In the history of the Olympics, was anyone robbed? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

In the history of the Olympics, was anyone robbed?

thvudragon

On the Ice
Callystarr said:

***1980 Olympics***
Linda Fratianne clearly outskated German lady, saw both programs on a tape and Linda was so much better to me.
I saw them too via Rinkside, and I must say, I think Fratianne is one of the most boring skaters I've ever seen. I think the term "So-so silver" is correct for her :laugh:.

TV

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Brian Orser - 1984 - He had a brilliant short and long program, but unfortunately Scott was first in the figures and as Brian would admit today "figures were not his strong suit." Still he outskated Hamilton.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Brian Orser - 1984 - He had a brilliant short and long program, but unfortunately Scott was first in the figures and as Brian would admit today "figures were not his strong suit." Still he outskated Hamilton.

Well, it's not really a robbery just because Hamilton won because of the lead he had in figures. That was the way the competition was, and Orser himself admits he wasn't strong at figures. It would have been a robbery if Orser placed below Hamilton in the SP and LP, and he didn't.

citrus

Rinkside
I feel that T&D did get "robbed" and they protested the results. Their reasoning was that the others violated the "24 sec" rule (or maybe a shorter time?) and so should be disqualified. The rules are now changed after the fact which makes me try to figure if the skaters are doing pairs or dancing skating at times. In fact, "dancing" now look more & more like pairs except for the jumps.

Never was impressed by Nancy K's skating & wonder why I hear comments about her technical abilities. Anyway, I remember that Tara had beaten MK because of technical & not presentation.

Which brings up a point regarding the "flutz". As I don't know whether either Tara or Sara do a 3flutz, it would mean that they also violated the rules at that time if the flutzes were done. If the CoP says the flutz is legitmate now, it is after the fact, just like the "rules interpretation" in the case of T&D.

If replay is now available, I just wonder if "instant replay" have ever been used in the GP. The results seem awfully quick if the replay was used unless the TV had done some cutting on the taped shows

Just have to add that rules also changed in football during the game. e.g. placement of the ball were supposed depend on where the player's knee touched the ground for the "downs". but it doesn't apply to touchdowns as only the ball need to cross the goal-line. Ridiculus.

Last edited:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
raised on robbery

ITA re: Paul Wylie, Nancy K..

I can't recall the content as some of you can - I wish I had tapes, but I was amazed by Liz Manley's skakte. She was a dynamo. Another petite skater Roz Sumners lost by 1/10th of a point to Witt in 1984.

Can anyone recall how their skates compared to Kat's? She was georgeous and a great skater, and it seemed to me there was no way she would not receive gold. Did she really outskate those 2 ladies in 1984 and '88?

I think B&E desrved gold in '94.

B&K were robbed routinely, esp. in 98 olys.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
1984 - Rosalynn vs. Katarina: Rosalynn closed the door on herself by doubling a 3rd triple and singling the second double axel. Katarina was undeniably charming and technically superior to Rosalynn in Sarajevo. I still don't understand the 5/4 split. And Rosalynn got a 6.0 for presentation!? Sure, it was a pleasant performance, but not 6.0 worthy in my opinion....maybe 5.8.

1992 - Paul Wylie. But, that is a personal opinion. I understand Viktor had been the Worlds brides"man" for several years prior to the Olympics and was a co-favorite with Kurt Browning, but his performance in Albertville was error filled and void of choreography and much emotion. Yet, I too was happy for Paul. An Olympic Silver Medal was a HUGE accomplishment for him. BRILLIANT! A 6.0 performance if I ever saw one.

1994 - Nancy vs. Oksana. At the time of the Olympics I was also 14 and new to the world of skating....so naturally I loved Nancy. I was outraged after she lost. Then, I grew up and learned a lot more about skating. I can now say that it was close and that I have no problem with Oksana's victory. She had something that made you notice her, and whether you liked what you saw or not is beside the point....she got your attention. Oksana's technical marks were a bit high, but the presentation scores were on par. Definitely could have seen it go either way.

2002 - Irina. Definitely not robbed. She is a wonderfully talented skater and I have grown to love her over the years, but her freeskate in SLC was woefully lackluster. She skated with extreme caution and had several shaky jump landings. She was lucky to get 2nd in the freeskate. The technical program is another story. I could have seen her in first. But, I would have also had her in 3rd for the long...so, Sarah would have still gotten the gold had I been a judge.

