Rachael Flatt news | Golden Skate

Rachael Flatt news

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
She is skating at US nationals next week. Her only international competition this season was Cup of Nice and she had to qualify for nationals through regionals and sectionals. She took off most of last season due to injury.

Icey

Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to seeing her skate too. Hope she does well.

Crystallize

On the Ice
I really can't wait to see her skate at Nationals. As long as she does her best, she can say that at least she tried. I hope she has a performance that she can be proud of.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
I guess she's definitely retiring. I hope she stays involved with skating through medicine/training. Good luck to her in medical school!

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

All I see is the title and some survey. What is the gist of the article?

eta: I found part of it on this other site: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24841117/rachel-flatt-leads-public-ice-skating-event-colorados

COLORADO SPRINGS — Rachael Flatt says she is at her best when she is really busy. The 2010 Cheyenne Mountain High School graduate knows. You can trust the 2010 Olympian on this.

Her extracurricular commitments as a junior class president at Stanford and a Alpha Phi sorority member and challenging academic work as a pre-med student is enough to overwhelm most.

She is excited to begin life after figure skating after about three years of battling injuries. She wants to enjoy this final season before she retires to focus on medical school.

Part of her transition to life after figure skating is why Flatt led a public skate Thursday that drew about 110 people to Honnen Ice Arena on the Colorado College campus. It served as a fundraiser for the Memorial Hospital Foundation.

Nice news about Rachael. She's contributed a lot to U.S. skating and will be one of those skaters like Debi Thomas and Michelle Kwan whose second act is as good as, or even better than, her first. I am thrilled to read of her future plans.

Crystallize

On the Ice
It is only I appreciate much my sleep hours, i only want stay awake watching skating. :p

Well, yeah, Med school can ruin that. :laugh:........:cry:

I also wish Rachael the best of luck! If it's something that she truly wants, then she'll make it. :)

Jedi

On the Ice
Medical school isn't that bad, neither is law. If you are called you will survive. Besides figure skating gives you good no excellent discipline. Waking up early, working hard, having to stay focussed all good for difficult careers and training. I hope Rachel enjoys her final nationals.

noskates

Record Breaker
Going to any college and trying to be an elite figure skater is daunting. Going to Stanford pushes it up a notch. I give her major props for sticking with it through this season. I'm sure she wanted to skate better than she did but after she finished her LP she waved to the crowd and it was clear that was her last time on competitive ice. She got a standing ovation and was given the homage she deserved. I think she went out with class - if not with a medal. I wish her all the luck for a satisfying and prosperous career.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Flatt was an overachiever who had a very nice career for herself in international skating, and did better than skaters with far more natural talent (Zhang, Nagasu) and about equal to Wagner thus far who also has far more natural talent. She can be brought of what she did in the sport 2008-2011.