Greatest Ladies SP of all time | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Greatest Ladies SP of all time

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Gracie Gold's SP last night was awesome. Definitely an outstanding surprise of the night and worthy to be in this discussion

Yeah, um...no. It was a very nice performance but, no...just no. :slink:

RABID

Final Flight
Yeah, um...no. It was a very nice performance but, no...just no. :slink:

I asked this question before but no one responded so I'll ask again, can a short NOT performed at an international competition be considered great? Or is even that level of competition not good enough to determine a short's greatness?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It has nothing to do with where it's performed, but rather that Gracie's program is crap.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I asked this question before but no one responded so I'll ask again, can a short NOT performed at an international competition be considered great? Or is even that level of competition not good enough to determine a short's greatness?

It has nothing to do with where it's performed, but rather that Gracie's program is crap.

Pretty much. A performance of a lifetime at Nationals--or one of many--can certainly be considered great in my opinion. But personally, I don't like Gracie's program. It has nothing to do with her character, but everything to do with her skating.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
She was very good. If you missed it, it was worth seeing on TV. So is Polina and Ashley, and a few others. Flatts swan song was good. It deserved better. Judging is so subjective, so like what you like.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The competition is often greater at national competitions, as in Japan this year. Certainly there is more at stake at many national events than there is at Grand Prix events.

RABID

Final Flight

Actually I only started wondering after watching YuNa's short at her Nationals but just the same Blades your opinion of Gracie's skate is rather harsh. It may not be a masterpiece but ... crap?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yes, for the majority of the running time, the program has almost no sense of purpose. She has a lot of generic pretty movements and a lot of complex elements that just happen for no reason. I actually like the program up through the Layback spin but after that it's just a technical point-gaining exercise. Also, this is Long Program music. It tries to build to an epic conclusion at the end even though there is not enough foundation here to do so.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
It's interesting to see others' opinions of GOAT. Namely, because it's obvious some are only fans for maybe the last five years, so everything GOAT is either Mao or Yuna. They might only be in their teens, who knows. I forgot to mention in my GOAT SP list Tiffany Chin's 84 Don Quixote. So musical and she was just a revelation. I have been moved by Mao, but curiously never moved at all by Yuna. It might have been that article about Yuna at 13 where she stated she wanted to quit, didn't like to skate, but her mother forced her to. So it was hard not to see the discordance between what she had to offer to skating and what she hated to do.

Here's Tiffany Chin in Sarajevo. Just spectacular, definitely 1st on my card over Witt. Just about every note was spoken for: http://youtu.be/b5MAIHkFQmU

Well if I'm going to say that Chin's is one of the GOAT I guess I should post to the SP she lost to. Here's Witt. She's young, she's pretty, she can move, but I found it all sorta tacky, and not of the excellence of Chin. http://youtu.be/v6j7EkxVAHc

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
A hard selection to compact, though here are some of them ordered from higher to lower, impact wise:

1. Sasha Cohen, "Malagueña" (2006 World Championships, Dortmund)
2. Maria Butyrskaya, "Scène d'amour" (2000 World Championsips, Nice)
3. Sasha Cohen, "Dark eyes" (2006 Winter Olympics, Torino)
4. Oksana Baiul, "Swan Lake" (1994 Winter Olympics, Lillehammer)
5. Michelle Kwan, "Piano Concerto No. 3 / Piano Trio No. 2" (1998 US National Championships)
6. Carolina Kostner, "Variations on the Canon in D" (2007 World Championships, Tokyo)
7. Surya Bonaly, "Cries of Beirut" (1994 European Championships)
8. Sasha Cohen, "Мой Ласковый И Нежный Зверь" (2002 Winter Olympics, Salt Lake City)
9. Mao Asada, "Liebesträum" (2014 GPF)
10. Carolina Kostner, "Trio No. 2, Allegretto" (2012 World Championships, Nice)

Elaine

On the Ice
Thank you all for sharing these great performances. My all-time favourite is Yuna's Danse Macabre (2009 WC), but wow, I just fall in love with Sasha. Her Malaguena and Dark eyes are just perfect. I am kind of newbie to FS (since 2008), so this is my first time to watch Sasha's competition programs. Just wow. I love the fire on her eyes and the spiral is simply the best.

I also like Michelle's Rachmaninoff(1998 US Nats), East of Eden(2001 US Nats), Mirai's Pirates(2010 WC), Joannie's Oly sp, Mao's Nocturne(the old one, esp 2006 SA), Yuna's James Bond(I prefer the SA version. Considering what circumstance she was in, the Oly version is great as well, but I think the SA version is slightly better).

I am happy to find out many great skates! This is such a joy. Actually, I hope there are same threads for other disciplines! :love:

SkateToronto

On the Ice
Josee Chouinard 1994 and 1996 short programs loved the dresses and the choreography

I like those two a lot, too. She always had a such a charming quality to her skating.

I don't know if you'd call them "greatest of all time", but two of my personal favourite SPs were the ones skated by Kristi Yamaguchi in 1992 and Lu Chen in 1994.

TheCzar

On the Ice
Gracie Gold's SP is somewhat of a cheap, laboured effort- almost off hand from Lori who was asked to whip up something anti-Zoueva at a moment's notice. It was a better change for her, but regardless of the way she performed it- it was a basic piece of bland.

My list (which is a short one since I have only been into skating since the early 2000s, but I have watched some of your additions and with the 6.0 girls- most I agree with, but seeing as it wasn't my era, putting it on my list would feel too pretentious on my behalf) includes:

Mao Asada (2006 + 13/14 Nocturnes, 2007 Worlds, 2009 WTT and 2010 Olympics + Worlds)
Yu Na Kim (2007 Worlds, 2009 Worlds, and actually 2010's Bond Olympics. Everything since then have been a shadow of her past choreographies IMO)
Akiko Suzuki (2012 WTT, 2013)
Sasha Cohen (2006 Olympics)
Carolina Kostner (2012 esp her *blood on my hands face*)
Mirai Nagasu (stanning till the end! 2010 Vancouver)