Movies you've seen? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Movies you've seen?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I kept waiting for this watershed moment that I was supposedly going to have. Basically the trailers that were shown for weeks before the movie hit theaters is all you need to know the whole story. It really was just a longer version of that... Stuff they should've spent time on they blew right through... and then the last 20+ minutes it's basically a campaigning video. :no: Which I kinda saw coming, but still... I don't like it when it feels like a movie is FORCING you to feel something... I like it when it comes naturally like you're really experiencing it - not just being told to... if that makes sense?

My mom when she saw the Golden Globes' look at 12 Years A Slave said "so, it's a new version of Roots?" - which is kinda how I feel it will probably be... but I'd still love to see it.

Secretariat was poorly done! I am a big horse racing fan--Penny Chenery was not there when Secretariat was born, nor was Lucien Laurin. There was no battle between Secretariat's connections and those of Sham's --Pancho Martin. I was watching it and shaking my head.

Secretariat won the Belmont by 31 lenths but the film failed to capture the excitement and glory.

I probably avoided Secretariat because I had loved Seabiscuit so much, whether that film was exactly true to the original events or not. (There has to be some artistic license in a movie--for example, in films where Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots meet, one has to appreciate the dramatic possibilities of the encounter, though in history the two never met face to face, I believe.) Seabiscuit, based on a great book, was so powerful and made the characters stand out. (Real-life jockey Gary Stevens as George "Iceman" Woolf was especially believable.)

As for Secretariat, like you, I remember Big Red's miracle year. That Belmont run was like nothing else any of us ever saw. I still get chills from that newspaper photo of the jockey (Turcotte?) turning around and hardly being able to see any other horses behind him. So a sedate, respectful "great moments" movie didn't attract me. I'm not surprised that Secretariat didn't work for you. Glad I didn't try to see it!

heyang

Record Breaker
12 Years A Slave is being re-released to theaters for Martin Luthor King Weekend. The closest it's playing to me is about a 50 minute drive away, but I think I might make the effort.

heyang

Record Breaker
I kept waiting for this watershed moment that I was supposedly going to have. Basically the trailers that were shown for weeks before the movie hit theaters is all you need to know the whole story. It really was just a longer version of that... Stuff they should've spent time on they blew right through... and then the last 20+ minutes it's basically a campaigning video. :no: Which I kinda saw coming, but still... I don't like it when it feels like a movie is FORCING you to feel something... I like it when it comes naturally like you're really experiencing it - not just being told to... if that makes sense?

My mom when she saw the Golden Globes' look at 12 Years A Slave said "so, it's a new version of Roots?" - which is kinda how I feel it will probably be... but I'd still love to see it.

I've heard it strikes a different chord than Roots. The main character was a free man and then kidnapped in the US into slavery.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've heard it strikes a different chord than Roots. The main character was a free man and then kidnapped in the US into slavery.

yeah, that's what I told her... lol I think she was thinking more about the emotion and violence...

yeah, that's what I told her... lol I think she was thinking more about the emotion and violence...

They're showing The Help this evening on one of the cable networks. It deals with some of the same era as The Butler, and I find it tremendously effective. Though I am glad that Octavia Spencer got an Oscar, I really wish Viola Davis had received one too. Her face tells a story without any words needed. I hope that the personal element is as strong in The Butler as it is in so many of the scenes of The Help.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IMO it's not. The Help is a fantastic film and deserved the nods it got. The Butler was not half as moving, IMO.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I saw "The Butler." Had not read Toni's feelings. I found it very moving, very hard to swallow. Maybe because I was young but alive when Kennedy, MLK were shot, and have seen the minority community lose ground.

I love horse movies, so no complaints here. I don't need dark movies. "The Help" was good. I haven't seen any "golden globe" movies except "Liberace." from the Redbox. Worth skipping unless you are a big fan of Douglas or Damon.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Youth does not play a factor in my feeling on the film. Perhaps my going through film courses in college does? It was disjointed and poorly written IMO. And I stand by my statement that they were too busy with the cameos to really get into the heart of the actual story. Whittaker and Winfrey are better actors than what happened in this movie.

I may not have lived through the 60s, but that doesn't automatically mean I don't understand what was going on during that time.

Youth does not play a factor in my feeling on the film. Perhaps my going through film courses in college does? It was disjointed and poorly written IMO. And I stand by my statement that they were too busy with the cameos to really get into the heart of the actual story. Whittaker and Winfrey are better actors than what happened in this movie.

I may not have lived through the 60s, but that doesn't automatically mean I don't understand what was going on during that time.

Agreed, Toni. The great thing about history is that we can all get on the time machine if we make the effort. No one has an automatic aristocracy by virtue of having been there. There were a lot of people alive during the years of the civil rights movement who slept through it. I lived through a certain amount of it as a child, but my understanding of it came from study later on. That's when I really encountered people such as John Lewis, James Farmer, and Diane Nash.

I will edit this to add that people who took action at a particular time do get to speak up and bear witness, of course, and their words carry a special weight.

I suspect that The Butler has a certain amount of "great moments" to its storytelling, which might blunt its effect, but I'd have to see it for myself to verify that. No matter how sincere a filmmaker is, it's very hard to make an effective film about a large event or the entire life of a significant person. A movie such as Gandhi probably comes closest. One reason Clint Eastwood's Mandela film, Invictus, is so powerful is that it takes one incident and gives us the texture and humanity of it, and from that incident we can extrapolate the larger picture. The whole idea of how reviled the Springboks were indicates how audacious Mandela was to make the team a symbol of all of South Africa. Remember how entire teams of African athletes boycotted the Montreal Olympics just because New Zealand had played the Springboks? This aspect of Afrikaans culture was an inspired way to approach a portrait of Mandela. But many filmmakers want to take on the whole ball of wax, and they certainly have the right to try. After all, one of them might get it exactly right.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I felt for the main character, but he really did not seem to come off as a likeable person. He neglected the needs of his family (other than financially) and the movie seemed to suggest he went about Civil Rights all wrong (by not causing waves). There was one line in the movie that suggested otherwise, but then towards the end they again argued that activists were the only way to get things done.

