Skate

Upcoming skating teleconferences

KKonas

Medalist
On Monday, Dec 30, Chock & Bates, Castelli/Shnapir, Ross Miner, Jason Brown. on Friday Jan 3, Shibutani's Gracie Gold, Adam Rippon. Previously held Davis/White, Max Aaron, Ashley Wagner. Agnes Zawadzki, Denney/Coughlin, Scimeca/Knierim (I missed these last three.) Don't see Jeremy Abbott on this list.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
On Monday, Dec 30, Chock & Bates, Castelli/Shnapir, Ross Miner, Jason Brown. on Friday Jan 3, Shibutani's Gracie Gold, Adam Rippon. Previously held Davis/White, Max Aaron, Ashley Wagner. Agnes Zawadzki, Denney/Coughlin, Scimeca/Knierim (I missed these last three.) Don't see Jeremy Abbott on this list.

Thx, KKonas. :)
So three teleconferences per discipline before U.S. Nationals, except four for men: Aaron, Brown, Miner, Rippon.
Interesting that more men made the cut than ladies. :think:
(I almost would wonder whether Miner's appeal as a Boston skater ensured his inclusion -- but it must not be true or else Gao should have been scheduled as well.)

And thx for your reporting in other threads re the calls that you heard. (And for your answer to my question in the Davis/White thread.)

(@LynnRutherford tweeted notes re the calls with Zawadzki; Denney/Coughlin; and Scimeca/Knierim, if anyone is interested in some of their comments.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks KKonas!

Sort of interesting to who they opt to include in these teleconferences. Surprised that Jeremy did not get a call; he is the reigning bronze medalist, but Jason and Adam, who were not on the podium did. (OF course both did the best out of all the men on the GP circuit, so that's probably the logic for their inclusion).

Anyway, looking forward to hearing updates from the call!

KKonas

Medalist
Re Ashley Wagner. She said after the GPF that she was happy with her programs and that she was not going to make any changes before Nationals. She also commented on the Russian baby ballerinas saying that she doesn't really watch the other skaters (competitors). She feels her skating is mature and they would all have to worry about changes they will have to deal with after going thru puberty. (Not exact quotes.)

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
Thx, KKonas. :)
So three teleconferences per discipline before U.S. Nationals, except four for men: Aaron, Brown, Miner, Rippon.
Interesting that more men made the cut than ladies. :think:
(I almost would wonder whether Miner's appeal as a Boston skater ensured his inclusion -- but it must not be true or else Gao should have been scheduled as well.)And thx for your reporting in other threads re the calls that you heard. (And for your answer to my question in the Davis/White thread.)

(@LynnRutherford tweeted notes re the calls with Zawadzki; Denney/Coughlin; and Scimeca/Knierim, if anyone is interested in some of their comments.)

Perhaps the fact that Ross Miner has been on the podium THE LAST 3 NATIONALS ensured his inclusion in the teleconference? I'm not sure why everyone is counting him out at this point. Yes, he's had a bad year but his track record for nationals is pretty good!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... Sort of interesting to who they opt to include in these teleconferences. Surprised that Jeremy did not get a call; he is the reigning bronze medalist, but Jason and Adam, who were not on the podium did. (OF course both did the best out of all the men on the GP circuit, so that's probably the logic for their inclusion). ...

Perhaps the fact that Ross Miner has been on the podium THE LAST 3 NATIONALS ensured his inclusion in the teleconference? I'm not sure why everyone is counting him out at this point. Yes, he's had a bad year but his track record for nationals is pretty good!

Hi, 80sskatergirl:

Sorry if I was not clear above. Noooo disrespect intended to Miner, whom I like. :) I am not counting him out.
I'm glad that he will be giving a teleconference and will be able to preview the case that he will make for the podium in Boston and for one of the two Sochi spots.

That said, I do believe that Abbott watchers are justified in wishing that he too had been invited to give a teleconference.
Although his record since the last Olympics has been uneven, overall Abbott surely has accomplished at least as much as Miner (and as the other men). And of course, Abbott's previous Olympic experience is a feather in his cap.

It's not that I think that Miner is any less deserving than the other three men with teleconferences this year.
It's that Abbott is equally deserving to the four with teleconferences -- but was not included on the list. :eek:hwell:

And as I said above, it is notable that only three entries from each of the other disciples are on the list for teleconferences.
So on some level, it seems that USFS decided to include an "extra" man.
Because Max is the defending champion, my hunch is that he is not the "extra" man. The extra could be any of the other three, IMHO. I agree with what you said about Miner. And I agree with what Mrs. P said about Brown, Rippon -- and Abbott (who clearly is not the extra).

wordsworthgirl

Medalist

where do these happen?? how can we hear them?

