In the history of the Olympics, was anyone robbed? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

In the history of the Olympics, was anyone robbed?

Mathman said:
That was the post of the year, Rgirl. Outstanding analysis of Irina's skating....
Anyway, when I first started reading Golden Skate two years ago, my only understanding of figure skating was, oh look how pretty these girls are. Thanks to posts like yours, I am slowly but surely getting hooked on the sport.

One technical question: Is it really true that you can't stretch your tendons after age seven or eight? So that if you want to be an acrobatic dancer, you have to start as a toddler? (So much for my dreams of a second career as a contortionist in the circus.)
MATHMAN,
You're too kind. I'm either getting a big head or I had one too many shots of Jaegermeister in honor of Worlds:eek: But re "I am slowly but surely getting hooked on the sport"--puh-lease! If you aren't hooked on skating, especially a particular skater:love:, then people catch fish with spoons.:p J/K. But what am I supposed to do when you give me a set-up like that?;)

As for, "Is it really true that you can't stretch your tendons after age seven or eight?" Actually what I said was, "Also, bear in mind that flexibility involves several things: the skeletal shape of the joint involved; the length of the ligaments of that joint; and the stretch in the muscles of that joint. Of the three, only muscle stretch can be affected by training after about the age of seven or eight, and even with young children, the shape of the joint can only be altered with training by a few degrees." In other words, you can only alter the shape of the joint with training up to the age of about seven or eight and even then only by a few degrees. You can stretch your muscles and tendons (the tendon is actually just the noncontractile connective tissue of the muscle, which attaches the muscle to the bone) as long as you live and are healthy, although muscle loses elasticity as we age. Ligaments, which attach bone to bone, are nonelastic and you want to keep them that way. Think of ligaments as plastic wrap. Once you stretch it out of shape, it never goes back to its original length or tensile strength. Some people are born with joints that are shaped in such a way that allows for great range of motion, plus naturally long ligaments, plus naturally long muscle fibers. These folks are candidates for becoming ballet dancers, gymnasts, rhythmic gymnasts, or contortionists. Judging by what you've achieved as a contortionist given your upcoming birthday, I wouldn't give up your day job to join the Cirque du Soleil.;) However, even the most twisty-turny, inside-out contortionists have to work on it every day. I think we need you more to help us with our knowledge of cosmology. Besides, how many contortionists can even integrate? (Don't answer that:p)

ICENUT,
Wow, I really loved your response! I always enjoy your posts, but especially when there's a controversial disagreement, I love when anyone writes his/her opinion in a way that is articulate, well-informed, specific, and strong, but with equal regard for the other person's POV. Your post certainly was all that. Earlier today I rewatched my '94 Olympics tape of the top three finishers in the free dance and also the top three in ladies singles, as well as T/D, G/P, and U/Z from '94 Euros. When it comes to T/D vs. G/P for the gold, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But then this is why people like Phil Hersh believe ice dancing should not be a judged sport, because they feel it is impossible to judge fairly. Although I think the ISU has made strides in judging ice dancing--a lot of them because of the controversy over T&D's bronze in '94--there are still so many things that are purely subjective. Choreography I thought was cohesive you thought wasn't and vice versa; footwork I thought was difficult you felt was easy and vice versa; etc. Also, comparing a rock 'n roll program to a classic ballroom program is enough apples and oranges right there.

However, while recognizing that all your points are completely valid, I would like to respond to a few things just to clarify. For one thing, I thought T&D's "LFTM" should have easily won the silver over Usova/Zhulin's "Fellini" program, which was unfortunately U&Z at their worst. ITA that some (not all:)) of the deductions T/D got were at best unclear and at worst should not have been deductions. The word that comes to mind when I think of U/Z's FD is "dinky"-and Usova/Zhulin were NOT dinky skaters. The program was full of pantomime; virtually "nothing" footwork; had too much emphasis on making interconnecting arm shapes and not nearly enough on difficult arm holds; and finally U/Z never seemed to perform the program as if they knew what they were trying to achieve. At Euros they seemed to be trying for a "La Strada" feeling, whereas at the Olympics they seemed to be trying for a black and white comedia del arte feeling.

