Fan vs Fanatic | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Fan vs Fanatic

mikeko666

Final Flight
With all due respect, I find it hard to believe the majority of dislikes are from Yu Na fans. As much as I love Akiko, I cant imagine any sane Yu Na fan who has ever viewed Suzuki as a rival of any kind to Kim, or one now either. I am shocked at the high number of dislikes though. I think if anything it would more likely be upset Mao fans who are shocked with how Nationals went down. It could be neutral fans who dont like the score (which is stupid given the inflated Nationals scoring from every country, she certainly deserved a higher score than either Julia or Adelina got at Russian Nationals). I think quite likely it could be Miki Ando fans who largely seemed to think Miki could waltz right back and take old Suzuki's spot on the team no problem, and instead Miki had to compose herself and skate after Suzuki all but shut the door on her making the team before her long program even began. Who knows really, but I highly doubt it would be Yu Na fans unless they are a far more paranoid and bizarre group of individuals than I imagined.

I dont see any real skating fan could dislike that though. It was an exceptional performance and is probably the best moment in figure skating in years from an emotional standpoint.

Read those comments made by Koreans using Google translation. Their user names and/or comments are in hangeul, so it's easy to spot.

Suzuki's video didn't get so many dislikes when she won NHK in 2011.

cosmos

On the Ice
Read those comments made by Koreans using Google translation. Their user names and/or comments are in hangeul, so it's easy to spot.

Do you know that many of Korean comments are positive ones? I see only small number of negative comments. Don't you think some YuNa uber fans may have been pleased when Akikko beat Mao?

mikeko666

Final Flight
Don't you think some YuNa uber fans may have been pleased when Akikko beat Mao?

As long as Suzuki doesn't become a threat to Kim. Yes, they were quite sympathetic to Suzuki when she lost 2012 NHK to Asada by 0.05.

RABID

Final Flight
Do you know that many of Korean comments are positive ones? I see only small number of negative comments. Don't you think some YuNa uber fans may have been pleased when Akikko beat Mao?

I know I wasn't bothered by Akiko beating Mao :biggrin: (edited for clarity) :slink:

Krislite

Medalist
Leaving Suzuki more vulnerable? I don't think so. I guess her fans are more mature and intelligent. It's total waste of time dealing with those idiotic "nationalistic zealots" who are giving Korea a bad name in public.

If you understand Japanese, you will find remarks from Asada fans as nasty as those comments by Koreans on Youtube. This is nothing new to Suzuki, really. Basically Maobots and Yuna fans are really alike.

By "vulnerable" I mean that she has far fewer fans who would forcefully defend her unlike Mao or Yuna. They feel freer to attack her as a consequence.

Krislite

Medalist
With all due respect, I find it hard to believe the majority of dislikes are from Yu Na fans. As much as I love Akiko, I cant imagine any sane Yu Na fan who has ever viewed Suzuki as a rival of any kind to Kim, or one now either. I am shocked at the high number of dislikes though. I think if anything it would more likely be upset Mao fans who are shocked with how Nationals went down. It could be neutral fans who dont like the score (which is stupid given the inflated Nationals scoring from every country, she certainly deserved a higher score than either Julia or Adelina got at Russian Nationals). I think quite likely it could be Miki Ando fans who largely seemed to think Miki could waltz right back and take old Suzuki's spot on the team no problem, and instead Miki had to compose herself and skate after Suzuki all but shut the door on her making the team before her long program even began. Who knows really, but I highly doubt it would be Yu Na fans unless they are a far more paranoid and bizarre group of individuals than I imagined.

I dont see any real skating fan could dislike that though. It was an exceptional performance and is probably the best moment in figure skating in years from an emotional standpoint.

