Japanese skaters 2014 and beyond? | Golden Skate

Japanese skaters 2014 and beyond?

malo42

On the Ice
haha I feel like this is a topic that should wait until the season is already over but I want to talk about it now so...

Miki and Oda are already gone, Daisuke, Mao, and Akiko are next...I think? Have they all said they're going to retire? Who will be the ones to keep Japanese skating going over the next four years? For men I imagine Yuzuru will keep going and he's young enough to still be strong in 2018 (barring any unfortunate injuries), but who will step up to become the second and third men? Will Machida and Mura stick around? For ladies Kanako seems to always want to retire but she's still young so maybe she'll keep going? Will Satoko keep be able and improve her jumps? Imai had a good showing at nationals but will she be able to improve on her international results? Which junior ladies seem most likely to step it up? :laugh: So many questions, most of them don't have answers but I'm interested in opinions.

Marin Honda, won't be able to skate in the JGP until 15/16: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ie-fcsAGZ4

chloepoco

Medalist
haha I feel like this is a topic that should wait until the season is already over but I want to talk about it now so...

Miki and Oda are already gone, Daisuke, Mao, and Akiko are next...I think? Have they all said they're going to retire? Who will be the ones to keep Japanese skating going over the next four years? For men I imagine Yuzuru will keep going and he's young enough to still be strong in 2018 (barring any unfortunate injuries), but who will step up to become the second and third men? Will Machida and Mura stick around? For ladies Kanako seems to always want to retire but she's still young so maybe she'll keep going? Will Satoko keep be able and improve her jumps? Imai had a good showing at nationals but will she be able to improve on her international results? Which junior ladies seem most likely to step it up? :laugh: So many questions, most of them don't have answers but I'm interested in opinions.

Marin Honda, won't be able to skate in the JGP until 15/16: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ie-fcsAGZ4

Oh, she's a little cutie! Talented too!!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think ur op sums up what we know. I am a Haruka fan. Satoko still looks like a child. Our Japanese fans likely know who is being touted in juniors. I think Kanako should stay, she will be number 1.

LRK

Record Breaker
I really like Kanako, so I hope she stays. While I love Mao and Akiko more, I almost think it would be sadder if she retires - purely because she is so young. Of course, it is her choice, and I fully respect that - but as a figure skating viewer, I think it will be a real loss.

Robeye

Final Flight
Wow! She's like Satoko Miyahara - but with higher jumps!
I could totally picture the top japanese figure skating coaches meet in a dark laboratory for years and spend millions desperately researching for a potion that stops all growth and puberty!
Even if they could, I really wish they wouldn't.

I am speaking from personal preference, but I was never a fan of the Tara Lipinski type. I dig more the Yuna and Shizuka and Mao type of skaters, who do what they do on the ice despite the 'handicap' of looking like adult women. :)

luckykid

On the Ice
I think Kozuka will continue for at least a while more, as he said he will learn from not being selected for Sochi and improve.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I am speaking from personal preference, but I was never a fan of the Tara Lipinski type. I dig more the Yuna and Shizuka and Mao type of skaters, who do what they do on the ice despite the 'handicap' of looking like adult women. :)

Totally agree with you!

spikydurian

Medalist
I think Kozuka will continue for at least a while more, as he said he will learn from not being selected for Sochi and improve.
Kozuka is my favourite Japanese skater. Very happy to hear that.

The Honda kids are impressive. Looking very much like 'future champions'.

Gigi13

On the Ice
I hope both Kanako and Kozuka stay for a while it would be really sad if either of them retire and I like the Honda kids, they have a lot of potential.

TheCzar

On the Ice
What a void eh? Let's not jinx the young Japanese prospects like the world did the Russian babies.

malo42

On the Ice
With all the talk about Mirai and people thinking maybe she should try and skate for Japan because the Japanese ladies field will be sooooo empty without Miki, Mao and Akiko I'm thinking about this again. It is obviously hard to say what lies ahead for the Japanese ladies but I really do believe that the Japanese have quite a few ladies that have the tech content to compete on the senior level internationally and any one of them could have a break out season within the next 2 seasons. For the rest of this season I'd like to see Hongo, Imai, Murakami and Miyahara do well at all their international comps, I especially hope that Hongo and Miyahara will be able to secure full spots for Japan for the 14/15 JGP. For next season I'd like to see Hongo and Ohba moved to senior. I'm not really sure if Ohba (or Hongo for that matter...) will be able to get GP assignments? But I hope the JSF does all they can to support them as seniors because maybe they can stay junior for another season but I don't think it's the wisest choice for them. On the 14/15 JGP I look forward to seeing Wakaba, Mihara, Sakamoto, Matsuda, Kihara and Kato (staying junior for just one more season, barring disaster). My personal favorites for now are Kihara and Kato, I like Wakaba, Mihara, and Sakamoto but at the moment they're all super young.