I was about to write that with T/D and G/P, at least it was very clear what they were going for; however, as I started writing it, I stopped and thought about it. I think if I had to name one quality that separated LFTM-Euros from LFTM-Olys it was clarity of intent. At Euros, the whole feeling of ballroom dancing came through at every moment. At the Olympics, I felt it was neither fish nor fowl. Also, when I said the Olympic version of LFTM mostly looked like a stringing together of "Torvill & Dean's Greatest Stunts" whereas the Euros version had the kind of strong, well-balanced choreography that made their rhumba OD the clear winner, I didn't mean that I was against T/D using material from other programs or that the judges should have held down their marks for doing so. I meant that, for me, LFTM-Oly lacked the choreographic phrasing and nuance of LFTM-Euros. To me LFTM-Oly looked like a first draft of a program, one that was too heavy on the stunts and highlight moves, which made it lose one of LFTM-Euros biggest assets--Jayne and Chris's relationship as both people and in the dancing. LFTM-Euros looked like a finished product--and as we both said, perhaps adding less in terms of stunts or highlights would have resulted in more. I thought LFTM-Oly lost the flow of LFTM-Euros.

As for the performance quality, Jayne and Chris definitely skated a clean, energetic, mistake-free program. But to me it looked frenetic. I thought about what you said about judging LFTM-Oly based on its qualities, not comparing it to an earlier version of itself. It's impossible to "unring the bell" and pretend I'd never seen LFTM-Euros. But I tried by watching LFTM-Oly first (I hadn't watched it or LFTM-Euros in years). Maybe I'm just stuck in what I feel about LFTM-Oly, but I just felt it stayed at one hectic level. As I've said before, I'm big fans of T&D, I continue to be a big fan of Chris's choreography, and it goes without saying that all that's good about ice dancing started with them. So in no way do I mean this as a disrespectful analogy when I say LFTM-Oly reminded me of one of those plate-spinning acts. I felt it had so much going on--Chris doing the splits, Jayne running in the air, this stunt, another stunt--that the performance quality was one of trying to keep all the "plates spinning" rather than doing what they did in the OD, which was show their mastery of form, content, and execution with Chris's thorough choreographic understanding of the aesthetics of time, space, and energy. I felt LFTM-Euros was just shy of being as good as their rhumba and that with a couple of well-placed highlights added to it, LFTM-Oly would have been unbeatable. However, you clearly make a good case for your opinion, which I'm not trying to change, BTW. If I'm reading you correctly, you felt LFTM-Oly stood on its own merits as the (should have been) gold medal winner. Forgetting about LFTM-Euros as best I can, I don't think LFTM-Oly should have won the gold medal over G/P. And you could have knocked me over with a feather when I found myself agreeing with G/P winning the OGM. But that's aesthetics for ya.

Speaking of which, back in the '80s I served for three years on the Western States Arts Foundation Dance Grants committee, as well as a similar program for the state of Utah. The WSAF decided which dance companies would receive grants to tour to the western parts of the US. Your term was for three years on a committe of nine, with terms staggered so the committee was different every year. The most difficult thing was to learn how to quickly articulate why you thought a given company or performer should or should not receive funding. And I mean QUICKLY! We had one day to look at videos from about 50 companies so we literally had to set a timer. Fortunately some companies were either so bad or so good it was a one-minute unanimous agreement. But the rest--Oy! There was one very influential guy from New York who usually had at least one new "genius" choreographer he was promoting. The one that stands out was good enough--well-crafted dances, interesting point of view--but to everyone on the committee except this one guy, the choreography and performers were pretty blah and nothing special. This guy went nuts. He stomped around the room yelling, "CAN'T YOU SEE THE HUMANITY IN THIS WORK?! IT'S SO VIVID!"

