Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir Reality TV Show on W | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir Reality TV Show on W

As several people have said, tastes vary. I think Davis/White look as if they do enjoy skating together. But the connection between them is different from the one between Virtue and Moir, which is fine with me. Who'd want two sets of clones?

As several people have said, tastes vary. I think Davis/White look as if they do enjoy skating together. But the connection between them is different from the one between Virtue and Moir, which is fine with me. Who'd want two sets of clones?

:clap: My thoughts precisely!! I like a little spice in my life, haha.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It's odd because I just went back and watched 4 episodes of it today (blah rainy day here), and I find it to be such a revealing show, probably in ways neither Tessa or Scott necessarily intended.

Marlie are so quintessentially American in their style. It's different in kind from traditional European dancing. Think of the three really indigenous forms of American dance--tap, jazz and hip-hop. It's looser, more about rhythm than flow. Does that make it intrinsically inferior to more classical (aka European) forms of dance? Not one iota. BOTH are wonderful, each in their own way. Same with the Marlie/Voir rivalry. BOTH had their individual style, BOTH were immensely entertaining. And it is and will always be one of the BEST rivalries in ALL of sport.

I would love to see a special "post Olympics" show. Say one hour long. Won't happen, but wouldn't it marvelous?

Weak Ankles I would love to see a special on both teams! :)

And I agree with your perspective on their show. I've only made it through 4 episodes so far. And while some stuff is scripted or set-up, there are some real moments too I think. I think that the parts that seem very genuine and revealing are interesting because those are the moments when some of their weaknesses or issues or personal stuff are shown or spoken about.

It's odd because I just went back and watched 4 episodes of it today (blah rainy day here), and I find it to be such a revealing show, probably in ways neither Tessa or Scott necessarily intended.

Marlie are so quintessentially American in their style. It's different in kind from traditional European dancing. Think of the three really indigenous forms of American dance--tap, jazz and hip-hop. It's looser, more about rhythm than flow. Does that make it intrinsically inferior to more classical (aka European) forms of dance? Not one iota. BOTH are wonderful, each in their own way. Same with the Marlie/Voir rivalry. BOTH had their individual style, BOTH were immensely entertaining. And it is and will always be one of the BEST rivalries in ALL of sport.

I would love to see a special "post Olympics" show. Say one hour long. Won't happen, but wouldn't it marvelous?

Oh, yeah, Ankles! That would be a great show to see.

Yes, the rivalry has been splendid, one of the best ever. And, unlike some skating rivalries of the past (in all disciplines), both sets of rivals ended up with an OGM and several world championships. So no one lost out, including the fans.

Panpie

On the Ice

Agreed. And, aren't we allowed to like both teams?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh, yeah, Ankles! That would be a great show to see.

Yes, the rivalry has been splendid, one of the best ever. And, unlike some skating rivalries of the past (in all disciplines), both sets of rivals ended up with an OGM and several world championships. So no one lost out, including the fans.

Agreed! And I think most fans can appreciate that they're two fantastic ice dancing teams regardless of nationality/partisanship. They've really elevated the sport, and IMO made ice dancing way more appealing to the masses.

So I just watched episode 5 (finally!)... And I have to say, I just feel a little bad for Tessa. When they were on the boat looking at the Eiffel Tower, I just feel like it's a really big concern for her that they won't be close once all of the post-Olymic buzz and SOI and everything else settles....And I think she'd like to be.
Also, I get where Scott is coming from with compartmentalizing his life, esp. with Cassandra. But....it's also a little odd she'd never ever met Tessa, considering what a big part of his like she is currently....

I don't know if there's any grain of truth to it, but the show paints Tessa as putting her romantic life on hold (which she's basically said as well) and then the show eludes to the fact that maybe it's been on hold too because she likes Scott? I feel like if it's true that's something sort of raw/personal that I wouldn't want painted for tons of viewers to see; and if it's totally hogwash , then I'd just be a little ticked for the misrepresentation, lol.

CanadianSkaterguy - Yes! They will soooo be missed in my book. At least I knew there would be two teams that would always really bring their a-games and push the sport to new levels.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Agreed. And, aren't we allowed to like both teams?

Of course you are. I find ubers so dull with their insistence that not liking Skater X or Team Y is tantamount to heresy. I have a friend who is a painter who once told me, If you like paintings of Elvis on black velvet, then revel in your enjoyment. Life is hard enough, y'know?