Last edited:

lil lion 816

Rinkside
Regoeczy & Sallay vs. Linichuk & Karponosov in 1980

I have tapes of both the 1980 Olympics and 1980 Worlds ice dancing competitions. I've watched both several times, and there's no doubt for me that R & S should have beaten L & K in Lake Placid. R & S appeared to have greater speed, difficulty, and lit up the crowd. L & K in contrast looked slow and lackluster.
Interestingly the results were reversed at Worlds with R & S winning...makes me wonder if the difference in results was the difference in the makeup of the judges' panel...*sigh*

Torvill & Dean in 1994

I wanted to rub my eyes and go :confused: when the marks came up after their free dance. I saw the version they used at Euros and the program was improved 100% at least at the Olympics. I definitely think T & D should have won the gold at that event...it turned me off of ice dancing for a while.

So did the judging scandal in the ice dancing competition at the 1998 Olympics...

NorthernLite

On the Ice
tommyk75 said:
I remember the 1992 Olympic Games as being pretty bizarre. I thought Paul Wylie should've beaten Viktor Petrenko for the gold, and ditto for Dmitriev and Mishkutenok, who should've won over Gordeeva & Grinkov (D&M nailed everything, G&G, as graceful as they were, made significant mistakes).

92: That is pretty bizarre, since M/D won & G/G weren't there. ;) (Yes, you meant 94, and I agree.)

As for those who rave re: Oksana B. - standing in place and vamping for one minute out of four isn't presentation. And throwing in a 2A/2T or whatever that lame jump combo at the end was hardly matched Nancy's tech content. That was a total Eastern-bloc ripoff (and should have prepared me much sooner than it did for what happens so routinely in this sport).

And for the person who said B/S were robbed out of being able to enjoy their gold medal. So were Jamie & David. ;)

Littlewild1

Rinkside
Irina was robbed at the 2002 Olympics IMO. She should have won the short program, and if she had, then she would have won gold even with finishing 2nd in the free.
I agree with everyone who said that B&S wuzrobbed of the enjoyment of their gold medals at SLC.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Smiley0884 said:
Yes, but if the FD finished like this:
3.D&V
4.B&K
5.FP&M

D&V would have still got the bronze if it finished like this right?

Well, yes, they would have, but my initial assertion was based on FP & M finishing ahead of B & K in the free dance, which is what happened. Whether or not that was a correct decision is open for debate and I'm not going to start it.:) I was just merely referring to the fact that IMO D/V should have finished ahead of FP/M and B/K.

re. Irina Slutskaya at SLC: I too agree that she should have won the SP. I'm not a huge fan of hers, but I will say she has put on 2 of the finest singles short programs I've ever seen (at SLC and at the 2001 Worlds)

icenut84

Final Flight
IMO:

1994 - I used to think Oksana's gold was fair, but on repeated viewings of the two and with better skating knowledge, I think Nancy probably deserved to win. I much prefer Oksana's skating, but her LP just wasn't good enough technically.

1994 - Torvill & Dean definitely deserved the gold IMO. I thought that at the time, and now I have better skating knowledge I believe that even more. Their programme and performance was just much better than U&Z or G&P.

1994 - I'm not sure Mishkutenok & Dmitriev were robbed, because it was close, but I probably would have given them the gold over G&G.

2002 - Irina Slutskaya DEFINITELY deserved to win the short programme - I was stunned that she was placed second. I love Michelle but no way did she deserve first place in the short. I actually would have had to think about whether I would have put her or Sasha second behind Irina.

2002 - Drobiazko & Vanagas should have moved up in the free dance, and Ina & Zimmerman should have moved up in the LP. Also think Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze were robbed of their victory, which IMO was perfectly legitimate.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I agree completely that Slutskaya was robbed in SLC. Not to take anything away from Sara's absolutely fantastic LP, and Irina's shaky LP. But Irina should've been 1st after the SP, which would've given her the gold medal.

I am shocked nobody mentioned the Worlds in Canada, 2001. B&S should've won the gold, no question about it. They behaved gracefully and did not cause a stink about it, unlike some other couple we know. That tells you my opinion about the Olypmics in SLC.

I also think that Matt Savoie was robbed of a bronze medal and a spot on the Olympics in 2002. Mike weiss did not deserve to be 3rd, but was held up because of his reputation, whatever that may be.