Anyway (or anyroad), the point is I think it's very hard to find an agreed upon point of reference for dance, especially when styles start to mix. In ballet, you have a strict set of rules for the body, which dictate a lot of the choreography. But once you get into contemporary ballet or modern dance, or what we have in ice dancing, which I see as a mixture of ballet, modern, ballroom, broadway, and popular social dancing, what do you use as your standard of excellence? You can't even name a program like "Bolero" as the standard because the sport has changed so much since then. One of the reasons my head swims when I look at the COP for ice dancing is that more than any other discipline, an ice dancing program can be so much more (or less) than the sum of its technical elements and component scores. But no matter which team you felt should have won the ice dancing OGM in '94, we've still got history and despite G/P's two OGMs and four World golds, '94 and '98 marked the beginning and end of their career. Torvill and Dean toured the world with their own group, are known around the world, and Chris's choreography continues to be seen with SOI. Not only that, but Christopher Dean is held in the same esteem as a choreographer as every other top choreographer of the past 30 years--and Chris has decades of great choreography yet to create. I don't mean to sound all treacly like "See, T&D got the better prize in the end!" I know for you the better prize would have been the '94 OGM and everything else. Still, it is true. One hundred years from now, the figure skating cogniscenti will know the names Torvill & Dean and Christopher Dean for the many things they contributed to all disciplines of figure skating, not just dance, both as a team and individually via Chris's choreography. Grishuk & Platov will be on a list of ice dancers who have won two OGMs and four World golds. (Yeesh. I hope that didn't sound like some "chin up" talk your mom gives you when your softball team loses regionals, lol.)

SOOGAR,
I rewatched my tape of Nancy's '94 Olympic free skate. It definitely sounds like it was put together by the same guy who composed Nancy's SP music, which doesn't mean it might not include versions of Neil Diamond. On US TV, we only hear the commentators talking--Verne Lundquist and Scott Hamilton--who don't say anything about the music, and there's nothing about the music beneath Nancy's name. There could be Neil Diamond in it that I just don't recognize. However, I do remember thinking for both Nancy's short and long programs that the only music worse than this would be a bad medley of Broadway showtunes, which is exactly what Oksana skated to, lol. In any case, you and a couple of other people recognize Neil Diamond in that arrangement and since I don't recognize any of my Neil Diamond memories--no "Holly Holy," "Sweet Caroline," "America," "Cherry, Cherry," "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show," not even any "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon"--I'll take your word for it. (I couldn't find anything about Nancy's Olympic music with a Google search.) Also, the beginning and a section towards the middle sound different from the electronic-pop music of Nancy's composer friend, so it could be what you said, that Nancy's friend combined some Boston Pops' arrangement of Neil Diamond, some of his own arrangement of Neil, and some of his own composition.

And now that I've listened to Nancy Kerrigan's music twice in one day, I'm done.:eek:
Rgirl

PS Mathman--"Anyroad" goes to "Nevermind.":p

taf2002

Rinkside
I forgot about Elvis in 94. The chicken move alone should have put Urmanov behind him. j/k Elvis's presentation was completely different from Urmanov's but in that program I thought it was equally good. That program suited Elvis to a tee and IMO he really sold it. There are good reasons for either of them to win so I'm not sure I'd call it a robbery, but Elvis gets my vote. Also in hindsight, I think he would have worn the crown better (not that that should factor into who should have won).

Re ice dancing, I don't agree with F/P-M having ANY World or Oly medals. Barbara was very talented but any team with Two-Feetzio should not be winning medals, much less a World title. But I have to admit that he made me drool.

But then this is why people like Phil Hersh believe ice dancing should not be a judged sport, because they feel it is impossible to judge fairly. Although I think the ISU has made strides in judging ice dancing--a lot of them because of the controversy over T&D's bronze in '94--there are still so many things that are purely subjective.
To me, that wouldn't be such a bad thing by itself. On the contrary, the fact that many aspects of dancing are purely subjective is exactly why ice dance is a judged sport. If this were not the case, we wouldn't need judges, only stopwatches or whatever.

But the problem comes in, IMHO, when people like the guy who couldn't understand why no one else could see the vivid humanity in his favorite choreographer's work start seeing conspiracies and skullduggery behind every bush. I really liked Barbara Fusar-Poli and ... (did she have a partner?) and was glad that they won a World Championship. But I remember the Grand Prix final that same season (I think I remember this, LOL), when Ottavio Cinquanta went ballistic in the stands when Fusar-Poli and Margaglio didn't win, leading everyone to believe that the fix was in but somebody doublecrossed him at the last minute.

