Kostner might be out of Europeans as well | Golden Skate

Kostner might be out of Europeans as well

SXTN

Final Flight
According to this article (unfortunately in Italian, so I give a short summary) http://altoadige.gelocal.it/sport/2...-no-questo-il-dilemma-della-kostner-1.8408855 Carolina might not be ready to partecipate in Europeans due to the lack of preparation because of her injury.
It is also reported that it might be the result of changing her programs. Before Christmas she was seen in Oberstdorf (where she trains) practicing "Bolero" for the FS and "Ave Maria" for the SP. Lori Nichol was also spotted at the ice rink.

She skated to "Ave Maria" around Christmas and it is indeed constructed like a SP, the spread eagle and the spiral substituting the 3L and 2A.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBELsejnlpk

Let's wait and see until official announcements are made.

Franklin99

Medalist
With how beautiful she performed Bolero at Worlds and Nationals last year, if she goes back to that program, she will more likely be a medal contender than with her present programs.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I really hope she's well enough to participate at Europeans. She'll need that as a test run to get her ready.

I warmed up to her Humoresque SP but I really hope she goes back to Bolero; Scheherazade just wasn't working well. It was good as an exhibition piece but I can't see her winning a medal of any color if she sticks with that program. Bolero on the other hand...I could see her on the podium with good performance of Bolero.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I hope Lori Nichol charges her. It is a lot of work at this point one would think to go change two routines - granted they have been done before. To be honest though I detest Bolero even when Michelle did it and I wasn't so enamoured ever with the music. It is rather annoying; you can tell this is an olympic year - the pressure.

jaylee

Medalist
Argh, this news is a bummer. However, the most important thing is to be in good condition for the Olympics.

If she is changing programs, then she certainly could've used a competition to try them out, but I don't think Shizuka changed her programs until the Olympics either, so it could still work out for Kostner. I actually liked her Humoresque SP, it was quirky and whimsical. Ave Maria looks gorgeous, but now it seems like most of the ladies have this soft/lyrical/moving theme going on, which is fine for each of them individually, but collectively, it's kind of blah.

Icey

Record Breaker
On her official web site on January 1, she said she was scheduled to skate at Europeans in mid-January. She said to check back. I did today and there was no change in the message. All that money on costumes and choreography down the drain.

I find it hard to believe that Lori has actually gone to Germany. If Kostner is skating old programs, why would she need to?

Amei

Record Breaker
It seems incredibly risky for her first competition back from an injury to be the Olympics- if this is true.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
I find it hard to believe that Lori has actually gone to Germany. If Kostner is skating old programs, why would she need to?

Lori has been to Oberstdorf many times. And after all these years i would think Lori would be loyal enough to drop everything she is doing and go help her. She still hasnt skated the Bolero since March, i would think Kostner would need some work to get it back to peak performance.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Why would it be anyone's problem here whether Lori is being paid, which I'm certain she is and quite well. It's hardly high season for choreographic work so it wouldn't be odd at all for Lori to go to Oberstdorf. Carolina is her star client after all and the criticism of her programs this season surely hasn't gone unheard. Whatever programs and costumes she doesn't use for competitions can be used for shows so it's not a waste. I was thinking that Ave Maria would make a good SP. Although I liked the Humoresque program it was underwhelming. It's a lovely piece of music but when played in an arena it was so screechy. I loved her Bolero program and am glad she's going back to it. The Scheherazade is also now great as an exhibition.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I hope Kostner is able to compete, I want to see her revised Sherzenadze
I will be depressing if Sotnikova becomes European Champion

Lori Nichol should be hanged, drawn and quartered for giving Kostner two very substandard programs in an Olympic season. Kostner has had some exceptional programs in the last few seasons, it's like Nichol saved her worst for this one. She's proven she can do much better than this for her. Why this sudden loss of creativity and ideas in a season which matters the most?

Whilst I am very glad Kostner has scrapped both programs, it's a little late to be making such massive changes with the Olympics just around the corner. Her preparations will be far from optimal. Thanks for screwing up her last competitive season, Lori. :mad:

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
If Caro does go back to Bolero, I hope she and Lori Nichol work on rescheduling the elements to have the last 3S way earlier. Sure, the idea of having it in the last seconds was exciting, but the success rate didn't speak in favor of it. Plus, I think Caro must have felt quite tense up until that last second of the program, instead of letting completely go and ooze with charisma even more during the rest of the program after the last jump.

amc987

On the Ice
Carolina's going to need at least 1 competition before Sochi to get the kinks out of her new programs (Ave Maria is new and she hasn't competed Bolero since Worlds). Hope she skates at Euros! Even if she's terrible, it'll be much better than being terrible at the Olympics.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lori Nichol should be hanged, drawn and quartered for giving Kostner two very substandard programs in an Olympic season. Kostner has had some exceptional programs in the last few seasons, it's like Nichol saved her worst for this one. She's proven she can do much better than this for her. Why this sudden loss of creativity and ideas in a season which matters the most?

Whilst I am very glad Kostner has scrapped both programs, it's a little late to be making such massive changes with the Olympics just around the corner. Her preparations will be far from optimal. Thanks for screwing up her last competitive season, Lori. :mad:

I don't know if I'd go that far, but if I were Caro, I would have been bothered by the SP that Lori whipped up for Gracie. I think it would have been perfect for Carolina. I really hope she goes back to Bolero, which is the best thing Lori has done in ages. I don't really care about the SP that much because it's really just about getting enough points to be in medal contention.

Icey

Record Breaker
Lori has been to Oberstdorf many times. And after all these years i would think Lori would be loyal enough to drop everything she is doing and go help her. She still hasnt skated the Bolero since March, i would think Kostner would need some work to get it back to peak performance.
I was just thinking she probably has lots of last minute tweaking to do for her other clients and this late in the game they would have to come to Canada.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Caro does go back to Bolero, I hope she and Lori Nichol work on rescheduling the elements to have the last 3S way earlier. Sure, the idea of having it in the last seconds was exciting, but the success rate didn't speak in favor of it. Plus, I think Caro must have felt quite tense up until that last second of the program, instead of letting completely go and ooze with charisma even more during the rest of the program after the last jump.

I agree about the ending. Maybe put the double axel there? Or, end it the way Michelle did in her Bolero. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsEDGn0jRQk&feature=player_detailpage#t=266 The ending there was more effective than the program overall.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I agree about the ending. Maybe put the double axel there? Or, end it the way Michelle did in her Bolero. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsEDGn0jRQk&feature=player_detailpage#t=266 The ending there was more effective than the program overall.

I was thinking more along the lines of "be done with all the jumps sooner". I think landing a clean 2A after 4 minutes and 5 seconds would still be a big risk, and she'd be less tense during the last minute if there was no jump yet to come.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I appreciate Carolina is doing everything she can to win OGM or at least a medal. This woman has had three good chances to win a medal - this is probably the last one probably. I know there are a lot of caro fans and I have started to really appreciate her more as a skater. If I remember correctly there were many good reasons not to send her to the last olympics - I think Marchesi beat her at Nationals (or was at in respect to world's). Nevertheless Carolina has been given a lot of support from her national skating federation. I hope they make her skate at nationals if it hasn't occurred already. She has had her breaks:)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Caro is way better than the 3rd best Italian, so I don't see it being controversial at all if she makes the team without skating Nationals.