Like I said, snowflakebeautiful, revealing and interesting in ways I think neither of them intended...

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Hahaha, after seeing them on "Tessa and Scott" I searched to see if they were an off-ice couple too, lol. However, from what I can find they are not a couple. BUT - They do live in an apartment together and split up household stuff (he cooks). And she and her Mother have spent the past two Christmases at his family's home... In addition, they seem to do most things together....so....they're still an intrigue to me, lol

This question has been asked on many of the dance threads here recently, including the ones in the Worlds forum. W&P have said they are not a couple, and I take their word on that. I guess time will tell whether that changes or whether there are other reasons as to why they are not a couple. Some skating teams may live together for financial reasons because of the cost of living in another country during training.

W&P do kind of come across as acting as a couple sometimes, but then so do Canada's other dance teams, and some of the pairs. A good dance or pairs team will have moments where the audience will think they are a couple because they become integrated with one another and do end up seeming married. That's what is different about skating partnerships - you are not just skating together and becoming a couple on ice, but traveling around the world together, going through ups & downs together, dealing with pain & injury, etc.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice

I completely agree with your post, WeakAnkles! I've enjoyed and admired the two teams for different reasons, respected both, but preferred D/W. I always found V/M to be graceful, smooth and elegant, and you could tell they must have had a lot of classical dance instruction over the years. The D/W routines I love the most were fast, dynamic and exciting. The story just unfolded before your eyes.

A special with both teams would be MAGIC!!!

Vera Costa

Rinkside
Also, I get where Scott is coming from with compartmentalizing his life, esp. with Cassandra. But....it's also a little odd she'd never ever met Tessa, considering what a big part of his like she is currently....

Yeah, I think considering that Cassandra was spotted sitting with both families at nationals last year, this is probably one of those scripted parts.

If you watch fan cams of the gala practices of V/M, it always seems as if Scott is the more affectionate and attentive one. So I found it interesting at the way the show portrays him. All four of them actually. I've always thought that in the more 'uber' parts of the fandoms, Scott and Meryl generally end to be th bigger targets for ire. It's like the show took those opinions of both people and ran with them. On the other hand, the love for Tessa and Charlie has increased, especially after the Olympics.

Something else I've found interesting is that the show doee seem to portray one partner being more interested than the other, you can read it as either romantic or not. Some on twitter compared it to how on DWTS, there seems to be an inclination of portraying Charlie as disinterested while Meryl is very invested. But again, I was watching not only the competition practices, but the gala and show practices as well and those give off a ver different impression where both girls seem more serious while the guys are goofballs!

I've been catching up on interviews, and while still in Sochi, Tessa mentions them going to watch the show on the flight back but in every interview after getting back they both say they haven't seen it yet and the probably won't get time to for a while. Also, for all the time the show spends on Cassandra, she and Scott have now split up.

I don't think we'll ever know what the relationehip is like between V & M (and D & W). Even with the media attention, the words 'unique' and 'different' are very prevailent. Setting aside the reality show and such, I've always appreciated that they presented a united front, the lack of drama and just the display of relationships with respect and trust as foundations. Same goes with D/W. Whenever I think about all that had to have fallen into place for both couples to have survived and succeeded for 17 years, it really is amazing. Other couples can learn from the drive, work ethic and committment to making things work.

Vera Costa I figured it was scripted! Just like I figured she didn't sit alone while watching them in Paris.

I agree with you that I think producers knew the beliefs and general gossip amongst ubers; and capitalized on it during this show. I really don't think Meryl was sending them dirty looks at practices all the time just for being there. (Let's face it, despite the fact that V/M said constantly on the show that it's weird that they train with their biggest competitors - it's really not that weird if you know the interconnectedness of the FS world.)
In addition, I feel like Scott has some definite affectionate and attentive moments on the ice with Tessa, especially at competitions. But, it seems like their off ice relationship is different than when they're on the ice - so maybe that's true when cameras aren't around too... But, on all of the interviews I've seen of them recently, they both seem really in-sync.

Yes, I do feel the show portrayed it as one of them having more of an interest... But, at the same time, I feel like the show also made it look like Scott was maybe interested and didn't want to share Tessa's attention with another guy.
- Personally, I feel like that is not the best comparison of the two teams...just because the nature of "Tessa and Scott" and DWTS is just so vastly different as to air time, and what is shown, etc.