About Torville and Dean at the 1994 Olympics, "they say" that it didn't matter what Torville and Dean did, the ISU was not going to give them a gold medal because the ISU was mad about the whole reinstaement thing. Brian Boitano, too. Although Gordeeva and Grinkhov :love: -- what are you going to do?

Christopher Dean complained afterward about all the hoops that the ISU judges put him through, making him change his program in ways he didn't want to, as Rgirl discusses. Then after he did everything he was told, they still stabbed him in the back, in Dean's view.

Everyone in Canada thinks that there was a monster conspiracy for ten years to hold down Bourne and Kraatz. Then the ISU finally threw them a bone in 2003 just to get rid of them.

Then there was the whole Chait/Sahknovsky uproar. For one year they suddenly zoomed up to the top, then just as suddenly they were no longer the fair-haired children. "They say" Boris Chait did everything short of threatening Cinquanta with a gun to insure his daughter's success, but then evidently it got too hot for him and he had to back off the next year.

The problem with all of these allegations is that you can never prove they're not true, and controversial and unpopular judging decissions continue to pour oil on the fire.

I think this is why people like Phil Hersh think that ice dancing drags down the rest of figure skating and wants to be rid of it, as a competitive Olympic sport.

Mathman

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
Hey Rgirl! :)

Rgirl said:
When it comes to T/D vs. G/P for the gold, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But then this is why people like Phil Hersh believe ice dancing should not be a judged sport, because they feel it is impossible to judge fairly. Although I think the ISU has made strides in judging ice dancing--a lot of them because of the controversy over T&D's bronze in '94--there are still so many things that are purely subjective. Choreography I thought was cohesive you thought wasn't and vice versa; footwork I thought was difficult you felt was easy and vice versa; etc. Also, comparing a rock 'n roll program to a classic ballroom program is enough apples and oranges right there.P

You're totally right. Apples and oranges. Agree to disagree. :) As for Phil Hersh - just because he can't understand it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the Olympics, lol. It may be *difficult* to judge fairly, but I think that with enough training, and honesty, and trying hard to be objective and to look at every routine fr what it is - it can be judged. Not easy, but it can be done. (And probably the reason they have 9 judges rather than just 1 is so that they can get the best and most reliable answer, since a single judge can have an opinion that goes against a majority. Kind of thing.)

However, while recognizing that all your points are completely valid, I would like to respond to a few things just to clarify. For one thing, I thought T&D's "LFTM" should have easily won the silver over Usova/Zhulin's "Fellini" program, which was unfortunately U&Z at their worst. ITA that some (not all:)) of the deductions T/D got were at best unclear and at worst should not have been deductions. The word that comes to mind when I think of U/Z's FD is "dinky"-and Usova/Zhulin were NOT dinky skaters. The program was full of pantomime; virtually "nothing" footwork; had too much emphasis on making interconnecting arm shapes and not nearly enough on difficult arm holds; and finally U/Z never seemed to perform the program as if they knew what they were trying to achieve. At Euros they seemed to be trying for a "La Strada" feeling, whereas at the Olympics they seemed to be trying for a black and white comedia del arte feeling.

Again, I totally agree. I watched the comp again this morning. IMO, Usova & Zhulin's FD wasn't that good at all - the choreography was very simplistic and - the word I first thought was "campy". Plus with the unsteady lift, no way should they have beaten T&D, and I probably would have had them behind G&P too, actually. I haven't watched their Four Seasons from 92 for a while, but IIRC it was much better.

Also, I had another thought about G&P - I think in my post I said that their lifts weren't as good or aesthetic as they could have been, and I htink that's one of the things that kind of unconsciously stuck out to me. Mainly Grishuk's lack of extension (not only in the lifts but in the whole programme, really), and I also saw quite a bit of toe-pushing from both of them. Don't get me wrong, extension isn't the be-all and end-all for me, but in ice dance it *is* important and it does make a noticeable difference in the whole performance. Even in a rock & roll, where obviously extension isn't as consciously noticeable as it would be in a balletic programme, it's still important. And the toe-pushing is an issue of technical quality.