True. We don't know where those 700 negative ratings came from since there were only a few dozen comments in total, only some of which were by Koreans. On the other hand, she did upset several heavy favorites for the Nationals title. Very inconclusive either way, I feel.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Most of the awful comments under YuNa's FS are from the Koreans. I guess they will never like Mao, nor any other skater. These fans make YuNa look bad. No wonder she has a huge entourage, body guard flotilla. Unhinged fanatics must chase her everywhere. It is too bad she broke with Orser, or the mother more accurately. Canada was clearly a place where she was free to be herself, and skated her best years. I am shocked, but then when I see the behavior of the "mob" on GS and how pushy...I guess nothing surprises me. Perhaps it is for the best the retirements coming soon.:no:

I am sorry but your obsession with Yu Na Kim and Yu Na Kim fans has become scary. It is 10 times worse than any so called Yu Na Kim uber I have seen (although I dont bother reading comments on youtube, only a bunch of losers would hang out there or go there for anything other than watching interesting videos that others were kind enough to post).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

OK I will do that sometime today just to see what you are talking about, although as I said the last thing I like to waste my time on is commenting or going through comments made by youtube losers who actually waste time posting on youtube.

All I can say is that I am a fan of both Yu Na and Akiko and that I am a bigger fan of Akiko than Yu Na, and nothing would make me happier than something crazy like Akiko winning the Olympic Gold with 160 points in her long program. However I can also say beyond a shadow of doubt I never considered Akiko a threat to Yu Na (and I am someone who would like if she were) and even after her amazing Nationals showing I still dont. Given the way the judges view both, Yu Na would have to bomb badly to lose to Akiko in any head to head competition. The only skater who is a potential threat to Yu Na is Mao if she somehow go through a program with all her difficulty better than almost ever. Akiko is a potential threat to anyone but Yu Na if she skates as well as Nationals, but not to Yu Na. That is my objective viewpoint from the side as someone who likes both, so if there are indeed Yu Na fans who fear Akiko than I can only say they are overly paranoid and delusional individuals who are indeed probably fanatical over Yu Na, the way most of the losers who waste time posting on youtube are fanatical about something or another. As I dont have the mental makeup to think along the same lines as such stupid individuals though I could not relate to their train of thought.

mikeko666

Final Flight
All I can say is that I am a fan of both Yu Na and Akiko and that I am a bigger fan of Akiko than Yu Na, and nothing would make me happier than something crazy like Akiko winning the Olympic Gold with 160 points in her long program. However I can also say beyond a shadow of doubt I never considered Akiko a threat to Yu Na (and I am someone who would like if she were) and even after her amazing Nationals showing I still dont. Given the way the judges view both, Yu Na would have to bomb badly to lose to Akiko in any head to head competition. The only skater who is a potential threat to Yu Na is Mao if she somehow go through a program with all her difficulty better than almost ever. Akiko is a potential threat to anyone but Yu Na if she skates as well as Nationals, but not to Yu Na. That is my objective viewpoint from the side as someone who likes both, so if there are indeed Yu Na fans who fear Akiko than I can only say they are overly paranoid and delusional individuals who are indeed probably fanatical over Yu Na, the way most of the losers who waste time posting on youtube are fanatical about something or another. As I dont have the mental makeup to think along the same lines as such stupid individuals though I could not relate to their train of thought.

I agree, if they both skate at Sochi like they did at their nationals, Kim still will win FS. As you wrote, it's all about how the judges view the skaters, not how well the skaters perform. Bombing Kim still will beat perfect Suzuki just like Asada won 2012 NHK.

I am still surprised that JSF let Suzuki win the national. I thought she was the last skater they would want to give a national title, and am sure I was not alone. I bet Asada's sponsors, which are big corporations, aren't happy. Japan Airlines even made wrapped airplanes for her assuming she was going to win. It's amusing how Japanese major media have been ignoring Suzuki even after she won at the national as if it never happened.

cosmos

On the Ice
OK I will do that sometime today just to see what you are talking about, although as I said the last thing I like to waste my time on is commenting or going through comments made by youtube losers who actually waste time posting on youtube.

As you described well, most YuNa fans do not consider Akikko a threat. And, there was no reason YuNa fans were unhappy when Akikko beat Mao, and there is no reason YuNa fans leave hate comments on the Akikko video.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
As you described well, most YuNa fans do not consider Akikko a threat. And, there was no reason YuNa fans were unhappy when Akikko beat Mao, and there is no reason YuNa fans leave hate comments on the Akikko video.

