Embarrassing question | Golden Skate

Embarrassing question

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm going to Boston next week for U. S. Figure Skating...should be fun except for the horribly overpriced restaurant meals. Any place else I've gone for Nationals I've always found a "less expensive" alternative for some or all the meals. Boston is proving to be very difficult. I've done ok figuring out breakfast and lunch. Dinner is a whole different situation because the less expensive places don't serve evening meals.

There is a Mortons Steakhouse next door to my hotel. I read that they have relatively inexpensive bar bites which are served only in the bar :laugh: of course. I've never been to a Morton's because they are way more expensive than I would want to spend for 1 meal. But, those bar bites sound good and not terribly expensive. Trouble is I don't drink alcohol at all because of meds I take.

Is it ok to sit in the bar and order the bar bites and a diet soda??? :slink: Are they going to think I'm nuts or ask me to leave? I can't find anything on the website that says you have to order alcohol to order the bar bites or sit in the bar, but it is just so embarrassing to me that I don't know the answer to this.

Anyone have any experience along these lines or familiar with Mortons?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Why don't you email them your question?

eta: I re-read your post and noticed 2 things. First, the bar bites are not free as I hastily assumed. So I don't see any problem for you to order them with your drink of choice. Secondly, there is nothing to be embarrassed about. You want a soda with bar bites both of which you will pay for. It is your prerogative. There is nothing to be embarrassed about even if the restaurant says no. The only one judging you is you. Please don't do it to yourself.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I've definitely drank soda in happy hour. The only requirement with happy hour usually is a beverage purchase of any kind. Trust me, given the price of soda, they are still making money!

You can also order non-alcoholic versions of piña coloda or other cocktails.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks! Morton's may be my restaurant of choice after 4:30 p.m. The bar bites are only $7 or so and even if the soda is $5 that is still a deal. I honestly can't believe how expensive the restaurants are in Boston compared to any place I've ever been!

I confess that I am usually very hard on myself....maybe being kinder to myself should be a new years resolution.

You know, these days a lot of people aren't drinking for one reason or another. Some are in AA and no longer touch alcohol; some, like you, are taking medications that rule out alcohol; others are lifelong non-drinkers for religious or health reasons; still others are the designated drivers for their friends. Some are on first dates with a new person and want to stay alert and in control. It's socially acceptable not to drink booze these days, thank goodness. (I am a non-drinker.) So I can just about promise you that you won't be the first person who sits down at that bar and orders a sparkling water or whatever. That's why they sell bottled water and soda, and no bartender will bat an eyelash in surprise.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You know, these days a lot of people aren't drinking for one reason or another. Some are in AA and no longer touch alcohol; some, like you, are taking medications that rule out alcohol; others are lifelong non-drinkers for religious or health reasons; still others are the designated drivers for their friends. Some are on first dates with a new person and want to stay alert and in control. It's socially acceptable not to drink booze these days, thank goodness. (I am a non-drinker.) So I can just about promise you that you won't be the first person who sits down at that bar and orders a sparkling water or whatever. That's why they sell bottled water and soda, and no bartender will bat an eyelash in surprise.

ITA on all points. I definitely love my bubbly and IPAs, but there are times where I just want a diet coke or a Shirley Temple.

I totally can relate MFarrone regarding be hard on yourself. I can be like that too. It's always a work in progress to give ourselves more grace.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Many restaurants these days like people eating at the bar (especially singles) even if they aren't purchasing alcohol... it opens up a table for a couple or 4 people... so they make more money all the way around. I don't drink (not so much for religious reasons, but because I've watched it tear apart my extended family on both sides...) but I've never been turned away from "the bar" when I am eating by myself...

heyang

Record Breaker
Definitely nothing wrong with order soft drinks at the bar, especially if you are paying for food.

Also, most restaurants appreciate a 'designated' driver. The restaurant would rather give out free soft drinks to people who will be driving their drunk friends home vs the liability.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for all the encouragement. I definitely think I'll be going to Morton's. I've heard from friends that have been there for anniversary dinners and such that the food is wonderful. My limit will be the various bar bites....but that is ok.

heyang

Record Breaker
The Morton's in Hong Kong had a really good shrimp cocktail and the tomato salad was very good. Steaks were good, too.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
On the other hand, you could do what I do....I will go to the Atlantic beer garden where there are sandwitches for 10-12 bucks...you could order water with your sandwitch and nobody blinks....the Whiskey Priest has no menus that I can bring up but I bet they aren't too different....if you are a small breakfast person, you can get a nice inexpensive lunch at Sebastians or Pace and have dinner at the Beer Garden or Priest, and not break a budjet. When I was less well off, I would sleep in my car and eat at McDonalds when I went on vacation....or camp. A Motel 6 was a luxury...nothing to be ashamed of, having to live within one's means....
Chris who wont order drinks and popcorn at the movies....
Thanks for all the encouragement. I definitely think I'll be going to Morton's. I've heard from friends that have been there for anniversary dinners and such that the food is wonderful. My limit will be the various bar bites....but that is ok.

And remember, you can always find a supermarket and buy something like yogurt to keep in your room and snack on or have for breakfast. In among all this, I hope you enjoy every moment of Nationals! Please report on the competition. (This goes for everyone who attends.)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ I hope our hotel room has a fridge, so we can get breakfast foods to have in the room (to save time & money). In San Jose, I walked to a nearby supermarket, bought bagels, peanut butter & jelly, and some snacks (which we were able to bring to the arena). Even if we can't bring our own goodies into the arena, I like the idea of having some on hand back @ the hotel, especially for breakfast time.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^ I hope our hotel room has a fridge, so we can get breakfast foods to have in the room (to save time & money). In San Jose, I walked to a nearby supermarket, bought bagels, peanut butter & jelly, and some snacks (which we were able to bring to the arena). Even if we can't bring our own goodies into the arena, I like the idea of having some on hand back @ the hotel, especially for breakfast time.

have you contacted your hotel to see if it's an option/request one?