Yeah...I feel for them about not wanting to watch it... If I were them, I'd probably sob just because it'd solidify that competing and the life I'd known for so many years was really changing. (And I'm not sure that I believe they're fully ready and okay to saying goodbye to FS based on their recent interviews.)

I had no idea Scott and Cassandra split up, but I am not surprised at all. There scenes made me uncomfortable - they just seemed phony for various reasons.

I agree. I don't think we'll ever get a good idea of what their relationships are like. I really commend them for sustaining a relationship for this long - and they seem like healthy-enough relationships. Anyways, I need to move on to episode six already, haha O:)

Alba

Record Breaker
I love V&M and finished watching the first episode. I'm sorry to say this but I think it's weird, it looks and feels like fake.
I've just seen the first episode though, maybe it becomes better.

I love V&M and I'm watching the first episode. I'm sorry to say this but I think it's weird and looks&feels fake. Just the first episode though, maybe it becomes better.

Hello, Alba! I'm not done yet... But, the first episode is definitely not one of the best - in general I feel that -so far- it has gotten better. :) I mean each episode has its moments, but the first episode just seemed overtly full of them, imo......I'm not sure if it got better or I just expected those moments as I kept watching....lol

Alba

Record Breaker
Hello, Alba! I'm not done yet... But, the first episode is definitely not one of the best - in general I feel that -so far- it has gotten better. :) I mean each episode has its moments, but the first episode just seemed overtly full of them, imo......I'm not sure if it got better or I just expected those moments as I kept watching....lol

:biggrin:

As you said, V/M saying that it's weird that they train with their biggest competitors it's bollocks, when it comes to FS.
See K&P, U&Z, G&P, K&P, and many others.
Plus, Tessa saying she doesn't know how to flirt and was touching him as if she was doing that for the first time? This is four years after Vancouver, and after this hot stuff? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xy8Scw8ZeI Really?! :cool:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I had no idea Scott and Cassandra split up, but I am not surprised at all. There scenes made me uncomfortable - they just seemed phony for various reasons.

There may be any number of reasons why that storyline with Cassandra was introduced into the series. It could have been suggested by the producers. But it didn't seem like a close relationship, and I think she admitted she didn't have a lot of confidence or experience with relationships, or something along those lines.

But it didn't seem like a close relationship, and I think she admitted she didn't have a lot of confidence or experience with relationships, or something along those lines.

I agree with this! I feel like perhaps producers wanted it on the show for some reason....but it didn't seem like a close relationship (despite the fact that I think for the show it was supposed to be?); and many of the phone scenes and "I love you's" (or lack there of when he or she left the other hanging) seemed a bit forced or something.

Alba Yeah, agreed, haha! ....And the flirting...I personally think it's probably bollocks as well...BUT, I will say this - I've done lots of plays and danced; and during either of those things I could get into character and totally portray someone else because it was like I was a different person. So, maybe in real life she isn't a natural flirt or even comfortable with it? Who knows....personally, I thought she seemed aware of and okay with guys hitting on her and interacted with them fine.

Shoot! I don't mean to double post....but episode six and seven seem to be through a different website than episodes one through five; and I keep getting asked to register and such. Does anyone know how to circumvent this issue? I thought maybe it was just ad issues...but then I tried episode five again and it took me back to the normal website and played fine... :cry: I'll be so upset if the last two episodes won't work, lol....it's like missing the part in the cutting edge where he returns to the rink after they've had a massive blow up.......teasing, obvi. It'll be way worse than that!

Alba

Record Breaker
I've done lots of plays and danced; and during either of those things I could get into character and totally portray someone else because it was like I was a different person. So, maybe in real life she isn't a natural flirt or even comfortable with it?

That's fine, totally agree with you. My point is that she was acting like she didn't know what to do about the performance. The guy, the ballroom champion, was "teaching" them how to flirt on ice and she was acting like it was the first time for her.
I find that hard to belive tbh.

Who knows....personally, I thought she seemed aware of and okay with guys hitting on her and interacted with them fine

She might not be the most extroverted woman out there, but I do think she is very much a gattona (catwoman), as we say here in Italy. ;)