If they were going for making him be in the background then they definitely got that right, but it was hard *for me* to feel for him. I wanted to, but there wasn't much there.

Winfrey's Character, too, was so completely disjointed (which if that was the point on how to show her character then, fine, it's spot on, but it's not good for active storytelling). Her storyline was not complete at all.

John Cusak as Nixon was probably the best of the cameos... James Marsden had the voice of JFK down, but he doesn't look anything like him (which did not bother my friend lol)

I don't know. I'd like to see 12 Years A Slave to see if my thoughts are correct as to why The Butler didn't get more in the award nominations. My guess is that with similar subject matter one was done far better than the other and therefore got the love.

Johar

Medalist
12 Years was in our theater for about a week, then gone. My friends and i never got around to seeing it. Captain Phil was also here, then gone, and now back again. Huh? :confused:

BTW, I have a white FB friend who feels it is racism anytime a film starring black people loses or isn't nominated. Just about everyday she posts examples of 'white people, especially men. bad!' She and her friends could find racism in a blade of grass. :popcorn:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
With them getting Oscars they'll all end up coming back for short second runs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I saw the movie "Her" last night.

http://www.herthemovie.com/#/home

Basically, the movie takes place in a slightly futuristic Los Angeles and chronicles how a man falls in love with a new advanced operating system (think Siri on a more advanced level).

The concept may sound a bit hokey, but Spike Jonze, the director and screenwriter, wrote a really tight and compelling story. Scarlett Johanson does a nice job playing the voice of Samantha, the operating system and Joaquin Phoenix does great acting as the protagonist.

This is an interesting article on creating the look of the movie: http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...stumes-20131223,0,5342258.story#axzz2oLgVC4VO

Anyway I would recommend it...such great storytelling.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm definitely interested in seeing it, Mrs. P... whether or not I end up getting to see all of these nominated films before next award season, though is another story.

I *have* seen the majority of the animated films nominated. Frozen is above and beyond the others. The competition isn't even close (and I enjoyed The Croods and Despicable Me 2)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Agreed, Toni. The great thing about history is that we can all get on the time machine if we make the effort. No one has an automatic aristocracy by virtue of having been there. There were a lot of people alive during the years of the civil rights movement who slept through it. I lived through a certain amount of it as a child, but my understanding of it came from study later on. That's when I really encountered people such as John Lewis, James Farmer, and Diane Nash.

I will edit this to add that people who took action at a particular time do get to speak up and bear witness, of course, and their words carry a special weight.

I suspect that The Butler has a certain amount of "great moments" to its storytelling, which might blunt its effect, but I'd have to see it for myself to verify that. No matter how sincere a filmmaker is, it's very hard to make an effective film about a large event or the entire life of a significant person. A movie such as Gandhi probably comes closest. One reason Clint Eastwood's Mandela film, Invictus, is so powerful is that it takes one incident and gives us the texture and humanity of it, and from that incident we can extrapolate the larger picture. The whole idea of how reviled the Springboks were indicates how audacious Mandela was to make the team a symbol of all of South Africa. Remember how entire teams of African athletes boycotted the Montreal Olympics just because New Zealand had played the Springboks? This aspect of Afrikaans culture was an inspired way to approach a portrait of Mandela. But many filmmakers want to take on the whole ball of wax, and they certainly have the right to try. After all, one of them might get it exactly right.

Toni, I am feeling belearapherguered, however one spells it. You consistently misunderstand me, whenever I post to you, or address you. I'm happy you took film courses and are a photog. I simply said I liked it. Had I see your review, I might have decided not to rent it. I can see the issues you have-dead on right. Let me say that finding a picture that is not about zombies, the dead, scary paranormal.laden with gratuitous sex, or darkly depressing is hard. I have seen NONE OF THE NOMINATED MOVIES AND LIKELY WON'T FOR A WHILE. I (sorry cap key-too tired to care). I have seen Hunger Games 2 and this Butler movie. I feel the pain of the outcast profoundly, plus I saw what these assasinations did to family, culture, even as a child. There is NO SUBSTITUTE for direct experience, and some very sensitive children are deeply imprinted with the Kennedy Assasination. The day Bobby was shot-the Kennedy grief, the sadness of MLK's children and the brave face of Mrs King.

Surely Olympia, you cannot say you know how it felt to watch soldiers drag back from the civil war? Sometimes it seems like responses are about popularity, not the discussion. I know I am a liberal progressive Toni, and don't understand Sarah Palin's Alaska, but maybe you can stop misunderstanding me on purpose? Whatever I say, you manage to find the worst spin on it. I'm sorry, I am too tired to explain anymore.

I do not hate YuNa Kim.
I do not think your youth is a bad thing.
Cheers all. going to bed.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Making Dad watch "Steel Magnolias" right now... he's a big "chick flick" fan anyway. Love this movie... I love when movies are "classics" and transcend time. Costumes and pop culture references may be outdated, but it doesn't matter what generation - it is just as applicable today as it was when it was released.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Making Dad watch "Steel Magnolias" right now... he's a big "chick flick" fan anyway. Love this movie... I love when movies are "classics" and transcend time. Costumes and pop culture references may be outdated, but it doesn't matter what generation - it is just as applicable today as it was when it was released.

I feel that way about a lot of movies....especially ones from the 1980s.