I felt LFTM-Euros was just shy of being as good as their rhumba and that with a couple of well-placed highlights added to it, LFTM-Oly would have been unbeatable. However, you clearly make a good case for your opinion, which I'm not trying to change, BTW. If I'm reading you correctly, you felt LFTM-Oly stood on its own merits as the (should have been) gold medal winner. Forgetting about LFTM-Euros as best I can, I don't think LFTM-Oly should have won the gold medal over G/P. And you could have knocked me over with a feather when I found myself agreeing with G/P winning the OGM. But that's aesthetics for ya.

So, to put you on the spot - what did you think of the result from Euros, when G&P were 1st in the free dance and T&D were 2nd (extremely close with U&Z for 2nd and 3rd)?

But no matter which team you felt should have won the ice dancing OGM in '94, we've still got history and despite G/P's two OGMs and four World golds, '94 and '98 marked the beginning and end of their career. Torvill and Dean toured the world with their own group, are known around the world, and Chris's choreography continues to be seen with SOI. Not only that, but Christopher Dean is held in the same esteem as a choreographer as every other top choreographer of the past 30 years--and Chris has decades of great choreography yet to create. I don't mean to sound all treacly like "See, T&D got the better prize in the end!" I know for you the better prize would have been the '94 OGM and everything else.

I don't think so. While I would have loved to see T&D win the 94 gold, it didn't have any negative impact on their careers at all. If you asked me which I'd prefer - 94 gold or the kind of careers/reputation they've got - I wouldn't choose the medal. I doubt they would either. They're regarded as legends and I'm sure that means more to them than a medal could.

icenut84

Final Flight
soogar said:
I agree about the judges awarding B&S the silver in the 1998 Olympics. As far as I was concerned, the German team was robbed of the silver. S dropped B at the end of the program from a lift and the Germans skated cleanly, if slow.

I don't understand why people think B&S were held up so much in Nagano. I watched it again recently (and may watch it later today), and I agree with the result of second in the free. They did have two mistakes, but Wotzel & Steuer were NOT clean. They had several little mistakes - not falls, IIRC, but mistakes nontheless. Also, IIRC the quality (& difficulty) of several of their elements was nowhere near B&S's.

soogar

Record Breaker
I love B&S,however they made some spectacular mistakes in the long program, especially with that fall on the dismount of the lift right at the end. Woetz and Steuer were steady.

However I thought that it was interesting how when B&S placed ahead of a clean Ina & Zimmerman in the SP, commentators constantly remarked on how high the quality of their elements were in the SP, whereas in SLC, B&S had a lot of connecting steps and the Canadians basically had a program that was just jumps and throws out of crossovers and everyone harped on how the Canadians were robbed. B&S had one error and some scratchy landings (though landed clean on one leg) and no one bothered to point out how their program was more difficult b/c of the connecting steps.

Last edited:

frozetoez

Rinkside
ID Nurse said:
I felt badly for Orser, since I felt he was robbed in 84, but since in 88 the tie-breaker was the technical mark, and Boitano had the more difficult technical program, the correct Brian won the Gold that night.

I totally agree. Orser deserved the gold in 1984, but if he'd won the gold in 1988, that would've been the ultimate robbery. Whether you like his skating or not, I don't see how anyone can say that Boitano didn't deserve to win that night.

On the subject of Katarina v. Debi, I wouldn't have given either one the gold. Liz Manley would've gotten my vote.

lulu

Final Flight
frozetoez said:

On the subject of Katarina v. Debi, I wouldn't have given either one the gold. Liz Manley would've gotten my vote.

Liz did win the free skate. She didn't win the gold because of the Short program and figures.