Yana

I think the reason no one mentioned 2001 Worlds is that the thread is about the Olympics.

Michelle should have been second in the 2002 LP, ahead of Irina's lackluster effort. It was clear that some fishy judging was going on when FOUR judges put Irina first in the LP ahead of Sarah.

OT -- Did you guys see David Letterman last night? He set up a stunt featuring the world champion hot dog ski-boarder. It was almost a terrible disaster, when she fell off the slope and landed on her head 25 feet below, but luckily she escaped with only minor cuts and bruises. Later she said,

"The worst part about it was I only got a 5.6 from the French judge."

Mathman

Kwanisqueen81

Rinkside
Nancy was ROBBED Blind!!!

I don't mean robbed but the eastern bloc stole everything in her house and then vandalized the place and then burned down her house robbed.

The dirty little secret is that Oksana got 5.9s for TECH. So there should be no talk about Oksana's better artisty and how Nancy was "cold" because Oksana one on her unfair TECH marks. Some one who thinks Oksana deserved to win...Please explain those TECH marks. How can anyone in 1994 derserve 5.9s for a program with no spin combo with a sit position. 2-footed 2 jumps(flip,toe), only 3 clean triples and only a double/double combo?

compare that with Nancy who had
2 combos(including a 3/3)
3lutz 3mins in her program
compleate mature program

I just don't understand, that one, I think Oksana got 2 *3rd* place ordinals, behind Lu chen.

as for 2002:
Irina was lucky to get silver. I case could be made for Michelle to finish 2nd in the long and thus win the gold in fact 3 judges did indeed do that. Sadly *4* cheating judges put Irina first in the long, over a flawless Hughes. Irina didn't skate with any attack. She was only into landing jumps. She skated way better at worlds that year. She didn't do her 3/3 and had a shaky landing on her 3 flip, leaning way forward. And didn't a judge put Hughes put *4th*(What waky tobacky was he smoking??) It is really amazing Sarah won with all the cheating going on.

Still sarah won by a close 5-4 vote. Had the 5/4 been in Irina's favor there would have been a riot in SLC given the way she skated vis-a-vis Hughes. .

INHO Hughes should have won the LP(no doubt about that) and 2nd place was a tossup between Kwan and Slute's lakeluster skates. But 4 juges putting Irina first was a JOKE, some even gave her 5.9s for both mark....trying to do the Oksana thing again. Thankfully this time it didn't work and the last judge on the panel was the USA judge and not the Ukrainian judge...it was *THAT* close between 2002 Gold Medalist Hughes and 2002 Gold medalist Slutskaya.

Even if Irina was first after the SP. That would have changed the dynamic of the LP, therfore we can't go by the LP results because who know how Kwan and Cohen would have responded if Irina were in first. Just food for thought

Last edited:

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
Even if Irina was first after the SP. That would have changed the dynamic of the LP, therfore we can't go by the LP results because who know how Kwan and Cohen would have responded if Irina were in first. Just food for thought

I tend to agree. I actually would not have minded Michelle being 3rd in SP. It would have allowed Irina to feel the heat of being the leader and allowed Michelle to get into her 'come from behind' mode which makes her almost unbeatable. In 2nd Sasha might have played it a little more safely, not trying the 3z-3t combo and finished with a cleaner program. You never know.

Irina winning the SP does not make her the Olympic champion. It could have impacted her LP performance as well as others' LP performances.

Evdokia

On the Ice
Re: Nancy was ROBBED Blind!!!

Kwanisqueen81 said:

Yes, but than on the other hand we don't know, how Irina would have skated if she had been in the lead. One might argue, that the consequence she had taken after being robbed in the SP was: skate as careful as you can, cause the judges don't want you to win here, so they will look at each single mistake. - So you never now, what might have happened if the SP-results would have been the other way round, but robbed is robbed and Irina should have been first in the SP. (At least I feel that most people who saw both Short programes would agree.)

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Neither Elvis nor Bourne/Kraatz were robbed at the Olys. Urmanov clearly outskated Elvis, and his presentation is much better. It was an 8-1 split.

B/K did some of the wrong steps in a CD and had a horrid OD in Nagano. In SLC, they had a fall in the FD and an even worse OD.

Fossi

Final Flight
Maybe it was Irina's payback for the judges gifting her at the GPF leading up to the Olympics? She was held up all season. A dose of reality never hurts. Sarah was robbed at GPF. So was Kwan. Irina should've been in 3rd. I don't feel bad for her. Sometimes the cheats work in favor of the judge favorites, which was clearly Irina during the '02 season.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Who was robbed, let's see:
staying on topic & sticking to the Olympics, I'd say Irina's 2002 SP was worthy of first place, regardless of who anyone *wanted* to win or lose the whole thing in retrospect, i.e. what a first place finish in the tech. program for Irina would have motivated the rest of the field to do. If we're rooting for the best performance to win, Irina's SP was it that night. One poster noted that she might have interpreted her second-place finish as a warning to be cautious; judging by how she went after her short, that makes a lot of sense. And for the purposes of this discussion, it is important to talk about SP & LP, not just the overall result, as each phase obviously affects the result. As for Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, someone made the point that they came in second, perhaps unfairly, at worlds '01 that same season in Canada and failed to proceed to make a huge stink about it, but it seems that when an "Eastern bloc" skater is on the receiving end of dodgy judging/close calls, it's quickly forgotten, whereas the pairs competition at the 2002 Olympics lives in infamy to this day, over a decision that, for many, still comes down to a question of taste. Regardless of what the judges of any particular "camp" may be guilty of doing, it's important to remember that all the skaters work extremely hard only to be evaluated by human beings, and therefore subjectivity is inevitable; when there's that little separating two competitors, it's easy to forget that sometimes there is no way for 2 people or 9 or a million to agree on a clear-cut first or second. If I recall correctly, Sale & Pelletier took a HUGE spill on the final pose of their SP (someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not sure that this was at the Olympics; many will argue quite vehemently that this has no bearing on the overall mark, just as I am entitled to make the point that B&S's skate, stumble and all, was the superior skate with its mesmerizing choreography and that the gold was rightfully theirs. Just my opinion, which is what this thread, like many others, ask posters to give. As for Oksana vs. Nancy at the 1994 Olympics, it was my first time watching a skating competition, and at the time I remember thinking that Nancy was better; I'm a HUGE Oksana fan now after having seen some of her remarkable performances (1994 Goodwill Games-The Dying Swan comes to mind), but that particular performance of hers, which I haven't been able to see a second time, still strikes me as having been iffy and not quite worthy of the gold. It's disappointing to me as a fan that one of my favorite skaters didn't produce her absolute best, which would have been unbeatable and indisputable, on that night of nights, but as a fan of skating, it's the great performances that draw me to the sport, even above my appreciation of a given individual performer, and on that night, it appeared to me that Nancy gave that performance.
Let the worms slither on...
Sarah
p.s. This discussion makes me wonder what kind of pressure the judges, hired to make a decision at the most difficult contest in the sport every four years, will be under to render a decision approved of by all, seeing as how one of the most beloved, masterful, and consistent skaters of all time will probably be making her final and best bid for gold in 2006; it would seem that teenagers who might be primed and ready to outperform Michelle Kwan in Turin, as Tara and Sarah did in the past may find it more difficult due to a variety of factors, including, of course, Michelle's upping the ante and performing at a new level & without holding back as she has done at Nats and Worlds '03 & Nats '04, but one might also factor in the influence of her much-publicized second- and third-place finishes and how the Olympics have been the sole competition to continually baffle and elude her...any way you slice it, it's going to be an incredible contest, one that will hopefully be as much about the actual performances, the drama on the ice, as it is about all the subplots and how those affect both skaters and judges.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
Re: the Ladies 02. I would have put Irina 1st in the SP, but behind one of the other Americans (besides Sarah) in the LP. And that would have resulted in Sarah still winning. Irina's freeskate was so lame, and amen to whoever said she was surprised she didn't win because she'd been given gifts other times.

Joe Inman, who judged that event, has said he wished there'd been CoP because he could have rewarded Sarah more for her performance (instead of having to save possible 5.9s & 6.0s for later skaters).
Uh, right Joe. Like CoP will keep cheating morons like Danilenko from holding up "her" skater. If anything, I view CoP as trying to negate the amazing, jump-filled wins of people like Sarah and Tara. And I think there'll be even more controversial results under CoP/Sekret & "Random" Komputer.

[P.S. a little friendly request to folks to put more paragraph breaks in long posts ... makes it really difficult to read otherwise.]