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
Hi, 80sskatergirl:

Sorry if I was not clear above. Noooo disrespect intended to Miner, whom I like. :) I am not counting him out.
I'm glad that he will be giving a teleconference and will be able to preview the case that he will make for the podium in Boston and for one of the two Sochi spots.

That said, I do believe that Abbott watchers are justified in wishing that he too had been invited to give a teleconference.
Although his record since the last Olympics has been uneven, overall Abbott surely has accomplished at least as much as Miner (and as the other men). And of course, Abbott's previous Olympic experience is a feather in his cap.

It's not that I think that Miner is any less deserving than the other three men with teleconferences this year.
It's that Abbott is equally deserving to the four with teleconferences -- but was not included on the list. :eek:hwell:

And as I said above, it is notable that only three entries from each of the other disciples are on the list for teleconferences.
So on some level, it seems that USFS decided to include an "extra" man.
Because Max is the defending champion, my hunch is that he is not the "extra" man. The extra could be any of the other three, IMHO. I agree with what you said about Miner. And I agree with what Mrs. P said about Brown, Rippon -- and Abbott (who clearly is not the extra).

Thanks for clarifying Golden411. Sorry, I guess I have gotten a little defensive lately about Miner! It seems he is on a lot of people's "do not want to go to the Olympics list" in this forum and I am one of what seems a few who wants him to go! I agree with you, not sure why Abbott wouldn't have a teleconference too? Who knows, maybe he was asked and he turned it down wanting to focus on nationals? You never know. Anyway, any clue how we can catch a glimpse of these teleconferences? Ice network perhaps??

KKonas

Medalist
Just off teleconference with Chock & Bates. Bates got his degree in Organizational Studies at the U. of Mich. Said they will be concentrating mostly on consistency going into Nationals. Finnstep Levels were a problem in GP with Level 1s but both say they have improved on their levels going into Boston and needed to do that to make the Oly team. They like the idea of the team event even though they may not be a part of it this time. Bates says he doesn't see a negative for the event. Neither are worried about Russian security for the Games.

KKonas

Medalist
Just off teleconference with Castelli/Shnapir. Simon says (even though he was born in Moscow and speaks fluent Russian), he never competed in Russia and is looking forward to the possibility of doing so in Sochi. Last time he was in Russia was 1999 to see relatives, he wasn't skating pairs.
Also they are looking forward to having Nationals in their hometown (Boston). Plan on doing their quad throw but will not do triple combo jump in FS, plan on doing single triple toe and single triple Salchow instead. Simon said he likes the idea of the team event in Sochi and has looked at the schedule being so close to pairs competition but is now just focused on doing their best in Boston and making the Oly Team.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I assume Abbot could have decided not to participate in the teleconference... with a lot of negative type questions finding him lately he may want to stay away from those voices getting into his head...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I assume Abbot could have decided not to participate in the teleconference... with a lot of negative type questions finding him lately he may want to stay away from those voices getting into his head...

Can you actually opt-out of a conference? I would think if you were asked you would have to do so...

KKonas

Medalist
Can you actually opt-out of a conference? I would think if you were asked you would have to do so...

As far as I am aware, USFS teleconferences are not mandatory, but most athletes like to do them as it gives them added media exposure especially before a major competition.

KKonas

Medalist
Just off teleconference with Ross Miner. Said is ankle injury (sprain) has been resolved (he changed his boots) and is in full training which has been going well. No decision yet on quad Salchow in SP but looks good. Theme for FS is Boston Strong, reflecting a tribute to those hurt in the Boston Marathon bombing. Said it was the easiest program to choreograph. He is always nervous for Nationals but not any more nervous because of it being held in Boston. He is very excited to compete there.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Per Lynn Rutherford on Twitter :

On his teleconference @jasonbskates said he's working on his quad every day, but it will not be in programs at '14 US Championships.

For quad, Brown & coach Kori Ade are sticking with same strategy they used for 3A: "Not pushing too hard, not risking integrity of programs"

The strategy may work; w/o quad Brown scored 84.77 for his short during Grand Prix. Will focus on flow in & out of jumps to gain higher GOE.

centerpt1

On the Ice

I'm an Abbott fan, but the further he stays away from media, the better. He got thrown under the bus by his own Colorado Newspaper- and USFS did nothing to help him. Seems they were happy to watch him go under. Happy. They don't want him in Sochi. So- I hope Abbott maintains a low profile and lets his skating speak for him.