Same thing with Scott Hamilton and Brian Orser

As well as Trixie Schuba and Janet Lynn

The right skater won the free, but because figures counted so much, as the rules were at the time, the right skater ended up winning the gold medal.

icenut84

Final Flight
soogar said:
I love B&S,however they made some spectacular mistakes in the long program, especially with that fall on the dismount of the lift right at the end. Woetz and Steuer were steady.

I watched the two performances yesterday and I made some notes. Wotzel & Steuer didn't fall, but they did have several mistakes. This is what I put:

Wotzel & Steuer:
* Wotzel stepped out of the 2axel
* Wotzel two-footed the throw 3toe
* Loss of unison on the sbs spins
* Wotzel jerked forward on the landing of the throw 2axel
* No footwork sequence (I think)
* Steuer looked like he made an error on the 2nd pair spin, putting his free foot down etc
* The difficulty of the lifts - I'm no expert on pairs lifts, but one imparticular that I noticed was that both teams did a lasso into a star lift, but W&S did it all with 2 hands whereas B&S went to one hand

Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze:
* Berezhnaya landed forwards on the twist
* However, despite the mistake on the twist, the difference in quality was huge. Whereas Wotzel barely left Steuer's hands, Berezhnaya rocketed up into the air, and also had an amazing delay on the rotation.
* Their second sbs jumps (both teams did clean 3toes) were 2axel-2toes, whereas W&S just did 2axels (and had the mistake).
* Both of B&S's throws were more difficult than W&S's (3loop and 3salchow vs. 3toe and 2axel). Plus B&S's throws were twice the size.
* Berezhnaya's throw salchow landing was amazing, and on the 3loop she kicked her landing foot with her free leg but managed to hold a clean landing anyway.
* B&S had better centring on the pair spin(s).
* B&S had a somersault exit from one of their lifts.
* B&S had more difficult sbs spins (flying camel-back sit vs. regular camel-back sit).
* B&S fell off the landing edge of the final lift, but both held the landing edge cleanly before the trip.

So B&S did have one fall whereas W&S didn't, but when you take everything into account, W&S wuz not robbed, IMO.

Last edited:
Originally posted by icenut84
Hey Rgirl! :)
You're totally right. Apples and oranges. Agree to disagree. :) As for Phil Hersh - just becausehe can't understand it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the Olympics, lol. It may be *difficult* to judge fairly, but I think that with enough training, and honesty, and trying hard to be objective and to look at every routine fr what it is - it can be judged. Not easy, but it can be done. (And probably the reason they have 9 judges rather than just 1 is so that they can get the best and most reliable answer, since a single judge can have an opinion that goes against a majority. Kind of thing.)

Hey Back Atcha Icenut:)
I should have clarified that I don't agree with Phil Hersh, that I was just using him as a well-known example of why a lot of people don't feel ice dancing should be a sport. ITA with you and Mathman. Both of you said what I neglected to better than I could have, anyroad.:)

Also, I had another thought about G&P - I think in my post I said that their lifts weren't as good or aesthetic as they could have been, and I htink that's one of the things that kind of unconsciously stuck out to me. Mainly Grishuk's lack of extension (not only in the lifts but in the whole programme, really), and I also saw quite a bit of toe-pushing from both of them. Don't get me wrong, extension isn't the be-all and end-all for me, but in ice dance it *is* important and it does make a noticeable difference in the whole performance. Even in a rock & roll, where obviously extension isn't as consciously noticeable as it would be in a balletic programme, it's still important. And the toe-pushing is an issue of technical quality.

I agree with both your points about Grishuk's extension and the toe pushing. However, I think what G/P brought to "Rock 'n Roll" is great speed, speed that had never been seen in ice dancing before. Anything you do at higher speeds than your competition is going to be more difficult and the rest of their technique was good enough that I don't think it detracted as much as the speed added to the impression and overall quality of the program. Also, and I think this is where politics comes into the results, speed looks more *athletic* and given the kind of criticism ice dancing had been receiving, I think at least some judges were anxious to see something that would justify to the uneducated public that ice dance was a sport. Speed fit the bill.

So, to put you on the spot - what did you think of the result from Euros, when G&P were 1st in the free dance and T&D were 2nd (extremely close with U&Z for 2nd and 3rd)?

You're not putting me on the spot, especially since I was the one who kept bringing up the comparison between LFTM-Euros and LFTM-Oly.:) What I said in my post was that I thought LFTM-Euros was "just shy" of being an OGM-winning program. However, I felt G/P's Rock 'n Roll was already capable of winning the OGM at Euros. The only factor that could bring it down was G/P's performance, whereas T/D had both choreographic and performance factors to deal with. Where I do think politics played a major role was in U/Z being at all close to T/D at Euros and in them winning the silver over T/D at Olys.

My best guess as to what happened is that there were two extremes on the judging panel at both Euros and the Olympics. One was anti-reinstatement/anti-T/D and the other was anti-U/Z because of the hunk 'o junk they had as their free dance. G/P were the beneficiaries because they had a good program; it had a new level of athleticism; and they had climbed the ice dance ladder (they were fourth at the '92 Olympics). I'm not saying G/P won only because of possible opposing extremes among the judges, but I think it may have played a role when T/D changed so much of LFTM.

One other thing I think hurt T/D. They had all the classic qualities of great ice dancing except one: the lithe movement quality of youth. It's an unfortunate fact that as we age the joints stiffen, the muscles lose elasticty, and the neuromuscular system loses quickness, especially quickness with amplitude. This is virtually impossible to see on TV and even live, most people can't identify it. It's generally a quality people notice on a subconscious level unless it's really severe. I think when T/D went for so many big stunts rather than focusing on difficult syncopation, rhythmic patterns, edging, flow, etc. that they emphasized their weaknesses rather than playing to their strengths.

While I would have loved to see T&D win the 94 gold, it didn't have any negative impact on their careers at all. If you asked me which I'd prefer - 94 gold or the kind of careers/reputation they've got - I wouldn't choose the medal. I doubt they would either. They're regarded as legends and I'm sure that means more to them than a medal could.

Perhaps I should have been clearer with my last line. When I said, "I know for you the better prize would have been the '94 OGM and everything else" I meant that I thought you would have preferred T/D to have both won the '94 OGM AND have their unparalleled careers, reputation, and place in history. I would never think you--or T/D--would choose the medal! What I meant was in the best of all possible worlds, fans of T/D would have them with the OGM in '84 and '94, the latter as the icing on the cake of their already solidified status as legends, especially since many people don't feel G/P deserved the OGM. I love T/D and as I've said before, I was rooting for them to win the '94 OGM. But I honestly feel G/P had the superior free dance, both choreographically and performance-wise.

One last thing: Although I feel bad for Chris that he tried to play by the rules, consulted the judges as to how to make LFTM better, and still got screwed, nobody forced Chris to do anything. None of us were there, so we don't know what the judges Chris asked about LFTM actually said. Who knows if they said, "Just add a couple of highlight moves, that's all LFTM needs to win gold in Lillehammer" or if they said, "You've got to go back to the drawing board and start over to have a chance of winning the gold." I'm making general statements, but the point is, IMO, Chris had been around ice dancing judges long enough to know the vagaries of what they say vs. what they mean. And even if you do exactly what someone suggests, whether it be in dance or anything, the actual result of the suggestions can be worse than what was originally there.

In some ways--and please don't take offense--I feel T/D and G/P were in a very similar position as Michelle Kwan and Sarah Hughes at the '02 Olympics. Michelle went in as the favorite and with a lot riding on what was then considered to be her last chance to win the OGM. I forget which critic said this, but someone there said, "Michelle skated as if she was trying not to lose the gold, whereas Sarah skated as if she was trying to win the gold." G/P had nothing to lose. Virtually nobody outside of the skating cogniscenti knew who they were. T/D had a lot to lose, or so it seemed. Certainly T/D were the favorites and must have felt the pressure. It's very possible that no matter what T/D did to LFTM that G/P would have won. As it turned out, T/D's bronze medal only made people love them more; they have, as I said, their place in history, whereas G/P will simply be listed for their medals won. In '94 T/D won a prize bigger than any OGM: They solidified their place in history and in the hearts of a whole new generation of fans.

Anyroad, we're in the midst of quite a Worlds right now, so please forgive me if this post isn't very well done. The results of today have my head spinning:eek:
Rgirl

icenut84

Final Flight
Rgirl said:
Hey Back Atcha Icenut:)
I should have clarified that I don't agree with Phil Hersh, that I was just using him as a well-known example of why a lot of people don't feel ice dancing should be a sport. ITA with you and Mathman.

Just a question - I assume Phil Hersh is well known in the US, but for those of us on the other side of the pond - who is he? :confused:

Both of you said what I neglected to better than I could have, anyroad.:)

Oh Gawd, I've started a catchphrase. LOL :laugh:

Also, and I think this is where politics comes into the results, speed looks more *athletic* and given the kind of criticism ice dancing had been receiving, I think at least some judges were anxious to see something that would justify to the uneducated public that ice dance was a sport. Speed fit the bill.

Interesting thought. I hadn't thought of that before. Maybe so...

When I said, "I know for you the better prize would have been the '94 OGM and everything else" I meant that I thought you would have preferred T/D to have both won the '94 OGM AND have their unparalleled careers, reputation, and place in history.

Well, yeah. Obviously! :)

One last thing: Although I feel bad for Chris that he tried to play by the rules, consulted the judges as to how to make LFTM better, and still got screwed, nobody forced Chris to do anything. None of us were there, so we don't know what the judges Chris asked about LFTM actually said. Who knows if they said, "Just add a couple of highlight moves, that's all LFTM needs to win gold in Lillehammer" or if they said, "You've got to go back to the drawing board and start over to have a chance of winning the gold." I'm making general statements, but the point is, IMO, Chris had been around ice dancing judges long enough to know the vagaries of what they say vs. what they mean. And even if you do exactly what someone suggests, whether it be in dance or anything, the actual result of the suggestions can be worse than what was originally there.

Totally true. Don't know the guy personally, wasn't there, was only 10, never even seen ice skating before 94 (not that I remember anyway).

In some ways--and please don't take offense--I feel T/D and G/P were in a very similar position as Michelle Kwan and Sarah Hughes at the '02 Olympics. Michelle went in as the favorite and with a lot riding on what was then considered to be her last chance to win the OGM. I forget which critic said this, but someone there said, "Michelle skated as if she was trying not to lose the gold, whereas Sarah skated as if she was trying to win the gold." G/P had nothing to lose. Virtually nobody outside of the skating cogniscenti knew who they were. T/D had a lot to lose, or so it seemed. Certainly T/D were the favorites and must have felt the pressure.

Why would I take offence at that? It's a fair comparison - G&P/Sarah having nothing to lose, whereas T&D/Michelle getting all the pressure put on them. Where the comparisons end though, is for Michelle the pressure got to her in the LP and she made mistakes. I remember Torvill once saying (maybe in an interview) that she was really nervous/under pressure at first, but then when they started their FD, it took about 1 step for her to think "Hang on, you LIKE doing this", and T&D then just performed all-out. I re-watched my tape the other day, and on my coverage (BBC), they did a replay of T&D's FD after the competition conclusion, with the Robin Cousins and Barry Davies talking about it. Robin pointed out that it was plain that they were having a great time - it wasn't a competition to them, they were performing like they performed in their shows. I think that came across in the performance.

In '94 T/D won a prize bigger than any OGM: They solidified their place in history and in the hearts of a whole new generation of fans.

Including me :D First time I'd ever seen skating that I remember - and I remember being immediately awestruck by T&D at Euros. Obviously there was all the publicity about their return, but they just jumped out at me immediately. (When I watched the Olympics, I remember Robin Cousins saying he wouldn't have liked to be a judge, and me thinking "I would! I would have given T&D 6.0/6.0!") lol

Anyroad, we're in the midst of quite a Worlds right now, so please forgive me if this post isn't very well done. The results of today have my head spinning:eek:
Rgirl

No spoilers! :eek: I'm still catching up with watching worlds, have only seen pairs short & free and the mens short so far. I so can't wait to watch ladies though. (I was shocked enough after seeing the qualifying results.)