13 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA
14 Lynn KRIENGKRAIRUT / Logan GIULIETTI-SCHMITT USA
15 Elizaveta TRETIAKOV / Viktor KOVALENKO UZB

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Anyone wants to make some predictions?
Mine: Lady's gold goes to Kanako;
Pairs gold: Siu/Han or Yu/Jin:think:

Canada only sending two pairs because they don't have a third team with the minimum scores because of Skate Canada not allowing their teams to freely enter international events. Honestly... :rolleye:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Suprised to see that Kanako is listed for this competition.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Anyone wants to make some predictions?
Mine: Lady's gold goes to Kanako;
Pairs gold: Siu/Han or Yu/Jin:think:

Yup, I see Kanako winning, with at least 1 American lady on the podium (hopefully Sammi :) ), if not 2

The pairs bronze is wide open; Alexa and Chris could easily get it if they get it together in time

I see Hubbell & Donohue winning Dance, followed by Gilles & Poirier, and the bronze going to either Aldridge & Eaton or Lynn & Logan

Men....IDK

GF2445

Record Breaker
Wow. Look at that men's entry list. The isu need to lower the min tcs to allow more pairs to go. Australia has a senior pair team that would love to go to four continents and new zealand have a damce team that would also love to compete.

Becki

Medalist
China (any part of the country) is very close geographically to Taipei, so it's worthwhile sending your best team for one last competition before the Olympics.

Seems like a good roster!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
China (any part of the country) is very close geographically to Taipei, so it's worthwhile sending your best team for one last competition before the Olympics.

Seems like a good roster!

It also looks like the federation is still deciding who exactly they should send to Sochi, especially between Nan Song and Han Yan for men. And I predict Yan is going to do better.:biggrin:

Becki

Medalist
It also looks like the federation is still deciding who exactly they should send to Sochi, especially between Nan Song and Han Yan for men. And I predict Yan is going to do better.:biggrin:

Oh no, I heard that the Chinese federation has already nominated Han Yan to the Winter Olympics. The 4CC results will not count towards the Olympic qualifications except for maybe the ladies' final spot - Kexin Zhang has already been named, there's one more spot left.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I see Hubbell & Donohue winning Dance, followed by Gilles & Poirier, and the bronze going to either Aldridge & Eaton or Lynn & Logan

I hope Gilles & Poirier win, but you may be right that Hubbell & Donohue will win since overall they may be a slightly stronger team.

Ironically though, if you match up the two men, it's Poirier who is the strongest. He has far more experience (Olympics, Worlds etc.) than Donohue.

Be interesting to see Gilles competing against her former partner, but she's with the better of the 2 boys! :)

Gliding on ice

Rinkside

Yan is already nominated to go the Olympics, and he will NOT compete at 4CC (he probably just wants to focus on preparing for Sochi).

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Canada only sending two pairs because they don't have a third team with the minimum scores because of Skate Canada not allowing their teams to freely enter international events. Honestly... :rolleye:
I was hoping maybe there would be one spot TBA that could be filled by whoever won Junior Pairs this week, or the junior pair that finished highest in the Seasons Best Scores, which would be Seguin/Bilodeau, but looks like that isn't happening

(Is there much difference in requirements for junior and senior pairs programs, that this would have even been possible?)

joannix

Rinkside
I hope Gilles & Poirier win, but you may be right that Hubbell & Donohue will win since overall they may be a slightly stronger team.

Ironically though, if you match up the two men, it's Poirier who is the strongest. He has far more experience (Olympics, Worlds etc.) than Donohue.

Be interesting to see Gilles competing against her former partner, but she's with the better of the 2 boys! :)

Hahahaha!!! you are so right!!!! Should I say that after D/W & V/M retire H/D & G/P will be my top fav north american ice dancers??? Of course I hope 2 more seasons for W/P because I also like them!!! :cool:

joannix

Rinkside
Ohh and another curious fact is that H/D free dance is the same as using Paul with his former partner Vanessa Crone 4 years ago in Olys Vancouver 2010 :p

conga

On the Ice
Ohh and another curious fact is that H/D free dance is the same as using Paul with his former partner Vanessa Crone 4 years ago in Olys Vancouver 2010 :p

OMG! I know I am in and out a lot, but I didn't realize how really out of it I was! So, I imagine I missed discussion about it at some point. After checking out C/P's performance, I am very sad to say I have lost quite a bit of respect for H/D and their team because of it. I know they have done a nice job and there is no copyright with choreography blah, blah, blah, but still...SO :disapp:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
How similar is the choreography of H&D's Free Dance compared to that of C&P in 2010? I don't think I've seen H&D's FD this year. Is it just the music that is the same, or are they also skating to the same narrative choreography of Orpheus & Eurydice?

I'm assuming it's not a deliberate attempt to start a rivalry!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh no, I heard that the Chinese federation has already nominated Han Yan to the Winter Olympics. The 4CC results will not count towards the Olympic qualifications except for maybe the ladies' final spot - Kexin Zhang has already been named, there's one more spot left.

Yeah the last spot for the ladies should have gone to Zijun, but she is a weird situation, I am not even sure if Li Ming Zhu (National coach, and ex coach to Chen Lu) is still named as her coach and Zijun has been away from ice for so long. The 4CC will be an eye opener to how she fairs with the likes of Kanako, Mirai etc...

I am personally quite excited by this competition, I really look forward to see how Mirai can pick herself up from recent dismissals, it will be a real test for her. I look forward to a number of skaters there, beside return of Mirai, Isadora Williams of Brazil, Park of Korea, Melanie Chang of Taipei who did better than I thought at recent Golden Spin, will be curious how they fair with the Japanese ladies. Can't count Samantha Cesario out, she is a real performer. Taipei is another one of my fav cities (very cool night life), hope the skater get to enjoy at least some night life there maybe after competitions, check out the night markets, Karaoke joints, and there are some amazing Japanese food there, some even better than the ones I had in Japan.

blancanieves

On the Ice
How similar is the choreography of H&D's Free Dance compared to that of C&P in 2010? I don't think I've seen H&D's FD this year. Is it just the music that is the same, or are they also skating to the same narrative choreography of Orpheus & Eurydice?

I'm assuming it's not a deliberate attempt to start a rivalry!

Oddly enough G/P is using music from the Hitchcock soundtrack, which Piper and Zach had used during their 2009-2010 season. But, I think everyone in figure skating is too busy to be playing games. Some music pieces just get recycled simply because they're good vehicles to skate/dance to. They may have a great rhythm, musical structure, character, etc. It happens all the time. The Lucia Micarelli violin piece is really beautiful and I can see why H/D chose it if their goal this season was to create something lyrical.

Comparing the FDs, there is no plagiarism. If anyone sees similarities is perhaps because good choreographers would tend to generally recognize the main elements of a piece of music and address them. It's obvious, at least to me, that everything in H/D's program was developed in an organic way to highlight their strengths (which wouldn't be the same as C/P). The elements, layout and transitions are different. There is no literal narrative, it has an abstract mood. They just create a really beautiful effect of continuous flow and constant speed. A pretty difficult feat to achieve BTW. I wish the commentators would speak more to the technical skill that that requires as opposed to only praising how 'touching' or 'beautiful' the program is.

joannix

Rinkside
I think I agree with u Snowwhite..oppps Blancanieves...:p though there could´ve been similarities in some cuts of their choreography I think both team have marked their own signature which is good!! I wish I see the program Piper and Zach did when they were juniors?:think: However I still feel in awe everytime I see the Hitchcock program made by Piper and Paul :yay: