Yuna Kim's short and long programs | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim's short and long programs

Ven

Match Penalty
Ah, that sucks, I hate the split personality black/purple. :(

Really loved that original black dress, it was one of my new favorites.
(yellow one still looks good)

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Ah, that sucks, I hate the split personality black/purple. :(

Really loved that original black dress, it was one of my new favorites.
(yellow one still looks good)

Both are fine for me, but the old make Yuna looks a bit ... old, too sexy, somehow darker than usual so I prefer the new one. I like something light, graceful, just beautiful :eek::

binky

Rinkside
the music is excruciating once you can actually hear it. she could have any music in the background and skate the same program. and she may well have done that. but she is a fine skater.

RABID

Final Flight
Sorry, as much of a fan I am of hers, this program makes me antsy. For the life of me I don't get how some have actually dismissed Clowns in favor of this long program; it's so "white toast in warm milk". Obviously she can still win gold with it but in its current state it's not likely to persuade any spectators who aren't judges, especially if the Sochi audience have already seen a clean performance by Julia. It needs tweaking even if that only means breaking up the languid pace of it; perhaps increase the speed of her spin to a kind of fast musical punctuation, for example. I sure hope David and her have been in discussion. I would rather her go out with something brilliant and lose than her win with something so pedestrian although either way I wont be sad if she wins gold. ;)

the music is excruciating once you can actually hear it...

I had the exact opposite experience. The first couple of times I saw the program, with bad sound, I thought the music was awful. Then when a couple of fan cams from Korean Nationals were posted with better sound, I liked the music a lot.

Rabid said:
For the life of me I don't get how some have actually dismissed Clowns in favor of this long program; it's so "white toast in warm milk". Obviously she can still win gold with it but in its current state it's not likely to persuade any spectators who aren't judges, especially if the Sochi audience have already seen a clean performance by Julia.

There is no question that the general audience will like Send in the Clowns better. It is an emotionally appealing program, a throwback to Peggy Fleming. For the long program, all she has to do is hit the elements and rack up the points.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
There is no question that the general audience will like Send in the Clowns better. It is an emotionally appealing program, a throwback to Peggy Fleming. For the long program, all she has to do is hit the elements and rack up the points.
Bravo :clap:

Come on guys, this is Yuna's last season, we don't have enough time to complain about whether the program is amazing or not (by her top gold standard of course) We will never see her "new season programs" again, let's treasure it as much as we can, please!!!

cheerio2

On the Ice
Bravo :clap:

Come on guys, this is Yuna's last season, we don't have enough time to complain about whether the program is amazing or not (by her top gold standard of course) We will never see her "new season programs" again, let's treasure it as much as we can, please!!!

Well said.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm sure Yuna and David are aware, they are professionals and made creative choices. I just don't happen to agree this time. I think to really bring out the performance in Adiós Nonino you need a deep and moving interpretation. What a performance it could have been, coming from a 23 year old woman who has matured beyond her years since that teenage girl we got to know in the last quad.

My sadness about the program is because it feels the approach is cavalier, like we are getting something we've already seen from Yuna years before, just different music playing in the background. Lackluster is a good word.

BUT, I reserve the right to change my mind depending on the final product. It's not over until it's over, and we'll know next month at Sochi. I will keep my fingers crossed until then.

No matter what, we got Send in the Clowns this year, which is at least one more program I can watch over and over again.

This is pretty how I feel. The originality of Les Mis is arguable but I feel like it did bring out some emotion in Yuna that we hadn't seen before. I thought, wow, Yuna's giving me shivers for the first time. This new program? Not such much. But like you, I totally reserve the right to eat my hat if the final program is different. And Send in the Clowns gives me shivers, so hurray!

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Sorry, as much of a fan I am of hers, this program makes me antsy. For the life of me I don't get how some have actually dismissed Clowns in favor of this long program; it's so "white toast in warm milk". Obviously she can still win gold with it but in its current state it's not likely to persuade any spectators who aren't judges, especially if the Sochi audience have already seen a clean performance by Julia. It needs tweaking even if that only means breaking up the languid pace of it; perhaps increase the speed of her spin to a kind of fast musical punctuation, for example. I sure hope David and her have been in discussion. I would rather her go out with something brilliant and lose than her win with something so pedestrian although either way I wont be sad if she wins gold. ;)

In fact, Adios is one of the most difficult program to skate to. Experimental. I always wonder how she is going to pull this off. Is it even possible? That shows something about Kim. what I at least appreciate in her choice is that she does not play safe. Send in the Clown is a safe one; anyone can see that. A proper music to skate to and easy. why didn't she pick a similar one in free? That's laudable.

Ven

Match Penalty
Someone said the music is excruciating. I disagree. The music cut as is grows on you, but if you listen to the unedited version it's really powerful. I'm sad they didn't include the deepest emotions of the music.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
In fact, Adios is one of the most difficult program to skate to. Experimental. I always wonder how she is going to pull this off. Is it even possible? That shows something about Kim. what I at least appreciate in her choice is that she does not play safe. Send in the Clown is a safe one; anyone can see that. A proper music to skate to and easy. why didn't she pick a similar one in free? That's laudable.

Half triple could you explain to us non-skaters and skaters too, why and where the difficulty is? Thank you. I really want to understand this as someone said this before-YuNa herself, but what is it? If you cannot explain can someone else who is a skating expert explain how difficult this is? This is a sincere question. At this point, I am liking the Sp much more.

Selene

On the Ice
Yuna's programs this season bore me. The musical selections are poor and she isn't bringing it performance-wise, especially in the long program. Maybe she is too introverted to pull off a tango? She isn't giving any of the fire needed to bring the program to life. She is skating the program like a robot/zombie.

I also don't see how her program is that difficult. She is basically doing a million crossovers across the whole expanse of the rink with no transitions (except for the spread eagle into double axel) into her jumps. She is in no way the female Patrick Chan in terms of the complexity her programs. In fact, I feel that she and Wilson often use arm movements to distract from the lack of complexity of her programs.

stevlin

On the Ice
I do not like her musical choice this year. "Adios" was great for Jeff Buttle in his short program in 2008 when he won "Worlds". But his cut was great. YuNa's "Adios" is slow and boring. Her "Clowns" is too quiet for her.

In fact, Adios is one of the most difficult program to skate to. Experimental. I always wonder how she is going to pull this off. Is it even possible?

I agree. This music is a sad jazz tango. Yuna's interpretation is not sad, not jazzy, and not a tango. Just Yuna. :clap: :clap: :clap:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
No one has answered me why this is so difficult, so I will assume it is only someone's opinion, or someone repeating what YuNa said. She did not say why it was difficult, and maybe, she took out transitions david put in to make it less so. I don't know. I wish someone would address that, tho.

YuNa has skated to Tango Roxanne, and she was very fiery then. It was a long time ago, tho, and that is the criticism, that YuNa did not skate with fire and commitment at either nationals or Zagreb. Les Mis was very good music for her and I liked it. She maybe was in better shape last year, no stated injury as in this year.

Well, I have watched Clowns a few times. YuNa is not ever over stated in her facial expressions. She does however seem to feel this music if you watch her face. And it was skated litely. I like it better every time I watch. Her SP is not the problem. I feel she will not win the crowd at this point with Adios Nonino. It needs a lot I think. But comparing 2014 to 2010 Yuna is a no win, even Les Mis. I thought was well done, and clearly it was a clean great skate for Yuna and she deserved to win. I think many Yuna fans just wanted to see some special, hardly used music, different choreo. I was hoping David Wilson would out do himself. My idea was to revive "Lark" a program from the young innocent YuNa and see what it would look like as a mature young lady who has won an OGM. The choreography of many CoP programs are about amassing points. Like RABID said, I'd rather see something very special, and memorable, and stunning dress and music than something that was the best technical program they could maange to get her on podium. I am afraid many will be looking for 2010 Yuna. Korea will love whatever she does, but after waiting so long and seeing so little of her this year, it is only normal for all the regular fans to be expecting something awesome. And ubers too.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^I believe Yuna Kim said something about there being no "breaks" in Adios, she's constantly moving from element to element, and thus it requires more stamina, strength, and energy than any of her previous LPs did.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Like RABID said, I'd rather see something very special, and memorable, and stunning dress and music than something that was the best technical program they could maange to get her on podium. I am afraid many will be looking for 2010 Yuna. Korea will love whatever she does, but after waiting so long and seeing so little of her this year, it is only normal for all the regular fans to be expecting something awesome. And ubers too.

Okay, please do not said for our fans's mind as if you are one of us :rolleye:

We did expect, yes, but not something "must be very special" eveytime she show us her hard work products. Yuna is human afterall, she has her limit, she was tired too, why always complain "this not good enough for her standard"; "this good but not masterpiece"; "this great for eveyone else but not for Yuna" blah blah blah ... so frustrating :rolleye:

And it's not like you appreciate Yuna sooo much to want her do something more special for her good, you simply just want to find something to criticize her, nothing Yuna do make you feel "ah, it's great", so get over it :frown:

You hate her then fine, don't care, leave her alone, thank you!!!