Yuna Kim in Korean Nats for a final rehearsal before Sochi | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim in Korean Nats for a final rehearsal before Sochi

thinspread

On the Ice
Thanks for the post. Yuna should skate to this music -- so relaxing. :)

She is looking fine. :rock:

Barb

Record Breaker
So, we can to do a thread for each competition in "The Edge" section :scratch:? because if I remember correctly already exist this section :2013-14 Figure Skating Competitions and Events

Krislite

Medalist
This thread isn't about Korean Nationals. It's about Yuna Kim skating at Korean Nationals. Who cares about the actual "competition"? Sadly no one. It's so lop-sided it's not really a "competition" in the ladies event. :biggrin:

Barb

Record Breaker
This thread isn't about Korean Nationals. It's about Yuna Kim skating at Korean Nationals. Who cares about the actual "competition"? Sadly no one. It's so lop-sided it's not really a "competition" in the ladies event. :biggrin:

common :sarcasm:, it is the same, and in each competition thread you can to do another thread just about Yuna if you want.

Krislite

Medalist
common :sarcasm:, it is the same, and in each competition thread you can to do another thread just about Yuna if you want.

Yes, and you can also choose to ignore Yuna threads. But don't worry. There is light at the end of the tunnel. There's only what, two months left until Sochi? The Yuna-mania will be over soon and you'll be happy to know Yuna will be retired.

minze

Medalist
But you can open as many threads you want under Korean National😳

minze

Medalist
Yes, and you can also choose to ignore Yuna threads. But don't worry. There is light at the end of the tunnel. There's only what, two months left until Sochi? The Yuna-mania will be over soon and you'll be happy to know Yuna will be retired.

Strawman.

Icey

Record Breaker
Has anyone else had difficulty playing the opening post vid? If this hadn't have been posted here, while I probably should visit the competition thread, I wouldn't and would have missed this. Thanks for posting here.

Krislite

Medalist
Strawman.

Huh? You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it does. I was merely pointing out that the proliferation of Yuna threads that are surely annoying the likes of Chapis and yourself will cease after Sochi. That's a side comment, sure, but not a "straw man".

As for where this thread belongs, that's up to the mods, but to me there is no clear line between competition vs. non-competition topics. Discussions about skaters, skating and competitions all highly overlap. And in the case of "Korean Nationals", it's obvious the only interest is Yuna's programs and her condition.

minze

Medalist
Huh? You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it does. I was merely pointing out that the proliferation of Yuna threads that are surely annoying the likes of Chapis and yourself will cease after Sochi. That's a side comment, sure, but not a "straw man".

As for where this thread belongs, that's up to the mods, but to me there is no clear line between competition vs. non-competition topics. Discussions about skaters, skating and competitions all highly overlap. And in the case of "Korean Nationals", it's obvious the only interest is Yuna's programs and her condition.

Kris is my first time using that word in this forum, but I will take out my dictionary because this new year I want to be fair and accurate. You see ,you are been unfair to me because no thread about Yuna Kim bothers me. I think Chapis made a valid point about the thread. Also, Kris out all Yuna kim fans in this forum ,I have so mch respect for you because I find you respectful ,but to say that at Korean nationals the only important thing is Yuna Kim is a little much. I am sure the other girls have their fans😄

minze

Medalist

Per your suggestion I looked up straw man and in my humble opinion by saying Chapis is annoyed by Yuna Kim thread is misconstruting her argument because all she said is that why isnt this under Korean nationals

Krislite

Medalist
Kris is my first time using that word in this forum, but I will take out my dictionary because this new year I want to be fair and accurate. You see ,you are been unfair to me because no thread about Yuna Kim bothers me. I think Chapis made a valid point about the thread. Also, Kris out all Yuna kim fans in this forum ,I have so mch respect for you because I find you respectful ,but to say that at Korean nationals the only important thing is Yuna Kim is a little much. I am sure the other girls have their fans😄

A strawman is a counter-argument against another's argument based on a distortion of the original argument. You could at best accuse me of using a "red herring". That is, pointing out something irrelevant to distract from the issue raised by Chapis (which is whether this thread belongs in this forum).

