Kostner might be out of Europeans as well | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kostner might be out of Europeans as well

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If Caro was so good then why did she lose back then to the now third best Italian. It is all perspective. What is fair versus who is likely to win or do better is two different things. life isn't fair of course. I can see a lot of irony and of course we don't hear about the misfortune of the "no names" long forgotten. Sure, things worked out for Michelle Kwan after she was booted off for Nancy - though Kwan was lucky no age restrictions applied then. But for some skaters the almost can be very painful. THink about it what if for example Dai wins gold and more glory, money and honour and say Kozuka or Oda end up flipping burgers. If they started even keel but one gets bad luck and heads "dwonawards" and the other gets goodluck but just a bit of luck there is a huge division. But fairness and what is right is in the eye of the beholder.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
On a good day Caro is the best in the world on a bad day she is horrific but she has always been held up so far.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well at least Valentina gets to go I assume to the olympics this time. I kind of thought you could miss nationals for injury and possibly be put on the team; now it seems you can do it for whatever reason. Mind you each nation is different - still you can see some poor person getting the short end of the stick.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
If Caro was so good then why did she lose back then to the now third best Italian. It is all perspective.

And yet, the next month, Carolina won the European title while Valentina finished 8th.

~It is all perspective.~

Carolina earned her spot on the team no matter how badly she performed at the Olympics. Valentina didn't even have GP assignments that year while Carolina finished 6th in both of hers. Going back to the 2008-2009 season, Carolina won more medals that season than Valentina did from 2006 to 2009.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was thinking more along the lines of "be done with all the jumps sooner". I think landing a clean 2A after 4 minutes and 5 seconds would still be a big risk, and she'd be less tense during the last minute if there was no jump yet to come.

I don't disagree. That's why I suggested an ending like Michelle's.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I appreciate Carolina is doing everything she can to win OGM or at least a medal. This woman has had three good chances to win a medal - this is probably the last one probably. I know there are a lot of caro fans and I have started to really appreciate her more as a skater. If I remember correctly there were many good reasons not to send her to the last olympics - I think Marchesi beat her at Nationals (or was at in respect to world's). Nevertheless Carolina has been given a lot of support from her national skating federation. I hope they make her skate at nationals if it hasn't occurred already. She has had her breaks:)

The skate off was at Euro. Caro won Euro. Put out a 3F-3T.
She earned her spot in 2010 Olympics.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
And yet, the next month, Carolina won the European title while Valentina finished 8th.

~It is all perspective.~

Carolina earned her spot on the team no matter how badly she performed at the Olympics. Valentina didn't even have GP assignments that year while Carolina finished 6th in both of hers. Going back to the 2008-2009 season, Carolina won more medals that season than Valentina did from 2006 to 2009.

Not that I care about Valentina but I am not so sure Carolina earned her spot; all depens on perspective it was just nationals then no. But regardless Caroina has constantly been given breaks even when she skates really bad. Her Skating skills while good are minor compared to Chan or Dai forget gender but she is marked up and inflated like there is no tomorrow.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The skate off was at Euro. Caro won Euro. Put out a 3F-3T.
She earned her spot in 2010 Olympics.[/QUOTEI am playing devil's advocate. Don't you people have some feeling. Carolina gets the glitz, glamour and support rules allowed for it but they easily could have said natioanls and that's it. it will be interesting to see whether if Ashley falters in the long if they get her on the team.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Have a skate off. Just make sure the rule is known ahead of time.
For ladies, her skating skill is the best. And she doesn't get 9.5 on SS like Chan or 9.0 like Dai. She gets 8.5. Ok? What's so hard to get? You're comparing ladies and men now? Let Kim compete in the men event, she wouldn't get a Grand Prix medal.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Considering how Kostner jumps have been looking lately it might not be such a bad idea.
She might have a repeat of 2010 in Sochi...

jace93

On the Ice
and who should they send instead? they have two spot, right? so one is rightfully reserved for the 2014 italian champion: Valentina Marchei... and the other one? should they give it to their only lad that ever medaled at worlds (not counting she was the first to win one) and that was out of national competition due to injuri or shoul they give it to Francesca Rio (the silver medalist) or to Roberta Rodighiero (the bronze medalist and the third representative of the european team) both of whom have a personal best more or less 30 points LOWER than kostner debacle at the Olympics...:sarcasm:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I thought the best sp of Carolina was the Shostakovich sp, and wish to use it for Olys. I never got enough of it. It is true after Vancouver she has had gorgeous programs.

thinspread

On the Ice
Despite her missing key competitions this season, I think she will do far better than her previous two stints at the Olympics. She will carry the confidence of a world champ and a seasoned veteran into the rink, as she did in 2013 Worlds. I hope she earn that Olympic medal. She is too good to end her career without one.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I just don't think Kostner's skating skills are that great but that is just me. And as there are two spots it won't matter this time. The point is Caro has had a lot of breaks - judging and even how they decided to send people to the last olympics. And now it is questionable if she was injured or is so focussed on an oly medal she skipped Italians. It appears the latter or a huge coincidence she has changed her programs I guess that is the name of the game manipulate the system and your national system for yoru glory - because as Chan has admitted this really is about you.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
I just don't think Kostner's skating skills are that great but that is just me. And as there are two spots it won't matter this time. The point is Caro has had a lot of breaks - judging and even how they decided to send people to the last olympics. And now it is questionable if she was injured or is so focussed on an oly medal she skipped Italians. It appears the latter or a huge coincidence she has changed her programs I guess that is the name of the game manipulate the system and your national system for yoru glory - because as Chan has admitted this really is about you.

Oh Please!
She's not manipulating the system-If you think there's a chance that the Italian fed will send the reigning world silver medalist to the Olympics because
she didn't participate at nationals, you live in La-La land.
Kostner has single-handedly earned every single assignment she has gotten during the years.