Perhaps, in general, no rational reason is needed. Sometimes, people purposely misconstrue what they see because they don't want to admit that they were wrong or don't necessarily like change that upsets the balance of "their" world.

miki88

Medalist
Lol how do you even know for sure the nationality of the posters? It's pretty easy to disguise oneself under a foreign username. It's useless to guess which group of ubers is behind the comments. As a general rule, it's is always good to close out the comment section, because the comment section of almost every skating video featuring well-known skaters that I've seen are filled with trollish arguments.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Lol how do you even know for sure the nationality of the posters? It's pretty easy to disguise oneself under a foreign username. It's useless to guess which group of ubers is behind the comments. As a general rule, it's is always good to close out the comment section, because the comment section of almost every skating video featuring well-known skaters that I've seen are filled with trollish arguments.

Is Korean a easy language to learn? I can download and install Korean IME, but have no idea how to use it. You must be a linguistic genius.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Is Korean a easy language to learn? I can download and install Korean IME, but have no idea how to use it. You must be a linguistic genius.

Well, you could always copy and paste what other people write. They comments don't necessarily have to be in Japanese or Korean as I've seen many in improper English. Probably a way to spread negativity as far as possible.

Robeye

Final Flight
Interestingly enough, Korean and Japanese are, grammatically, as well as in their reliance on Chinese loanwords, more similar to each other than to any other language.

I've spent extended periods in both countries, and I have noticed that Japanese and Koreans tend to be able to learn each other's languages much more quickly and easily than anyone else.

:)

RABID

Final Flight
Interestingly enough, Korean and Japanese are, grammatically, as well as in their reliance on Chinese loanwords, more similar to each other than to any other language.

I've spent extended periods in both countries, and I have noticed that Japanese and Koreans tend to be able to learn each other's languages much more quickly and easily than anyone else.

Thank you. I wanted to ask that very thing. I recall something about how when a younger Mao and YuNa were together for interviews in Japan Mao good-naturedly teased YuNa about a cross-language homonym she made whereby her word accidentally meant something funny in Japanese. Got me wondering just how similar the two languages were.

miki88

Medalist
Hmm I think they are both similar to the Chinese language, more so than to each other. There are words in Korean that sound very similar to their equivalent in Chinese. The Japanese language sound less similar but there are many Chinese characters found in Kanji.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Hmm I think they are both similar to the Chinese language, more so than to each other. There are words in Korean that sound very similar to their equivalent in Chinese. The Japanese language sound less similar but there are many Chinese characters found in Kanji.
I disagree. Not only do they share a lot of Chinese-derived compound words that would sound strange in Mandarin, but Chinese grammar is very far off either language.

mikeko666

Final Flight

Learning how to speak may not be so difficult, but writing/typing would be another story. Koreans now use hangeul (Korean alphabet) only. (They used to use Chinese characters too, but not anymore.) Japanese has two sets of Japanese alphabets (hiragana and katakana) and Chines characters (kanji).

Japanese and Korean have similar grammars, which is very different from English. I guess those two languages have a same origin. Chinese grammar is more similar to English than to Japanese/Korean. Because Chinese and Japanese use Chinese characters, it's possible to understand meaning even though you can't pronounce correctly. Pronunciation in Chinese is much more complex than Japanese/Korean.

sporkwhatspork

Rinkside
Ooh, we're talking about linguistics? Great, I love linguistics.

Korean is actually considered by many linguists to be a language isolate, which means that it is unrelated to any other language today, including Japanese. It's actually pretty amazing to think about, especially when you consider that most other language isolates out there are either dead or in danger of dying. Korean, with over 70 million (?) speakers, has more than every other language isolate combined.

That said, some people have proposed that Korean is actually related to the Altaic languages, which would include Japanese. But no definite connection has been established; I believe that Korean is still officially considered an isolate at this point.

Korean did borrow a lot of words from Chinese, and I'd be interested in knowing whether Japan's previous imperialism/colonization of Korea had any effect on the language.