As for the rest of Korean Nationals, I know it's blunt to say the only interest is on Yuna's programs, but I'm not saying the rest of the skaters are not "important". They are surely important to Yuna's legacy. Yet it's a sad truth that none of them draw more than a few dozen fans (who are not friends or relatives) to the rink, even on home ice. Yuna has done a lot to raise their prospects, from financial support to winning them spots to Worlds and Olympics, but until they start getting better and more consistent results internationally, there's only so much she can do to raise their popularity among Koreans and the figure skating world at large.

Until last year when Yuna competed, there were no "tickets" to Korean Nationals--it was a free event. A free event in a rink that had at most a dozen or so seats for an audience.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you thinspread! :rock:

Why don't you lighten up? It's not the end of the world - relax and try to have fun. It's the New Year. If you don't like it then don't take the bother of posting in the thread. Problem solved.

A strawman is a counter-argument against another's argument based on a distortion of the original argument. You could at best accuse me of using a "red herring". That is, pointing out something irrelevant to distract from the issue raised by Chapis (which is whether this thread belongs in this forum).

As for the rest of Korean Nationals, I know it's blunt to say the only interest is on Yuna's programs, but I'm not saying the rest of the skaters are not "important". They are surely important to Yuna's legacy. Yet it's a sad truth that none of them draw more than a few dozen fans (who are not friends or relatives) to the rink, even on home ice. Yuna has done a lot to raise their prospects, from financial support to winning them spots to Worlds and Olympics, but until they start getting better and more consistent results internationally, there's only so much she can do to raise their popularity among Koreans and the figure skating world at large.

Until last year when Yuna competed, there were no "tickets" to Korean Nationals--it was a free event. A free event in a rink that had at most a dozen or so seats for an audience.

This - in a nutshell.

thinspread

On the Ice
For those interested, there's a single thread on Korean Nationals in Other Nationals section. FYI Korean ladies figure skating delegation for Sochi Olympics has been already decided, regardless of the outcome of Korean Nationals. It will be Yuna Kim, Soyeon Park and Haejin Kim.

I posted a separate thread on Yuna, since I thought there would be members and visitors particularly interested in finding out Yuna's updated condition and preparation for the Olympics.

Off-topic, some Youtube vids recently uploaded by IOC for Vancouver recap and Sochi promotion featuring Yuna Kim and other athletes:
Inspiration Without Borders
Spectacular World & Olympic Record - Yuna Kim
Yuna Kim in Vancouver

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
There's a thread for Korean Nationals, but I thought it's worth a separate one.

Partial footage of Yuna's FS run through during official practice today:
http://news.sbs.co.kr/section_news/news_read.jsp?news_id=N1002162650

Some small changes in the routine, and it I think looks better than at Golden Spin.

ETA: For people having difficulty playing the video clip linked above, here's a Youtube link for the same video (kindly provided by Krislite):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgrv8lAOPE

Thanks for this thinspread. Consider 200,000 applied for these tickets for only 3000 seats in just round 1, I'd say this Korea nationals is the hottest ticket in town. Beside Yuna, I am really curious to see how So Youn Park and Hae Jin Kim manage to improve from last. I think Park has a lot of potential based on her progress these last 2 years.

The antis need to chill out a bit... spend all the time complaining just cry sour grapes. There's only a few weeks till the Olympic, it will get more extreme in the main stream media. Consider the Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8 thread has garnered some 76,000+ views already here on the same main forum area for a B competition, I'd say that is pretty impressive and totally justify any Yuna threads that brings in good ad revenue to support this forum. In any case I am excited by the new improvements of Adios, and her stamina seems visibly improving, hope the competition turn out well.